Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Kadyrov claiming that they'll take Kyiv...eventually. It's from the Kyiv Independent, so grain of salt, but I think they're reporting from his social media...
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1513332594812899332?s=20&t=onDLQ--XnBxjpxoPkt-96g

This just in - my mom says I'm extremely handsome and smart and any girl would be lucky to have me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
NATO’s getting bigger.

Note I know it’s the KI, I haven’t seen the times article itself, and the times.

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1513369238844682244?s=21&t=X3b28awOwsAUJL5CpM7vFA

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nenonen posted:

poo poo, I have a Canon EOS D200. Brb, gonna build myself a Bayraktar...

Backyardtar

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

Unrelated, there were multiple pro-Russian demonstrations registered for today in a few German cities (always with some variation of ":qq: please top being mean to us :qq:"). Except this time people were watching for them and organised counter-protests.

It went well

I have no idea why these people decide to use car convoys now. There was a car convoy to protest high petrol prices recently as well. Protests using cars look much, much larger of course, but they are also so much easier to disrupt…

Oh my God my eye went straight for the poo poo and I thought "man came prepared with that poo poo" and then I saw the horse and had a sensible chuckle

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Yardogan

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Antigravitas posted:

I have no idea why these people decide to use car convoys now. There was a car convoy to protest high petrol prices recently as well. Protests using cars look much, much larger of course, but they are also so much easier to disrupt…

Chuds love car protests, it insulates them from direct consquences (you can't get egged in a car) and gives them feeling of power.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Marshal Prolapse posted:

NATO’s getting bigger.

Note I know it’s the KI, I haven’t seen the times article itself, and the times.

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1513369238844682244?s=21&t=X3b28awOwsAUJL5CpM7vFA

Welcome, brothers in peace and security.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/vorobyov/status/1513072883203022849?s=21&t=jK4pbZkE357ulpADvoMgXg

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

the popes toes posted:

Can they smear mud all over themselves like Arnold did when the Predator was mad at him?

Only for seconds, I imagine, before it heats up to body temperature.

Trouser Mouse Bear
Mar 20, 2004
Bancount - 1

OctaMurk posted:

I'm skeptical about the yoga mats vs IR. Perhaps it's true, but the YPG tried a very similar tactic against the Turkish military and it had no effect; Turkish attack helicopters and drones could see them at night with IR just as easily and slaughtered them in Afrin.

Thermal Blankets or even just tarps (with some distance from your body) work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97l5xvslmsg

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Marshal Prolapse posted:

NATO’s getting bigger.

As a Swedish home guardsmen. The war in Ukraine really ran home the reality of war with Russia to Sweden as a whole.

There's no pulling back, over extending them and then ambushing them. Russia can't be spared a single meter of Swedish ground. Because any community they lay their hands on will result in genocide and mass graves.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The better performing the IR sensor is, the harder it is to hide from. I bet those Russian ones are a bit lacking in sensor cooling etc, so they're probably not as hard to hide from as the best American ones.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Stoltenberg: NATO planning large, permanent military presence on eastern border

Not sure if this was posted yet.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

That's been evident from very early in the war. The bigger news is Stoltenberg calling out member countries on the (dumb) distinction between defensive/offensive weapons when delivering arms to Ukraine.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

NATO’s getting bigger.

Let's just say it's interesting what kind of bullshit Russia will pull in the next 1-2 months and how big of a problem Orban will be.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/samramani2/status/1513215256532860935?s=21&t=iipOMaYYiHRrQKYXccQvJg

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I’ve been reading about newfound fossil wealth around the Crimea and the donbas. Is this generally overblown? Some posters are saying the hypothetical occupation of these zones make for a meagre russian victory, but assuming it’s chock full of gas seems kinda big?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

A BTG is a couple hundred people so this is pretty big. Not sure if this is related to the aforementioned convoy, but there are photos.

Not embedding just to be extra safe - Twitter post just shows destroyed tanks but Facebook post linked in the tweet has partially-blurred images of dead bodies, and the IDs of the battalion commander and CoS.

"Ukrainian SSO claims they destroyed a BTG from the 70th Motorized Rifle Regiment (42nd Motorized Rifle Division) in Donetsk Oblast, including killing the battalion commander and chief of staff in their BMP-3."
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1513385560055951363

USOFCOM on FB posted:

The BTGR commander and his chief of staff were eliminated during the shelling in his BMP-3. Of all those who were in that car temporarily, only Sergeant Magomedov survived. Obgorílogo, Nebagatoslivniko and almost dead was found by our soldiers.
Take note: in the warehouse of the destroyed unit there were many participants in the mass murders of Syrian civilians. As it turns out, the experience of war with defenseless people did not help the Russians during the meeting with our soldiers.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Youth Decay posted:

A BTG is a couple hundred people so this is pretty big. Not sure if this is related to the aforementioned convoy, but there are photos.

Not embedding just to be extra safe - Twitter post just shows destroyed tanks but Facebook post linked in the tweet has partially-blurred images of dead bodies, and the IDs of the battalion commander and CoS.

"Ukrainian SSO claims they destroyed a BTG from the 70th Motorized Rifle Regiment (42nd Motorized Rifle Division) in Donetsk Oblast, including killing the battalion commander and chief of staff in their BMP-3."
https://twittercom/RALee85/status/1513385560055951363

‘Destroying’ a BTG probably doesn’t imply they were killed to the last man but more likely lost 50%-ish casualties. It’s still a pretty good effort though, and removing a few more officers is always helpful.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Mikojan posted:

I’ve been reading about newfound fossil wealth around the Crimea and the donbas. Is this generally overblown? Some posters are saying the hypothetical occupation of these zones make for a meagre russian victory, but assuming it’s chock full of gas seems kinda big?

Not if you convinced your primary market to drop you as a supplier asap and forever. Capturing resources to sell while at the same time demonstrating that the model of "peace through economic integration" doesn't work with Russia is, well, useless.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

Not if you convinced your primary market to drop you as a supplier asap and forever. Capturing resources to sell while at the same time demonstrating that the model of "peace through economic integration" doesn't work with Russia is, well, useless.

It is still a big loss for Ukraine still. While they can probably expect a lot of financial help post war, having gas to sell in the future seems like a very big deal. Losing the areas seems like a very bad thing. And I’m not convinced Russia won’t be able to profit of it when in the farther future fossil fuels dry up further across the globe. Sure, countries turn their back now but I have no faith in the western block keeping their backs turned 20 years down the line.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Mikojan posted:

It is still a big loss for Ukraine still. While they can probably expect a lot of financial help post war, having gas to sell in the future seems like a very big deal. Losing the areas seems like a very bad thing. And I’m not convinced Russia won’t be able to profit of it when in the farther future fossil fuels dry up further across the globe. Sure, countries turn their back now but I have no faith in the western block keeping their backs turned 20 years down the line.

If anything the last month and a half has shown the problem with importing most/all of your energy needs and the importance of some level of self sufficiency. Renewable sources can provide that self sufficiency in most locations and I think there’s going to be even more investment in that direction in coming years. Because gas projects like the potential extraction in Ukraine require long lifespans in order to be viable I’m not sure any will actually be built.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1513385560055951363

That's a significant victory. The Russians don't have any BTGs to spare.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

NATO’s getting bigger.

It's almost certain now that Finland pulls the trigger on the application before June, almost everyone from right to left seem pretty insistent on getting it over with ASAP. Right now it seems the discussions are around getting us adequate security guarantees during the application period. Sweden is still dragging their feet a bit because neutrality really is (was) an ideological position to them, not just a pragmatic one, and need some time to get their head around the new situation.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

barbecue at the folks posted:

It's almost certain now that Finland pulls the trigger on the application before June, almost everyone from right to left seem pretty insistent on getting it over with ASAP. Right now it seems the discussions are around getting us adequate security guarantees during the application period. Sweden is still dragging their feet a bit because neutrality really is (was) an ideological position to them, not just a pragmatic one, and need some time to get their head around the new situation.

Hopefully they don't drag it out. The danger of that is Russia deciding to snip a bit of territory off before a country has formally joined and instigating a conflict that prevents them from joining.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

I am getting real sick of the concept of "false flags" used to discredit literally anything that might make you look bad. It's basically "Nuh-uh!" on a mass media scale. How many actual confirmed major false flag operations have been conducted in the past twenty years or so anyways, compared to all the screaming that people make about this or that being a false flag?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

gay picnic defence posted:

Hopefully they don't drag it out. The danger of that is Russia deciding to snip a bit of territory off before a country has formally joined and instigating a conflict that prevents them from joining.

They absolutely should get it over with ASAP if they want it, but:
Russia and what army?
Because their current one would get eaten alive if they tried some BS in Finland.

E: don't get me wrong Putin absolutely would try and declare a pre-emptive war if he remotely could, but what's the timeline for getting the Red Army back into a functional state?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 11, 2022

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Finlands current army is already natoed enough for russia to think twice

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Kadyrov would take Helsinki in two days and Turku in a week! And post pictures of him standing in Prisma or K-Rauta in St.Petersburg.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

A golf umbrella made of the right sort of material or painted with IR reflective paint sounds like it would be ideal.

Edit - I think a lot of people are assuming Russia has good IR equipment that can detect minor IR emissions. On exposed form that seems like a very bold assumption.
Was making a photoshop of a Ukrainian soldier with an umbrella hat, but run into camo versions of it.

So stupid, and perfect for Ukraine.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

That's not how this works. If NATO wants Finland in they can just waive the "no contested territory" part not to forget the part that most NATO members would already be required to help Finland because of the EU treaty. I guess you could go for Biden/Congress issueing a declaration that the US too extends security guarantees to Finland, but I doubt Russia would try something stupid in Finland at this point.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Omobono posted:

They absolutely should get it over with ASAP if they want it, but:
Russia and what army?
Because their current one would get eaten alive if they tried some BS in Finland.

E: don't get me wrong Putin absolutely would try and declare a pre-emptive war if he remotely could, but what's the timeline for getting the Red Army back into a functional state?

It's enough for Russia to just start some kind of conflict. It doesn't have to be big. They could launch missiles at Finnish bases or fire artillery over the border or occupy a bridge or something and suddenly a NATO membership would mean Brits and Italians immediately going to have to shoot at Russian soldiers or bombing air defense systems on Russian territory. Some NATO countries might chicken out and veto Finland.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Tomn posted:

I am getting real sick of the concept of "false flags" used to discredit literally anything that might make you look bad. It's basically "Nuh-uh!" on a mass media scale. How many actual confirmed major false flag operations have been conducted in the past twenty years or so anyways, compared to all the screaming that people make about this or that being a false flag?
Considering the apartment bombings that launched Putin into power, it might just be projection in this case.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Saw this on reddit, so take it for what it's worth, but supposedly "Ukrainian politician Aleksandr Rzhavsky known for his pro-Russia sympathies, killed by Russian soldiers at his home in Bucha"

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/co..._content=header

You can't just make kill lists, you need to make quisling lists too! This is basic stuff man.

quote:

He welcomed them to his home. They behaved like the animals they are. They wanted more vodka because they're drunken animals. He didn't like the behavior so said no. So they killed him.

Tells you all you need to know about Russian soldiers.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Absolutely stunning video out there today of a tank rolling up to a blockade and firing point blank at a group of 10 russian soldiers, because they mistook it for their own.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Slovakia apparently says the destruction of their S300 has been greatly exaggerated.

https://twitter.com/eduardheger/status/1513250975447986184

Mokotow posted:

Absolutely stunning video out there today of a tank rolling up to a blockade and firing point blank at a group of 10 russian soldiers, because they mistook it for their own.

Where might one find such a video? Asking for a friend.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mokotow posted:

The fact it was mobile should have been a dead give-away.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

GaussianCopula posted:

That's not how this works. If NATO wants Finland in they can just waive the "no contested territory" part not to forget the part that most NATO members would already be required to help Finland because of the EU treaty. I guess you could go for Biden/Congress issueing a declaration that the US too extends security guarantees to Finland, but I doubt Russia would try something stupid in Finland at this point.

I'd like to think that if Putin decided to just attack another European country while still fighting Ukraine that at least some nations would just say "enough of this poo poo" and intervene, Article 5 or no. Peace is the desired outcome and state of being, but if someone's going to rock the boat that much then it would probably be best to make them gently caress off in order to get back to peace in Europe as soon as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gervasius posted:

Chuds love car protests, it insulates them from direct consquences (you can't get egged in a car) and gives them feeling of power.

I mean you can

in fact it really sucks for the paint if you do