Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can definitely believe somebody important having a weird nerd crush on Velma.

If you want a too-long video considering all the Scooby characters through all their incarnations, here's one.

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t understand how this line of thinking doesn’t just end in “and since we can’t control how idiots will interpret it, we just shouldn’t make art in the first place”. Like, I absolutely do not get why giving a gently caress what the stupidest dipshits on Earth think, since the art would ostensibly not be for them or aimed at them. Like, imagine if Rebecca Sugar was like “I was gonna make Stephen Universe, but CHUDs would just think he was a gay little pussy, so why bother?”

I think there is some degree that networks care about or even over-value fan outrage (and certainly a lot of reboots will want to be well-received by earlier fans), but I'm not really sure which networks care more. I may also be too far removed from outrage channels to see what gets more outrage. Like I know there was a lot of outrage against Thundercats Roar and it kinda got buried as a result, but then Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I think by most measures was a more radical redesign, but it got a fair shot (well, mostly fair. Kinda cut a bit short prematurely).

Oh yeah, also forgot to mention OK KO, which while not a remake, is extremely nostalgic for the early 2000s and late 90s. And I guess it also illustrates how at that point in time, a lot of the early 90s shows ended up dying off upon having to compete with anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t understand how this line of thinking doesn’t just end in “and since we can’t control how idiots will interpret it, we just shouldn’t make art in the first place”. Like, I absolutely do not get why giving a gently caress what the stupidest dipshits on Earth think, since the art would ostensibly not be for them or aimed at them. Like, imagine if Rebecca Sugar was like “I was gonna make Stephen Universe, but CHUDs would just think he was a gay little pussy, so why bother?”

In much the same vein how a lot of artists have their works misinterpreted by the worst kind of people: You don't want your name or work associated with those assholes unless you know you're going to generate the ragebux.

Stephen Universe made itself very clear where it was going from the gate. So any co-opting of some dipshit CHUD attempts would blow up on its face.

Johnny Bravo is an absolute caricature and debatably deconstruction of the macho guy rear end in a top hat; but after four years of Trump and types like him trying to be that guy, I really don't want to see him appropriated by dipshits who are again, out for the ragebux.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

XboxPants posted:

CN's success at this bit right here can't be understated. A lot of you have certainly seen images like this, I imagine:

While they may not be bringing back the top creator of the show to do an exact retread of their original success, Cartoon Network, especially, has been doing just an incredible job of using shows as incubators to find new talent to bring out new ideas. We don't get "Flapjack 2", but we got Regular Show and Adventure Time, as well as successor shows that went to other networks like Gravity Falls.

I loved the old 2000-era CN shows like Courage and Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls just as much as everyone, but it's probably better to accept that they were products of a given time & place, and trying to recreate that endlessly just ends up with Simpsons syndrome. Better to move on with something new that still holds the spirit of the original.

There's definitely shows missing from this tree, like Rocko's Modern Life was a big one(SpongeBob came out of it and was more important for Phineas & Ferb than Family Guy as they first started pitching P&F while they were still on RML), and that's without diving even earlier

MJeff posted:

Okay hold on I'm actually into this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3la82bYtcPg

10-episode mini-series where Johnny tries to win Velma's heart, greenlight it, CN.

The world of Johnny Bravo never shied away from the fact that he was wrong for shamelessly hitting on women and he always got his comeuppance for it, but the show also never portrayed Johnny as being a bad guy. I dunno that I could trust a reboot to thread that needle in today's culture and I definitely don't think The Discourse would be willing to let it try.

Exactly

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Binged the entire new season of Close Enough this morning. The season finale upsets the status quo the tiniest bit so I hope they get another season to explore that. Overall I think I liked it more than season 2, but not as much as the first season. The Halloween episode has a pretty neat ending, too.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Hexmage-SA posted:

Binged the entire new season of Close Enough this morning. The season finale upsets the status quo the tiniest bit so I hope they get another season to explore that. Overall I think I liked it more than season 2, but not as much as the first season. The Halloween episode has a pretty neat ending, too.

Aw poo poo, I hadn't heard it was out! I'll have to watch it when I get the chance.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Being conscientious of changes in society and how that affects audience perception of a character archetype isn't a bad thing. The fact that some people would get the wrong message out of Johnny bravo shouldn't on it's own stop the show from being made, but if the show's subject matter necessitates that it will become a vector through which awful people can channel their awful views to people who otherwise wouldn't see them, ehhhhh...

Art doesn't exist in a vacuum and even if the creator intention isn't to align their art with the worst possible reading of it, if the state of society is such that the worst possible reading will also be a very popular one that should at least be a consideration

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So Human Resources (the monster-focused spinoff of Big Mouth) isn't really anything to write home about I guess, but it does have the Need Demon:

Which is animated like a deliberate riff on the afterlife counselor characters in Soul. And really a lot more interesting and fun to watch than the whole rest of the show.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You could tell me that was a still from an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force and I'd believe you.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

All these toon boom shows unfortunately kind of look the same due to similar production processes.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Data Graham posted:

So Human Resources (the monster-focused spinoff of Big Mouth) isn't really anything to write home about I guess, but it does have the Need Demon:

Which is animated like a deliberate riff on the afterlife counselor characters in Soul. And really a lot more interesting and fun to watch than the whole rest of the show.

I really wish the other emotion monsters were animated as creatively as the Need Demons, they are by far the best looking thing in the show.

That said, I actually enjoyed Human Resources for what it was. It's not the best thing ever, but I enjoyed the characters enough to get emotionally invested in their various plotlines (the love bugs, the shame wizard, the rock monster, and Cat Stevens were my personal favorites and I had a good time when they were on screen) and that one episode about grief and the death of a parent managed to strike a cord with me enough that it got me to cry (Frank Ocean's cover of Moon River contributed to those tears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXiFHDfvn4A Big Mouth and Human Resources both have surprisingly good music choices)

Like, I'm not going so far as to say it's a must see, but if you're looking for something on a lazy afternoon you could do a lot worse so maybe check it out. Better than Disenchantment, I'll certainly give it that.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

just checking in to say the great north is still unfunny

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mantis42 posted:

just checking in to say the great north is still unfunny

Me and my friends tried watching it once and it was not funny at all and there is not a single second where a character isn't talking or trying to tell a joke. Every second is filled with talking and it became exhausting to finish the episode.

Bob's Burgers I guess does that too but I dunno, it works on that show. Maybe the chemistry of the characters is just so clearly better I dunno.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It took American Dad a season or two to fully bud and break off from the Family Guy tree but eventually it became it’s own entity and surpassed Family Guy in terms of quality, so maybe it just needs more room to breathe… but personally I don’t think the Bob’s Burgers art style particularly warrants another show. We already have like 10 years of Bob’s Burgers, I don’t think folks were clamoring for “Bob’s Burgers, but cold” or “Bob’s Burgers, but Urban”.

It’s WILD to think that we’re in an age that has a glut of adult animated programming, such that you can pick and choose the ones you like. In 2007-8 you were basically priced in to watching the 4-5 adult cartoons that existed on different channels and then turn on Adult Swim before passing out at 3-5 AM

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

American Dad right now is very well-written and fantastic, way better than I ever expected it to be, but even back when it was new and still just a rough commentary on post-9/11 jingoism, it was such an energetic premise with really offbeat characters that couldn't help but command your attention. When I end up watching clips of Family Guy, what really strikes me is just how boring it is and how dull the characters are. (Well, that and the racism.) It is ridiculous to me that Family Guy felt comfortable giving up on Meg

I think a lot of sitcoms have really gotten away from the model of relying on a traditional nuclear family unit, and that has really freed animated shows to go do crazy things that wouldn't be possible in live action.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
My main problem with The Great North is.. all of the characters are just so passive. Things happen to them, they don't make stuff happen.

Bob's Burgers, they all have wants and motivations, or rivalries like a Jimmy Pesto, Mr. Frond, the Fischoeders or a Logan to really drive them nuts.

Beef.. owns a boat, doesn't have many rivalries, and is generally pleasant with just about everyone but his ex-wife.

Wolf.. pretty passive as well, usually dragged along by Honeybee.

Ham seems to be forgotten about most episodes, but he's pretty passive as well. Makes good cakes?

Judy is usually the most motivated, she find plots, but she's no Louise. There's no deep rivalries, schemes or tricks. She just wants to be a good kid, so the whacky adventures are limited.

Moon occasionally gets sucked into a flight of fancy, but never enough to really drive a plot into interesting.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

American Dad right now is very well-written and fantastic, way better than I ever expected it to be, but even back when it was new and still just a rough commentary on post-9/11 jingoism, it was such an energetic premise with really offbeat characters that couldn't help but command your attention. When I end up watching clips of Family Guy, what really strikes me is just how boring it is and how dull the characters are. (Well, that and the racism.) It is ridiculous to me that Family Guy felt comfortable giving up on Meg

I think a lot of sitcoms have really gotten away from the model of relying on a traditional nuclear family unit, and that has really freed animated shows to go do crazy things that wouldn't be possible in live action.

I've said this before but in a better world Family Guy would have used the episode "Don't Make Me Over" to write out Meg as a full time cast member while still leaving her open to appearances on the off chance of coming up with a relevant plot for her, same for Chris in that one episode where he gets sent to Carter's old private school, the show gets freed up from having to try doing plots for a teenage boy under 18* or from trying to do teenage girl plots at all and they probably save a lot of money by being able to drop their VA's as full time cast members(a lot of episodes you can really tell they only included Meg and/or Chris at all because they needed to justify paying Seth Green and Mila Kunis), but unfortunately their need to return things to the status quo at the end of episodes ruined it

*something I've come to realize is that if your show relies at all on Raunchy Humor then having a main cast member be a teen between 13 and 17 is more of a hindrance than a help, as they're old enough to engage in dating but too young to have sex(well usually anyways) so the writers end up having problems because for many Adult Animation shows it seems romance plots mostly exist to do gags about sex

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Chris seems to have been created just for dumb jokes, but then the writers remembered that they had Peter for that. So for like a decade they used him for masturbation jokes. Now they made it so he can understand Stewie and goes on adventures with him, except Stewie hardly ever goes on adventures anymore.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Family Guy is FOR SURE on the same life support as Simpsons, I watch one episode every 6 months and barely register what’s happening. Usually it just makes me remember I have Hulu and then I watch The Cleveland Show again.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like modern American Dad. Recently tried to do a rewatch to try and nail down when to tell someone to start. This is now several months ago but remember skipping most of the first 2 seasons for just being bad or offensive. And seasons 3-6 were also pretty dry.

I'm not sure where it really starts being good. Tearjerker is a good episode and is in season 3. It also misses what makes the best episodes really good but it certainly starts to show that the show knows how to have fun with the cast.

The play episode with Patrick Stewart is one of my favorite just for how surreal it is. (S8E10 according to a quick google, figure someone might want to watch and it is very much standalone)

pixaal fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 11, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Whenever they start letting Steve sing more is when it gets good.

https://youtu.be/wltTIJiIBiw

https://youtu.be/TSLTSInlKTc

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Really need him to get some song time on Orville. (He's the pilot!)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Family Guy started well then devolved into this angry, miserable mess where every character has been completely Flanderised. Meg is (justifiably) depressed, Chris is angry, Quagmire seems permanently irritated by everyone, Brian is a creepy loser, Peter and Lois are constantly on the edge of divorce, ditto Joe and Bonnie, the list goes on. And occasionally they try to make an episode serious or meaningful, and not once has it ever landed, because the cast have all become awful people and it's impossible to care about them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think I fully tapped out on the “Brian Takes Mushrooms” episode because it makes it crystal clear that the writers actively hate their audience and want us to suffer.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MJeff posted:

God, 2022 Johnny Bravo would be the worst loving thing. :laffo:

idk. i think you could do it still. bravo is never rapey or stalker, just horny/lonely, he is portrayed as well meaning but he isn't exactly rewarded for being a weird horny dude. you could probably make some rewrites and make it work.

Xelkelvos posted:

Leaning more towards the himbo momma's boy side of Johnny Bravo with him also extremely confident of his own masculinity and less on him being a shallow and shameless flirt. A bit like Cena's Peacemaker. Like, he'd have no problems joining a ballet troupe because he thinks one of the dancers is cute and has no qualms about wearing a leotard and a tutu, but he ends up being a giant primadonna in the middle of it and forgets why he joined in the first place. That sort of idea.

this. just lean into that and make him sorta horny but well meaning sorta like he always was.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Family Guy started well then devolved into this angry, miserable mess where every character has been completely Flanderised. Meg is (justifiably) depressed, Chris is angry, Quagmire seems permanently irritated by everyone, Brian is a creepy loser, Peter and Lois are constantly on the edge of divorce, ditto Joe and Bonnie, the list goes on. And occasionally they try to make an episode serious or meaningful, and not once has it ever landed, because the cast have all become awful people and it's impossible to care about them.

hot take but that feels like alot of animated/sit coms for a while. every couple bitterly hates each other and then once and awhile have make up sex. it took rick and Morty like 4 seasons to drop that plot line. its kinda sad when the most wholesome relationship in an adult animated thing belongs to an online cartoons about daemons from hell that work in a murder company. I am sure there are others obviously but thats from my knowledge.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Xelkelvos posted:

Leaning more towards the himbo momma's boy side of Johnny Bravo with him also extremely confident of his own masculinity and less on him being a shallow and shameless flirt. A bit like Cena's Peacemaker. Like, he'd have no problems joining a ballet troupe because he thinks one of the dancers is cute and has no qualms about wearing a leotard and a tutu, but he ends up being a giant primadonna in the middle of it and forgets why he joined in the first place. That sort of idea.

This is exactly what Mark Whalberg'a character does in The Other Guys (underrated movie). If I find the clip I'll edit it in.

Johnny would be a great platform for exploring masculinity in modern America. He's big, loud, and horny because that's his true self. There's no guile, no pickup artist bullshit. He doesn't ogle or manipulate hot women, he fearlessly approaches with romance "like a true gentleman". He has the Chad mindset that American nice guys think is a magic bullet, but he strikes out for reasons obvious to adults with social skills. Middle class men and women are taught to see his personality as threatening insensitive and brutish, while European creeps check all the right boxes on the social script. (My German lothario friend absolutely loves that Onion article). He's the embodiment of doing everything correctly for *you* while utterly failing to think about the other adult. In conclusion, Johhny Bravo is a land of contrasts.

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 13, 2022

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

hot take but that feels like alot of animated/sit coms for a while. every couple bitterly hates each other and then once and awhile have make up sex. it took rick and Morty like 4 seasons to drop that plot line. its kinda sad when the most wholesome relationship in an adult animated thing belongs to an online cartoons about daemons from hell that work in a murder company. I am sure there are others obviously but thats from my knowledge.

This is another way in which American Dad is superior. Stan and Francine truly love each other and they did a whole episode where they both learn they are shallow as all hell but that's ok because their shallowness fits with each other. There are still episodes where their marriage is tested but it never seems mean or vindictive like other shows.

Same with Jeff and Haley. Sure they piss each other off but they are good for each other and genuinely care. Ending that plotline by just marrying them already was the best move they made for both of their characters.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think Jeff and Haley being married is better than them not being married but the way they got there annoyed me in two ways.

1) I thought Haley/Reginald was cute and had significantly more runway in front of it. Felt like it just got dropped unceremoniously.
2) They had Jeff win Haley by saying some super romantic thing......and then never told us what he said. Because the writers couldn't think of a meaningful romantic thing Jeff could say that would be in character for him.

But Lost in Space is one of the best episodes in the series, so I let it slide.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
American Dad isn’t afraid to go full Dadaist surreal either, and it’s all the better for it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The way that American Dad can just be straightforward is itself subversive somehow. There's a lot of episodes where Stan is under threat and then the show just goes "remember how he's a CIA agent" and Stan just beats them up and continues on with what he's doing. Stan and Francine love eachother and also enjoy having sex. Multiple episodes hinge around Francine getting frustrated at Stan being away or holding out on her.

I think one of the big turning points of the series was when they "gave up" on Roger as a character, but doing that actually meant constantly using Roger in wild different personas that implausibly have a huge amount of background instead of trying to work default alien Roger into plots.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Roger being just as confused how he's multiple people is always a fun gag.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Analytic Engine posted:

This is exactly what Mark Whalberg'a character does in The Other Guys (underrated movie). If I find the clip I'll edit it in.

Johnny would be a great platform for exploring masculinity in modern America. He's big, loud, and horny because that's his true self. There's no guile, no pickup artist bullshit. He doesn't ogle or manipulate hot women, he fearlessly approaches with romance "like a true gentleman". He has the Chad mindset that American nice guys think is a magic bullet, but he strikes out for reasons obvious to adults with social skills. Middle class men and women are taught to see his personality as threatening insensitive and brutish, while European creeps check all the right boxes on the social script. (My German lothario friend absolutely loves that Onion article). He's the embodiment of doing everything correctly for *you* while utterly failing to think about the other adult. In conclusion, Johhny Bravo is a land of contrasts.

Heck Boomhauer from King of The Hill basically uses the exact same method for getting girls as Johnny but where we normally only see the 9 times out of 10 that Johnny fails*(because it's easier to do kid friendly humor that way), with Boomhauer we usually only see those 1 times out of 10 where he succeeds

*aside from the occasional episode where Johnny does actually get a date(albeit most of the time they end up being an animal or a werewolf or something), it is canon that Johnny isn't a Virgin

limp_cheese posted:

This is another way in which American Dad is superior. Stan and Francine truly love each other and they did a whole episode where they both learn they are shallow as all hell but that's ok because their shallowness fits with each other. There are still episodes where their marriage is tested but it never seems mean or vindictive like other shows.

Same with Jeff and Haley. Sure they piss each other off but they are good for each other and genuinely care. Ending that plotline by just marrying them already was the best move they made for both of their characters.

Now we just need Steve to get into a permanent romantic relationship*, cause man are the plots where he tries to get a girlfriend or at least laid extremely tired(heck they were worn out almost a decade ago when I did a tally of how many times they had done that plot and had gotten almost 50 in total, by this point that number has probably at least doubled)

*will slap anyone who suggests Snot, not because I have anything against Steve being gay or bi mind you, I just loathe Snot and the rest of Steve's friends

MJeff posted:

I think Jeff and Haley being married is better than them not being married but the way they got there annoyed me in two ways.

1) I thought Haley/Reginald was cute and had significantly more runway in front of it. Felt like it just got dropped unceremoniously.
2) They had Jeff win Haley by saying some super romantic thing......and then never told us what he said. Because the writers couldn't think of a meaningful romantic thing Jeff could say that would be in character for him.

But Lost in Space is one of the best episodes in the series, so I let it slide.

All of those points are very much true

The_Doctor posted:

American Dad isn’t afraid to go full Dadaist surreal either, and it’s all the better for it.

Well most of the time, the episode American Fung might be one of the worst things ever made in the history of Western Animation

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Part of me wishes that just for a season they did a full season without Roger to see how they’d handle writing without him to get them in or out of any situation

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Counterpoint: A full season of only Rodger.

The final episode will reveal they were all Rodger all along. That or Dallas, probably both.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

drrockso20 posted:

*will slap anyone who suggests Snot, not because I have anything against Steve being gay or bi mind you, I just loathe Snot and the rest of Steve's friends

Well you may as slap me now because Steve and Snot are endgame :colbert:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

snot... is good

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

drrockso20 posted:

Speaking of Steve's friends, when's the last time they've done anything with evil Barry?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Season 16, in the episode with Barry's swinger parents.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mantis42 posted:

Season 16, in the episode with Barry's swinger parents.

Which is absolutely worth watching for Steve going bananas.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, there's a running gag about Steve being into another woman, but there are other problems with that for reasons.

Nothin' wrong with Steve settling down with someone, but writers love to write their love stories, so tying down the last single guy would really get in the way. Steve is already more stuck in stasis than the rest of the cast from being in high school, so it's not easy for him to develop into something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I thought Steve and Debbie was a good pairing. Debbie was a funny character that could be funny without being bodyshame-y.

Or, well, the bodyshaming was portrayed as unambiguously bad and the characters were always punished for it at least. Which might be as good as you can get from an 00s-10s sitcom? :v: