Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FrickenMoron posted:

So I'm not wrong that they massively lowered all drop rates in this game because of the seal mechanic? That definitely was a terrible decision.
The seal never gets cheaper either. I ended up at Sealing skill level 60something and it still took a noticeable chunk of my RP - is it goddamn percentage-based?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm not sure that this table is accurate. It lists some monsters that produce items as not producing items (mostly monsters that don't produce an item every day), and unless I have been absolutely and astoundingly lucky, I don't think their drop rates for recipe bread are correct at 2%. Drop rates are definitely low though, and I'm currently working on happy rings and other such things to try to compensate for that.

hrm it could be, datamined drop rates from version 1.0.7 puts recipe bread at 20%. Though it is also possible it was heavily nerfed for the western release and you're really lucky.

Edit: Actually I'm probably reading it wrong and 20 isn't 20%, because some things are listed above 100. 20 being 2% does make the other items (e.g. one at 150 being 15%) more likely.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 7, 2022

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
RF5: Is there a mistake/bug with the wind cloak or why is it so much better than any other armor around the same skill?
Sparkling Shirt: 78/52
Wind Cloak: 385/320
Protector: 128/68

I've sorted by skill level.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It's so much better and you get a free one from a chest guaranteed. I have no idea why.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

What I’m getting from all of this is that I should wait for RF5 on PC so I can just mod this stuff into being a bit more respectful of my time.

Not that RF4S is probably any better and I’m having a blast with it so

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

RF4: I have access to the gold-tier farm tools now, way earlier than I got the silver-grade ones, but now I have a problem I never expected to have. My maximum RP is not high enough to forge them!

I am around level 80, but I'm quickly learning that level means basically dick-all in this game and it is heavily scaled by equipment, so I don't know how much difference that makes. Anything I should focus on to get my RP maximum up? I've been visiting the bath every day, and also eating, getting to bed before midnight, etc.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Silver Falcon posted:

RF4: I have access to the gold-tier farm tools now, way earlier than I got the silver-grade ones, but now I have a problem I never expected to have. My maximum RP is not high enough to forge them!

Drink a relax tea. Gives large base +RP but more importantly +50% max rp on top.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Silver Falcon posted:

I am around level 80, but I'm quickly learning that level means basically dick-all in this game and it is heavily scaled by equipment, so I don't know how much difference that makes. Anything I should focus on to get my RP maximum up? I've been visiting the bath every day, and also eating, getting to bed before midnight, etc.

What's your current forging skill? It costs way more RP to forge an item the further your forging skill is from the recipe level. You probably just need to raise it a bit-- you can make short swords out of iron and upgrade them with scrap metal, iron, or other junk to raise skill without needing difficult materials.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Silver Falcon posted:

Level your forging skill more, the closer you start to get to the recipe the less RP it takes. It goes down all the way to 10 if your skill level is much higher than the requirement.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Jesus you people weren't kidding. I mashed a few short swords with scrap metal and got two measly forging levels and that knocked the RP requirement for the new tools from 1300 down to 900. :psyduck: Forging level is now 39.

Duly. noted.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Silver Falcon posted:

Jesus you people weren't kidding. I mashed a few short swords with scrap metal and got two measly forging levels and that knocked the RP requirement for the new tools from 1300 down to 900. :psyduck: Forging level is now 39.

Duly. noted.

Yeah, it's not quite exponential, but the cost increase is incredibly steep. Very rarely should you ever need to boost max RP with food to craft something; it's almost always just a matter of boosting the requisite skill to make the cost affordable.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, it's not quite exponential, but the cost increase is incredibly steep. Very rarely should you ever need to boost max RP with food to craft something; it's almost always just a matter of boosting the requisite skill to make the cost affordable.

For normal crafting, maybe, but if you want to power level then Relax Tea is the way to go so you can craft way over level.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
If you do want to boost your max RP keep in mind pretty much every skill raises it, btw.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Ended up hacking my switch just to be able to overclock it and drat, it makes a huge difference when playing RF5 in docked mode. The only stuttering left is when loading new areas, everything else seems to be a mostly smooth 30 fps.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I know that it's not super efficient money-wise, but in the interests of reducing my minutes-per-day so I don't burn out before getting kids, I'm thinking of turning over most of my farm dragons to monsters entirely. I have a few questions though:

I know monsters will harvest, and will spend your money to plant random seeds if you allow it, but will they plow? Or do I still have to do that?

If I let a monster harvest fodder, will they put it in the fodder bin or the shipping bin?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I finally got some Royal Carrots and made an attempt at taming the horse boss. I brushed him a bunch and then tried feeding them the carrots, but they all failed. I got three of them. Is that RNG or is three not enough? Do I need to reset until successful or grow more Royal Carrots?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I finally got some Royal Carrots and made an attempt at taming the horse boss. I brushed him a bunch and then tried feeding them the carrots, but they all failed. I got three of them. Is that RNG or is three not enough? Do I need to reset until successful or grow more Royal Carrots?

It is RNG. The best thing to do is to try and get a stack of the item you use to tame and save. If you don't tame them with the stack, just reload and try again.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

It's rng. You can also try using a few hits with a love weapon alongside the brushing.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

cheetah7071 posted:

I know that it's not super efficient money-wise, but in the interests of reducing my minutes-per-day so I don't burn out before getting kids, I'm thinking of turning over most of my farm dragons to monsters entirely. I have a few questions though:

I know monsters will harvest, and will spend your money to plant random seeds if you allow it, but will they plow? Or do I still have to do that?

If I let a monster harvest fodder, will they put it in the fodder bin or the shipping bin?

You still need to plow. Use regrowing crops on those fields.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

The other great thing about RF5 is that since the dragon stone buffs hit the whole field at once, it should be trivial to refill crop health and increase growing speed as and when you need it, so long as you can afford the 150,000 price tag for the health and the 250,000 price tag for the growth speed. But for an entire field of crops (something like 48ish plots)? That's honestly a bargain.

I'm working on filling my dragon fields with strawberries to try to upgrade the soil levels. Not sure if animal harvesting will properly upgrade the plots. If not, then I'll just swap to something more profitable.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Rynoto posted:

It's rng. You can also try using a few hits with a love weapon alongside the brushing.

I gave the horse a couple whacks with a Sweet Potato staff before giving it the carrot and suddenly it changed its tune. So now I have a pet lightning horse and I even had a Royal Carrot left over to give Dylas.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Now take both of them along for dungeons.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I keep getting hit by instant death attacks and end up paying 50,000g for it. It's very frustrating!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've done all the required events (I think; I did three of them and that's what google says), and am level 10 with Beatrice, but she's still giving me the response where she thinks I'm joking when I try to confess to her

is there some sort of hidden step the guides are missing

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I keep getting hit by instant death attacks and end up paying 50,000g for it. It's very frustrating!

Yeah RF5 has a problem with faint attacks past the midgame. Theoretically you can go find the big chickens on the right side of the grass area and get their combs - those can upgrade equipment to resist faint attacks. There's also Curry Manju to resist faint attacks 100% of the time, and I think an accessory that provides status immunity.

It's a really bad design decision to have so many enemies inflict it though - instant death against the player should be extremely rare or something that can be played around (like the death/curse status effects in the souls games, where they're something that builds up by standing in fart gas).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I've done all the required events (I think; I did three of them and that's what google says), and am level 10 with Beatrice, but she's still giving me the response where she thinks I'm joking when I try to confess to her

is there some sort of hidden step the guides are missing

You might have some town event or story event active that's blocking other things from happening?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dirk the Average posted:

You might have some town event or story event active that's blocking other things from happening?

I'm fairly deep into postgame

Am I correct that the flow is supposed to be:

-do three heart events for them
-get to rank 7+
-confess using the BTW menu

Because I've definitely done three Beatrice heart events (in fact, I just did a fourth, ! event for her), she's rank 10, and she's still acting like I'm joking

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was able to get Lucy to take me seriously, so it's definitely something weird going on with Bea, not the state of my game...

At least, I'm pretty sure I did three heart events for her. The final one was the one where she's baking bread, which the one guide I found said was her final event.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
You only get one real attempt per heart level - once someone has turned you down they'll always turn you down until you rank up again. You might have just had bad luck the first time you asked?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Snake Maze posted:

You only get one real attempt per heart level - once someone has turned you down they'll always turn you down until you rank up again. You might have just had bad luck the first time you asked?

does turning you down look the same as them thinking you're joking?

She's friend rank 10, which I thought was supposed to be a 100% success rate. Is it possible that it gets hosed up if you ask on the same day the level ranks up?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Asking on GameFAQs, it seems like if you're in the middle of an event or special day (like a festival) they'll auto-reject you and then that gets locked in until the next friend level rank up

so uh, don't make the same mistake I did and confess during a festival

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I ground out rank 11 and coincidentally it was another festival day and this time it worked. It seems like you can't confess if you have an event running because your first date uses the event slot--but if you attempt to confess, it still uses your attempt for that tier and you have to grind out another one. What a dumb system

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah RF5 has a problem with faint attacks past the midgame. Theoretically you can go find the big chickens on the right side of the grass area and get their combs - those can upgrade equipment to resist faint attacks. There's also Curry Manju to resist faint attacks 100% of the time, and I think an accessory that provides status immunity.

It's a really bad design decision to have so many enemies inflict it though - instant death against the player should be extremely rare or something that can be played around (like the death/curse status effects in the souls games, where they're something that builds up by standing in fart gas).

Yeah I'm working on adding faint res to a bunch of stuff now. It's annoying though to be fighting a random enemy in an otherwise normal dungeon and suddenly get completely knocked out!

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It's the Hell Ghosts and one variant of the sorceror dudes that uses faint attacks yeah, always a pain.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's one particular enemy formation in the leadup to the final boss which took me a good half-dozen tries to get down

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Stupid question - is there any mechanical difference between the farm dragons? Like is the fire one always summer and the ice always winter?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
No difference at all. Crops grow in every season by the way. There's no reason to not be growing something outside of slower growth.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

brainwrinkle posted:

Stupid question - is there any mechanical difference between the farm dragons? Like is the fire one always summer and the ice always winter?
The reason I can prove this is not a stupid question is because they all grow the same starfall crop

ask me about finding out firsthand by wasting a bunch of starfall seeds on dragons just assuming they were seasonal :(

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Oh man, Stardew has me trained that my crops are just gonna poof at the start of a season so this whole time I’ve been laughing like I got away with something.

Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
after doing the three special dates, I know there's supposed to be some sort of special event that procs for your bf/gf and that after that you can start moving towards the wedding. Is that just like, a regular town event that you need to wait for the RNG to roll, or is there something I can do to trigger it (I'm starting to get generic dates so I assume it isn't triggered by asking them out on a date but I don't know for sure)? How long can I expect to be waiting for it

e: it turns out bea's triggers in the evening and I've been just zooming through the days and going to bed by 10am so I played a trick on myself

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 11, 2022