Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Orvin posted:

Is there a current thread recommendation for a tablet for kids that can be locked down? Mostly for videos and simple games (older child is 4). I like the concept of the tablet having a limited timer per day of usage for my kids. They are currently using an old iPhone that keeps a charge for like 5 minutes tops.

Wait until there is a sale then buy Kindle Fire HD 8 Kids. You can get them for under $100 when they’re on sale. You can set time limits and the screen automatically locks after the time is up. You can access the settings directly on the device or from your amazon account so you can change the limit without interrupting play. Even better, they come with a kid proof case and a kid friendly warranty on top of that.

Only real downside is they’re not very powerful compared to iPads, so not great for adults but kids won’t notice the difference.

nelson fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

I'm after an iPad to use Scrivener (writing app) on when I can't sit at my desk. I wanna connect a BT keyboard to it as well. I'm on a tight budget so I'm looking at refurbished and older models. What are the oldest ones in the air and mini and regular range that would probably be worth getting? Since I'll be writing stuff on it I'd like for it not to feel sluggish or unresponsive while using Scrivener, but I don't really mind if it's a bit slow doing other things. I already own a poke 3 for reading so this tablet really will be for quite a singular purpose, with potentially some browsing websites as well.

Testicle Masochist fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 2, 2022

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The base model ipad is $329

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

Sorry, forgot to mention I'm in Aus, base most recent model is 500 here and I don't really wanna spend more than 350 to 400 max

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm looking for a digital picture frame, let me know if there's a better thread!

It's for my grandparents, so it has to be super basic. The key feature is it needs to not do the typical automatic slideshow thing. It needs to be controlled by a remote or touchscreen to change pictures only when wanted, like an actual slideshow.

A real tablet is probably too much for them. Not looking for bells and whistles like weather, video, etc.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm looking for a digital picture frame, let me know if there's a better thread!

It's for my grandparents, so it has to be super basic. The key feature is it needs to not do the typical automatic slideshow thing. It needs to be controlled by a remote or touchscreen to change pictures only when wanted, like an actual slideshow.

A real tablet is probably too much for them. Not looking for bells and whistles like weather, video, etc.

Nixplay

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Haven't had an iPad since the iPad 2 in 2011 or so. But I would like a tablet sometime soon.

I switched from iPhone back to android because the Pixel 6 was such good value, and I've got a Windows PC and laptop. Will there be a load of tiny ecosystem clash type things that will build up and annoy me if I get an iPad instead of a Galaxy or whatever android tablet? Because iPads just seem like the best tablets.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tbh I like my Lenovo Duet 5 Chromebook tablet better than any Android tablet I've used even though it's too big to use as a tablet.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

What’s a good android tablet that’s around the price of a standard iPad? I’m a sicko who’s always had an android phone and an iPad(they were all hand me downs), and I am thinking of just switching to one os but haven’t decided which way to go.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

RandolphCarter posted:

What’s a good android tablet that’s around the price of a standard iPad? I’m a sicko who’s always had an android phone and an iPad(they were all hand me downs), and I am thinking of just switching to one os but haven’t decided which way to go.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > Recommend Me a Tablet - JUST GET AN IPAD

New thread title please?

But seriously, if you want a good tablet for grownups to do real things on, the Android market is slim pickings these days.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Yeah, it's a brutal gap between way too expensive and garbage cheap.

Galaxy Tab A8 is probably the closest?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Thanks for the info. Went with a new ipad, really does seem to be the best bang for your buck.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'm mildly annoyed that Samsung keeps making larger and larger Tab S devices every year.

I went from a Tab S 8.4 (8.4") to a Tab S6 (10.5").

The smallest Tab S8 is 11".

I don't want a tablet that is the size of my laptop damnit.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Personally, I love the large screens. But then again, I'm pretty much always running 2 or 3 apps side by side.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Moey posted:

I'm mildly annoyed that Samsung keeps making larger and larger Tab S devices every year.

I went from a Tab S 8.4 (8.4") to a Tab S6 (10.5").

The smallest Tab S8 is 11".

I don't want a tablet that is the size of my laptop damnit.

I just got the S8 Ultra. It's larger than my laptop. My family makes fun of me carrying around, asking if I'm taking a survey. And you can't really watch anything unless you have it on a stand, which the KB/cover is still on BO.

That said, it is very nice, coming from a Tab S3 that was really showing it's teeth.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
For my sheet music project, I would have gotten the S8 Ultra if it weren't for the price. Might as well get the big iPad Pro at that price point.

I ended up with the (still expensive, but way less so) Onyx Boox Max Lumi and I'm loving the e-ink experience.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Last time I bought a Samsung mobile device I got bombarded with ad notifications for other Samsung products and etc. I've never bought an Apple product. How are the various tablet manufacturers when it comes to giving you unwanted notifications?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

pun pundit posted:

Last time I bought a Samsung mobile device I got bombarded with ad notifications for other Samsung products and etc. I've never bought an Apple product. How are the various tablet manufacturers when it comes to giving you unwanted notifications?

I don't have an iPad but my work iPhone has been a wonder of non-spamminess. There's basically no bloatware on it either. Sure, I might not want to use 60-70% of the bundled apps, but for every one of them I can see there's a use case, for some people. That's not been my experience with the apps bundled on, for instance, Sony phones I've owned.

I think the worst was the Sony app that couldn't be uninstalled, that would give you some sort of "product news" notifications (that also couldn't be disabled). I want to say it was called "Xperia Lounge" or something? Absolutely dreadful.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i'm looking for the cheapest possible tablet that can run this site: https://sheets.flechs.net/ and also open and view pdfs reasonably well. basically want a wargaming companion tablet. is the fire 8 hd not a complete piece of poo poo? that's the one i was looking at

e: my kids will probably want to use it for netflix and spotify and maybe some games too but really secondary concerns there

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The latest Fire HD 8 is not a complete piece of poo poo, as they upped the specs to "tolerable" and it has USB-C charging. I just got my kid one on sale for $60 and it's leaps ahead of his previous 2019 version.

I have a 2018 and it's barely functional to say the least, and it's not due to age - it always sucked.

The biggest issue is the trappings of being stuck in Amazon's OS and app environment.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

FogHelmut posted:

The latest Fire HD 8 is not a complete piece of poo poo, as they upped the specs to "tolerable" and it has USB-C charging. I just got my kid one on sale for $60 and it's leaps ahead of his previous 2019 version.

I have a 2018 and it's barely functional to say the least, and it's not due to age - it always sucked.

The biggest issue is the trappings of being stuck in Amazon's OS and app environment.

How has this been? We’ve got to get a tablet for the kiddo to free up our phones, but I’ve been scarred by too many garbage laggy tablets to consider a non-iPad. If this does the trick, i might consider it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

meanolmrcloud posted:

How has this been? We’ve got to get a tablet for the kiddo to free up our phones, but I’ve been scarred by too many garbage laggy tablets to consider a non-iPad. If this does the trick, i might consider it.

The new one has been fine. It's slower than my phone, but my phone costs $900. The only problems are the quirks of Amazon's ecosystem. Like Prime video isn't available at all in Free Time kids mode. It's insane. Free Time is very easy to manage and works well otherwise, but you basically have to create a separate non-freetime profile if you want your kids to have access to Prime streaming. But that's something to consider - Free Time really locks everything down and you have to grant access to each item you want them to see. I believe you can exercise some level of parental controls on a standard profile.

The Amazon app store is better than it used to be, no issues there.

Battery life is crazy. He used it for almost 6 hours on a cross country flight and only used 30% battery.

Otherwise, it does what it's supposed to do. It's definitely not fast, but not at all frustrating. It can run all of the video stuff and no problems with kids games. Storage is small, like most of the other specs, but expandable. It has 3.5mm and USB-C.

For my 5 year old who doesn't do any web browsing or work, and only watches Disney+ and Netflix and PBS Kids, it's great.

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
Ah but you see I was an 06 lurker
Hey folks, looking for a tablet for technical drawing. Some mathematician friends of mine have Remarkable 2 e-ink tablets and I was impressed by the feel. I was more impressed by the kobo elipsa, which has handwriting recognition that extends to equations - I definitely want that, and it's the right size for me too, eg 10'3 or smaller. At the same time, I was also impressed by a tilt sensetive stylus I saw - I definitely want that too, or some other way it can go from light to dark in the same stroke. I don't know whether it's possible to have all this with the elipsa or Remarkable?

It'd also be nice to have voice recognition, the ability to paste in images, and a swift connection to my laptop. I don't necessarily care whether it's e-ink or not.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm a darts player, and I use a website called Dartconnect to track stats and play against the CPU and stuff. I have my old Surface Pro 3 mounted on the wall for this purpose, obviously overkill, I'd like to put that elsewhere and just get some cheap tablet to do this. Not looking to spend Samsung money. Wondering if someone maybe has tried their luck with no name/amazon/china stuff and has had success? Looking for 10"+

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

I'm a darts player, and I use a website called Dartconnect to track stats and play against the CPU and stuff. I have my old Surface Pro 3 mounted on the wall for this purpose, obviously overkill, I'd like to put that elsewhere and just get some cheap tablet to do this. Not looking to spend Samsung money. Wondering if someone maybe has tried their luck with no name/amazon/china stuff and has had success? Looking for 10"+

Yes of course, any cheap tablet will do. People ITT keep saying that Amazon is good for the money, or you can check out some of the Chinese tablets this guy reviews: https://www.youtube.com/c/Techtablets/videos

I've had a number of weird tables like Chuwi and Alldocube and they've all been fine.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

codo27 posted:

The Samsung Tab A8 is 10.5" and is like $230?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

279 CAD (on sale) versus ~$150 for a no name amazon brand dealie

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

codo27 posted:

279 CAD (on sale) versus ~$150 for a no name amazon brand dealie

Ah.

What about an Amazon Fire tablet? Unsure on pricing up in Canadia.

alyandon
Dec 9, 2001
Poster of the Month for July!
Fun Shoe
I'm being driven mad looking for any relatively non-ancient android tablet that has an actual hardware GPS that works without cellular/wifi. This is to replace an old Asus Zenpad 10s tablet. It seems that all I can find via google/amazon/etc searching are tablets that claim to support every conceivable type of GPS when they really mean that they actually don't support GPS at all and use Google location services via data connection. :-/

In addition to it being a unicorn with actual hardware GPS, I'd like to get decent specs (1080p minimum, 128GB storage, 4-8GB ram, etc) and would like to keep the price under $300 if at all possible.

Help me fellow goons - you're my only hope.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I've never heard of a tablet that claims to have GPS support but does not have the actual receiver chip. Can you give an example? If you know the model number of the chipset a tablet uses, you can simply look up the specs on the manufacturer's website to see if it has a GPS/GNSS receiver.

alyandon
Dec 9, 2001
Poster of the Month for July!
Fun Shoe

BoldFace posted:

I've never heard of a tablet that claims to have GPS support but does not have the actual receiver chip. Can you give an example? If you know the model number of the chipset a tablet uses, you can simply look up the specs on the manufacturer's website to see if it has a GPS/GNSS receiver.

It's the flood of randomly named brand Android tablets that makes it hard to find. You can perform a search of something like "android tablet gps" on Amazon and look at the listings that claim GPS functionality but then go look in the reviews and see people complaining about it not being actual GPS. Using Google to try and find a tablet in that manner produces nothing but spam SEO tablet "review" sites.

After some additional searching, I believe the Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 has a built-in GPS receiver so that is likely what I'll be purchasing unless someone here has a better recommendation.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I and my girlfriend both own the following, bought in 2017:

Fire Tablet with Alexa, 7" Display, 8 GB, Black - with Special Offers (Previous Generation - 5th)

Would the 2020 Fire HD 8s currently available for about $50 on Prime Day be a considerable improvement over this five year older model? Use case for her is general browsing while I'm just looking for something to view large PDF files from TTRPGs/miniatures games.

I basically don't use my current tablet because I have a phone and a laptop and the tablet is an unnecessary middle ground, but I'm specifically looking for something that load and scroll large PDFs. For my GFs part, based on my own limited experiences with my tablet, I feel like she has to be suffering through a sub par browsing experience on her current tablet, though she only uses it in bed an otherwise has a laptop.

Edit - No, I think I'd need to spring for a Galaxy Tab s6 Lite

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 12, 2022

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm looking for a tablet that will basically serve to read comics and occasionally ebooks. That's basically it.

I had a Tab A5(? I think?), and it was too slow - it took a while to boot and the interface was laggy.

Any suggestions on a good tablet for this usecase?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whatever iPad fits your budget.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Endless Mike posted:

Whatever iPad fits your budget.

I haven't bought an I-device since the original ipod touch. I'm not opposed, but can I get one for like $250?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Annath posted:

I'm looking for a tablet that will basically serve to read comics and occasionally ebooks. That's basically it.

I had a Tab A5(? I think?), and it was too slow - it took a while to boot and the interface was laggy.

Any suggestions on a good tablet for this usecase?

Depending on your budget, I'd suggest maybe a previous generation base iPad or iPad mini

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Annath posted:

I haven't bought an I-device since the original ipod touch. I'm not opposed, but can I get one for like $250?

Base model iPad with 64gb storage is $330 full price, looks like $310 at walmart right now, and probably on sale fairly frequently for $250-300. Last gen base model might've been 32gb, so worth a little extra for the newer one if that's the case vs a used last gen.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

BoldFace posted:

Is GSM arena trustworthy for this? I always use it for spec lookups and comparison.

Two random Samsung tabs shoved in for example.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=11343&idPhone2=10933

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
anyone tried out the new Meebook Pro 10 eink tablet? It runs android and is pretty big, seems like a dream
The only place i see that ships to europe is on aliexpress though, I'm debating if i should plunk 400 euros and risk it getting lost or the reseller being a scam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Moey posted:

Is GSM arena trustworthy for this?

Yes, but if you're feeling particularly paranoid, you can look up the chipset manufacturer's website, Qualcomm and Mediatek in this case. They're the ones who put GPS on these devices, not Samsung. I feel like Samsung in general is a safe choice and all their tablets probably support GPS.