Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

MJeff posted:

You, an idiot: Please God don't like them start adapting post-SA2 garbage into these movies.
Me, a genius: Tyson Hesse is going to fix Sonic 06.

You can't fix Sonic 0'dicks, it's broken in a fundamental level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

MJeff posted:

You, an idiot: Please God don't like them start adapting post-SA2 garbage into these movies.
Me, a genius: Tyson Hesse is going to fix Sonic 06.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Sonic 06 just needed a little love and it could have been salvaged, Silver unmaking themselves and watching their best friend die loving ruled.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The backstory to SA2 goes into somewhat grim territory but this is the same game where

* Sonic is captured by government paramilitary forces because he kinda sorta maybe looks a little bit like Shadow at nighttime.
* Eggman goes to a mad scientist lab in the middle of Egypt in a bipedal walker from where he launches himself into space to board an abandoned space colony his grandfather worked on, eventually finding a black hedgehog that his grandfather ostensibly made.
* Eggman and Shadow are pursued by Rouge, a sexy bat with the big boobs who is a professional thief/treasure hunter but who is also actually a secret government agent keeping tabs on what Eggman and Shadow are doing.
* Sonic and Eggman's parties infiltrate various government facilities in brazen fashion, including an island where Rouge steals some chaos emeralds before getting saved by Shadow at the last second because oh by the way the entire island blew up in the process.
* Said lab in Egypt mentioned earlier is also actually inside one of the Great Pyramids, which opens up on top so that a space shuttle can launch allowing our heroes (and villains) to fly towards the space colony.
* Oh right I forgot one of the main plot beats of this game is Tails' chasing down the President's limousine on the most dangerous and hazardous highway ever constructed so he can borrow his computer.
* The entire last third of the game takes place in and around the giant space colony at more progressively ridiculous locations.
* Turns out Project Shadow was a gigantic space lizard all along because reasons?
* Oh and as mentioned by man nurse this giant space lizard shoved a space colony up its rear end.

This game is batshit insane in the best way and is the absolute perfect template for the next Sonic movie, no questions asked.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
change the human princess into a chimpmunk and adapt sonic 06 imo

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Yes, making Elise an animal would make the game less creepy, same as getting rid of all the creepy lovely humans.
Except Robotnik, keep Robotnik as realistically human as possible

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

change the human princess into a chimpmunk and adapt sonic 06 imo

Now I'm reimagining Sonic 06 as a loose adaptation of the SatAm universe and it actually kinda works.

Turn Princess Elise into Princess Sally, the kingdom is the same one from the cartoon. Instead of a fiery post-apocalypse in the future make it a roboticized hellscape post-Eggman rulership. Silver is actually part of the Freedom Fighters in the future trying to save the kingdom before he's tricked by Mephiles to go into the past. You can even keep Shadow's story (the best one) entirely the same with no changes so long as you change Mephiles's goal (maybe he wants to possess Eggman as Solaris rather than destroy the world or whatever, who cares).

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

this is the point where im now wondering how many more movies theyre planning on, for this universe. cuz while im very excited for the next one i def think we'll be getting diminishing returns past that and id prefer it end on a high note so they can move on to a new project rather than forcing this one to keep going forever

Meet the new Shrek

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

* Turns out Project Shadow was a gigantic space lizard all along because reasons?

Gerald found the echidna Chaos mural from Sonic Adventure while researching the Chaos Emeralds and decided the ultimate life form was a big lizard. He later found the Super Sonic mural from Sonic & Knuckles and made Shadow instead and that's why his quills are shaped like Super Sonic's.

Thinking about the Knuckles show, I'm seeing a few options they could take:
1) Sonic Adventure adaptation focusing more on Knuckles
2) Knuckles Chaotix? I'm not sure where this really goes beyond introducing the Chaotix
3) Original storyline focusing on movie Knuckles' backstory, what happened to his dad and what was up with the humans(?) he was with at the start of the movie
Or go whole hog and do all three at once, I'd watch it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

shadow should shoot someone. with a gun

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think adapting Adventure 1 as a Knuckles story is a good choice for setting up Adventure 2 being Sonic 3.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Procrastine posted:

3) Original storyline focusing on movie Knuckles' backstory, what happened to his dad and what was up with the humans(?) he was with at the start of the movie
Or go whole hog and do all three at once, I'd watch it

Get Idris Elba to tell the story of Knuckles' dad microwaving him when he was an egg.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Knuckles gets a hold of Tails’ cloning machine and accidentally makes a permanent clone of himself he has to work together with.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

since sonic 2 introduced tails and knuckles, i bet sonic 3 introduces not just shadow but also amy. we're gonna get so much amy merch. grrl power.

i will buy the amy and shadow build a bear plushies.

i got the sonic and tails ones after all

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just going to cross-post this from the CD thread since this one is much more active:

--------

Had the day free so I decided to go watch this since I've liked Sonic stuff since way back when. I have so many thoughts!

(just going to spoiler this whole thing since I'll be talking about plot stuff)
Good things:
-Sonic continues to be likeable and entertaining in a similar way to the first movie.
-Knuckles is a great blend of entertaining and legitimately intimidating.
-I liked that Knuckes, Sonic and Tails are essentially all equals on a team that fill in for each other's weaknesses. They have a great group dynamic towards the end.
-Jim Carey continues to be the best part of the entire movie and is clearly having a blast.
-I also love Robotnick's relationship to Stone. They have fantastic chemistry together.
-The special effects are (mostly) decent and the action choreography is quick and fun.
-Despite some gripes I have with the characterization work I liked every character completely bought into each relationship the movie set up.
-Controversial Opinion: The humans actually add to the story despite what you may have heard. The wedding stuff, while probably the least necessary part of the movie, DID work and the movie benefited from it being there (what with the whole Donut Lord becoming Sonic's official dad thing and all).
-Some of the jokes are actually pretty funny

Minor nitpicks:
-Some of the jokes really don't land at all
-Some of the character moments feel artificial and forced.
-The pacing gets kind of janky in places. I suspect they had to cut like 30 minutes out of this movie.
-For some reason Olive Garden remains a constant presence in this franchise.
-Jim Carey should have formed the Death Egg with the master emerald instead of the walking robot thing from Sonic 2. I suspect this was a budget decision since a Death Egg would require a ton more CG work.
-You can kind of tell they are still working within a budget since the movie takes place on earth and not the hundreds of potentially interesting worlds we could be visiting.
-There's a weird moment where Sonic decides the emotionally mature thing to do is take on Knuckles and Robotnick without Tails that is just never followed up on. You'd think he'd have a moment in the temple where he realizes he needs a partner after all but it just doesn't happen and Tails shows up later with all being well. They should probably have just cut that emotional beat entirely and just had Tails be out of the game for that part because of his injuries.
-The movie spends just a bit too much time with the humans. HOWEVER! I do think their role in the movie was justified since they are important characters (again, the adoptive dad thing and all) and cutting them out entirely would have actually made the movie worse. Yeah, I said it. Wanna fight about it!?

Bad ThingsYou know what let's just call this whole section "Tails":
OK, so I liked Tails but of all the elements of this movie he was by far the weakest, which is actually a pretty big problem since he's arguably the second most important character and his relationship to Sonic is arguably the emotional core of the entire movie (at least it SHOULD be. Weirdly Donut Lord and Knuckles end up stealing the spotlight in this respect). A lot of this boils down to the movie just not having enough time to really develop him as a character. He shows up, acts super obsessive, and then immediately starts pumping out information before forming an incredibly close bond in the span of like 5 mins in the bar scene. The basic skeleton of a good character arc is there but large pieces feel like they are missing. I really think the movie would have benefited by adding 2 scenes:

1) A scene on the way to Siberia where Sonic and Tails get to know each other but aren't really in synch yet. Maybe Sonic is put off a bit by how obsessed Tails is with him. This creates some emotional contrast for later after they are friends.

2) During the bar scene we needed a flashback to Tails' home life where he sees the energy spike, learns about the master emerald, and decides to leave. You never actually *see* how he forms this weird parasocial bond with Sonic so he still comes across as stalkerish and a bit creepy even after they are supposed to be friends. Not only that but it raises all sorts of weird plot questions like how the hell this kid saw the energy spike or heard about the master emerald in the first place. However if you were to actually see him living a miserable life as an outcast and then go through a short character arc where he's inspired by the events of the first movie, learns about Knuckles going after the master emerald, and then finally decides to bite the bullet and help his hero I think his character would have worked a whole lot better with minimal changes to the overall story. Again, I DO like the character and even had a little :ohdear: moment when he was knocked unconscious but I think an extra 15 minutes and another script revision would have done his character wonders.

Also, am I crazy or did his design look just a bit ~off~. I don't know, something about the way he looked just didn't work for me. I didn't have this problem with Knuckes or Sonic.

Overall despite my gripes I still think this one was pretty good and a big step up from the first movie. Definitely work a watch if you are a Sonic fan and found the first movie at all enjoyable.

E: Also going to add "needs early 00's buttrock in the final battle" to my list of nitpicks.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 11, 2022

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Shadow is deathly serious the whole movie while everyone else is a goofball, culminating in a reference to the funny comic book panel.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If the Knuckles TV show is Chaotix I'm gonna poo poo a golden brick.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Calaveron posted:

Yeah once you start talking about Robotnik's grandfather wanting to destroy humanity because his daughter died of space AIDS you gotta gently press the brakes and step off on the keep Sonic intentionally goofy intersection

she didn’t die of space aids she was murdered by the United States government and they should adapt the entire game faithfully

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if you see someone complaining that SA2 is way too grimdark and serious they’re probably a fed

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the puppet youtuber does not understand why knuckles has big hands and is getting yelled at on twitter and youtube lol. knuckles ftw

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 11, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Augus posted:

she didn’t die of space aids she was murdered by the United States government and they should adapt the entire game faithfully

she died of both actually

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
She died of a broken heart.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Maria's favorite game was Mario 64 and she couldn't handle heretical talk of it not being one of the best platformers ever. It's a tragic storyline meant to foreshadow Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, but they had to cut some of the follow-up cutscenes for time

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Boba Pearl posted:

She died of a broken heart.

yeah it was broken by a fuckin machine gun lol

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Maria voted for FFVII again but Undertale won the poll that year.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
maria was the dreamcast

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

she died of gunshot but the whole reason gerald was working on project shadow was to find a cure for her space aids

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

wonder if they'll adapt any of the black arms lore into shadow's origin for hte movie. i think id prefer just ignoring that detail to keep it from introducing too many new characters but there might be something fun they could do with that

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

also i forget if this was mentioned or not already but espio and vector actually make a cameo appearance in the pre-quill comic for sonic 2 that goes over what all the major characters were doing before the movie started, so they are technically already in canon. i could def see them being used for hte knuckles mini series

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

side note that comic also explains who the weird aliens that attacked robotnik before knuckles showed up in the movie were (theyre weird alien bounty hunters who originally hunted down knuckles but after he escaped he decided to hire them for himself)

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

They should remake the Pender’s Sally story from the first Archie Sonic special but with Tika Sumpter instead of Sally.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the puppet youtuber does not understand why knuckles has big hands and is getting yelled at on twitter and youtube lol. knuckles ftw

I do love that this is all movies is apparently breaking brains from youtube to the New York Post who can't understand the video game cartoon animals

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Calaveron posted:

I get it, I get that there's a charm in Shadow declaring himself, a hedgehog with SOAP rocket shoes, the ultimate lifeform and melodramatically sacrificing himself to take down the giant mutant lizard in a show of redemption prompted by the memory of his friend who died of space cancer, but it took A LOT for people who play video games to see that charm. Movie going audiences aren't ready for that

I think they're gonna mash Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 into one thing. The big final fight is gonna be against Chaos in like, a flooded New York or something instead of the space lizard. They probably won't do the stuff with Tikal and the Chao, I imagine they'll just tie Chaos into Project Gun and Maria & Shadow's storyline in some way. They've already shown that they're okay with changing the story for stuff. The Master Emerald for instance.

The real question is what other characters are coming? Is Amy being introduced in the next one? Is she being saved for Metal Sonic? What about Rouge and Big? What am I saying of course they're gonna have Big

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1513388166987714564?t=EeV_ygsjFNDe7eIjpZXhbw&s=19

If he seriously thinks he owns the concept of "Sonic stands on a plane that's being piloted by Tails" then hahahaha

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Rouge should cameo in the next film as a weird little gremlin scuttling around in the shadows when they get to the lab where Shadow is being held.

Big should also be a weird lab creature, but large and helpful and shows them how to escape, because Big is perfect and cannot be sullied.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1513388166987714564?t=EeV_ygsjFNDe7eIjpZXhbw&s=19

If he seriously thinks he owns the concept of "Sonic stands on a plane that's being piloted by Tails" then hahahaha

drat, only..18 months after Sonic 2 had that in the ending, we got a real fuckin Nostradamus here

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I sincerely hope the success of the Sonic movies and the increased exposure to the mainstream will result in Sega upping their game to deliver quality Sonic videogames but it's Sega so probably not

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

drat, only..18 months after Sonic 2 had that in the ending, we got a real fuckin Nostradamus here

Also the entire Sky Chase zone and the beginning (and end) of Wing Fortress. As alluded to, Sonic 2 not only predates the Archie comic but also its primary source material SatAM.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 11, 2022

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I invented the concept of "framing a shot from behind someone's back".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

she died of gunshot but the whole reason gerald was working on project shadow was to find a cure for her space aids

There's no soldier or gunshot in the original version of the scene. Why would they shoot the terminally ill girl and not capture her like Gerald?