Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

bobjr posted:

Onward might be the most forgettable Pixar’s movie. I don’t think there’s much bad about it, but it leaves your head really quickly

The good dinosaur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Good Dinosaur was so forgettable most people don’t know it even exists.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/bluestein/status/1513124635864350720

He'll almost surely win the primary and...well almost surely win the election barring massive outreach to voters who don't have any reason to believe in D's after this term, but I honestly believe Herschel is not well and...trying to be elected is not going to do him any favors.

quote:

Each of Walker’s top rivals criticized the GOP frontrunner for skipping the event and predicted that his strategy, which involves a regimen of mostly tightly scripted events and private gatherings, would leave him vulnerable against Democratic U.S. Sen. Raphael Warnock.

They simply can't allow him to debate because it would require him to say things that aren't scripted. e: like I don't think this is a Biden gaffe machine becoming worse with age situation or a Trump saying whatever he can to have people cheer for him, I think he's really not there at all anymore.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 10, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Walker having lost it is like the worst kept secret in politics. I know it’s not looking good for Dems in November, but losing to Walker would be really sad. The guy is being puppeted around. Any actually debate will show he’s out of his mind.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
When a public figure is described in the media as "a complicated figure" or something to that effect, the translation is basically, "this guy is/was a real piece of poo poo, but a significant portion of my audience will yell at me if I say that explicitly", right?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

Walker having lost it is like the worst kept secret in politics. I know it’s not looking good for Dems in November, but losing to Walker would be really sad. The guy is being puppeted around. Any actually debate will show he’s out of his mind.

Walker never had it to lose.

Dude has diagnosed multiple personality disorder.

A functioning state would be calling in adult protective services.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

A functioning state would be calling in adult protective services.

Honestly this is true about several prominent elected officials and welp

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

We watched the first Venom last night. It was fine. Could have done with less exposition. Tom Hardy is very sweaty in that movie.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I am so bad at caulking

Try to just do a steady application and end up saying gently caress it and using my finger to spread it into the gap instead because it's uneven

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Qwijib0 posted:

The good dinosaur.

I got to tour Pixar once and they have an art section in the office and normally half of it is concept stuff from their latest movie and half is original art by the people who work on the art for the movies, but when I went, because The Good Dinosaur and Finding Dory were so close to release from each other, it was nothing but concept art. I don't think I'll ever forgive The Good Dinosaur for existing because of that.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Saw a Pixar guy give a lecture once and I thought the most fascinating thing was that they said the limitation to their render time wasn't processing power but power consumption. That was 15 years ago so I wonder if it holds true, but even then I am still dumbstruck that its power of all things and not memory or processing power.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

man it's a good thing d link has escaped this cesspit

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I got to tour Pixar once and they have an art section in the office and normally half of it is concept stuff from their latest movie and half is original art by the people who work on the art for the movies, but when I went, because The Good Dinosaur and Finding Dory were so close to release from each other, it was nothing but concept art. I don't think I'll ever forgive The Good Dinosaur for existing because of that.

The Good Dinosaur is really pretty though. For computer animated landscapes, they did an excellent job.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
new electric callboy dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx1uLMvsmvk

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

well, that was certainly a track.

I enjoyed, thank you for sharing.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

DA is gonna toss the Texas woman's abortion charges, which is insane that it got that far. Also, the Judge should be benched (dis-benched? debenched?).

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Intruder posted:

man it's a good thing d link has escaped this cesspit

I’m Losing another bro to the ho. Sigh.

Jk he knows I’m happy for him. He’s a truly good dude

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

swickles posted:

DA is gonna toss the Texas woman's abortion charges, which is insane that it got that far. Also, the Judge should be benched (dis-benched? debenched?).

“Unseated” is how I’ve seen it described

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

“Unseated” is how I’ve seen it described

I kind of wished we could go back to the days of the fancy white wigs and just call it dewigging. Bonus if it is done ceremoniously on live TV.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The fact that law enforcement officials and judges are elected positions still blows my mind even after living in the US for a decade.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

The fact that law enforcement officials and judges are elected positions still blows my mind even after living in the US for a decade.

I think only sheriff is elected? Could be wrong though

Judges and other court officials though, yeah

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

I've always thought it was crazy as well tbh. I don't know how or why there was that split. Is there any other former colony that does it? Or anywhere else in the world that does it that way?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BigPaddy posted:

It's changed a bit in the last few years since attention has been called to it but in a lot of places whoever ran did so unopposed. Like, you hear the sheriff is retiring and you're some rando who goes 'I want to be sheriff,' file a little paperwork to get on the ballot, and suddenly you are.

Intruder posted:

DA's are probably the ones we should pay more attention to all in all in my dumbass opinion that may or may not be correct. Or rather the most important elections we routinely ignore.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Intruder posted:

I think only sheriff is elected? Could be wrong though

The United States are 50 little laboratories of democracy and all do it different. Some states have appointed judges, some have elections. Again with other official offices like clerk of court and coroner. In fact in some western states the coroner is more powerful than the Sheriff because the Sheriff is supposed to be the top of the law but then someone said "well what if the Sheriff is corrupt and killing opponents and lying in the courts" so the coroner can prosecute the Sheriff.

Yes as a whole it's really stupid, but on a smaller scale it's still stupid.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eleven states including Texas directly elect judges and... man

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
The flip side problem is that appointed judges and DA’s will allow whoever appointed them to get away with everything up to and including literal murder.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kalli posted:

Eleven states including Texas directly elect judges and... man

Direct election of judges is obscene. Case in point: About twelve years ago here in Iowa, the state Supreme Court ruled that the state's law prohibiting same-sex marriage violated the equal protection clause of Iowa's constitution. Essentially, the ruling legalized same-sex marriage in the state.

Three of the Supreme Court justices were up for re-election the following year. All three lost their seats.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yes. Elected judges, in theory, are held accountable by the voters. Except like 99% of judges are re-elected/retained.

It’s kind of a difficult decision when it comes to highly technical government jobs. I’m of the opinion that they should just be appointed by an apolitical board. Let the state bar association pick judges and give them like max three 5-year terms and that’s it. Coroners should be appointed too.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Coroners should be elected and required to run the dirtiest of campaigns by law.

"Unlike my opponent, I promise your loved one will not become someone else's loved one."

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Coroners should be elected and required to run the dirtiest of campaigns by law.

"Unlike my opponent, I promise your loved one will not become someone else's loved one."

I got to witness one of the more bizarre coroner campaigns in history - back around 2000-2001, one of my friends noticed that Madison never had any Republicans running for that office. He and I were part of a nihilist/lunatic political party at UW, which had at one point included Integral, for older SA lore.

He ran as basically a mad scientist, posters up of him covered in viscera, I can’t remember if he repeated the live vivisection stunt we’d done earlier, but you can imagine the direction it went.

He got like 24% of the vote.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Hell, I was at the UW at that time and don't remember that at all, but I absolutely would've been one of those 24%.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Abugadu posted:

I got to witness one of the more bizarre coroner campaigns in history - back around 2000-2001, one of my friends noticed that Madison never had any Republicans running for that office. He and I were part of a nihilist/lunatic political party at UW, which had at one point included Integral, for older SA lore.

He ran as basically a mad scientist, posters up of him covered in viscera, I can’t remember if he repeated the live vivisection stunt we’d done earlier, but you can imagine the direction it went.

He got like 24% of the vote.
There was a solid Goon Crew out of UW-Madison back in the day. At one point the TAs were trying to organize or strike or something like that, so the goons did a "protest" of sorts campaigning for robot rights. They made 3 cardboard box robots and marched along the quad or whatever while playing Kraftwerk on a boombox and then went to get beer. One robot was from a refridgerator box and when they gave the person inside beer the plastic cup with through a hatch on top and slowly lowered into the box. There was video, and I wish I knew how to find it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Intruder posted:

I am so bad at caulking

Try to just do a steady application and end up saying gently caress it and using my finger to spread it into the gap instead because it's uneven

Same. I always end up doing that as well and I hate it because it's so loving messy.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

You can get little caulking tools to clean up your caulk lines instead of using your finger. Makes it a little more uniform. Caulking is definitely a practice makes perfect kind of skill. I have gotten ok at it.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

https://badgerherald.com/news/2011/12/12/prankster-reflects-o/

I have pics of the giant golden phallus somewhere.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Watched Blade for the hell of it last week. Just started Blade II and I gotta say, I respect the premise of "what if, like, double vampires?"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Quiet Feet posted:

Watched Blade for the hell of it last week. Just started Blade II and I gotta say, I respect the premise of "what if, like, double vampires?"

I have no idea how the first blade was so good.

Second was good too, just a different movie. But the first just nailed something.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Abugadu posted:

https://badgerherald.com/news/2011/12/12/prankster-reflects-o/

I have pics of the giant golden phallus somewhere.

The Onion started at UW right? That school is known for its jokesters.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If you're tidying up q caulk bead with your finger use liquid soap on your hands to get that nice finish and not have it go weird because it's sticking to your fingers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

I have no idea how the first blade was so good.

Second was good too, just a different movie. But the first just nailed something.

Its kind of like how movies in the mid 2000's every studio tried to make parkour a thing. Every movie that actually tried failed. Blade managed to do goth and rave culture in a way that wasn't some exec saying "hey lets get these things into films!" It never seemed liked an idea that came from an exec somewhere.