Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

when is zendikar legal in standard 'til? have they said?

September when Dominaria United comes out

E: Zendikar, Strixhaven, Kaldheim and Forgotten Realms rotate out then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What in the world

Boy this is really funny with an Arcbound Ravager

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
"judge my opponent is being a pedant, please dq for unsportsmanlike conduct"
"but planeswalkers aren't creatures...IT MATTERS check the rules"

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

we're all god's creatures, each and every one of us :angel:

and by "god" I mean the one true god, Nicol Bolas

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I’ll never forget my goons

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Tulul posted:

Notably this (intentionally, presumably) has a ton of synergy with new Elspeth, who can put three counters on herself with her +1, giving herself one of flying/first strike/lifelink/vigilance and getting +4/+4 with every activation.

Also works well with Wandering Empress, who can +1 herself with this, giving her +3/+3 every time and first strike for the turn.

So as we learned from Sarkhan the Masterless, planeswalkers that have become creatures:

1. Can still activate loyalty abilities (we now have reminder text)
2. Do not lose loyalty counters when taking damage

Presumably it can also no longer be attacked while it's a creature - but since damage doesn't cause loyalty loss, I don't know why your opponent would care. And it would save some bad beats on Arena if you tried attacking in, but nothing happened.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What in the world

You can equip this to any Gideon after he self-animates to make him really big. It's also very strong with the Elspeth in this set as others have pointed out.

I'm really glad that this is a mythic because if you get both it and a planeswalker in limited your opponent is in for an rear end whoopin. But on the other hand if it's any good in standard/pioneer or even modern it's gonna be crazy expensive which sucks, because it's already gonna be in high demand for superfriends Commander decks.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
So what's the best planeswalker to give that sword to and then equip with Helm of the Host?

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

flatluigi posted:

hoottheowl is the sort of person who lights up when someone says something like 'lands don't have summoning sickness' in their vicinity

lol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Aranan posted:

So what's the best planeswalker to give that sword to and then equip with Helm of the Host?

God Pharaoh, Karn, Ugin.

EDIT: lmao my friend just pointed out to me that the sword is an infinite mana combo with Devoted Druid and it can be tutored for by both Urza's Saga and Stoneforge Mystic. This card is gonna be a billion dollars.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 11, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:holymoley:

I can't tell if this is really good or just complete dogshit. Probably both.

E:Another one too

Sorcery

Up to one target creature has base power and toughness 1/1 until end of turn, and up to one target creature has base power and toughness 4/4 until end of turn. Then deal 3 damage to each creature.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 11, 2022

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

The Shortest Path posted:

Sorcery

Up to one target creature has base power and toughness 1/1 until end of turn, and up to one target creature has base power and toughness 4/4 until end of turn. Then deal 3 damage to each creature.

would be very hard to not make this a 2 for 1 at worst. whats the card called?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

would be very hard to not make this a 2 for 1 at worst. whats the card called?

Hostile Takeover probably based on early translation

I don't think it's particularly amazing for the mana cost but it could definitely see standard play and it'll be very nice in limited.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hostile Takeover probably based on early translation

I don't think it's particularly amazing for the mana cost but it could definitely see standard play and it'll be very nice in limited.

Wait for "each creature" does it mean for the two targeted creatures or every creature?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

Wait for "each creature" does it mean for the two targeted creatures or every creature?

The whole board. So you're guaranteed to kill one thing and protect one thing and then the rest take 3.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

The whole board. So you're guaranteed to kill one thing and protect one thing and then the rest take 3.

..... Yeah for five mana and three colors that's poo poo

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Alright, hell yeah

https://twitter.com/bfcxkrazyak/status/1513394903346294785?s=21&t=MrL4HktxDNf3frwG9_aoPw

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Magic: The Gathering

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Having angels at common and uncommon kind of undermines what was already claimed about the setting. Perhaps. One might argue

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Having angels at common and uncommon kind of undermines what was already claimed about the setting. Perhaps. One might argue
According to mythic:

Shattered Seraphine
3WUB
Angel Rogue
When Shattered Seraphine enters the battlefield, gain 3 life.

2, exile Shattered Seraphine from your hand: Target land gains "T: Add W, U, or B" for as long as Shattered Seraphine remains in exile. You may cast Shattered Seraphine as long as it remains in exile.

Metropolitan Angel
2WU
Creature - Angel Soldier
Flying

Whenever you attack with one or more creatures with counters on them, draw a card.

"Power does not absolutely corrupt. Angels are the living proof."
- Elspeth Tirel

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

HootTheOwl posted:

According to mythic:

Shattered Seraphine
3WUB
Angel Rogue
When Shattered Seraphine enters the battlefield, gain 3 life.

2, exile Shattered Seraphine from your hand: Target land gains "T: Add W, U, or B" for as long as Shattered Seraphine remains in exile. You may cast Shattered Seraphine as long as it remains in exile.

weirdly enough this is wrong as it specifies until it is cast from exile.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Is casting from exile only possible as a result of the ability, or could I cast it later after exiling other ways?

TacoNight fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 11, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Tant qu'elle reste exilée is while it remains in exile so it makes me think if it's exiled/changes zones another way you couldn't because it's attached to the ability?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

if there was a "exiled this way" clause it would pretty cut and dry. as it stands we'll know for sure when the arena devs come out and say the game engine let you cast it (or didn't let you cast it) the way they intended, kind of like when alrund, god of the cosmos' ability was templated wrong and they only caught it during implementation

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

qine

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

It's one of those cases where I'm guessing it's gonna play well - just pop it under a land and you can cast it later - but unless the English translation is somehow dramatically different, the way it's actually worded is kinda wack. Which is a shame because as a design nerd I really dig the concept!

It is part of a cycle BTW. if it were just that card it'd be fuckin weird

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Neon Dynasty was cool and fun but this upcoming set looks like a stinker

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Neon Dynasty was cool and fun but this upcoming set looks like a stinker

Hey now, hey now, don't dream it's over.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

It’s nicely filling in the second quarter “weird, mostly bad set with a few fun commanders and a couple random bombs” slot.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Whoa, is this card statted enough to be worth the punisher effect?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I think this card is great.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
The fact that the downside still untaps it to play defense is interesting. It might be good

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

kalel posted:

if there was a "exiled this way" clause it would pretty cut and dry. as it stands we'll know for sure when the arena devs come out and say the game engine let you cast it (or didn't let you cast it) the way they intended, kind of like when alrund, god of the cosmos' ability was templated wrong and they only caught it during implementation

It looks pretty cut and dried to me? The permission to cast from exile is part of the ability that exiles it as a cost, so if you exiled it some other way you didn't activate the ability so you don't get to cast it from exile.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sickening posted:

I think this card is great.

Agreed

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Qwertycoatl posted:

It looks pretty cut and dried to me? The ability to cast from exile is part of the ability that exiles it as a cost, so if you exiled it some other way you didn't activate the ability so you don't get to cast it from exile.

the quirk i see is if the card is removed from exile some other way, does the land ability go away or not. this seems like an extremely unlikely corner case to ever matter

seems clear to me if the card is exiled in another way it doesn't gain the "can be cast from exile" ability

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Is there a good way to play magic on nothing but a smartphone per player, and without an internet connection? Going on a camping trip with a buddy who plays and I wouldn't mind being able to knock back a game or two. I was looking at the deck tester feature on MTG Unofficial, it gets close but there's no way to mark things as tapped or attached, and no way to add counters/tokens. Theoretically you could track all that on a piece of paper, but the system is getting a little unwieldly at that point.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
No

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
would be way easier to just proxy up a couple of decks instead, when I was a teenager going on Boy Scout trips I would do that all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

:holymoley:

Probably the latter? If that damage effect was symmetrical, or it made a Treasure token on ETB, or if it had haste I could see it having some utility at least.