Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

this show remains the greatest, all three bits were top tier

i really appreciate how ishigamis arc hasnt just been a 180 degree turn. he's better about things in some ways, and still a little poo poo sometimes. taking the bullet for iino was truly heroic, even if she refused to be saved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fairlight
May 18, 2007

The direction of this show puts most other seasonal anime to shame

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I missed this show's energy show much.

Although it's been a while, what was up with the very beginning?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Electric Phantasm posted:

I missed this show's energy show much.

Although it's been a while, what was up with the very beginning?

That's what the previous season ended on.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Season 2 ended with them playing the game where they took turns inflating a balloon until it popped and blew up the whole school.

efb

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hunt11 posted:

I had forgotten just how much I had missed these idiots.

i have it on good authority that they are actually fiendishly clever

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

i have it on good authority that they are actually fiendishly clever

This is demonstrably untrue

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I continue to enjoy seeing things blow up in Fujiwara's face; losing to Ishi is a well deserved punishment. Although I wish Ishigami would be less of a dweeb already. Just stop while you're ahead, stop digging yourself into a deeper hole than you already are!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This show is so good. Felt very called out by the middle story

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Left on read.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

missed the chaotic energy of this show so goddamn much

all hail Muscle Hime

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I watched the new episode this morning and it was fantastic. The fact that Shinomiya couldn't let him see her sweat was fabulous.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I was hoping they'd bring up you gotta be pretty strong to be an archer. Hell yeah.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
What a great way to kick off the season. The Discord namedrop at the end of the second bit had me loling (along with 80% of the episode).

Hunt11 posted:

I had forgotten just how much I had missed these idiots.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The week-long wait for more of these dummies is excruciating I tell you what.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The week-long wait for more of these dummies is excruciating I tell you what.
But less excruciating than it was for season 2 when it was the only bright spot of April 2020.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
A rather surprising ED sequel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVoz_fH59Ew

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That ED feels like Starship Troopers got telephone game'd. :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grouchio posted:

But less excruciating than it was for season 2 when it was the only bright spot of April 2020.

Not quite. Princess Connect was airing then too.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

That ED feels like Starship Troopers got telephone game'd. :v:

No way that was just flat out starship troopers.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yawgmoft posted:

I mean the guns aren't right (seemed like regular M16s?) and I don't recall there being laser zeppelins.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean the guns aren't right (seemed like regular M16s?) and I don't recall there being laser zeppelins.

The guns look like the carbine variant of the Morita that Zander and Rasczak use.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yawgmoft posted:

Ya

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1515054488985518086?t=TYjWZ9syYftsa6yfNk25Hg&s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
By all means let this guy make direct a Starship Troopers anime. It'll wash the bad taste out of my mouth that the Shinji Aramaki movies left.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

By all means let this guy make direct a Starship Troopers anime. It'll wash the bad taste out of my mouth that the Shinji Aramaki movies left.

What will wash out the taste of the older anime, then? Because that was really bad too.

Putting aside the shockingly low amount of action and the complete absence of any political considerations, it had the sergeant yell at Rico for not leaving people behind. And that's kind of the MI's whole thing! They take responsibility for their people no matter what, no-one left behind. But no. If someone dies saving a fellow MI against orders, then he doesn't even get a military funeral.

It's deeply weird.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The song Hayasaka was belting out was very late-90s/early-'00s. It gave me so many random nostalgia feels.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

What will wash out the taste of the older anime, then? Because that was really bad too.

Putting aside the shockingly low amount of action and the complete absence of any political considerations, it had the sergeant yell at Rico for not leaving people behind. And that's kind of the MI's whole thing! They take responsibility for their people no matter what, no-one left behind. But no. If someone dies saving a fellow MI against orders, then he doesn't even get a military funeral.

It's deeply weird.

That OVA is the one piece of Starship Troopers media I haven't seen, actually, because I heard it was bad. I knew the Aramaki films would be bad going into them but Ed Neumeier still wrote them and seeing Johnny Rico turn into Big Boss from Metal Gear was amusing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Honestly, they should have a full OVA of the story. Just take the 2 (maybe 3 in the next series's go around) EDs and flesh them out to a full story.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

It may have features that make it look like an M16 but that's definitely a Morita Mk I rifle.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Starship_Troopers#Morita_Mk_I_Rifle

EDIT: But yeah, the Zeppelin doesn't really belong as a Starship Troopers reference. I feel like it and the opening shot with Shirogane dressed as a farm hand standing next to a wooden airplane are an entirely different reference.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 16, 2022

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They're carried over from the previous ED.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

losing my mind at that whole exchange by Kaguya and Hayasaka

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

you hosed up a perfectly good fujiwara is what you did. look at her. she's got anxiety

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't believe I forgot about Shirogane's terrible singing, that was good callback.

Retro Hippy
Feb 8, 2022

These first two episodes were so loving good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Full OP with English subs in the CC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vptdHEUZN10

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That song is such an earworm. Suu was absolutely phoning it in for the video though!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Fujiwara is going to show up at Shirogane's door tomorrow with the elements of hip hop including a mic (for emceeing), suede sneakers (bboying), a turntable set (deejaying), spray paint can (graffiti) and a glock (murder-suicide if he can't figure it out before school starts.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

I loved that it was a sequel to the last ED. Such a cool thing lol. My partner noticed immediately but I didn’t get it till the angel wings and the zeppelin lol.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

This episode title might be a pun that got lost in translation (or I'm overthinking things?)

誅 is an unusual kanji (it's not in any of the usual kanji lists), is not what you'd usually use for "kill", and it's pronounced "chuu", so the title has the same pronounciation as "Kashiwagi Nagisa wants to kiss"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You've just described a pun. Japanese people love puns and think they're hilarious.

Unfortunately most jp puns don't translate to en well