Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
New Mardi Gras event for DE!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Is this the AoE4 chat thread as well?

Yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Is this the AoE4 chat thread as well?

I bought the game under duress from some dumbass friend of mine and I'm starting from absolute scratch later this afternoon. Here's to hope that I figure it out.

My workday will be a series of beginner videos to hopefully get me prepared.

all things AoE can be chatted about here, but the hype has died down a bit since release

feel free to ask questions or even DM if u need help!

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

So why is DE so slow? It looks drat good while still retaining the look of the original. But it doesn't look freeze for 15 seconds good. If I close absolutely everything including the steam overlay and my virus scanner and chrome it's about a 50% chance of running fine for a single game. After that I'll have to close it and restart. This is not a gaming comp but the base game is over two decades old. Was it just poorly optimized to get it out the door on time? People with way better comps than me have complained about it too, and from what I gather forget playing it on a laptop.

Does anyone else have this issue? Just a bit concerned now since I just bought an admittedly not top of the line laptop to play this game. Me and some old friends had a aoe2 lan party (very old school! We played in a basement) and wanting to play this game a bit more again is one of the reasons I decided to buy a computer again.

I made sure to get 8gb and not a terrible amount of ghz.

Just curious if anyone else has issues too

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Milo and POTUS posted:

New Mardi Gras event for DE!

Yup

Mikojan posted:

all things AoE can be chatted about here, but the hype has died down a bit since release

feel free to ask questions or even DM if u need help!

Thanks gents.

I'm swamped with work but I've found an hour to start the tutorial.

Hopefully I get some mileage out of this game. It's pricy enough that I want to get decent.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Sharing here because :justpost:

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
There was a recent AoE2:DE Update that apparently murdered performance for a lot of people, maybe that's what some folks here are seeing.

They did just release a hotfix + update, so maybe it has improved, I don't have any first hand experience with the issue since I haven't played 2 in quite some time though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The Mardi Gras Rams are -amazing- and worth playing a dm match for 5 minutes to achieve

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Love Stole the Day posted:

Great, now my day is worse. Thanks for ruining love in the middle ages.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm not crying you're crying

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Oh hey it's my incompetent dipshit forces who'da thunk it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Meanwhile your enemy castles all crewed by robin hoods and william tells

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

weird spot for a lethal arrow but ok

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

Meanwhile your enemy castles all crewed by robin hoods and william tells
No kidding. When I fumble around in some drunken 4v4 effort my AI allies are all loving backward with the absolute worst ideas for priorities, leaving me to slowly and methodically go around the map doing all the heavy lifting myself. Meanwhile the enemy AI magically has all the right units in the right places at the right times.

Sure I'm a bit poo poo at the game and dealing with 2AI solo really grinds me down but god drat, even I know not to try using Bombard Cannons to hit approaching fast infantry when:
1) The cannons have close support to deal with that sort of poo poo anyway.
2) There are multiple enemy castles in range for the cannons to attack.

Meanwhile, <insert AI-controlled historical figure here> hasn't got a loving clue and gets distracted by a long-abandoned Mining Camp and/or decides to send multiple cavalry to chase a scouting Eagle Warrior around, instead of just letting said scout invariably get too close to a castle/tower.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Would a lack of dedicated video ram sound the most likely culprit for all the slowdown? I really feel my problem is the graphics card which sucks cuz from what I've heard cards aren't cheap at all any more

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

"New" event.

I say new because there's a few repeat rewards I think like the grab your pitchforks cheat and turning kings to queens. Women apparently get 70% a new event lol

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Seems like AoE4 is getting the ranked mode patch next week.

I heard it'll have ranked play before warcraft 3 reforged will?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Seems like AoE4 is getting the ranked mode patch next week.

I heard it'll have ranked play before warcraft 3 reforged will?

I dont know anything about W3R, but AOE4 ranked play will activate the 13th

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Big news, there's a new DLC for AOE2 coming out soon and they've been teasing it with some images hidden in old updates.

Its one of the most long requested things, a more accurate and intricate representation of the Indian subcontinent with the currently existing Indian civilization split up into various different civs like the Dravidians, Bengalis and Hindustanis.

Of particular note is this image that seems like it might show off all of the civs and their stats, I thought it was a fake at first because of some of the wrong images but this was posted before the other more official images that showed new units clearly present in both so it might be the real deal, just very slapped together and not properly updated with the changes they are implementing.

The info I've seen suggests that at the very least there will be a renaming and reworking of the current 'Indians' civ, that the Elephant Archer unit will change from being a unique unit to a generic unit for Indian Subcontinent civs, and that there will be 3 completely new civs, in addition to the tweaked Indians turned into 'Hindustanis', which is interesting since the previous two DLC packs only had two new civs.

Its about time that strategy games like this started not treating India as some always unitary state but instead as a place where its cultural and political diversity are historically comparable to Europe, now we just need to get the Civilization series to do the same!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Elephant archers needed something done to them. I almost wish they were given gunpowder so they'd be improved with the imperial UT.

Some of those new unique techs are amazing and probably gamebreaking and some of those civ bonuses aren't far behind

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Some of those new unique techs are amazing and probably gamebreaking and some of those civ bonuses aren't far behind

The thing is, people have said this for every previous DLC pack since the Definitive edition came out but it never really seems to be as bad as one would assume. Comparatively boring civs like Franks or Aztecs remain in the top tiers and the new civs rarely dislodge them.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I always forget how pretty AoE2 is when you don't have a grid mod and a small trees

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
lol @ title

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Stoked for this. Would love to see the same applied to China.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

it's actually super old but with the latest patch it sounds like aoe4 might've hit release quality, so if yall want a new title lmk

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Koramei posted:

Stoked for this. Would love to see the same applied to China.

Jurchen, Tibetans, Tanguts maybe?

Anyone else for the general area of China?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Anyone still playing much AoE4 since the update? been meaning to get back into it but been waiting for meaningful changes like the last patch.

And yeah, approaching release quality is pretty apt.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

honestly when I typed that out I was being 100% dead serious too

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

khwarezm posted:

Uyghurs, Tocharians, Khitans would be cool too

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anyone still playing much AoE4 since the update? been meaning to get back into it but been waiting for meaningful changes like the last patch.

And yeah, approaching release quality is pretty apt.

I dabble when I feel like it but the game is the same. I mean ranked is coming out and balance between civs swings to and fro but tbh the core gameplay is kinda the same. I am still sometimes offput by how easy defense boom/fast tech builds can hold early pressure so if you put it down before due to core gameplay issues, they are probably still there. Siege still a critical part of Castle and Imp army comps but atleast they severly nerfed the field build times for many of these units.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

khwarezm posted:

I don't think that'd go over as well. Who knows though. poo poo, I'd just settle for a good chinese campaign. One playable mission (not even campaign) in 20 years and it's among the worst

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't think that'd go over as well. Who knows though. poo poo, I'd just settle for a good chinese campaign. One playable mission (not even campaign) in 20 years and it's among the worst

Yeah there's definitely going to have to be a Chinese campaign (I think the wars of Taizong of Tang would be a good one, lots of major battles against a wide variety of enemies).

As for the Tibetans, I've heard some people say that in the context of a game set in the medieval period like AOE2, when Tibet was certainly not part of China, that that's more acceptable in Mainland China and less of a hot potato because of how far removed it is from the currently ongoing status of Tibet and its relationship to China proper.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

khwarezm posted:

Yue or some other Non-han southern chinese civ?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it's actually super old but with the latest patch it sounds like aoe4 might've hit release quality, so if yall want a new title lmk

Sounds like "quickly" may not have been that quick in hindsight

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlI2i2lgW3Q
Lets go boys! (I wish there was an India related smily to put here, so imagine a crying peacock or something)

Dynasties of India

quote:

This expansion brings three playable civilizations of India to Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition for the first time, with three fully voiced campaigns and new achievements. The Indian civilizations provide a broad range of added content, including nine new units, 15 exciting new single player missions, new buildings and new achievements.
3 new playable civilizations
Bengalis — Navigate the winding rivers and dense jungles of Bengal as you build a thriving economy to fuel unstoppable armies of elephants. The Bengali unique unit is the Ratha, a sturdy chariot that can switch between melee and ranged attack modes.

Dravidians — Seize control of the lucrative Indian Ocean trade routes and utilize advanced metallurgy as you build one of the wealthiest sea empires of medieval Asia. The Dravidian unique units are the Urumi Swordsman, a warrior wielding a scathing flexible sword, and the Thirisadai, a massive vessel that dominates the high seas.

Gurjaras — Ride swift mounts across the fertile fields and open plains of western India and unleash diverse armies of sturdy warriors upon your enemies. The Gurjara unique units are the Shrivamsha Rider, a speedy cavalry unit that can dodge enemy attacks, and the Chakram Thrower, an infantry unit that unleashes volleys of deadly metal discs.
3 Brand-new Full Campaigns
Babur — Nearly a century after Tamerlane’s death, his descendants are still fighting for supremacy in Transoxiana and Persia. The youngest among them is Zahir ud-Din Muhammad – also known as Babur, ‘the tiger’. He dreams of restoring the crumbled empire, but another wave of invading horsemen from the northern steppes is about to change everything. In this campaign, you will play as the Tatars and Hindustanis.

Rajendra — The dread of inevitable corruption plagues the ambitious Rajendra Chola as he navigates the harsh political climate of south India. Can Rajendra escape moral decay as he expands the empire that he inherited from his father, or is his fear of corruption the true enemy within? In this campaign, you will play as the Dravidians.

Devapala — Guided by the teachings of Mahayana Buddhism, Devapala rules a rich and vibrant empire. However, as dangerous rivals threaten his realm, the ambitious emperor finds it increasingly difficult to balance his policies with his morals. Will the ends ultimately justify the means, or will Devapala’s quest for his own enlightenment and that of his subjects fail? In this campaign, you will play as the Bengalis.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Baller expansion.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I'm wondering exactly how the siege elephant is going to be distinct from the ram. Costs food instead of wood? Moves faster? Benefits from blacksmith upgrades? Less pierce armour?

It can't just be a reskin, right?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I'm wondering exactly how the siege elephant is going to be distinct from the ram. Costs food instead of wood? Moves faster? Benefits from blacksmith upgrades? Less pierce armour?

I think it is just a reskin, more for aesthetics than gameplay. Though there's no comparable siege ram upgrade.

The Dravidians stable is a sorry sight:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Vikings level.

To be sure it never made since for the indians not to have battle elephants imo. I'm glad they do now

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The answer was all of the above

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COufUJGJxb0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm a bit confused why he didn't look at their durability against melee units after full blacksmith upgrades, you'd think that would be pretty important.