Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://twitter.com/lapatina_/status/1512877988316078080?s=21&t=Sao8cdYurmx2dWSEz1Brag

I am deeply concerned about what the Russians would be dropping that it would need a parachute to protect the plane dropping it. Like what in the US arsenal requires a parachute besides a daisy cutter or maybe a Moab?

From the replies on that thread, low altitude drop or cluster munition dispenser both sound plausible. I don't think it's necessarily a ludicrously large explosive.

Not to say that dumping cluster munitions all over a city isn't deeply concerning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

zoux posted:

Parachutes are to protect bombers? I always figured it was due to some property of the bomb

If the explosion is big enough and/or the plane is low enough, you need to slow down the drop so that the plane has time to get out before the explosion happens. (There might be other reasons to use them but that’s the one I’m familiar with.)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

raminasi posted:

If the explosion is big enough and/or the plane is low enough, you need to slow down the drop so that the plane has time to get out before the explosion happens. (There might be other reasons to use them but that’s the one I’m familiar with.)

Parachutes were apparently used on older bombs with less sensitive altitude sensors to make sure of an airburst, but not sure how relevant that is in 2022. Maybe on Russian equipment that's still necessary?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wingnut Ninja posted:

From the replies on that thread, low altitude drop or cluster munition dispenser both sound plausible. I don't think it's necessarily a ludicrously large explosive.

Not to say that dumping cluster munitions all over a city isn't deeply concerning.

Yeah, which is kind of odd since low flying is basically asking for a MANPAD special.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Some bombs also use a parachute to line up the bomb for maximum penetration, see the Durandal for example. This looks a bit big for that though.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yeah, which is kind of odd since low flying is basically asking for a MANPAD special.

If you're able to drop precisely enough while staying entirely above MANPADS range, then yes, but if not, it kind of makes sense to instead go as low and fast as possible to make it harder to target you. In that situation, a parachute retarded bomb would be useful.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wingnut Ninja posted:

If you're able to drop precisely enough while staying entirely above MANPADS range, then yes, but if not, it kind of makes sense to instead go as low and fast as possible to make it harder to target you. In that situation, a parachute retarded bomb would be useful.

I don’t attribute to much about precision and the Russian Air Force, unless it’s a hospital or civilian target that isn’t defended. Of course I’m not saying that as a gotcha thing, just that the Russian Air Force well seems like they suck long and hard to quote Sean Connery.

Edit: Some excellent news.

priznat posted:

https://twitter.com/paulmcleary/status/1512841964193869828

I wonder if they can launch them from within Ukraine to hit docked ships in Crimea using TB-2 for initial targeting, probably more accurate than the Tochka.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://twitter.com/lapatina_/status/1512877988316078080?s=21&t=Sao8cdYurmx2dWSEz1Brag

I am deeply concerned about what the Russians would be dropping that it would need a parachute to protect the plane dropping it. Like what in the US arsenal requires a parachute besides a daisy cutter or maybe a Moab?

Any sort of FAE. You want the bomb to disperse its volatile payload before the warhead sets off the explosion. Could also be something dropped out the rear end end of an aircraft by drogue chute.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

They're called differently abled bombs now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

lightpole posted:

A bridge strike could do something cause it would take out critical personel/equipment. Very low chance you do something with a fuel strike, the explosive tanks (JP5) should be topped off and inerted, the bunker tanks are unlikely to cause catastrophic failure with a direct hit.

Ordinance would have to be break bulk and concentrated to cause catastrophic failure I would think, you would need a chain reaction or something so everything lights off. There are plenty of regulations on moving explosives since there's a lot of experience with poo poo blowing up on ships even if its just blasting caps. Its not impossible, just very unlikely I think.

Given what we've seen of Russian logistics so far, it's very possible that shipboard cargo could very well be break bulk and improperly handled. Don't forget that ship they lost last month to a cargo fire.

Tomn posted:

I dunno about their inability to repair in theater - isn't Sevastopol a major fleet base and half the reason why Russia wanted Crimea in the first place?

It's also very close to the combat zone, and there's only one bridge that connects it to uncontested Russian territory. Getting supplies in and and might be tricky if Russia needs to repair seriously damaged ships.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 9, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orange juche posted:

Any sort of FAE. You want the bomb to disperse its volatile payload before the warhead sets off the explosion. Could also be something dropped out the rear end end of an aircraft by drogue chute.

That was kind of my concern can you imagine dropping something like that in the middle of a populated city?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I don’t attribute to much about precision and the Russian Air Force,

Well yeah, that's specifically why I could imagine them using that kind of low-tech solution if there was something they actually wanted to target precisely - they aren't able to do it any other way.

Though, ugh, FAE is also depressingly plausible.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Well its not something like a Daisy Cutter, BLU-82s were very short, very fat 15,000 lb bombs, which actually weren't FAE's they were just an absolute shitload of GSX in an m&m candy shell with a long rear end fuze on one end basically. It could be an actual FAE of course since those are smaller, but i am not a Russian weapons expert.

Daisy Cutter/MOAB are way larger than any FAE can be, pretty much. FAEs don't make as big of a boom.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So since this is all full hot is the plan for Ukraine to re-take Sevastopol etc?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That Works posted:

So since this is all full hot is the plan for Ukraine to re-take Sevastopol etc?

It looks like Ukraine took compromises off the table once it turned out Russia was killing civilians for sport.

Strategically, taking Crimea would cut off a major Russian supply route into the southern Donbass while letting Ukraine contest the Kerch Strait.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Word in the mod forum is that there's some severely hosed poo poo on Twitter coming out of Ukraine involving sexual assault on young children. It's been posted elsewhere in the forums already.

If anyone posts that here they're going to eat a ban+30 at a minimum.

IKs, if you see anything like that I'd like you to edit out any URLs and ping me on Discord immediately. Do not hit them with a sixer, they've changed the code so that any additional probations require admin approval to keep IKs from using sixers to shorten probes on their buddies and I want to hit them with the full day so they can't keep posting while the ban goes through the queue.

McNally fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 9, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

and this is why GIP remains the best forum for actual discussion

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
:sigh:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

McNally posted:

they've changed the code so that any additional probations require admin approval to keep IKs from using sixers to shorten probes on their buddies

Lmao what

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The system used to override an existing probation with the most recent one so if you had a buddy on a week probation you could throw a sixer at him to spring him from it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Surely nobody would abuse that function

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Surely nobody would abuse that function

My friend, have you ever heard of Radium?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

McNally posted:

Word in the mod forum is that there's some severely hosed poo poo on Twitter coming out of Ukraine involving sexual assault on young children. It's been posted elsewhere in the forums already.

IKs, if you see anything like that I'd like you to edit out any URLs and ping me on Discord immediately. Do not hit them with a sixer, they've changed the code so that any additional probations require admin approval to keep IKs from using sixers to shorten probes on their buddies and I want to hit them with the full day so they can't keep posting while the ban goes through the queue.

I’m gonna need hazard pay.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

FrozenVent posted:

My friend, have you ever heard of Radium?

Ra, Ra, Radium
SA's greatest (?) code dum-dum

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

McNally posted:

Please save me from having to track this stuff down. Are these Russian War Crimes or Ukrainian War Crimes? I'm sure I know the answer, I'd just like to KNOW know. You know?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

McNally posted:

The system used to override an existing probation with the most recent one so if you had a buddy on a week probation you could throw a sixer at him to spring him from it.

Wait, hold on, if an IK gives a sixer, a mod can't immediately turn it into a 24, because the code designed to prevent IKs from turning long probes into sixers just does that reciprocally somehow? :psyduck:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s a thing a Russian did

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Did I not see a tweet in this thread about it? I extremely didn't click it wherever it was

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kazinsal posted:

Wait, hold on, if an IK gives a sixer, a mod can't immediately turn it into a 24, because the code designed to prevent IKs from turning long probes into sixers just does that reciprocally somehow? :psyduck:

The only thing I’ve learned in my time on SA is that the forums code is held together with volunteers’ blood seat and tears, bailing twine, and hope.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

A.o.D. posted:

Please save me from having to track this stuff down.

You don’t have to! Just don’t! I follow a lot of the news about this conflict and I haven’t had any of them embed it or link it, because I don’t scan shady as gently caress telegram channels etc. Plus, anyone poring over the video to try to establish the legitimacy or whatever is breaking their brain and possibly laws over something that is absolutely awful yet is not going to shift control of towns and bridges or determine diplomatic outcomes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

MrYenko posted:

The only thing I’ve learned in my time on SA is that the forums code is held together with volunteers’ blood seat and tears, bailing twine, and hope.

Don’t forget the load bearing slurs.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

A.o.D. posted:

Please save me from having to track this stuff down. Are these Russian War Crimes or Ukrainian War Crimes? I'm sure I know the answer, I'd just like to KNOW know. You know?

Russian. I didn't see any video, and the picture I was linked to on Twitter was thankfully blurred, but :nms: we're talking 3-year old victims.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Always reminds me of this log snippet a previous coder (zdr maybe?) posted once.

"someone has stolen your trees" is one of my favourite nonsensical error messages and I have definitely used it in something that never went to production as the generic "something went wrong" error string.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Russians were doing in occupied zones. Some victims were too young to speak. Don't look into it for your mental health. Just a summary was more than i wanted to know

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
You'll never catch me linking gore here or elsewhere, because there is poo poo that people don't need to see. However, there's no point in sheltering myself. There are already images I'll take with me to my grave unless Alzheimer's or TBI does me the favor of erasing them

Just be clear there's no way in hell I'm going to go looking for this poo poo

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 10, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I remember this being discussed in this very forum days/week ago, just don't link that poo poo here, and trust me, don't look into it, for your own mental health, and also potentially breaking laws in your home countries. Leave that poo poo to law enforcement and people whose job it is to deal with it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It was so far beyond the pale that the Russian authorities claim to have arrested the perpetrator instead of screaming false flag, I'll leave it at that.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
RIP random conscript.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

shame on an IGA posted:

It was so far beyond the pale that the Russian authorities claim to have arrested the perpetrator instead of screaming false flag, I'll leave it at that.

:stare:

I've only heard a very vague description of what the video entails, and I'm pretty confident that is enough on its own to prevent most sane people from wanting to see it. Why anyone would run to the forums to post it is beyond me.

RFC2324 posted:

and this is why GIP remains the best forum for actual discussion

Not an empty quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yeah the bridge strike I think is far more feasible and the other relies far more on Russian incompetence, based on what you’re saying.

Also if a bridge strike went really well, you potentially could get a fairly high-ranking naval guy, which would be a nice little propaganda coup.

Bridge strikes are a: hard to line up at range and b: not enough of a mission kill to give a surface craft that fired it a chance to survive (unless maybe these are air launched brimstone). If you're going to build a Kaiten navy, there's better ways than hoping for a bridge strike.

Edit: will definitely ensure you have to defend your LSTs, however.