Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was looking through past LPs and stumbled upon Crow's LP of Panzer Dragoon: Remake. In it he mentioned a remake of the sequel game, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, was coming out in 2021. Did a remake ever come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was looking through past LPs and stumbled upon Crow's LP of Panzer Dragoon: Remake. In it he mentioned a remake of the sequel game, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, was coming out in 2021. Did a remake ever come out?

No, not yet. It was supposed to be out in 2021, but has now been bumped up to "????" in terms of release date. The team behind PDR barely got it working properly when it shipped and had to patch a million holes in it after the fact, so I'm not surprised a more complex game like Zwei is giving them even more trouble. If it ever releases I might LP it, but that's a huge IF right now on both fronts.

Thanks for watching the LP though!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
What was that extremely hosed up cone and orb based 3D board game that was played in teams on this forum?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

goblin week posted:

What was that extremely hosed up cone and orb based 3D board game that was played in teams on this forum?

axiom?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3922993

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hey just a heads up, if say you did an LP of a game and it would implode cause some streamer streamed the game, then people youtube it and find you, just do yourself a favor and loving delete every one of those videos. As soon as the views start coming in just loving smack that delete button and be sure to ring the "Yes, delete forever" prompt. Just loving do it, you wont get enough views to go viral and make money off it but you will get people hounding you to do more of that one game nearly half a decade after the fact as if you do have that obligation.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Leal posted:

Hey just a heads up, if say you did an LP of a game and it would implode cause some streamer streamed the game, then people youtube it and find you, just do yourself a favor and loving delete every one of those videos. As soon as the views start coming in just loving smack that delete button and be sure to ring the "Yes, delete forever" prompt. Just loving do it, you wont get enough views to go viral and make money off it but you will get people hounding you to do more of that one game nearly half a decade after the fact as if you do have that obligation.

Who streamed what to the point where it blew up and every 12 year old idiot started screaming at you?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Leal posted:

If you reply to all of them with 'bitch pay me' they will eventually leave you alone. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Are you allowed to cackle gleefully if someone actually pays you though?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Cooked Auto posted:

Are you allowed to cackle gleefully if someone actually pays you though?

No, because then you'll actually have to LP for the internet hordes and their collective 8 IQ.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

BisbyWorl posted:

No, because then you'll actually have to LP for the internet hordes and their collective 8 IQ.

When did I say I'd be playing anything? Of course we cackle. :colbert:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
It doesn't really get bad until people start asking you for technical support for game bugs, instructions for how to do things that are tutorialized in the game and also described in the manual, and probably worst of all, asking you to provide walkthroughs of the things you do in the videos they're watching. Most questions about the videos can be answered by watching the videos. And they come in many languages. I think Google Translate has a file on how many languages I've asked it to translate "Press the button" into. Oh, and if there's a woman in any of the videos, there will be comments with timestamps to when the camera zooms in on parts of them.

Requests for me to LP other games in the series trailed off ages ago by comparison. Which is kind of funny, because I do plan to do that. Eventually.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I'm great at just ignoring people.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm so glad I got spared of all that. I think the weirdest comment I got was for one of the Chaos Theory videos on Viddler that I made a bunch of communist jokes that made someone really salty.
But my old LP videos, at least the HAWX ones still get pretty solid views. Even if they're admittedly really bad by my (slightly increased) standards of today.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Who streamed what to the point where it blew up and every 12 year old idiot started screaming at you?

Like 5 years ago someone named sovietsomething streamed arma 3 and now half a decade later I still get people leaving me comments on it telling me to go back, to the point I finally turned off comments on every one of those videos because I got sick of seeing a notification and its yet another arma comment. Now they have taken to going into other videos to leave comments about arma.

E: I legit had a moment of joy when I checked my analytics and there wasn't one single arma video my top 10 most watched for the month. Sadly its right back to status quo with those videos getting more views in that month than the majority of my non arma stuff gets in its lifetime

TeeQueue posted:

If you reply to all of them with 'bitch pay me' they will eventually leave you alone. :v:

I should do that, if I can get a liveable wage being a niche LPer I too can become a soulless husk who plays the same game over and over. Maybe I can be the one that tries to start a streamer union over a specific game, show those warhammer 3 streamers how its done. I could commission someone a vtube avatar of an anime girl with a commissar hat, I'm sure they'd like that

Nidoking posted:

It doesn't really get bad until people start asking you for technical support for game bugs, instructions for how to do things that are tutorialized in the game and also described in the manual

I have had people leaving comments asking what mod puts a little highlight over soldiers/vehicles that will show if they're hostile or friendly. Its an option in the base game. I have had people asking me how I give commands to my soldiers. There is a tutorial for that. I have had a comment asking how to go prone

I haven't done a video on that game in over 4 years and have started (and abandoned) like 5 other things since then, time to move on!

Leal fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 8, 2022

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
see i have an extension that blocks youtube comments anyway so i don't see poo poo people comment even on my actually public videos :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Leal posted:

I should do that, if I can get a liveable wage being a niche LPer I too can become a soulless husk who plays the same game over and over. Maybe I can be the one that tries to start a streamer union over a specific game, show those warhammer 3 streamers how its done. I could commission someone a vtube avatar of an anime girl with a commissar hat, I'm sure they'd like that

What's funny is that I know exactly who you're referring to despite never having actually watched any of their content.

Hell, direct them to my channel, my Arma 3 videos could need some more views outside of my online circle of friends who are usually in those videos anyway. :cheeky:
So I can probably ignore them in the end, but it'd get more views out of it!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

see i have an extension that blocks youtube comments anyway so i don't see poo poo people comment even on my actually public videos :v:

I had one of those ages ago that just nuked any comment section on a website but it broke over time sadly. Was nice while it lasted though.
But having a script that makes the YT video windowed fullscreen does help push that stuff way out of sight.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Leal posted:

I will never stop yelling at you to do another Neptunia LP.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Leal posted:

I should do that, if I can get a liveable wage being a niche LPer I too can become a soulless husk who plays the same game over and over.

Hey, look, listen... I've been streaming the exact same game for three years straight with nothing in between and I'm well adjusted*. Probably because I got less "famous" since it's a niche game in a niche genre and I'm using a very niche way to play.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cooked Auto posted:

What's funny is that I know exactly who you're referring to despite never having actually watched any of their content.
It's good. As someone who gets very little out of the "me and my idiot friends loving around" genre, that's a sterling example of how anything can be salvaged with judicious editing (and subtitles).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oddly enough the algorithm hasn't even given me any clips with them, despite it loving to dump random Warhammer content maker videos that I invariably ignore because it's all awful anyway. v:v:v

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Leal posted:

I have had people leaving comments asking what mod puts a little highlight over soldiers/vehicles that will show if they're hostile or friendly. Its an option in the base game. I have had people asking me how I give commands to my soldiers. There is a tutorial for that. I have had a comment asking how to go prone

Reminds me of ages ago when in an issue of Nintendo Power, they felt the need to publicly answer the question about Mario RPG "How do I make Mario get out of bed?"

I'm still shocked the response wasn't "HAVE YOU TRIED EVERY BUTTON ON THE CONTROLLER?!"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Arma? Don’t even know her

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mega64 posted:

I will never stop yelling at you to do another Neptunia LP.

Alright, look

When I play 5 hours of Neptunia, I get 5 hours of LP footage.

When I play 5 hours of Arma, I crawl across a field and then get one shotted at the end and have to scrap it all

Namtab posted:

Arma? Don’t even know her

Arma going crazy

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Leal posted:

Alright, look

When I play 5 hours of Neptunia, I get 5 hours of LP footage.

When I play 5 hours of Arma, I crawl across a field and then get one shotted at the end and have to scrap it all

Arma going crazy

Arma gettin outta here!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Let me tell you, you're about to lose and Arma nd a leg posting like that!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ah dang cant probe admins...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I guess that's as good a time as any to admit that I tried to probate astral once.

Not because they did anything to deserve it but because I wanted to prove that I can probate admins.

I could not.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
But apparently mods can probate other mods!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mega64 posted:

But apparently mods can probate other mods!

How unfortunate.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Mega64's rap sheet is too clean for an '08 reg anyway.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Sally posted:

ah dang cant probe admins...

When Arma meets Sally.

I just got a taste of what happens when your channel gets raided by an outside community. I've made a couple of tutorials for a VTT mapping tool and one of those got more views than my current LP total viewcount (between all videos) in a single day.

Also I had to hide my first comment/user :allears:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

Here I was, thinking that when I tried playing Arma, I was doing something wrong. But that's just the way the game is, huh.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

After having sunk 3000 hours into the game I can only say; a little of column A, a little of column B.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
I finally got around to deploying my setup to start something that I rather enjoy in the form of basically live streaming and recording my gaming sessions as Let's Plays and was wondering if anyone might be able to lend some helpful information. I currently have two started up at the moment.

I relocated from streaming on Twitch primarily because there isn't any one game that I could play for thousands of hours to build an audience to begin with, I have an extremely inconsistent schedule and I change games quite often and usually have several things going at the same time to keep everything fresh and keep myself from burning out.

I also put some effort into quality and the low rear end upload bitrate for Twitch made my stream look like garbage.

Being able to archive and playlist my livestreams with the higher default upload bitrate was kind of a no-brainer. I could just stream my sessions and save myself the need from editing and automagically archive everything I have going on and keep it all nice and tidy.

The first is a vanilla Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch playthrough and the second is an Elden Ring pseudo RP run as Magus from Chrono Trigger trying to emulate Magus in both look and function in the game and trying to beat it with that build.

I'm finding difficulty with two separate things at the moment. The first is commentary while alone. I am finding it difficult to remain engaged in speaking when I am alone and know next to nothing about the game (RE: Ni no Kuni) other than muttering about what is currently happening in the game and hot takes on the scripting or what is transpiring in the script at any given moment. I thought about reading the text dialogue that doesn't have the VA treatment but I don't want to burn my own voice out and I'd likely have trouble keeping voices straight or serious at all.

I guess I am just looking for some feedback on things I am doing that I should keep doing, things I am doing that I should stop doing and quality control before I start any threads to enhance discussion on the activity and expose my efforts to the greater public.

Elden Ring: Chrono Trigger Magus RP Part 01

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Part 01

Sincerest apologies if my content makes you die inside, I'm trying to do better. I promise.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I think the thing you need to ask yourself is: Why are you doing this? I don't mean it to suggest that you should stop, but as a serious question you don't appear to have asked yourself. What are you hoping to accomplish? What is your purpose for streaming and recording yourself and your gameplay in this way? It doesn't have to be profound. "Because it's fun" is a good enough reason, if that's your answer. But really search your motives. Are you trying to become popular and gain a big following, or influence? Do you want to have an audience to interact with? Do you want to create a unique perspective on the games you stream? Do you want to draw attention to less-known games and show something novel to people who might not be aware of it? Do you want to show off games that you love and think deserve more interest? These are almost all admirable and meaningful goals, but they all demand different approaches and suggest different improvements to your setup. I clicked on a few random parts of your Ni no Kuni video and didn't really see any attempt to reach any of those goals. I'm going to be very harsh: I didn't think it was particularly entertaining. I saw a few attempts at humor that didn't land for me, and no benefit to having your face on the screen and having to tell the viewers when your HP was getting low because you were covering it. I didn't feel like your commentary, what little there was, added much to the experience. That may not be consistent throughout the two-hour-long video, but since you're asking for advice here, I suspect that it is. That's the bad news. The good news is that I don't think there's anything objectively wrong with any of it. It's not very good, but it's certainly not especially bad. It just doesn't offer anything that grabs my attention and makes me want to watch two hours of it when I could watch anything I choose. If I were more interested in the game, I might play it in the background while doing something else.

As it is, I don't think you'll find the audience you want for your particular content here. I could be wrong - there are people here who will watch some of the most surprising things - but I think a thread featuring the video I saw will mostly lead people to ask "Why are you posting this here? What is this thread doing other than hosting links to your videos? Why is this one video so long? Where are the breaks for us to discuss the game, and possibly feed information back to you for upcoming videos?" I've watched and enjoyed threads composed of streamed videos, but usually by people who have been posting LPs here for some time, established a rapport, and perhaps most importantly, work in groups that tend to generate entertaining commentary. When I choose a game to play for a thread, I always ask myself why. Why should people watch me play this game? What about this game, or this playthrough, will be something that only I can offer, or something that's worth having more of out there? Sometimes, that means changing my format, or searching for commentary partners, or playing the game in an unusual way. Sometimes, it leads to me deciding not to record that game, because I don't have a reason to. And above all, I enjoy it. If I stop enjoying it, then it's time to abandon it or take a break to recharge.

So, with that in mind, ask yourself: Why are you doing this? And let your answer inform your process. Are you just doing it to have fun? Are you having as much fun as you'd like? If not, think about ways to make the process more fun for yourself, and don't worry too much about what viewers will want. If the livestream format is that important to you, maybe you would work well with a co-commentator. Sometimes, two or three people who can just have fun together can make an LP work. (Example: A fair majority of Game Grumps videos.) Are you looking for more viewers? Then you'll probably need to cater to algorithms and do a bunch of things that will really make people tell you not to post here. Is it something about the games you play? Then think about what it is about those games that makes you want to stream them and bring that to the streams. It may mean being more selective about the games you play - perhaps RPGs don't work well with your style, and you'd get better results with a more action-heavy game. Maybe you'd do better with games you're more familiar with. There's also always the Let's Stream thread, where you can announce streams and let people come to them if they're interested. That might get you some viewers without needing to worry about what will make a good thread or who will want to watch your videos.

In summary, I think you're going to be the driver of any improvement you want to make, and it will depend on what you think needs to improve. I hope that's helpful.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

Nidoking posted:

I think the thing you need to ask yourself is: Why are you doing this? I don't mean it to suggest that you should stop, but as a serious question you don't appear to have asked yourself. What are you hoping to accomplish? What is your purpose for streaming and recording yourself and your gameplay in this way? It doesn't have to be profound. "Because it's fun" is a good enough reason, if that's your answer. But really search your motives. Are you trying to become popular and gain a big following, or influence? Do you want to have an audience to interact with? Do you want to create a unique perspective on the games you stream? Do you want to draw attention to less-known games and show something novel to people who might not be aware of it? Do you want to show off games that you love and think deserve more interest? These are almost all admirable and meaningful goals, but they all demand different approaches and suggest different improvements to your setup. I clicked on a few random parts of your Ni no Kuni video and didn't really see any attempt to reach any of those goals. I'm going to be very harsh: I didn't think it was particularly entertaining. I saw a few attempts at humor that didn't land for me, and no benefit to having your face on the screen and having to tell the viewers when your HP was getting low because you were covering it. I didn't feel like your commentary, what little there was, added much to the experience. That may not be consistent throughout the two-hour-long video, but since you're asking for advice here, I suspect that it is. That's the bad news. The good news is that I don't think there's anything objectively wrong with any of it. It's not very good, but it's certainly not especially bad. It just doesn't offer anything that grabs my attention and makes me want to watch two hours of it when I could watch anything I choose. If I were more interested in the game, I might play it in the background while doing something else.

As it is, I don't think you'll find the audience you want for your particular content here. I could be wrong - there are people here who will watch some of the most surprising things - but I think a thread featuring the video I saw will mostly lead people to ask "Why are you posting this here? What is this thread doing other than hosting links to your videos? Why is this one video so long? Where are the breaks for us to discuss the game, and possibly feed information back to you for upcoming videos?" I've watched and enjoyed threads composed of streamed videos, but usually by people who have been posting LPs here for some time, established a rapport, and perhaps most importantly, work in groups that tend to generate entertaining commentary. When I choose a game to play for a thread, I always ask myself why. Why should people watch me play this game? What about this game, or this playthrough, will be something that only I can offer, or something that's worth having more of out there? Sometimes, that means changing my format, or searching for commentary partners, or playing the game in an unusual way. Sometimes, it leads to me deciding not to record that game, because I don't have a reason to. And above all, I enjoy it. If I stop enjoying it, then it's time to abandon it or take a break to recharge.

So, with that in mind, ask yourself: Why are you doing this? And let your answer inform your process. Are you just doing it to have fun? Are you having as much fun as you'd like? If not, think about ways to make the process more fun for yourself, and don't worry too much about what viewers will want. If the livestream format is that important to you, maybe you would work well with a co-commentator. Sometimes, two or three people who can just have fun together can make an LP work. (Example: A fair majority of Game Grumps videos.) Are you looking for more viewers? Then you'll probably need to cater to algorithms and do a bunch of things that will really make people tell you not to post here. Is it something about the games you play? Then think about what it is about those games that makes you want to stream them and bring that to the streams. It may mean being more selective about the games you play - perhaps RPGs don't work well with your style, and you'd get better results with a more action-heavy game. Maybe you'd do better with games you're more familiar with. There's also always the Let's Stream thread, where you can announce streams and let people come to them if they're interested. That might get you some viewers without needing to worry about what will make a good thread or who will want to watch your videos.

In summary, I think you're going to be the driver of any improvement you want to make, and it will depend on what you think needs to improve. I hope that's helpful.

Thanks, that is helpful. I feel the same about the Ni no Kuni VODs. I was having a hard time not being bored playing that game, it has a VERY slow start and is extremely hand-holding at the beginning for quite some time.

I'm not entirely certain what my overall goal is, but I do enjoy it as a hobby. It's fun to mess around with the tech and video editing and learning how to do the things I want to do. I also enjoy games a lot more when I have people to talk to while I am playing, it's much more engaging and entertaining for me and keeps me lively during a session.

I am just getting started and trying to figure out where this all will land and work for me. If it just so happens that my solo-play games are boring and aren't worth sharing, that's not a big deal. It just happened to be what I was in the mood the play at the time I started recording.

I can stretch my legs into other games I play regularly and do some VODs for D2 or something and see if that changes anything. I do want to continue to produce entertaining content for fun and while I am not terribly concerned with the success, I also don't want to contribute things not worth watching.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

theSpokeyDokey posted:

I also put some effort into quality and the low rear end upload bitrate for Twitch made my stream look like garbage.

Regarding this: Check your settings in your broadcaster.

You'll want to look for something like this in the encoder settings for your twitch broadcasts. My twitch stream looked like poo poo no matter what I did, and it turned out it was because I was hard limiting it to 1000 kbps. I upped it and the problem was solved immediately.

You'll also want something called Adaptive CBR on to prevent dropped frames just in case as well, at least on xsplit. No idea about others, but hopefully this helps a bit.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

theSpokeyDokey posted:

Thanks, that is helpful. I feel the same about the Ni no Kuni VODs. I was having a hard time not being bored playing that game, it has a VERY slow start and is extremely hand-holding at the beginning for quite some time.

I'm not entirely certain what my overall goal is, but I do enjoy it as a hobby. It's fun to mess around with the tech and video editing and learning how to do the things I want to do. I also enjoy games a lot more when I have people to talk to while I am playing, it's much more engaging and entertaining for me and keeps me lively during a session.

I am just getting started and trying to figure out where this all will land and work for me. If it just so happens that my solo-play games are boring and aren't worth sharing, that's not a big deal. It just happened to be what I was in the mood the play at the time I started recording.

I can stretch my legs into other games I play regularly and do some VODs for D2 or something and see if that changes anything. I do want to continue to produce entertaining content for fun and while I am not terribly concerned with the success, I also don't want to contribute things not worth watching.

If you're streaming a game, then it doesn't matter that much whether the game is boring, what matters is whether you're boring. If you're putting your face in the corner of the screen, it's because you're making yourself part of the content - and that means it's up to you to enhance the good moments and cover for the dull moments, basically.

RPGs and other slow-paced games are often harder to stream, though - the slower pace, relative lack of surprising moments, and lack of need for twitch reflexes all mean that you often need to put more into it to make it entertaining.

I'd say that streaming isn't exactly the same as Let's Playing, though. Since streaming is live entertainment, you have to carry through all the long boring parts that'd get edited out of a LP, and most of your viewer interaction is on the fly during the stream rather than in a thread between videos. With some effort, streaming can be integrated into a LP, but I don't think it's something that just comes naturally - it's something you have to plan for and keep in mind when you're running the streams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

TeeQueue posted:

Regarding this: Check your settings in your broadcaster.

You'll want to look for something like this in the encoder settings for your twitch broadcasts. My twitch stream looked like poo poo no matter what I did, and it turned out it was because I was hard limiting it to 1000 kbps. I upped it and the problem was solved immediately.

You'll also want something called Adaptive CBR on to prevent dropped frames just in case as well, at least on xsplit. No idea about others, but hopefully this helps a bit.

Oh yeah, no I mean getting hard capped at 6000 for Twitch. On YouTube, I can go up to 9000. Looks much better there for me.