Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Cult of Pies posted:

shut em down, athletic commission!

"Jokes on you, aewsexual! I'm not a bot, I do this for free in my own time!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/WrestleCringe/status/1512907670172446731

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Diversity makes us stronger in so many ways

Puro, lucha, and strong style, together.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Tweak posted:

For years in Washington it was financially prohibitive to do a Pro Wrestling show not named WWE because it was defined as, naturally, sports entertainment, which full under the department of licensing's purview. They would require stuff like a license for every wrestler, paramedics, an ambulance on stand by, and a percentage of the show + a per ticket fee. Thankfully in 2017 our governor signed the "lucha bill" to remove this classification.

Lucha Bill is my gimmick name

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

JUNGLE BOY posted:

a good story is when want to fight your opponent because they tried to poison you or they created a new compound that made your balls and butt really hot and hurt

Those are great, but have you considered if Suzuki was actually in America to advance his dream of becoming a world famous country and western singer and Joe took issue with it because it's offensive to his hero Dolly Parton, and we could get Suzuki to try to sing in a Japanese accent, and the climax of the match would be a dwarf lady in a blonde wig and big fake boobs hitting Joe on the head with a guitar (no reason or explanation will be provided for Dolly's heel turn). Now that's storytelling pal.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tweak posted:

For years in Washington it was financially prohibitive to do a Pro Wrestling show not named WWE because it was defined as, naturally, sports entertainment, which full under the department of licensing's purview. They would require stuff like a license for every wrestler, paramedics, an ambulance on stand by, and a percentage of the show + a per ticket fee. Thankfully in 2017 our governor signed the "lucha bill" to remove this classification.

Hopefully most of those requirements weren't removed.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

MassRafTer posted:

Hopefully most of those requirements weren't removed.

They don't need to hold an ambulance on stand by anymore, and a wrestling school (or promoter?) basically gets licensed to put on the shows (I don't believe competitors need a license themselves). Not sure about the state taking 6% of the gate + $1 per ticket, I'm also not very good at reading these things but I liked the last line of the bill:

"The legislature finds that Washington is ready to rumble."
https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2017-18/Pdf/Bills/House%20Passed%20Legislature/1420-S.PL.pdf#page=1

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/HecBitw/status/1512945294861815810

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

lol, Guy with a Lion Mark pfp is an All Japan loyalist

https://twitter.com/Japan__Stan/status/1512959088401043459

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

dromal phrenia posted:

Lucha Bill is my gimmick name

Lucha Bill
Mexi-king
Signing laws
Meet him in the ring

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

sticklefifer posted:

Lucha Bill
Mexi-king
Signing laws
Meet him in the ring

Lucha Bill
Extort-ing
Pay us now
Or no wrestle-ing

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I love when we can post wrestlers in this thread:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Has she been anywhere of note since getting kicked out of AEW?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Malcolm Excellent posted:

she burned those bridges a long time ago

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
She needs to control her narrative better.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

She's back working in SHINE, which I didn't know still existed before looking up her Cagematch just now

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

She was champion of the hottest promotion of 2021: SWE Fury.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/ThisIsNasty/status/1513207683305725953

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
the creatine is turning the wrestlers gay!

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Dang I miss my friends in Seattle.

Freaking Josh over there looking like a goober

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/AEW_Fritz/status/1512913245677445120

I've missed tweets like this.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Someone named AEW Fritz Von Erich asking for a more sports based presentation is rich considering his namesake faked a heart attack to sell tickets after one of his sons died

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Being 14 is wishing for your dumb hobby to go back to an era when it was respectable in people's eyes, being an adult is realising it was never respectable and enjoying it for that reason.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

It's been a while since we've had the ol' SPORTS BASED gem

What would that even MEAN in the context of pro wrestling?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

if you watch AEW you deserve nothing more than death

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

clearly there are no shenanigans in aew at all

(i think the real answer is that they lean harder into typical sports “tropes” like tournaments/cups and records, and have a bit of a stronger emphasis on matchups that are just two athletes competing to be the best rather than leaning into things like the miz having a “talk show”)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

clearly there are no shenanigans in aew at all

(i think the real answer is that they lean harder into typical sports “tropes” like tournaments/cups and records, and have a bit of a stronger emphasis on matchups that are just two athletes competing to be the best rather than leaning into things like the miz having a “talk show”)

no the complaint is that AEW isn't Sports Based enough

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I think a lot of it is people who just kind of assumed that AEW would be New Japan But In America and I don't think that was ever gonna be the thing and the fact that people are still apocalyptically mad that it didn't turn out to be the thing they imagined in their head is kind of wild.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I'm relatively sure that by "sports based" all that was ever meant was "longer matches, and we record wins and losses"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
They were probably hoping that "sports based" meant they'd have sports gimmicks, like a wrestler who's a baseball player, one who's a football player, one who's a golfer, etc.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Alaois posted:

no the complaint is that AEW isn't Sports Based enough

oh duh, i don’t know how i misread that.

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
I thought the main complaint about AEW was that they don't have any stories.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the complaints are broad and frequently conflicting

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

AEW Is Bad Because It's Not WWE

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Venomous posted:

:monocle: By jove, I think we've cracked the case

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Venomous posted:

It's not just that, I think WWE weirdos are genuinely mad that AEW is better than WWE. They get angry that news sites and podcasts are talking it up while simultaneously talking about how poo poo WWE is and since they have this weird tribalism, they assume that means war and must just make weird poo poo up to support their views.

Dr. Baker posted:

I thought the main complaint about AEW was that they don't have any stories.

But also that it's too violent, and that they hire only WWE rejects, and they have no stars, and Adam Cole is buried, and CM Punk was never good, and they don't have any POC representation, and they're exposing the business, and their roster is too bloated, and and and...

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 10, 2022

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

We're WCW diehards like this in the year 2000?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

They were probably hoping that "sports based" meant they'd have sports gimmicks, like a wrestler who's a baseball player, one who's a football player, one who's a golfer, etc.

Brian Battler for AEW when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

We're WCW diehards like this in the year 2000?

We were just desperately clinging to anything we could talk up as not being loving terrible, personally

Jung dragons and three count did a lot of heavy lifting in some dire days