Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Splint Chesthair posted:

Oh good, it wasn’t just me, lol. The last time I left a movie feeling that good was Mad Max: Fury Road. Everything Everywhere All at Once might even be better. I think it’s the best movie I’ve seen in a decade.

I started smiling the moment James Hong first appeared and basically never stopped.

I unironically love that James Hong is still working. The guy is a treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Made in USA. I cannot think of a movie that's left me as cold as this one in recent memory. The concept of bringing the American Noir, and giving it a literal fresh coat of paint by infusing it with the relentless energy of the French New Wave seems like a winning combination. But Godard is so up his own rear end that the movie is utterly lifeless. The use of color is sublime, but there isn't a single Human in the movie, maybe the barman, instead everyone and everything is a symbol, enigma, or concept. People launch into these meaningless postmodern tirades, if one is to give the impression of deep thought, you should probably not make every thought sound like the dumb poo poo that comes out my buddies mouth after he's smoked too much. The film is filled with so much truly Avant Garde technique. Words are covered by diagetic sounds, characters are all named after Americans of note, the action sometimes stops all together so the players can T Pose at eachother and explain their exact thoughts and feelings. Very Advanced Very Guard and completely terrible on all levels. The movie is stuffed full of such novel techniques for one purpose, to give the illusion of depth, the truth is the movie has less than nothing to say. It is a complete failure as a piece of cinema, a complete failure as a story, a complete failure as a satire, a complete as a criticism of America, or capitalism, or western values or whatever dumb loving thing Godard thinks he's railing against.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I watched Everything Everywhere All at Once. It is a pretty good movie. Not perfect. With that said, I wept multiple times throughout because I'm a queer diasporic Asian faildaughter with a strained relationship with my mother, and I have had variations on many conversations that took place in the film but without any hopeful resolution. So these kinds of movies are personally frustrating. Not interested in hearing some imbecilic poo poo along the lines of "that means it was successful" as an art piece; obviously it is a good film. It is both directly speaking to me and has nothing to do with me at all, so I end up in this kind of ambivalent space, hilariously.

There's this trend in contemporary movies with diasporic Asians, like Shang-Chi and Turning Red and the Awkwafina movie, of diasporic Asians helping to heal or reconcile generational trauma; I read a lot of books like this as well. Nominally I like this theme, but I think some part of me is always going to be kneejerk frustrated when these things are at the heart of genre works, just because the reality of it is so crushing. It's a personal problem, obviously, and I don't want to diminish the positive effects these works have for others. I guess to make a long story short, I was #triggered

Doc Fission fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 10, 2022

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I know 2001 A Space Odyssey is a landmark on numerous respects but drat I almost fell asleep watching it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a lot better on the big screen. I can't imagine watching it on a tv

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Saw Everything, Everywhere All At Once.

First off, Michelle Yeoh is a loving queen, goddamn. Second, I feel like this movie was tailor made for me. I love films with a touch of surrealism that touch on existential themes. Synecdoche, New York (really, every Charlie Kaufman movie) Holy Motors, David Lynch films, and uh actually I can't think of many examples so if you have more please recommend them. I also love kung fu and Hong Kong cinema (don't think I didn't notice the Wong Kar Wai references in there). So I'm pretty glad I saw this, although based on the fact that the theater was empty, not a whole lot of people are going for it. Kind of a shame, but for those who do see it I can understand why it's resonating so well. I've tried to write more but I just descend into cliches and poo poo, wish I was more articulate.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Woman Next Door Maybe my least favortie Truffaut so far, but still a really compelling little thriller. One thing I love about his films is that even if it's played a little melodramatically there's a real sense of relatability with his works. I think we all had that relationship that ended poorly, and when you see them years later it just totally fucks your poo poo up for a minute.

Shutter Island Good film, really liked Decap in this, I prefer it to the Revenant to be honest, maybe he shoulda one for this.

La Jetée Best of the films I've seen this week, I assume they couldn't afford a camera, but the use of the stills really puts you into the same mindspace as the Traveler who is living life in this strange dissociated series of images displaced from time. Also didn't know Twelve Monkey's was based on this. Highly rec'd for anyone with a half hour free

Blue Valentine :(

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Pain & Gain: Went in with super low expectations, it is a Michael Bay movie. My brother recommended it and he usually has good taste so I decided to trust him and it was worth it. One of the best movies ever, up there with the greats like RoboCop and Pacific Rim. It's "What if Michael Bay made a Coen Brother's movie?" and it loving delivers.

I love America, I love fitness. You love a penis that works and loving fat chicks. You love Jesus and do *not* get along with homosexuals. And what can get us all the things we want is kidnapping the franchisee of a Schlotzky's Deli.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shoot the piano player. This movie reminds me a lot of the killers even though thinking through it it really doesn't resemble it. The level of introspection from the main was pretty interesting to see in such a noirish tale, Truffaut's works always seem to be built on the foundation of reality that we ourselves experience and that scene with him overthinking trying to hold her hand, and then her explains her own overthinking after they sleep together is an interesting examination of the interiority of a new relationship that I think we can all identify with and a concept that should be better explored in film.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Finally rented No Time To Die and holy poo poo did that movie suck rear end

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Speleothing posted:

Finally rented No Time To Die and holy poo poo did that movie suck rear end

I had the opposite reaction and thought it was a pretty well done capstone to Craig’s tenure in the role, of which I would watch practically any of them over the majority of other Bond films. I really appreciated the direction they took the character with him, he feels way more like Ian Fleming’s character and not the guy who charms and gadgets his way out of everything. It was refreshing to have a slate of films that were tonally different from the usual fare. It always bums me out when people get really down on them, which seems to be the prevailing opinion these days.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Craig's bond doesn't like being a 007 and it ruins the whole thing. Bond movies should be about crazy plots, beautiful women, fast cars, and amazing locations, when you get a character who would choose to be a sad sack alcoholic instead the movies stop being fun.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I liked how it became Metal Gear Solid in the last act.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i was confusing the title with the bruce willis film A Day to Die

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Just got out of Everything Everywhere All At Once. The whole time I was thinking the husband's looks and voice were naggingly familiar. Then the credits rolled, and I'm like, holy poo poo that's Short Round!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wow the Forever Purge really sucked. I mean they all do, not sure why I watch these. The social satire is as limp and uninteresting as the action scenes. The plot this time is "what if people didn't just do crime on the legal crime day but on the days when crime wasn't legal?" what if indeed.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

So I'm pretty glad I saw this, although based on the fact that the theater was empty, not a whole lot of people are going for it.

If it makes you feel better, I just got out of a fully packed screening.

I need some time to digest it but I haven't smiled that much at a movie in a while - it sticks the landing in terms of emotional payoff too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Soft Skin There's something nice about watching a man totally gently caress up his life for no reason when he could have saved it with just a few conversations. It's like everytime there's a choice between a good and bad option Lacheny mashes the Total Fuckup Option as hard as he can.

Le Samourai Everyonce in a while you watch an older movie, and then suddenly a dozen newer ones make way more sense. Dude is effortlessly cool. Gotta shout out the commissioner though, dude manages plays the absolute worst mid level bureaucrat to the tee. A repulsive figure willing to batter you with his false morality until you yield or die. Also big up to the restraint in the film. Nothing is ever pointed out, you don't need to be told the Bird is his alarm, after seeing the utter contempt that modern films hold their audience in It's nice to see a film confident enough in itself and it's viewers to not constantly exposit.

The Story of Adele H. First off the version I watched was on Prime and it was loving awful. Either because my Uncle's TV or because Prime Bad, but the movie was compromised visually. Secondly The main actress deserved that Best Actress Nom, she's the only real fleshed out character, and she manages to do a hell of a job. It's interesting, Adele the person was clearly a very troubled young lady, but Truffaut's adaption truly serves to truly eviscerate the Ideals of the Romantic. Adele can never reach her supposed lover, her devotion is rewarded only in Anguish, Betrayal, Poverty, and the destruction of her mind. Far from showing it as some beautiful thing to forever pine away after you're Beatrice, Truffaut holds nothing back in showing what a miserable time such a person would have.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Vertigo is one that I balked at the run time and felt it was a bit dull... right up until the whole ending sequence. It's so intense. Even if its brief the performances really make the time building them up worth it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Posession i can fix her

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Blade 2 may be the funniest movie i have seen this year. Every scene is over-the-top hilarious.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Murmurs of the Heart I think I downloaded this because it was supposed to be like 400 Blows. I think it's well made, well acted, touches on some interesting and taboo subjects, but I don't relate to it at all. I can pretty easily picture myself as Antoine Doinel as I was also poor as gently caress growing up and embarrassed the hell out of myself chasing girls as a teen. But this rich kid who goes to brothels and has servants and stays at seaside retreats. I can't it's a bridge too far, and with these "Growing up" type movies I need to be able to empathize with the lead in a way that I don't for an action movie or thriller. It's an extremely well crafted three star movie that I'm sure a lot of people would find to be a five

Matador I will never understand the European fascination with juxtaposing death and sex. Could you people just be normal for five minutes

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 23, 2022

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

The Professionals (1966) Excellent cast, but what a horrible loving story. I've seen plenty of nihilist westerns, and plenty that had awful people as protagonists, but at least those were by design. The tone of this movie is completely out of touch with it's actual plot. I haven't seen such tonal dissonance in a western since From Dusk Till Dawn. The body count of people who get killed for this caper that amounts to less than nothing is appalling, and no one shows any regard for human life (or horses) riiiiiiiight up until the very end when suddenly everyone has a heart of gold, conveniently forgetting all the corpses. It doesn't even have the decency to kill off any of the main characters, instead letting them all ride off into the sunset to heroic music. They didn't even get the money in the end. The story could have been resolved in the first ten minutes with them all refusing to work for the obviously piece-of-poo poo husband, and nothing would end differently except more people would still be alive. They literally just went murder-hoboing through Mexico blowing poo poo up because backing out of a contract would have been dishonorable or some bullshit. They could have given up and gone home at any point in this movie and not only have just as much to show for it, but also been more sympathetic characters.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Unhinged loving sucked

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sisters I don't think I've ever seen a de Palma film so I went to give one a shot. There's some really cool camera work, I've always wondered why we don't see more split screen in film. Margot kidder s French Canadian accent is perfect, unrelatedly I've never heard a québécois. Professor Emil looks like the second string Hench in a bond movie. As far as Hitchcockian thrillers it was alright, but it did come off somewhat as a weaker rear window.

The woman writing poorly on the cake was incredibly anxiety inducing for me.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

The Batman I really liked how they were able to use the Riddler as a villain and that it forced Batman to use his brain throughout the movie.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
No Time To Die: Goddamn, that was so long and boring. Literally no reason at all for it to be nearly three hours long, the villain is in it for like 10 minutes and you find out next to nothing about him in that time

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Masculin, Féminin

Ingmar Bergman posted:

“I’ve never gotten anything out of his movies. They have felt constructed, faux intellectual and completely dead. Cinematographically uninteresting and infinitely boring. Godard is a loving bore. He’s made his films for the critics. One of the movies, Masculin Féminin (1966), was shot here in Sweden. It was mind-numbingly boring.”

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Petite Maman

A lovely, beautiful film. It perfectly blends moments of childhood with adult perceptions of childhood with children's perceptions of how adults view children. Watching it made the day feel brighter.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Everything Everwhere All at Once

A beautiful film about the quest for meaning in an increasingly complex world. Unfortunately none of the characters talk about 9/11 so who am I supposed to relate to? Becky?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eye's Without a Face The long scene where you know that you're going to see his faceless daughter, but it makes you follow him from the garage, up the stairs, to the next stairs, into the room, and for a whole dialogue before you see the mask is masterfully done.

Raging Bull excellent camera work all around. De niro and Pesci obviously did great, but Cathy Moriarity I'm surprised didn't have a bigger career, the only thing I've seen her in is a bit part in The Double. As a boxing movie Raging Bull does a much better job than Rocky, as a movie movie though. I prefer Rocky there's something about the way Philly is a character in that movie that appeals to me. Usually I find the back half of movies drag, but the first half felt like it sagged whereas the back half really squared the circle on the film. The most interesting thing, is how oddly hopeful the end is. Dude totally hosed up every single good thing in his life, lost his brother, wife, kids, and career. But he seems to have actually managed to learn at the end, a lot of movies take an easy out by just having these people die or stay evil forever. Having someone take a least the first baby steps into growing as a person is far more interesting.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Guess I'm sort of breaking the thread by not giving my most immediate reaction but I like to do a roundup of recent noteworthy watches.

The Smiling Madam Beudeut - A silent film by female(!!) director Germaine Dulac. It's about a woman with a boorish husband who likes to "prank" her by pretending to kill himself with a revolver. She decides to get revenge by actually loading it so he'll die for real. Uh that's like 90% of the film, it's a short one, which is why I watched it. Kinda liked the expressionist style to this rather simple story, and I did feel sympathy for the protagonist. Still, other than the historical importance of this being an early feminist film it's not noteworthy. 5/10

Hara Kiri: The last time I saw a Kobayashi film was at least a decade ago, when I watched Samurai Rebellion. I don't know why it's taken me so long to revisit his filmography, that film is probably the best non-Kurosawa samurai film I have seen. Or perhaps I should say "had seen" since Hara Kiri might be even greater. The setup is a masterless samurai showing up on the doorstop of a local lord's mansion and asks to be allowed to commit suicide in his courtyard. This simple setup slowly unwinds itself into one of the tightest written narratives I've seen in a while. It's one of those stories that could work as a stageplay, focused around a few strongly drawn characters and only a couple of locations. Definitely not going to wait so long before checking out more of this director's filmography. 9/10

A Touch of Zen - This is kind of the opposite of Hara Kiri in some ways, attempting to be a sprawling epic of sorts. This is a wuxia classic, basically what Crouching Tiger would've been if it was made in 1970. Unfortunately, by being made in 1970 instead of even 5 years later, the action is kind of weak compared to even a subpar Shaw Studios chop sockey flick. That being said, every other aspect of filmmaking blows those movies out of the water. I love the locations in this movie, from the abandoned temple overgrown with grass (reminds me of Ghost of Tsushima, actually) to the bamboo forest, there's a great depth to the imagery in this movie. This is like the third movie I've seen recently that's based on a Pu Songling tale and it seems like all of his stories are about bureaucrats getting pussy from some sort of badass warrior woman. This time around the romance isn't as good as a Chinese Ghost Story and there are some aspects of plot I'm unsure of, but I did love the performance of the lead actress and some of the religious symbolism here. It's trying to go for something much more grand than any other kung fu film of this era and it mostly succeeds. 7.5/10

Whiplash - Screenwriting books are going to be citing this fuckin movie for decades. Oh yeah and JK Simmons is still a GOAT actor and this might be his best role 9/10.

Eat Brains Love - doesn't even have a loving ending. who the gently caress do you think you are, denis villenueve? i'm not waiting for part 2 to see how your stupid loving zombie love triangle is going to end. 1/10

Venom: Let There Be Carnage - didn't finish this one because I had to go to work but ehh I think I can guess what the rest of this is 5/10, just for how much Tom Hardy is trying.

Hereditary - Ari Aster is a master at capturing a sort of sinister occult vibe and I appreciate that much more than a million jump scares. The best horror films are rooted in real life fears and this is a great depiction of tragedy tearing apart a family, aided by Toni Collette and Alex Wolff's performances and the psychological depth to their characters. And that's before the spooky stuff goes down! This seems like something that would reward rewatches, with clever little hints and symbolism foreshadowing what's really going on under the surface. 8/10

Fantastic Planet - Acid trip animated movie that serves as a parable about how we treat those we deem inferior, whether human or not. This film not only has an alien setting, but it feels like an alien artifact, just so much bizarre stuff goes on that isn't commented on, like it's everyday poo poo for there to be plants that jizz gunk or flying anteater bats that eat people or whatever. This is like if Dr. Seuss directed Pink Floyd's The Wall or if Terry Gilliam animated some sort of nightmare version of Avatar. 9/10

Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion - It'd be easy to write this off as "just" being an exploitation movie, another 70s film about women in prison with nudity and violence. But then you see just how stylish and cool every frame of this movie is and realize you've stumbled on the rare b-movie that lives up to the poster art. The use of colors, the crazy camera angles, the lighting, the comic book style flashbacks, this is the kind of thing Quentin Tarantino beats off to. Makes me hate the Purge movies even more for not even trying to be fun or entertaining like this. 7/10

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Martian This movie started okay, if a little rote, then halfway through it just totally derailed. Right around when donald glover's epic quirky physicist comes up with his stupid plan. Every single scene on ground control sucks, as does every scene in the Hermes. You wanna do this movie well? We never see the crew or ground control after the disaster, when he talks to them over the pathfinder it's purely in text. Damon doesn't make cringe jokes constantly, instead he never opens his mouth until he reunites with the Hermes. The movie just follows him in his daily routine as he tries to stay sane and safe while trying to get off the planet.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

War of the Worlds (2005) Holy poo poo those loving kids. If those were my kids, I would have walked face first into a disintegration beam. I half expected the Babadook to crawl out of the tripod at the end. Other than that, some of the effects don't really hold up, but are still effective thematically, especially the river of bodies and the flaming train.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nadja in Paris The more I think about it the more I like it. The way that Nadja operates in Paris is reminiscent of the way many people operate in this online landscape, and seeing her inner journey does not bode particularly well for them. I saw Jean-Pierre Léaud was supposed to be in this, but I must've missed him

Night Moves Just an incredibly solid meat and potatoes noir. A hard 3, enjoyable but lacking anything to really put it over the top. Hackmans a guy I'm gonna keep my eye on, he was the only part of The Firm* that I liked, and I think I've not given the man his due. I was loving shook when I followed up Nadja with this though, what the gently caress are the chances that one watches a Rohmer flick then see's reference to one in the next picture they put on.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

saw RRR again, movie slaps so much and now it's gone so Dr Strange 2 can be on 11 of my theaters 15 screens, tragedy

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Red Rocket was pretty good. Some really funny moments and lots of painful ones. I kept assuming his AVN for best oral was for giving and it made me laugh when it was for receiving and he shared it with a bunch of other guys.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Driver it's amazing how easily you can see this as both a predecessor to Drive and an interpretation of Le Samourai. It's good but not as good as I'd hoped.

The Cook, The Thief, his Wife, and her Lover Amazingly well done sets and, I think the term is, Mise en Scene. The use of colors is totally beautiful, the acting great, and plot compelling. Easily the best movie I've seen this month and It's sad that Mr.Greenway seems to have chosen to do less major film work.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I just watched Playtime and don't hey the love. It was so slow for the first 40 minutes, the back half really picked up and was pretty good, but man it's too long for what it delivers and just didn't resonate with me. I'm curious to hear what people love about it it what makes it so revered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

The Gentlemen was hugely entertaining. Definitely a movie to watch while buzzed, but not too drunk.