Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not familiar with that Queen song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

God drat it make it an actual remake and not a lazy half assed port.

e-or somehow a new title actually done by a not hosed up Matsuno

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 7, 2022

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Tactics Ogre Fat Bottomed Girls. Make it so

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Denam and Vyze at the Olympics (Bicycle Race)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Don't do this to me, Square. I know it's just going to be some shoddy mobile game, but I can dream.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
tictacs ogre: orange

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Alxprit posted:

The performance issues are nixed now that the day 1 patch is available to previewers. This has been happening more and more lately, stay vigilant about issues that might only exist before games go out to all consumers.

Clearly I didn't get that day 1 patch when I bought it last night because the performance is abysmal and there's even significant input lag. I would genuinely recommend the original over this remaster.

Especially given that unlike this remaster, the original will run at a consistent 60 fps at modern resolutions in an emulator with the settings tuned right. And even the original assets actually look pretty decent when they're not being viewed at 240p or whatever.

Dross fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 7, 2022

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Dross posted:

Clearly I didn't get that day 1 patch when I bought it last night because the performance is abysmal and there's even significant input lag. I would genuinely recommend the original over this remaster.

What platform are you on?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Alxprit posted:

What platform are you on?

PS5

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

chrono cross ftw

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Hm, okay. I heard about the patch for Switch, maybe it's different for other ones. Guess we'll see!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Alxprit posted:

The performance issues are nixed now that the day 1 patch is available to previewers. This has been happening more and more lately, stay vigilant about issues that might only exist before games go out to all consumers.

That's great to hear. I'm short on trust for the publisher that did FFVII:RI and SOP:FFO.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Is this the thread for Chrono Cross talk? Going borderless windowed and forcing vsync and 60fps helped a lot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Is this the thread for Chrono Cross talk? Going borderless windowed and forcing vsync and 60fps helped a lot.

Yeah I wanna know where CC remastered talk is going to be held.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Leal posted:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Tactics Ogre: Under Pressure

A crossover set in the Omikron universe.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/NewerDCD/status/1503258411709861889?s=20&t=M5PxJMN9DVIEVJP6cvnCZw

EDIT: Just saw it was an older tweet so apologies if this was already posted :v:

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Stranger of Paradise rules, I had a big dumb smile on my face when the credits rolled.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
If you had to describe the way you did it, would any two words come to mind?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Jacked Off

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Leal posted:

Now we’re talkin’

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Leal posted:

YoshiP already said no butt sliders.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm In Love With My Car: Ogre Battle Racing, LET'S GO

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So SoP got an update and was that Auto Dismantle feature there before?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i guess this is only tangentially ff related but i saw this about the chrono cross remaster earlier wrt framerate stuff and 😔 https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/1512793185575129092

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

It's pretty dire.

I took a couple youtube vids to compare:

RD edition on PS5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm-MD5Nt-y0

Original upscaled with the emulated CPU overclocked in RetroArch on Xbox Series X:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7HJYgRRQO4

Yeah, the RD edition's models look a little nicer, but the stark performance difference seems not worth it. RD edition actually performs worse than the original on original hardware.

I've also noticed some strange input issues on RD edition, where even just running from place to place it will kind of hitch and I'll stop for a split second (it happens a couple times at about 1:13 and then again at 1:47 in the video above), alongside some pretty serious menu lag in battles.

Dross fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 10, 2022

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
egad that's just bizarre

if it gets cleaned up a bit I'm tempted to get the PC version and screw around with it a bit. it would be cool if it were possible to mod the game lightly to make the relief charm available at all times and not just in new game plus. that's the item that allows you to switch out serge for someone else in battle and I think it could spice up the game a bit were you able to do that without already overpowering everything in new game plus.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I’m amazed people haven’t done more mods for Square games like that dude did with Moguri mod for FFIX. That shits magic.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Disappointing Pie posted:

I’m amazed people haven’t done more mods for Square games like that dude did with Moguri mod for FFIX. That shits magic.

I think one of the big things that drove Moguri to be made was that FF9 has really, really detailed background artwork, arguably more so than other games of the same era. it's just incredibly blurry due to tech limitations of the time, so there's a ton of incentive to clean that up.

I think it might also have to do with the fact that modding for the Steam version had gotten sufficiently advanced and well-understood by the time AI upscaling became something a person could reasonably do, just a perfect storm of potential.

it could well happen with the CC remaster eventually, but it'll take time for people to figure out the guts of the game before we get there

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

At the start of disc 3 in FF9, is it possible to have the moogle get all their mail or will there always be at least one missing?

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Arbite posted:

At the start of disc 3 in FF9, is it possible to have the moogle get all their mail or will there always be at least one missing?

from memory I think it's possible to get all of them, but there's not really any penalty for missing any of them. there's a sidequest accessible in disc 4 that involves a chain of mognet deliveries but you don't get locked out of it if you miss previous deliveries if that's what you're thinking

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So.....what is the chance for a patch coming down the pipeline from Square that'll fix the framerate issues? Chrono Cross is one of my favorite games of all time, and I was really looking forward to having it on my ps5 (space for my ancient ps2 is hard to come by). But with the issues I saw....it just doesn't seem worth spending money on it rather than just using an emulator or whatever.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Madmarker posted:

So.....what is the chance for a patch coming down the pipeline from Square that'll fix the framerate issues? Chrono Cross is one of my favorite games of all time, and I was really looking forward to having it on my ps5 (space for my ancient ps2 is hard to come by). But with the issues I saw....it just doesn't seem worth spending money on it rather than just using an emulator or whatever.

Not impossible, they did patch in the original graphics for Chrono Trigger's PC port.

The hard part will be what's causing it, though. I can't imagine it's a deliberate design feature, but it might end up being very difficult to fix.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

dracula vladdy AF posted:

I think one of the big things that drove Moguri to be made was that FF9 has really, really detailed background artwork, arguably more so than other games of the same era. it's just incredibly blurry due to tech limitations of the time, so there's a ton of incentive to clean that up.

I think it might also have to do with the fact that modding for the Steam version had gotten sufficiently advanced and well-understood by the time AI upscaling became something a person could reasonably do, just a perfect storm of potential.

it could well happen with the CC remaster eventually, but it'll take time for people to figure out the guts of the game before we get there

Here's hoping for a better gameplay mod than the one I just beat again a couple months ago. That's all I want from a CC mod.

I'm still waiting on Nocturne HD getting a gameplay mod, though, a whole year later.

Also for some reason there are barely any FFX gameplay mods, and the ones that do exist ae for the PS2 version, not PC. A very detailed and overall pretty good one just came out a few months ago, although I hope the person who made it reverted back to the version I got. I heard he made it so Braska's Final Aeon and stuff was leveled up to be harder than Penance. Good fuckin' luck getting me to ever try that poo poo. I'll hold onto the version I got forever.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I heard he made it so Braska's Final Aeon and stuff was leveled up to be harder than Penance. Good fuckin' luck getting me to ever try that poo poo. I'll hold onto the version I got forever.

I haven't really played many FF mods made by other people much in the last several years (except for New Threat), but back in the day, like mid-late 00s and such, it seemed like any mod that was sufficiently iterated on for long enough eventually seems to wind up over-tuned like this. it's like how in FF Tactics 1.3, the idea of "sandbagging", where you are in a situation where you are repeatedly reviving party members over and over again while the enemy does the same thing and you wait until an opening, wound up being a feature of the main version of the mod instead of it being a moment where the people making it realized "whoops we made the least engaging emergent gameplay possible."

it's especially annoying because you'll see descriptions of stuff in a mod and be excited by the possibilities, but then it turns out that combat is a complete life-or-death struggle 100% of the time and there's just no chill. these games are all easy once you play them enough, but mods tend to go way too far into the other direction. even some versions of New Threat have had problems with that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

I haven't really played many FF mods made by other people much in the last several years (except for New Threat), but back in the day, like mid-late 00s and such, it seemed like any mod that was sufficiently iterated on for long enough eventually seems to wind up over-tuned like this. it's like how in FF Tactics 1.3, the idea of "sandbagging", where you are in a situation where you are repeatedly reviving party members over and over again while the enemy does the same thing and you wait until an opening, wound up being a feature of the main version of the mod instead of it being a moment where the people making it realized "whoops we made the least engaging emergent gameplay possible."

it's especially annoying because you'll see descriptions of stuff in a mod and be excited by the possibilities, but then it turns out that combat is a complete life-or-death struggle 100% of the time and there's just no chill. these games are all easy once you play them enough, but mods tend to go way too far into the other direction. even some versions of New Threat have had problems with that.

It's a common trap you see 'hard games' with player input fall into; their difficulties get skewed to hell, because even if they start out with a decent level of difficulty, they inevitably fall into a hole where the people providing the most input are the people who are really into the difficulty and get very good at its quirks, so at some point the complaint becomes 'this is too easy', so it's tuned up to challenge them, and then they get good enough that that's not a challenge and it's made even harder, and so on.

You see it with FF difficulty mods, Mario World romhacks (which then leaked into Mario Maker), Darkest Dungeon...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The only version of New Threat I beat completely was back in 2014 and even in that version SC included an optional fight with some apparently super broken version of Jenova he had made for an earlier version of NT. So I definitely see what you mean. A lot of game mods are lazy garbage but some, like NT, or FFVIII Crystal are awesome and I'd fully recommend them. I need to get back to the latest version of FFVI Return of the Dark Sorcerer which is much improved from the one I played about three or so years ago. It now has character restricted espers which is great, but it also allows you to apply a patch to remove that restriction if you so please. It has a lot more options like that than the version I mostly beat.

The FFX mod by the way is this if anybody cares
https://mega.nz/file/MglkHbrT#C7UEqb1G0UBaiWcnwOUndinA3Ovn2PEaao42YWeRfHk

Now I have 2.6a, I have no idea if this 2.6F is the version with the superpowered BFA. I would assume so since somebody warned me about it at about this time. It's a shame though because I liked other changes in the mod. I never found it unfair or unfun. I never recommended it on here because I wanted to finish it first but I have a bad habit of leaving games unfinished this last year and this mod is one of those games I wandered off from. I got up to after Yunalesca and stopped. I really should get back to it but I have so much other stuff on my mind right now.

He largely removes gimmicks from bosses. For example, you will almost certainly never be able to knock Chocobo Eater off the cliff. It's not impossible I'm told but I never could make it happen, I just killed it every time. SinSpawn Gui's Head is no longer targetable so it will always get off Venom. The Al Bhed Tank magic negating thing shows up at the start of the fight but will never respawn after being destroyed so its Mana Cannon is always a problem. Stuff like that.

These are largely whatever changes for me but they might turn others off so fair warning.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
E:fb

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There's a Discord for FF modding that's also working on Chrono Cross.

Kinda sucks to find things but it's gonna be more comprehensive than NexusMods or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

FFVI Pixel Remaster talk kinda got swept under the rig when Stranger of Paradise came out, but I'm working through it now and I really really love it.

There are some really great touches that make every environment unique. I just went through Mt Zozo to find Cyan and the sun is rising so the backrounds are covered in mist, you can see the buildings from Zozo poking up through it too!

The soundtrack remaster is excellent. No duds yet, except the pan pipes during the overworld in the WoB remind me of going to eat at an Ecuadorian restaurant.

The spell and ability effects are totally different and unique and there are billions. I mean, I'm working through the rages and dances with Gau and Mog just so I can see what they look like. I'm so glad they changed them up from the rest of the remaster.

Aside from the cool stuff the meat of the game is the same, it's still easy, I'm still steamrolling everything despite not grinding. There's some weird bugs kicking around despite getting patched a couple times and it still lacks controller support for some reason.

Game good. Game fun, it's nostalgia properly done.