Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Maybe someday they will fix Blood Weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I would've too but I had to figure out the format for the dang thing. I thought the Submit box was a search box you hit enter on.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I got it on the first guess too, which is honestly kind of concerning considering I've never done the content that song appears in and still knew its name. I... might have a problem.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ruffled shirts and the mats instantly disappeared when news about the gender lock being removed came out, so I think it's time I throw my guildies a Pagos party. It's been a while since I've been in there; if we're targeting just lockboxes (and not specifically the special rare ones) we want to do Fates rather than general mob grinding? Or is that just for maximizing the other drops?

What we actually target will depend on what people bring. I think I'm the only one who did all of Eureka.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Countblanc posted:

drk definitely isn't bad right now, but boy do i hear a lot of people who play drk exclusively in casual content talk about how bad it is

Oh I know! I had to sit through 2 expansions as an AST main listening to WHMs crying that they were being ignored and their class was bad and no one wanted to party with them while they were absolute god killer healers who barely had to think about healing ever all because WHM was not in the top 10% of parties clearing savage while still being able to easily do poo poo I had to sweat to accomplish. WHM mains are Gluttons who would not be satisfied with all the riches of Heaven.

People can be very dumb about class balance.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The poor Astrologians of Stormblood where the job was at its absolute nadir and White Mages were the only healer anybody would accept in any content except for some enlightened Savage raiders. Dark times.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
The only class balance I care about is which classes get the sweetest glams.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Hogama posted:

The poor Astrologians of Stormblood where the job was at its absolute nadir and White Mages were the only healer anybody would accept in any content except for some enlightened Savage raiders. Dark times.

WHM was fine in StB. They just weren't the absolute best thing and guaranteed in parties like the last expac

There were WHM players in the thread on this forum during StB that would complain and ask when they were getting buffs and I was out there effectively Solo healing Godka on AST seething.

Hell I swapped to WHM for some reclears and had an actively easier time. The problem was always a ghost haunting the mind of WHM players. Hell comes ShB where AST was dogwater to play and WHM again, stayed as powerful as always, they still complained about being weaker than AST.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 9, 2022

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Firebert posted:

your healers probably curse your name under their breath.

GOOD

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
SB was bad because that's when the meta meme hit its worse, and you'd have pf with healers locked to sch/ast, and dps locked to drg, brd, nin, caster.

The excluded jobs weren't bad, but for whatever reasons the meta mindset just loving broke people.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/hakoott/status/961986074217127936

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

SB was bad because that's when the meta meme hit its worse, and you'd have pf with healers locked to sch/ast, and dps locked to drg, brd, nin, caster.

The excluded jobs weren't bad, but for whatever reasons the meta mindset just loving broke people.

Yeah exactly. It was never an issue of the classes not being good, it was just PF being weirdos, which is pretty typical of PF but it was extra bad then for some reason. It's why it annoyed me to see so many players cry their class wasn't strong enough when it absolutely was meanwhile I was struggling on a 'Meta' class that actually did need some love.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah exactly. It was never an issue of the classes not being good, it was just PF being weirdos, which is pretty typical of PF but it was extra bad then for some reason. It's why it annoyed me to see so many players cry their class wasn't strong enough when it absolutely was meanwhile I was struggling on a 'Meta' class that actually did need some love.

Weird how everyone else asking for buffs for their class was unjustified, but the class you played was the one that truly needed buffs. Funny how that works out.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Got enough tomestones to get this Treasure Trove's hairstyle and with that, I'm done with the Main Scenario duties before the patch. Also ended up having enough regular tomestones to get the Scaeven Maiming gear.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

CJ posted:

Weird how everyone else asking for buffs for their class was unjustified, but the class you played was the one that truly needed buffs. Funny how that works out.

I played both (which you would have understood if you had actually read the conversation) and it was PF being PF. Also AST got basically a complete rework the next expac and WHM didn't so clearly there were some issues.

Also weird how you comment on balance issues of classes when you don't even get all your skills.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The complete rework being that every card became the best card with a percentage shaved, and losing the ability to extend the duration.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

As someone who mains a healer job without Benediction, Dark Knight is the worst tank

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I played both (which you would have understood if you had actually read the conversation) and it was PF being PF. Also AST got basically a complete rework the next expac and WHM didn't so clearly there were some issues.

Also weird how you comment on balance issues of classes when you don't even get all your skills.

didn't lilies get completely changed from SB -> ShB? WHM also clearly wasn't in as good a place as you're trying to say it was

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Red Metal posted:

didn't lilies get completely changed from SB -> ShB? WHM also clearly wasn't in as good a place as you're trying to say it was

Lilies were completely useless in SB. They didn't really affect the job's effectiveness.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Rap Game Goku posted:

I, I might play this game too much.

What's your favorite movie?

Oh wait, I see.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whats the pro strat for grinding event tomestones. trying to see if i want to try to get the special earring between now and uh whenever maintenance is. basically at 0 right now after cards and minions

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe

Super No Vacancy posted:

whats the pro strat for grinding event tomestones. trying to see if i want to try to get the special earring between now and uh whenever maintenance is. basically at 0 right now after cards and minions

blue mage aurum vale groups

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

WHM was probably the worst healer in StB, though way better than it was in HW. Of course FFXIV isn't so tightly balanced that you absolutely need the best jobs to clear content, even Ultimates, so it didn't really matter a ton.

As for StB PF getting a bit too into meta party comps, I think that class design was partially to blame for that. Slashing and especially Piercing Down debuffs meant certain jobs got completely hosed over by bad party comps and that just feels bad, even if you didn't need them to clear.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Aurum Vale BLU group -- ~6 min each (lots of variance here, seen 4 to 10+ and just picked one for easy math), 40 tomes an hour if no downtime.
AV with Grand Company NPCs -- 12-15min, 20 tomes an hour, might be able to get it faster if you know their quirks. If Warrior had our self-heals at that level I'd be plowing through it but the NPC healer gets distracted by shiny things.
PvP -- 3 or 5 per match based on win, 12-20 per hour, really depends on match length
AV or Pharos solo as Blue -- my gut says 10 minutes if you have a good toolbox, but I haven't done it lately that'd be 24 an hour.
Castrum/Prae/Dun Scath -- I think these all come out to 12-15 an hour in the long run, but less gogogo effort.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thanks. my blu is 61 looks like youre supposed to have ultravibration from 68?

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Bruceski posted:

AV with Grand Company NPCs -- 12-15min, 20 tomes an hour, might be able to get it faster if you know their quirks. If Warrior had our self-heals at that level I'd be plowing through it but the

Yeah if you have solid tactics you can cut it down to 10 min pretty consistently.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

It really didn't help that we still has jobs w/ slashing/piercing/blunt resistance debuffs for mobs and that Dragoon was the only loving job that had piercing resistance so if you didn't have a DRG your BRD/MCH automatically suffered a 5% damage penalty compared to just having any.

My static's then BRD still has the comment where he misses disembowel in his profile. Me playing samurai for 4.0 still hurt him.

edit: It also didn't help that TA was still the greatest raidwide buff so either you had NIN and DRG or you did something non optimal.

Also WAR was the only tank with slashing debuff so if your tank comp was PLD/DRK you needed a SAM (Its so long I don't remember if they had it. They should!) or NIN to give slashing.

Fiye fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 10, 2022

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe

Super No Vacancy posted:

thanks. my blu is 61 looks like youre supposed to have ultravibration from 68?

the mob that gives ultravibration is level 68, but you can still get it before level 68 as long as you're able to survive long enough for the monster to use it then die

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1512807571152728065?t=vEpIwB5PM94NtZTXtnJKiA&s=19

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
They really up'd the ante going from the first song being Moebius, to the second being Watt's Anvil, the Dwarf tribe area theme.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I hope the upcoming EX's second phase lasts longer than the regular version's so you can hear the song for longer

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Fiye posted:

Also WAR was the only tank with slashing debuff so if your tank comp was PLD/DRK you needed a SAM (Its so long I don't remember if they had it. They should!) or NIN to give slashing.

SAM did have slashing down but they didn't put it up in their normal opener until like 8th GCD so if they were the only slashing slashing down in the group they would have to run a different, weaker opener to get it earlier.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
e: Oh wait, forgot Yuki did that.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

e: Oh wait, forgot Yuki did that.

Wait, Yuki had a purpose previously? Beyond the Sen Gauge I mean.

Darn, I kind of wish it still did. But I’m not sure what.

I’ve recently mused on how to keep the gameplay feel of Kaiten without it being so boring in terms of actual mechanics (I.e. always Kaiten before Iajutsu).

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Red Metal posted:

the mob that gives ultravibration is level 68, but you can still get it before level 68 as long as you're able to survive long enough for the monster to use it then die

oh that was easy. got missile and rams voice on my first attempts too phew

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

gently caress, I was screaming internally the whole time progging that as a healer. I can't wrap my head around doing it with just one.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lord_Magmar posted:

Wait, Yuki had a purpose previously? Beyond the Sen Gauge I mean.

Darn, I kind of wish it still did. But I’m not sure what.

I’ve recently mused on how to keep the gameplay feel of Kaiten without it being so boring in terms of actual mechanics (I.e. always Kaiten before Iajutsu).

Yeah. Totally slipped my mind but it was a slashing down in 4.0.

Removing Kaiten is such a low effort "fix" in a world where Shoha 2 and Hissatsu: Senei still exist.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah. Totally slipped my mind but it was a slashing down in 4.0.

Removing Kaiten is such a low effort "fix" in a world where Shoha 2 and Hissatsu: Senei still exist.

Ehhhh, the actual wording for the fix is being misconstrued. They’re removing Kaiten not for button/hotkey bloat but for action bloat. As in actions that you press in a rotation too often that don’t provide meaningful gameplay. In this case Kaiten before every Iajutsu.

It’s still dumb, but I understand what they’re intending. Aoe or single target isn’t action bloat it is button bloat, because you would never use those actions in the same scenario.

My fix for the record, is making Kaiten a charge system mechanic that modified your next Iajutsu into a different one (themed around Zenos Blade Swell and Storm techniques). Either that or modified the next combo finisher into an Iajutsu.

These would give unique Sen (layered over the normal gauge) that then allow you to cast Ogi Namikiri was an Iajutsu based on those Sen, and passive buffs whilst you held them. But because it is on a charge system, you don’t use it before every Iajutsu.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Countblanc posted:

I hope the upcoming EX's second phase lasts longer than the regular version's so you can hear the song for longer

From what I understand, the EX starts from Phase 2, only making it an actual phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

gently caress, I was screaming internally the whole time progging that as a healer. I can't wrap my head around doing it with just one.

this ast solo healed both e12s and p4s week 1, its just their thing