Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
He's also a former child soldier raised in the same fascist hellstate as Quigley, and from a caste that's forced into ghettos. Doesn't change how much he sucks and we should dislike him, but if we're going to absolve Quigley of his agency then we'd have to do the same for Lem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well I mean shouldn't we? Wasn't there that whole implication that Lem's mind was a bit short circuited by being next to Fitz-Helloie(sp) when the blood curse was levied?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

He's also a former child soldier raised in the same fascist hellstate as Quigley, and from a caste that's forced into ghettos. Doesn't change how much he sucks and we should dislike him, but if we're going to absolve Quigley of his agency then we'd have to do the same for Lem.

who said we're absolving him of his agency? it's just that we have what actually happened - that he's a weak, frightened little man who puts on an increasingly thick veneer of cynicism to cover up the fact that he basically destroyed his family out of naivete - and then what he (and you) want to believe - that he's a cackling bloodthirsty misogynist who totally intended to kill vienne all along and only hasn't killed his son because ???

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well I mean shouldn't we? Wasn't there that whole implication that Lem's mind was a bit short circuited by being next to Fitz-Helloie(sp) when the blood curse was levied?

lem's immune as a ssoud. what drove him over the edge was PTSD from the events leading up to the vampire raid and duane's own final, weak agreement that he'd "never lost a lad," which destroyed lem's faith in him (and thus the only moral pillar he had that didn't stem directly from the State)

duane, for his part, realized this as he was telling the story, and tripled down on his nationalistic fervor to ignore the fact that, as cope put it, he actually lost two lads that day

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 8, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I believe Quigley was afraid of what would happen if the government got wind of his village giving Uaid to the rebels, and so snitched on them before that happened in hopes that by doing so preemptively and making a case for Vienne they'd spare her life.

He never truly minded that Vienne wasn't a traditional Aldish wife (as he was content for her to do as she pleased if it made her happy - an arrangement that led to their marriage in the first place), but the cultural expectation that he should be the master of his house obviously exerted further pressure on him, as he couldn't avoid feeling responsible for not being able to keep her from carrying on with what he thought was a very dangerous idea.

To be clear, he was unhappy with his marriage, but the pain points were Uaid for obvious reasons and Matty, because he'd never had interest or desire to be a father and now he had another mouth to feed and also competition for Vienne's attention. A very lovely way for a father to feel and one that he shouldn't let influence his actions but also entirely ordinary feelings. With everything that happened afterwards he's ended up with even more complicated feelings towards Matty, and while he's obviously a lovely dad, assuming (as he's trying to present himself in these panels) that he only keeps him around because he's too much of a coward to off himself is very reductionist.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

it's just that we have what actually happened - that he's a weak, frightened little man who . . . basically destroyed his family out of naivete - and then what he (and you) want to believe - that he's a cackling bloodthirsty misogynist who totally intended to kill vienne all along and only hasn't killed his son because ???

You're clearly not reading my posts, so I'm not going to bother engaging after this.
1) I agree with you that he's making himself out to be the big bad villain when he's really just a pathetic, weak jerk.
2) I agree with you that he's nothing actually special, and that he tries to hide that behind this big show.
3) I agree with you that he turned in Vienne out of fear. I think we both would agree it's because he was scared.
4) I disagree with you that his fear for Vienne played a role in turning her in. He worked for the secret police. He knew precisely what happened to people like her. I believe he turned her in to save his own hide. Plus, when he lied to himself about what would actually happen to Vienne, that's pretty in keeping with his character as a bog standard rear end in a top hat.
5) I disagree with you that fear was his only reason for turning her in. Based upon the flashbacks, he was pressured by the misogynistic community around him to make Vienne "act proper", did not at all want Matty or to be a father, and felt that Matty stole Vienne's attention from him. I don't believe he turns in Vienne if it wasn't for his fear of being tortured and murdered himself, but I also believe he would not have turned in Vienne had it not been for his anger at Vienne.
6) I specifically stated that Matty represents the last thing of Vienne he has. Moreover, he can't make any sort of atonement to Vienne if he lets Matty die. Hence his fleeing to Cresce, and then trying to earn a bunch of money for Matty to live off of once he's gone.
7) I think you're overlooking all the other lovely things he's done during the story that makes him a villain nonetheless. This scene right here is him intentionally inflicting emotional abuse on his child because he's too weak to deal with reality.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 8, 2022

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Honestly this is a big part of what I like about Unsounded. It asks questions about agency and guilt and atonement, and then tests your commitment to the answers by throwing you characters who are mega assholes in unending variations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Quigley is, in fact, a terrible person. The catch is he'd rather have you believe this stems from him being hard and detached, rather than soft and weak. Given the choice between being hated and pitied, he'd rather be hated; the fact that he's both is what he hates, and that someone might pity him (rather than hate him) is what he fears. Pity leads to sympathy, which might lead to forgiveness, or even salvation. He doesn't want salvation. He doesn't think he deserves it. He's a self-loathing insect who acts the bastard, because its easier (for him) to exist as the latter than the former.

We do this a lot, in our own history. Evil men who did evil things are treated (at times) like comic book villains, because their actions are so obscene and loathsome that we find some comfort in sectioning them off from the rest of humanity. They're monsters. Demons. No regular person (like me) could ever do what they did. There's something fundamentally broken about them that we'd never fall victim to. Some of these same folks boast about how, if they'd been there, back in the day, they would've made a stand; they've have marched with the oppressed, sheltered the persecuted, put their lives on the line to do the right thing. But would they? Would they really? Some of them, yes; others, no. Myself, I don't know, and that bothers me a lot.

In an obscenely twisted way, Quigley probably thinks he's doing Matty a service right now. It's not that all people are bad, no, no, your dad's just uniquely dreadful, a singularly abhorrent piece of garbage human being. Believe that, so you can believe others are better; so you don't think the world is full of people like me.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Quigley is trying to be a flaming pile of garbage when he's more of a pitiable little garbage pile.

Honestly a lot of the characters in the comic are rather pitiable garbage piles.

Death is the Gods' Crime, more like Death is Trash Pickup Day.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If he really didn't give a poo poo he'd have never picked up Matty and never killed the guys who burnt the forge down. He wasn't expecting to live of course, but he also could've dumped Matty at any time or happily sold Uaid off to the Crescians and had a perfectly fine life after that. But he didn't.

He wants Matty to hate him probably from a mix of thinking he should be hated (self loathing) and also some perverse hope that if he sufficiently alienates Matty that he'll be alright when he inevitably dies in a few years and quickly move on (the first time he gets upset is when Starfish basically makes him think about what might happen to Matty after he's gone- a blind plat child in a world of human traffickers). There's a lot of people in the story whose biggest flaw is that they won't fully let go of anything. Quigley clearly hates Alderode and the whole system (not in the same way a Crescian would, but it's clear he resents it and the Gefendur) but he wouldn't join the March with Vienne, nor would he just shrug and just raise Matty after his countrymen did what they do to traitors. If he never cared about Matty or Vienne at all he again- wouldn't have done anything after turning Vienne in. People turn over traitors all the time- and he knew what would happen, he's just not willing to let go of whatever fondness he might've had for Vienne or Matty in the same way he wasn't willing to completely forswear Alderode when she was alive.

Duane has the same problem. He's kind of a moral coward in a lot of ways but he's still got a good heart- but he can't let go of Alderode and definitely not his own faith. Sette can't let go of her idea of being her father's child, so she won't just openly be the sweet kid she obviously could be and make friends normally or just tell Duane she wanted him to take her way, or trust anyone fully.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Tar_Squid posted:

Quigley is trying to be a flaming pile of garbage when he's more of a pitiable little garbage pile.

Honestly a lot of the characters in the comic are rather pitiable garbage piles.

Death is the Gods' Crime, more like Death is Trash Pickup Day.

Bastion put Duane in the recycling bin instead of the compost on purpose, thereby sealing his fate.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch16/ch16_154.html

I mean, that much is obvious Duane.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the prancing poo poo was all set for another sermon to joust with and duane just took all the joy out of it

no point to any of this if he can't even be the worst person in the room

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The best part is that Duane is saying it with remorse almost certainly from his expression

And that does absolutely nothing to soften bow completely this demolishes Quigley. Probably makes it more devastating tbh.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Actually laughed at how hard Quigs was destroyed just by Duane going :same:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Hit his weak point (conformity with the weirdo Ald nationalist) for massive damage!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Interesting how the lighting changes that page. I wonder what's outside.

(oh boy here we go)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ok, that generated a bit of pathos from me.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I do like how devastating it is to simply tell Quigs that he's not special or a unique villain, he's just exactly as complicit in the exact same evils as everyone else.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Nothing cuts like an Adelier.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

drat

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Nothing cuts like an Adelier.

Sette’s looking like she’d be happy to test that theory if Quigley hasn’t just collapsed in a pile of shame

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Duane giving Quigs the (verbal) hug he needed.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I dunno if that's much of a hug. It's kind of a comforting comment that is at the same time just even more damning as a result.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Besides the catharsis inherent in airing out his shame and frustration, Quigley was looking for condemnation to distract himself while reaffirming his self-loathing internal narrative of being a despicable piece of poo poo - after all, everything happened because he wasn't strong enough, because he wasn't good enough, because he is Mathis Quigley the forever outsider, fundamentally incapable of finding happiness anywhere as everything he touches inevitably turns to excrement.

But instead, the most self-righteous ponce for hundreds of miles around, a "man" who Quigley has at-best tolerated but largely and consistently antagonized since their first encounter, and who out of all present has the cultural context to truly understand just how much of a gently caress up Quigley is, went and showed him sincere empathy.

Instantly disarmed, Quigley collapses and clings to that glimmer of acceptance.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 11, 2022

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Besides the catharsis inherent in airing out his shame and frustration, Quigley was looking for condemnation to distract himself while reaffirming his self-loathing internal narrative of being a despicable piece of poo poo - after all, everything happened because he wasn't strong enough, because he wasn't good enough, because he is Mathis Quigley the forever outsider, fundamentally incapable of finding happiness anywhere as everything he touches inevitably turns to excrement.

But instead, the most self-righteous ponce for hundreds of miles around, a "man" who Quigley has at-best tolerated but largely and consistently antagonized since their first encounter, and who out of all present has the cultural context to truly understand just how much of a gently caress up Quigley is, went and showed him sincere empathy.

Instantly disarmed, Quigley collapses and clings to that glimmer of acceptance.

I mean quigley says on this page that the best feeling he’s ever had in his life was being accepted and understood as he sold out his wife. Duane, for all of Mathis’s mockery, is basically the ideal ald; good enough to be righteous, cowardly enough to be pliable. Quigley must have imagined him happy, and finally getting that understanding again along with seeing his own shame reflected in Duane cuts him deeply.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ashley just straight up saying the cast is getting trimmed back next chapter, lol. Man it's gonna be cruel probably.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

So Prakhuta knows they're coming and apparently was trying to stop them before they arrived.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Oh yeah…I forgot about what happened to Ana.. :sigh:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Fabricated posted:

Ashley just straight up saying the cast is getting trimmed back next chapter, lol. Man it's gonna be cruel probably.

The story is soon moving to Alderode and no way Toma/Elka or the Quigleys would follow, so we're very much in Anyone Can Die territory here.

That said, the Crescian conspiracies need resolution so unless Sonorie's plans come to an abrupt end there's still a role for Toma and/or Elka to play.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I remember at one point Minnow was supposed to join the cast, but I suppose that's been nixed. Shame. I enjoyed the idea of her.

I also recall her saying we'd meet Jivi's mom at some point, which might also have been dropped, but gives me hope he'll live. Anyone who's not Duane or Sette is probably dodging cross hairs though.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Is it me or has the index page image been updated? Uaid is gone but so is ## Elka ## :ohdear:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I think it was always like that? I could be misremembering. She's still on the main page but then so is Uaid.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Guess who's back?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Guess who's back?

me, before clicking: oh no

me, after clicking: ohhhhh NOOOOOOOOO

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Oxxidation posted:

me, before clicking: oh no

me, after clicking: ohhhhh NOOOOOOOOO

"I wonder what hosed up cliffhaAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

OH NO!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I was expecting Murkoph

Might've preferred it, too. :gonk:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Thank god for the landing page so that visitors to the site don't have to see that page immediately.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Has she said anything before about the next chapter wrapping up the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Has she said anything before about the next chapter wrapping up the story?

specifically it’s wrapping up the first book