Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Isomermaid posted:

Is there a groundswell of people out there that are looking at the state of the UK and going "what this situation needs is more cops, policing us, preferably, and not going after the many and routine crimes commmitted every day by agents of capitalism" or is he just doing his usual thing of starting from an outcome he wants (more cops) and then imagining what he'd say to people who were asking for it?

I imagine he's still speaking to the landlords association pretty often. More eviction officers and riot police essential for the coming years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Isomermaid posted:

Is there a groundswell of people out there that are looking at the state of the UK and going "what this situation needs is more cops, policing us, preferably, and not going after the many and routine crimes commmitted every day by agents of capitalism" or is he just doing his usual thing of starting from an outcome he wants (more cops) and then imagining what he'd say to people who were asking for it?

Yes, but they all vote Tory & those are the only votes Kieth wants

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

keep punching joe posted:

I loving hate the Labour Party, maybe more than the current government.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Isomermaid posted:

Yes, they are eternal.

Wikipedia posted:

The 1926 general strike in the United Kingdom was a general strike that lasted nine days, from 4 to 12 May 1926.[1] It was called by the General Council of the Trades Union Congress (TUC) in an unsuccessful attempt to force the British government to act to prevent wage reductions and worsening conditions for 1.2 million locked-out coal miners. Some 1.7 million workers went out, especially in transport and heavy industry. The government was prepared, and enlisted middle class volunteers to maintain essential services.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The past three years have seen Martin Lewis go from "hey did you know you can save on your standing charge if you get both gas and electric from the same supplier" to

kieth knows whats coming, but I'm not sure he's sure what side the middle class volunteers will be on. Guess this is his recruiting pitch.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

kieth knows whats coming, but I'm not sure he's sure what side the middle class volunteers will be on. Guess this is his recruiting pitch.

I know

based final comment for balance

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 11, 2022

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

Nah, I think "more cops" is a generally popular policy, it was why it was one of the central planks in Labour's platform under Corbyn too. Most people, even most labour voters, don't go to protests and aren't minorities so they don't tend to see the true face of the state's enforcers, but everyone knows someone who was a victim of theft that the police did not lift a finger to help and hears stories about the police not helping when innocents are the victims of violence.

Almost everyone wants a societal force that can protect them from violence and help them get their stuff back when it's stolen. We're almost all trained from a young age to believe that's supposed to be what the police do, so the assumption that the reason it's not happening now is due to shortages of funding is a natural one.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

forkboy84 posted:

Pretty sure this is actually the explicit strategy: be the Tories but without that nasty Johnson character, what a rotter.

Sure do hope he's still leader at the next GE.
Swansea represent

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There is that one person further up who at least recognises that hope has been removed from the young.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm guessing from the positive reference to the Arab Spring rather than them all being isisises that this was from the 2011 London Riots, when austerity was still restrained to eating the working class.

I wonder how those same people will react 12 years later now that leopards are eating their faces. I'm sure it'll still be someone else's fault for a start.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Isomermaid posted:

Is there a groundswell of people out there that are looking at the state of the UK and going "what this situation needs is more cops, policing us, preferably, and not going after the many and routine crimes commmitted every day by agents of capitalism"
Yes. They're idiots, but unfortunately they seem to be in the majority.

"The vibes are bad right now, and cops are the good guys, so more good = less bad so we need more cops" seems to be the prevailing thought process amplified by a psychotic press corps that want to lube the country up for the slide into fascism.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Tories are cunts but at least they seem to understand the transaction of 'vote for us and we'll give you some shiny beads'. Keith's only offer to the public right now is Facebook neighborhood watch, and 'maybe try putting on a jumper... have you tried just not being hungry?'

https://twitter.com/TheScotsman/status/1513400976262238210

^ yeah thats right, levelleling up funds... only available to Tory councils, nothing corrupt or anti democratic here, stop moaning you snowflakes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Scotland is becoming an undemocratic one party state, which is terrible because that party isn't us."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Reveilled posted:

Nah, I think "more cops" is a generally popular policy, it was why it was one of the central planks in Labour's platform under Corbyn too. Most people, even most labour voters, don't go to protests and aren't minorities so they don't tend to see the true face of the state's enforcers, but everyone knows someone who was a victim of theft that the police did not lift a finger to help and hears stories about the police not helping when innocents are the victims of violence.

Almost everyone wants a societal force that can protect them from violence and help them get their stuff back when it's stolen. We're almost all trained from a young age to believe that's supposed to be what the police do, so the assumption that the reason it's not happening now is due to shortages of funding is a natural one.

And also not a wholly inaccurate one. The Tories have cut 30k officers while simultaneously savaging the support network that backed up the force so the ones who remain have more on their plate. That's not to say that coppers were never bastards before, mind you, but now they don't have the resources to do the job they're meant to do.

This of course makes people look askance when you say "defund the police", but that's just the simple slogan. What is required is a restructuring of the police, after which they won't need as much money.

(And the sacking of every Met officer, of course, but that goes without saying.)

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Yeah, my local police station was shut years ago. It is across the road from a large supermarket which has a lot of problems with large groups of youths behavung anti-socially, even chasing adults in broad daylight if facebook is to be believed. I have a feeling if that police station was at least properly open and fully staffed that wouldn't be happening.

The sad reality is in this area, crime is rife and there are probably 2 or 3 police officers on duty to cover quite a large area at night. The best bit is the truly braindead think this is Labour's fault.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Q: who polices the police?

A: nobody‽ well we’d better hire some police to do it, pronto!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
While it's hard to put a precise number on either, more people were beaten to death for being Catholic or foreign - well, for *looking* Catholic or foreign - during the Great Fire of London than died in the actual flames. At one point the Duke of York was having to detach men from firefighting duties to break up lynch mobs.

Not sure why this particular bit of information keeps coming back to me when I look at modern politics.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Finally someone who wants the criminals to pay back to society with I dunno, some sort of service to the community maybe.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The only kinds of reported crime going up are fraud and computer crime which beat cops are not capable of stopping. This is just a pitch at people feeling more precarious due to the visible collapse of big concepts like 'government accountability' and 'being able to eat' but aren't aware that the police would never help them anyway.

Disorder is up! Spawn more police hubs!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Yeah, my local police station was shut years ago. It is across the road from a large supermarket which has a lot of problems with large groups of youths behavung anti-socially, even chasing adults in broad daylight if facebook is to be believed. I have a feeling if that police station was at least properly open and fully staffed that wouldn't be happening.

The sad reality is in this area, crime is rife and there are probably 2 or 3 police officers on duty to cover quite a large area at night. The best bit is the truly braindead think this is Labour's fault.

That's pretty typical when you have a society with large wealth inequality. It's caustic on society and if self-perpeuating. I am always struck by the general level of uh "background criminality" or lack of trust in society that other people seem to casually tolerate and deal with.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Bacon Terrorist posted:

if facebook is to be believed
"Bobbies on the beat" empirically has effectively zero (margin of error stuff) impact on crime, and a massive impact on perceived crime, so I'm gonna go ahead & say that facebook is not to be believed

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Borrovan posted:

"Bobbies on the beat" empirically has effectively zero (margin of error stuff) impact on crime, and a massive impact on perceived crime, so I'm gonna go ahead & say that facebook is not to be believed

Oh I agree with that but this was more 'people on local facebook pages complaining about being chased by gangs of youths' rather than their terrible opinions. I would imagine just having police vehicles and police officers going in and out of that disused station would disperse them from the immediate area at least. I think most petty criminals are very aware the police don't respond to anything low level round here now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Perceived crime is real and it’s best to prevent it by keeping communities dynamic and priced correctly.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Idk if I've just been lucky in the places I've lived but honestly once I got out of my teens all of those groups of kids that used to be super threatening just stopped being scary, and I've found that they mostly just ignore me as long as I ignore them and I'm hardly a big tough looking guy. They can be loud and obnoxious but they don't feel like much of a threat to adults. It's obviously still shite that they are assholes to other kids but I think the stories about them literally chasing adults about are probably way overblown. I'm sure it happens but I doubt it's a common occurrence, feels very much like standard daily mail fodder tbh.

E: that said my uncle and a few of his friends were apparently set upon by a group of them on the metro and got beaten up pretty badly after they told them to shut up and threatened to call the police on them, but in that case they had been ignoring them beforehand until they escalated the situation, which seems unwise when you're outnumbered 3-1 in a carriage with a bunch of steaming idiots. I guess that's victim blaming and it's lovely, but, you know, I'd have probably just let it go unless someone was actually in danger.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 11, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

ThomasPaine posted:

Idk if I've just been lucky in the places I've lived but honestly once I got out of my teens all of those groups of kids that used to be super threatening just stopped being scary, and I've found that they mostly just ignore me as long as I ignore them and I'm hardly a big tough looking guy. They can be loud and obnoxious but they don't feel like much of a threat to adults. It's obviously still shite that they are assholes to other kids but I think the stories about them literally chasing adults about are probably way overblown. I'm sure it happens but I doubt it's a common occurrence, feels very much like standard daily mail fodder tbh.

E: that said my uncle and a few of his friends were apparently set upon by a group of them on the metro and got beaten up pretty badly after they told them to shut up and threatened to call the police on them, but in that case they had been ignoring them beforehand until they escalated the situation, which seems unwise when you're outnumbered 3-1 in a carriage with a bunch of steaming idiots. I guess that's victim blaming and it's lovely, but, you know, I'd have probably just let it go unless someone was actually in danger.

Went to reply before your edit. But yeah the problem is when you interact with them that they can become aggressive to us "normal adults". I was assaulted by a band of them when I intervened in them damaging cars on a terraced Street. Infact it's happened more than once, and this is in a relatively nice area.

The second time the police attended and to be honest walking up a ginnel with two of the police men I felt more at risk than during the altercation with the youths.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The general "perceived crime is going up" stuff is probably more about rising levels of inequality and the stripping of any funding for communities than actual street crime going up.

But the criminal court system is collapsing due to lack of money, and both sexual crimes and virtual crimes are fields where more resources could certainly help victims and do good - whether the police need to be involved with them is another matter.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Ah thanks for that. I've got some reservations about weed as with the impulse control from adhd i have been known to eat 5000+ calories of meat before.

I never got increased anxiety but gently caress me if my memory gets any worse...I went to bring my mum a bag of shopping to her car and brought her a sock instead!

I'm waiting on an appointment with my GP to talk about gabapentin, because I also have nerve issues, yay.

It feels harder to get an appointment than peak covid now though. This morning I got up and started calling at 7:59am using my auto dialler.
700 calls later I got through at 8:25am.
All appointments gone.
Can't book for the next day.
Call back tomorrow.
Sorry.
Nearly threw a teacup.

It'd be comical if it wasn't actually killing people. I'm just going to have to go private, which is what they loving want isnt it?

Entire work gets BUPA now via salary sacrifice, with corporate exclusion that ignores pre existing conditions.
Except a 1k a year cap on costs for chronic illness. Lol.

We're basically going to end up like the USA aren't we. Vet care is already there.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 11, 2022

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

re: booking for GP you might miss the same day appts, but I've found in the past that I could book for a couple of weeks ahead. It's not great, but better than playing telephone queing every morning.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Angrymog posted:

re: booking for GP you might miss the same day appts, but I've found in the past that I could book for a couple of weeks ahead. It's not great, but better than playing telephone queing every morning.

My GP is not taking any future bookings. Its that day only. They have been doing this for a while now.
Anything none emergency you have to phone up at 10am, and they are all gone by 10:05am.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yeah I've done that. Its just holy poo poo. Wait x weeks for this. No diagnosis. Referral to these guys. Silence for months. No diagnosis. Referral to this clinic. Silence for months. If you miss a single call or letter, back to the start.

Or pay £160 to speak to a neurologist via video call the same day and get an rx.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

His Divine Shadow posted:

I did a spittake on seeing that phrase actually. Used to be a goon who was famous for that phrase, as in mocked. GI Joe Dirtbag, got called out by another goon in helldump.

I have made a few choice spelling errors in my time.
But I remember on one other message board a person being mocked forum wise for spelling "evidently" as "ever dently".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

His Divine Shadow posted:

That's pretty typical when you have a society with large wealth inequality. It's caustic on society and if self-perpeuating. I am always struck by the general level of uh "background criminality" or lack of trust in society that other people seem to casually tolerate and deal with.

The problem is that we can't effectively steal from the rich - though I must stress that I'm not talking about actual "stick em up" crime here as much as enforced wealth redistribution - so the people who need to steal end up stealing the crumbs from each other. And the effects on those people are so much greater because no matter how much a rich person is carrying, they're never carrying everything. A poor person frequently is.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I have long thought that for anywhere large enough to have a couple hundred people living in it, there should be a 'community hub' of services that can be deployed locally or to make sure that people have access to these things within walking distance.

Services like a triage nurse / paramedic responder who can deal with a patient until an ambulance gets there, CAB advisor, social services, police (purely in the sense of 'my psycho ex is trying to break in and i need a guy with a stick here now' type protection), governmental services (i.e. signing on, registry, voting) and possibly some kind of fire service presence. Ideally renationalise the post office and have a sorting office counter in there as well. If someone needs a larger facility they have a fast-track to transport them there or contact them on their behalf.

A lot of these services are denied to smaller communities because it's too expensive to have seperate buildings for each, but if they shared a building and admin I don't see how it would be unafforable.

But then that's by design isn't it? The only government that would actually do something about this would be a government that gave a poo poo, so not Keir 'mom said it's my turn on the neoliberalism machine' Starmer and certainly not the Tories.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

The Question IRL posted:

I have made a few choice spelling errors in my time.
But I remember on one other message board a person being mocked forum wise for spelling "evidently" as "ever dently".

I've always had a soft spot for incredibly wrong but completely reasonable misspellings, such as "dire rear" or "rest bite".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Maugrim posted:

I've always had a soft spot for incredibly wrong but completely reasonable misspellings, such as "dire rear" or "rest bite".

Bone Apple Tea.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

A while ago there was discussion somewhere about perverbs and the one that always sticks in my head is "We'll burn that bridge when we come to it."

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A while ago there was discussion somewhere about perverbs and the one that always sticks in my head is "We'll burn that bridge when we come to it."

I say this a lot

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Once there was a very rich king. His most prized possession was his great golden crown which he valued above all else.

One day, he was visited by the Count of Dunberg. He held a feast in honor of the count, and after much merrymaking, they all went to their bedchambers.

The next day the king woke up to find that the count and the king's crown were both gone. The king sent out his soldiers to find and bring back the count so he could have his treasure back.

The count was found the next day and was brought before the king. He refused to say where the crown was, even upon threat of torture. The king, being very angry with the count, called the executioner. The count was made to lean over a wooden stump while the executioner sharpened his hatchet.

'I will give you one last chance to tell me where it is, count.' said the king.

'Never!' The count said, and spat at the king's feet.

The king motioned to the executioner and sat back to watch the show. The executioner raised his hatchet, holding it over the count's neck. The count was sweating buckets as the hatchet was slowly raised.

As the hatchet quickly fell, just before it connected, the count screamed 'WAIT I'LL TALK I'LL TALK!!!'. But it was to late. CHOP! the count's head rolled to the floor.

The king never found his greatest treasure. The kingdom fell apart, and its people learned a valuable lesson:

Don't hatchet your counts before they chicken.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Went for a stroll and ended up at Mudchute Farm, and there's lambs!

Unfortunately they and their parents weren't playing ball in terms of being photogenic, being much more interested in eating whatever those bushes on the other side of the fence were than looking all pretty and spring-like, apart from this one little dude:

who had found himself a little spot to chill in and wasn't moving for anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:3:

I went for a nice walk by the GCR at the weekend, but I did not see any of the woke racist steam trains so I'm beginning to think that Nigel Farage may have just been talking poo poo :aaa: