Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

As someone who grows trees as a hobby, I'll say that growing from seed isn't really worth it on a production basis. It's Immensely satisfying when it pans out but it can take 1-2 years to really get going and it's probably 4-5 years before you can relax and say "it's gonna make it :unsmith:". Just so much that can go wrong at the early stages, can be very discouraging to see months or years of work fail.
the failure is kind of the point though! so you can get to this stage -

quote:

that said, there's NOTHING like the pleasure of having a big mature tree that you grew from seed. Absolutely nothing.
- and look back at all the failures you went through to get to where you did, and realise what a rare and valuable skill you've just learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Rime posted:

Quitting my job has only given me infinite free time

to think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Z4yW60I2w

kater
Nov 16, 2010

how much micro plastics to trees eat

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
are there microplastics in my fresh maple syrup? there loving are, aren't there

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

That Spooky Witch posted:

thos fuckin ducks are rapists

Lustful mallard attacks orifice

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

i wonder if those plastic eating bacteria will ever take off because that could be a really successful niche for an organism

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

If I was a kid my number 1 job choice would be plastic eating bacteria

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Stevie Lee posted:

what material is the bottle made of

birch trees have been observed absorbing microplastics up through their roots

http://www.sci-news.com/biology/birch-tree-microplastic-10574.html posted:

New research led by the Leibniz Institute for Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries shows that individual microplastic particles with diameters between 5 and 10 μm can enter the root system of the silver birch (Betula pendula), a species of tree native to Europe and parts of Asia, from the surrounding soil.

don't know about maples but regardless there are a ton of points during the chain of events from harvesting to bottling where microplastics could conceivably slip in there. best bet is to assume your syrup is majority plastic at this point

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

:h: bless you. do the children survive in their new homes?

i'm currently forbidden to plant seeds for the next few months for personal reasons, so i'm living vicariously through everybody else

Well I did it for the first time last year and the babies still seem to be thriving. About 1.5ft tall. I might end up moving then again later when it's big enough to be a proper guerilla planting and survive.

Probably next to a golf course.

I bought some corylus cornuta last year which is native to my area but I've never seen it before. They're thriving. Going to be a visual break between mine and my neighbors house when they get bigger.

Once they start putting out some nuts I'll be guerilla planting them all over lol. And I'm sure the squirrels will too

Cletus Van Damme
May 7, 2008

Wanna buy some cheap starships?

Rime posted:

Been trying for days to write a big long classic style post about how and why I'm so depressed, largely by having to continue existing in this interminably liminal state of affairs and society, that I was seriously considering just calling it quits and killing myself last week - but I can't even manage to scrape together a shitpost longer than this bland one-liner anymore. :sigh:

I almost never post, but I have been reading your posts for years, you would be missed by more people than you realize.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Cletus Van Damme posted:

I almost never post, but I have been reading your posts for years, you would be missed by more people than you realize.

co signed this Rime. you more than just about anyone made me realize how bad things are actually getting/are. you really have helped. please stick around. we gotta post through it. I was feeling particularly down last night and then I got really high and read this thread and it helped.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Stevie Lee posted:

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I was thinking of this thread when I was doing a lot of my maple syrup stuff this year just because of how much loving plastic is involved. Plastic taps, plastic drop lines, plastic main lines -- none of this stuff is intended to last especially long (1 / 5 / 15 year, respectively). I would assume a lot of the filter media used now is woven plastic poo poo.

Regardless of how much leeches into the syrup, that's just a lot of landfill poo poo.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Cletus Van Damme posted:

I have been reading your posts for years, you would be missed by more people than you realize.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

LionArcher posted:

co signed this Rime. you more than just about anyone made me realize how bad things are actually getting/are. you really have helped. please stick around. we gotta post through it. I was feeling particularly down last night and then I got really high and read this thread and it helped.

This thread owns because you can just scream into the void when you need to about how loving stupid everything is and no one will try to tell you that actually Iceland just opened the world's largest atmospheric carbon capture plant and

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

IAMKOREA posted:

This thread owns because you can just scream into the void when you need to about how loving stupid everything is and no one will try to tell you that actually Iceland just opened the world's largest atmospheric carbon capture plant and

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

i throw a battery into a sewage drain every time someone mentioned the carbon capture plant, all about that healthy balance

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

whats so stupid about the carbon capture plant?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

Atmospheric carbon capture consumes a massive amount of energy compared to releasing carbon from fossil fuels. You could use the energy it takes to capture one cars worth of carbon to power ten cars (that's a wrong number, I don't know the real number but it's greater than one which is all that matters). It's a dumb boondoggle that allows politicians to talk about net zero by 2050 and delay the inevitable. It does nothing to smash capitalism, rather it's a completely bullshit form of magick the hope of which has convinced people that capitalism can be sustainable. It's just the stupidest loving thing ever and i hate it

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

Rectal Death Adept posted:

i get real sad sometimes but then i think about how geese will get hosed up by climate change too and those smug pricks kind of deserve it when you really think about it

same but other humans

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

In isolation it's just a demonstration, a tiny grain of a smidgeon of a mote of a quantum of what a full scale response would entail.

It allows for a rough quantification of just how much more would be necessary to begin to attack the GHG problem at scale. In short, it demonstrates just how far off a market-based approach is to actually doing something of consequence

Still, 4500 TWh is only like about a fifth of all the world's generated power per anum? It could be (?) done under a global centrally planned project that dwarfed every historical mega protect ever, maybe

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yeah the issue isn’t DAC as a concept the issue is using DAC as an excuse to keep burning fossil fuels.

if we waved a magic wand and replaced our society and economy with one that actually addresses climate change, first we’d stop using fossil fuels etc and then we’d end up doing DAC just to reduce the extant CO2.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

yeah the issue isn’t DAC as a concept the issue is using DAC as an excuse to keep burning fossil fuels.

if we waved a magic wand and replaced our society and economy with one that actually addresses climate change, first we’d stop using fossil fuels etc and then we’d end up doing DAC just to reduce the extant CO2.

technically planting several trillion trees is sort of DAC so sure i guess

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that carbon capture plant is like 1 / 10,000,000th of what we need to even be neutral after we are already beyond the point of no return. People are going to crack jokes about it after it was presented as not only THE WORLDS LARGEST but a hopeful solution.

It's like walking into a burning house with a thimble full of a special material it took a year and a billion dollars to create. You conduct an elaborate demonstration on how a few drops of your special fluid can put out all of the fire on little timmy's arm. Everyone then stands around in the fire shaking hands because the concept of potentially fighting it has been established.

There is a comical gap between tech demo and practical solution and the latter is being claimed simply by the existence of the former. It only works if you not only ignore the uselessness of it but lie to yourself about the scope of climate change itself.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 20:54 on Apr 10, 2022

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Trabisnikof posted:

DAC as a concept is not exactly great either - the second law of thermodynamics guarantees that. Most of the atmosphere isn't carbon, it's like searching a swimming pool full of marbles for the green ones.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

We can always pray to the volcano gods to give us a supereruption in order to help cool the earth, I'm thinking that we should give that a try before we get too invested in this "green energy" fad

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

DAC as a concept is not exactly great either - the second law of thermodynamics guarantees that. Most of the atmosphere isn't carbon, it's like searching a swimming pool full of marbles for the green ones.

Yeah but the energy cost of not going carbon negative is almost certainly higher. That’s just how hosed we are.

Of course instead we’re going to remain carbon positive and just claim on paper we aren’t

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah but the energy cost of not going carbon negative is almost certainly higher. That’s just how hosed we are.

Of course instead we’re going to remain carbon positive and just claim on paper we aren’t

Lol after COVID it wouldn't surprise me if they just shut down all the co2 monitoring stations if it weren't tech that normal people could get on their own

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
We recently spent some time in the NICU and it totally crack pinged my wife about the sheer scale of single-use plastic waste we’re actually generating.

The world around us is so uniformly inundated with plastic that we simply normalize its presence as a given. We throw it in the blue “plastics” bin in the park and ignorantly proceed along our pointless journey thinking it somehow all works out, or simply never think about it.

But being in an intensive care unit you begin to see the underbelly. Every single tool, tape, tube, lead, wipe, syringe, every widget, (almost) every *thing* is made of plastic encased in plastic. Every piece that touches anyone or anything is entirely single-use and sterilized in a plastic wrapper. Sure there are occasional glass or metal tools, those also come wrapped in plastic.

All of this plastic is immediately thrown into a plastic garbage bin lined with a plastic garbage bag. That bag is hauled off by the cleaning lady on a plastic trolly.

There is no feigned posturing about recycling. This is all trash. Biohazard plastic trash.

Then take the mind bending amount of plastic trash my one baby produced each day… Times every patient, in every hospital, in every part of the world.

lol, lmao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I saw someone point out that if we could run everything in reverse, i.e. having cars that sucked CO2 out of the air, dropping it off at gas stations, where it was mixed with other materials and pumped into the ground, the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere would be a problem of such immense scale that it would still take decades to fix

They wrote it better, but still

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

yes! science is only just really figuring out how a forest works, there's a complex mechanism involved with evaporation and temperature control and water cycling where the aquifers only function properly if there are plenty of trees over them

lol gently caress

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I saw someone point out that if we could run everything in reverse, i.e. having cars that sucked CO2 out of the air, dropping it off at gas stations, where it was mixed with other materials and pumped into the ground, the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere would be a problem of such immense scale that it would still take decades to fix

Reminds me of slaughterhouse 5 where Vonnegut describes the war only in reverse, can't post it because I'm on my phone and too old to do tricky stuff like copy paste from different browser tabs on the stupid touch screen

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

TeenageArchipelago posted:

A Russian troll farm posted:

Viewed in reverse, a billion and a half cars are all driving backwards, sucking in dirty air through the tailpipe, compressing all of the pollution into the densest possible form and storing it, and pushing out clean air from a vent in the front. When the tank is full, they back up into a station which sucks up the compressed pollution and stores it. A truck regularly comes to bring it to a plant where it is combined with other pollutants being sucked out of the air, and a series of pipes brings it far away to remote places, where it is pumped deep underground and safely hidden away. With this unprecedented collective effort, this dead world will one day be teeming with life

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
If carbon capture worked so well, why did none of those clean coal power plants succeed?

That seemed like a perfect use of carbon capture technology, capture the emissions as they are produced by a dirty power plant. I know they tried carbon capture but we can see they didn't succeed by the fact clean coal is no longer talked about

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
the biosphere's epitaph will read: "drive it like u stole it lol"

kater
Nov 16, 2010

God Hole posted:

birch trees have been observed absorbing microplastics up through their roots

now that’s the kind of ridiculous nightmare I’m here for

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Marenghi posted:

If carbon capture worked so well, why did none of those clean coal power plants succeed?

That seemed like a perfect use of carbon capture technology, capture the emissions as they are produced by a dirty power plant. I know they tried carbon capture but we can see they didn't succeed by the fact clean coal is no longer talked about

Because carbon capture only makes sense after we’ve gotten rid of all the fossil fuel plants

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mark immune posted:

the biosphere's epitaph will read: "drive it like u stole it lol"

"May the evolved invertebrates forgive us."

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

that's the one, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Rime posted:

No, I'm not seriously considering suicide today.

Doing a big long road trip down the west side of the island to look at big old growth, and seeing everything from Port Renfrew to Jordan River (70+km of old-old and century old growth) flagged for the saw, did not improve my mood. Followed by crawling through endless shitbox urban sprawl and traffic and trash development once I hit Victoria.

Quitting my job has only given me infinite free time to think about how beyond finished I am with being forced to live an intensely hypocritical life in a society I despise, surrounded by the willfully (and increasingly violently so!) ignorant. Going to the beach, all I can see is the trash and lack of biodiversity in the tide pools and extrapolate that. Going to the forest, all I see is how sterile they are and think about how second growth coastal rainforest is not supposed to be full of random swamps but we hosed the hydrology so badly and it will take centuries to repair if ever. Except it won't because the conditions for those forests to regenerate are going away forever. Come back to civilization and just spend my time listening to crabs in a bucket talking about what they want to buy and where they want to vacation and how to gently caress over someone else for money or lol's and then they get all uppity when you call them out on their bullshit.

It's all just loving exhausting. There's no way to get away from it. Every day is a waking hell where I am either confront by the multifaceted orthagonal systemic breakdown of nature itself, with every outcome that implies, or having to interact with braindead shitheads. I don't know which grinds me down more. Coming home was a mistake, Vancouver has to be ground zero for the lotus eaters.

There's no escape route in this dying era, I have nowhere to run, nowhere on the planet is untouched by this unfolding ecological nightmare and the claws of capital-puppeteered governments are desperately closing the cage ever tighter as things decline, so I just have to sit here and twiddle my thumbs and flip a coin as to what snaps first: my sanity or this horrifying liminal state of utterly insulated-from-reality existence within a crumbling imperial core on a dying planet. Maybe I get lucky and choke to death on bits of my own lungs from plasto-mesothelioma sooner than later or get really lucky and die as a skyrocketing asscancer statistic. That would be a relief.

I look at the road ahead with everything we know now, both about human nature and the forces we've set loose, and if it's going to be another +/- twenty-odd years of this bullshit (watching us willfully and aggressively destroy the biosphere) and then keeling over dead in a ditch at some point from a variety of potential causes, what even is the point? How the gently caress do I muster up the motivation to do anything when the wall the writing has been on is now slowly keeling over onto us like the slab on a tomb? It's not about the killing myself, it's about the what the gently caress am I supposed to loving do when there's no way out and every system on the planet, human or biological, is quite permanently falling apart.

I don't wish I was dead, I just wish I was stupid. This would be a whole lot easier to manage if I was just as witless as everyone else right up to the bitter end.

Same. The plan now is just to weatherproof the house, amp up the farm and garden, and try to build better links with our community. I have no idea what else to do.