Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

NFTs are scams and every scam artist should face pushback on their scams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

quote:

He has no game credits, has not appeared as “Patrick Comer” on any public game plays, and (far less important, but still telling) he never tweeted about TTRPGs before 2021.

I don't especially disagree with most of what people are saying, but I did definitely feel a twinge of pain at this part. No design credits is fair, and no organized play experience is actually pretty dire for the type of thing he's trying to push, but conflating design credits with starring in podcast actual-plays and tweeting as ways to be taken seriously as a RPG designer just feels like a glimpse into a dark future

Like, I think judging someone on any of those instead of the game itself is lovely, but in absence of details on the game system being pushed it feels weird specifically to hold someone not podcasting/hot taking against them. The general point of "a project like this requires trust that the person knows what they're doing" is a good one--I'm just nervous about what metrics people are using to measure that

Or am I misunderstanding what 'public game plays' means?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tibalt posted:

NFTs are scams and every scam artist should face pushback on their scams.

You have to love a fraudulent enterprise which itself has frauds so strongly ingrained as a thing they've codified a term for them and it's even expected even as everyone assumes it won't happen to them as a self-defense mechanism. It's been funny as people vanish into the night with more and more of other people's money, said people start yelling for some sort of centralized NFT authority which is against the point, if I may stretch the term 'point' to its breaking point.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

OtspIII posted:

Does Roll20 and other sites make it possible to see which players played together? Because I take it as more like playing in such a way that there is a record, like a forum post or sign up rather than making a podcast about it. And while it's not the only way to play, showing that you've actually interacted with the type of game you are trying to make is a good thing. Though who the hell uses their real name to sign up for elf games on the internet?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm guessing that public game plays are things like crit role or dimension 20 or whatever, not 'we're going to scrutinize to see if you've ever played dungeons and dragons'.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

OtspIII posted:

I don't especially disagree with most of what people are saying, but I did definitely feel a twinge of pain at this part. No design credits is fair, and no organized play experience is actually pretty dire for the type of thing he's trying to push, but conflating design credits with starring in podcast actual-plays and tweeting as ways to be taken seriously as a RPG designer just feels like a glimpse into a dark future

Like, I think judging someone on any of those instead of the game itself is lovely, but in absence of details on the game system being pushed it feels weird specifically to hold someone not podcasting/hot taking against them. The general point of "a project like this requires trust that the person knows what they're doing" is a good one--I'm just nervous about what metrics people are using to measure that

I mean, now that you mention it, it is hosed up. But I feel like society at large pushing social media as something that needs to be a perfect reflection of your inner desires and also a public record which those with power will use to judge you is a bigger problem than this thread is equipped to talk about.

(I don't think this article is a particularly bad example of that issue, though. Mostly because you can objectively say "I have control-F'd this man's social media presence and he has never talked about D&D before last year", but you can't objectively say "this guy sounds like someone trying to talk about D&D like a long-time D&D player, not like a D&D player", and they'd want this article to be relatively objective that way.)

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Oh my God, I can just see it: Rules Lawyers

I'm so mad I missed that joke. Just an absolute embarrassment.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I can see CollegeHumor slapping their watermark over rips of it already.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The skit already exists and it's pretty great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ido61qVbgqI

(there's a series of them but this is the first and the best imo)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

OtspIII posted:

Like I said, there are levels to this poo poo, some random unknown person comes in and says hey I have a great idea for X and want to make/talk about it, I don't particularly care their experience in this or any space or if they have ever mentioned anything about tabletop games or their philosophy or if they've played them at all.

I might laugh and chuckle to myself if it sounds bad or stupid or whatever, and probably wouldn't personally kickstart or back that project but other than that god speed to that person, I hope it turns out well.

The level where someone is coming in saying they are going to completely revolutionize something, and that revolution is going to involve people spending hundred to thousands of dollars on a (extremely likely) NFT scam to be left holding the bag, while the creator screws over people who buy in. You should extremely be looking into the history of those people and use that history as a data point.

You don't base everything off that one data point, or red flag, but marking something down as a red flag seems extremely fair in this situation.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

OtspIII posted:

I think they're expressing some incredulity at casual assertions that someone who has been a "lifetime D&D player" has never once publicly remarked on playing D&D before they started building this for-profit NFT scheme. I don't know how active the guy's twitter account has been over the years, but the article itself also admits it's not as big of a deal as the other points of not engaging with the D&D or wider TTRPG community at any point before all this.

I agree with MadScientistWorking that the article could better articulate that this is a concern because they're developing a new online play platform, and already said in the article they're going to have to heavily rewrite parts of 5e D&D to make it work on their format. And there's no sign they have any idea how to manage an online TTRPG community, organized play, or any real evidence of quality houseruling or game design work.

But yeah anyway it'll be interesting to see what happens when the bottom falls out of this whole project as soon as the 10k NFTs don't sell.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ve been playing D&D on and off for 30 years, but I don’t think I’ve ever tweeted or posted publicly on Facebook about it or anything.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve been playing D&D on and off for 30 years, but I don’t think I’ve ever tweeted or posted publicly on Facebook about it or anything.

Same, but I feel like if was gonna run a multi-million dollar scam off of it, I'd probably start tweeting a few months in advance.

Honestly the fact that he didn't load up his public feeds with every stray thought and market-tested notion about D&D for half a year kind of suggests he's the sort of incompetent NFT scammer who probably thinks he's come up with the one genuine use case that will legitimize the ugly ape ponzi scheme! It feels like classic techbro "I've found the solution to a problem that no one has, full steam ahead!"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's particularly frustrating seeing a venture like this when like, we live in an age where TTRPG interest (granted, mostly D&D but still) is surging and games are more accessible than ever through online tabletop formats, but every virtual tabletop is missing a few key and useful features the others offer. There's certainly space for some ambitious group with millions to burn to make a VTT that combines all the best features in one place. There's opportunity to monetize it through subscriptions and premium features and maybe a storefront to sell PDFs and gaming tools on?

But here they don't even have the gaming space designed yet and they're trying to profit off of it?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Basically if you sieve out all the RPG you get "I have an idea for an NFT with a game element, and it looks remarkably similar to several similar ideas that have been tried recently, all of which failed both miserably and immediately, several of which were actually designed to fail while enriching the idea person."

Some big NFT racing game with the Formula 1 license shut down this Monday. They flamed up huge, with some car NFTs selling for like 300,000 dollars, but those tokens are now 100% worthless. The company that made the game is currently promising its pissed off playerbase a bunch of replacement cars and race passes and proxy assets and poo poo, all of which are just more NFT ecosystem crap designed to keep these people trapped chasing bubbles forever.

So the question becomes is there some thread somewhere in a race car fan forum where people are saying "This game would have made it if the devs loved race cars enough"? Answer: Probably yeah, people are dumb. But are they right and does that question even matter? No. It's the lipstick on the pig.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

lightrook posted:

I wonder if it would be fun to play as something National Park Service-adjacent. It would explain why the characters are federal employees with esoteric survival skills, firearms access and training, and absolutely not enough funding.

In the Adventure Zone Monster of the Week arc, this is what one of the McElroys does and it slays.

I'll hold my tongue about why I think the arc is terrible.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Subjunctive posted:

As funny as it is to think about, a history of posting to Something Awful Traditional Games is still more of a footprint than this dude has.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's particularly frustrating seeing a venture like this when like, we live in an age where TTRPG interest (granted, mostly D&D but still) is surging and games are more accessible than ever through online tabletop formats, but every virtual tabletop is missing a few key and useful features the others offer.

Which are these?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/SRMacFarland/status/1512643657983176704 This is an almost comically-perfect example of the whole "who even are these people?" aspect to Gripnr. A panel on Tabletop NFTs with four people who have no involvement in tabletop gaming whatsoever, Patrick Comer whose involvement is "plays D&D at home, now wants to NFT-ize the hobby," and one actual person with some sort of established credits on RPGs people have actually played, who is currently trying to use the death of Scott Bennie (a designer who worked for Interplay on Fallout and various TRPG projects) as some sort of inspirational rallying cry for how the blockchain is totally going to revolutionize the industry and do right by creators.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

hyphz posted:

Which are these?

I can rattle off a few across the VTTs I recall off the top of my head but I'm sure some people who have worked with each one can give more pros/cons for each.

Roll20: Having an accessible free version is a big benefit here. Having a huge community because of that and a lot of fan-supported or officially-managed character sheets. D&D and some other games also sell official campaign stuff there, so you can have some nice preconstructed tokens and maps to work with. The basic grid format is alright but it doesn't work quite as well for hex-based navigation. It's a lot of work to create sheets or update them if there's not already one there though. You can also automate a lot of the dice rolling but it can also be a pain to set up macros. The music integration was also neutered due to Copyright issues and that sucked.

Foundry: A great VTT for the supported systems on it, though you have to buy it of course. Then you have to decide if you're going to self-host or opt for a hosting service that will likely be a bit more on top. If you do want to put money down, the features on it are probably better for the price point versus the ongoing subscription poo poo Roll20 does. Plus, only one person needs to buy and host it. D&D Beyond actively hooking into it like it does is a big benefit, of course.

Tabletop Simulator: Also a paid thing, but everyone has to buy it to play. It has a lot of fan mods of varying quality but (at least in my experience) it's even more annoying to do custom content. Having the 3D components is really fun though. It's harder to set up fancy boards that look as immersive as 2D maps can visually look, I suppose, but there is something pleasing about 3D minis and dice. The visual shorthand the 3D objects provide can be really nice and communicate a lot more and more quickly than the 2D tokens and such can. Managing sheets and poo poo is also godawful in it.

Fantasy Grounds: Old and kind of janky and the biggest upfront cost, but it has got direct support for Pathfinder, D&D, Call of Cthulhu, and more. You can buy books and use them right on the platform. Definitely uplifted just by having so much first party material baked right into it for a plethora of games.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TTS is also a loving awful resource hog and, y’know, the transphobia thing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mors Rattus posted:

TTS is also a loving awful resource hog and, y’know, the transphobia thing.

Yes, that too. Sorry, I was trying to rush out a post before a game started.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Does Roll20 get some kind of kickback from WotC? It’s unusual that it can carry such a number of free users. Compared to some of the world building servers or Hero Lab even the standard subs are cheap.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

hyphz posted:

Does Roll20 get some kind of kickback from WotC? It’s unusual that it can carry such a number of free users. Compared to some of the world building servers or Hero Lab even the standard subs are cheap.

People end up buying stuff, like you buy a module, or a token pack regardless if you pay for the sub or not, and also you then are stuck in their ecosystem, because sunk cost.

Also don't they have ads?(if you don't have an ad locker lol.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 11, 2022

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

OtspIII posted:

"You have no apparent experience doing this, so giving you money to do this seems like a bad idea" is a fair comment.

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, but you also aren't saying "give me money for an online game."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Even if you are saying "Give me money" there's just a fundamental difference between

"Give me money to buy a book/supplement/magazine of dubious quality, that if it's bad, sucks, but isn't thaaat big of a deal"

vs

"Give me a lot of money to get in on the ground floor of this play to earn model of TTRPG's where you playing games will (theoretically) increase the value of this "investment" you made into this character sheet"

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Dexo posted:

People end up buying stuff, like you buy a module, or a token pack regardless if you pay for the sub or not, and also you then are stuck in their ecosystem, because sunk cost.

Also don't they have ads?(if you don't have an ad locker lol.

Do they sell that regularly? That's single sales for continuous costs, so it presumably needs some form of regular content introduction. Some users are concerned about Foundry development eventually collapsing for that same reason.

Then again the online business model is seriously broken by businesses running at a loss in the hope of being bought by tech giants, and/or the warping effect of things like Patreon, so I guess it's no surprise.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

hyphz posted:

Do they sell that regularly? That's single sales for continuous costs, so it presumably needs some form of regular content introduction. Some users are concerned about Foundry development eventually collapsing for that same reason.

Then again the online business model is seriously broken by businesses running at a loss in the hope of being bought by tech giants, and/or the warping effect of things like Patreon, so I guess it's no surprise.

My guess is Roll20 does not operate at a loss in that way.

It's been around since like 2012, People buy official 5e/Cthulu/Pathfinder etc modules and compendiums to run(at full prices like a 5e book is 50 bux), and like the overhead cost if someone doesn't actually buy anything is minimal, as they don't get access to a number of the features that would actually stress the servers, like lighting, and scripting.

The cost is nowhere near as high if someone just logs in and plays a game with their friends on the free tier as you probably think it is.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

OtspIII posted:

part of The Glimmering/Gripnr's pitch is that they're going to hire GMs to lead campaigns for the owners of the NFTs, so I guess if you're pitching your ability to provide unique high-quality campaigns it'd help if you'd have some evidence that you've put together campaigns for public consumption before, like a real play podcast

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
If they'd done any research they'd have known they were in for even more of a tough sell than other NFT bullshit. From die-hard adherents to specific editions or releases to people interested in fancy art and feelies like miniatures to those who might be interested if they addressed long-standing mechanical/design issues in D&D, a lot of the potential marks are out before you can even start with the selling spiel.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Like a lot of NFT gaming scams part of the selling point for the initial offering is that you’ll have something other people won’t as a way to straight buy social status. You’ll be an important figure in the local d&d group because you bought a powerful character. The d&d mainstream renaissance of the last few years has set up a bunch of suckers who have no idea what an actual game dynamic looks like but are primed for being sold a ticket to bigshotdom.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

xiw posted:

Like a lot of NFT gaming scams part of the selling point for the initial offering is that you’ll have something other people won’t as a way to straight buy social status. You’ll be an important figure in the local d&d group because you bought a powerful character. The d&d mainstream renaissance of the last few years has set up a bunch of suckers who have no idea what an actual game dynamic looks like but are primed for being sold a ticket to bigshotdom.

My favourite "clueless about DnD but gently caress it, I'm gonna write about it anyway" is always Disney. Jesus christ nobody at Disney knew what the gently caress DnD was.

This is my favourite example.

There's just so much to unpack.

- Completing a full campaign of DnD(lets say 2e) with 25 one hour sessions.
- Comic book store is literally the size of a warehouse, but also they keep it secret.
- the employees literally run up to new customers and tell them to gently caress off
- grown men are scared their dnd characters will be killed by other DnD characters

Runner up is the Lizzie MacGuire episode where one of them gets addicted to DnD, its portrayed as a board game, and they spend all of their money on equipment cards and they kidnap him and torture him by tearing his arm hairs out with duct tape. :shepicide:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

- the employees literally run up to new customers and tell them to gently caress off

I believe you'll find "Local Game Store is actively hostile to customers who aren't the staff's friends, because it's being run as a hangout zone and not a business" is pretty accurate

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

My favourite "clueless about DnD but gently caress it, I'm gonna write about it anyway" is always Disney. Jesus christ nobody at Disney knew what the gently caress DnD was.

- Comic book store is literally the size of a warehouse, but also they keep it secret.
- grown men are scared their dnd characters will be killed by other DnD characters

It's a cartoon.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

recess had an episode where the principal hired a 30-year-old man to pretend to be a new student so he could learn the tricks the kids used to circumvent the rules
i don't think the writers were particularly concerned with being true-to-life

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Runner up is the Lizzie MacGuire episode where one of them gets addicted to DnD, its portrayed as a board game, and they spend all of their money on equipment cards and they kidnap him and torture him by tearing his arm hairs out with duct tape. :shepicide:

these rule what is wrong with you

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Antivehicular posted:

I believe you'll find "Local Game Store is actively hostile to customers who aren't the staff's friends, because it's being run as a hangout zone and not a business" is pretty accurate

not ones that are the size of a wal-mart

also jesus christ guys, i didnt say the content was bad, I really liked the show growing up. I stated it was my favorite example of writers not knowing what DnD is but writing about it anyway. I think there was an episode of dexter where one of his targets kidnapped a woman and dressed up as a minotaur and dumped her in a small makeshift maze in his basement because of DnD which was also pretty good

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 12, 2022

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Power Puff Girls gets everything wrong about chemistry, you can't create three superpowered little girls from things like sugar and spice, did the writers consult ANYONE before they wrote this???

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Power Puff Girls gets everything wrong about chemistry, you can't create three superpowered little girls from things like sugar and spice, did the writers consult ANYONE before they wrote this???

lets see your chemistry degree then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

lets see your chemistry degree then

No.