Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Did they really get rid of being on horseback in there? Isn't that insane since he's on top of rot?

iirc the ground in that area doesn’t inflict status

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

Did you do the optional bosses as well? Nameless king is one of the hardest bosses they ever made in my memories.

And Sister Friede, and Gundyr 2.0

I actually have to go back and do Nameless King. I didn't figure out the Archdragon area while playing through (I tried not to use a guide), so I'll have to run through that later today.

Champion Gundyr went down in two attempts. Would have been one but he caught me with a charge attack when he did his form change. I would definitely argue a lot of required Elden Ring bosses were more difficult than the Gundyr fight.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

It was dumb of me to buy this on PC as I’m way below the minimum specs, but I wish it hadn’t worked for 40 hours and then just started randomly crashing

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

weirdly I barely remember the gundyr fight, I think I beat it pretty quickly. nameless king gets tons of hype as one of the hardest enemies but I don’t think it took me a ton of time either once I got lucky with the camera.

Sister friede on the other hand took me multiple days and is burned in my brain forever (I also found Maria harder than orphan of kos, idk what that says about me :pwn:)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sponges posted:

It was dumb of me to buy this on PC as I’m way below the minimum specs, but I wish it hadn’t worked for 40 hours and then just started randomly crashing

i'm also below minimum specs and i basically have to run elden ring alone (aside from maybe, like, having discord open) or else my probability of randomly crashing shoots up astronomically. web browsers especially seem to be a major pain point

if you have the SSD space, jack up your paging file to something like 30gb, as ER seems to eat a shitload of memory when it's running

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I don't know I would say that Elden Ring is harder than DS3 since they have added the spirit ashes.

Though if you are trying to avoid using both ashes and regular summons, and maybe also avoiding some of the more broken int/dex builds, I would absolutely say its a harder game.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I'm running ER on a weak-rear end PC and it's been mostly fine at the lowest settings but here's a pro-tip: for some reason anytime I start the game for the first time, a couple of the graphics settings always get pushed back to high and I have to push them back to low. So if you've been running on low settings and it suddenly gets bad for you, you might check the settings again and see if they got switched back to high.

Vermain posted:

i'm also below minimum specs and i basically have to run elden ring alone (aside from maybe, like, having discord open) or else my probability of randomly crashing shoots up astronomically. web browsers especially seem to be a major pain point

Yeah that's a factor for me too

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Kild posted:

Patches got to him.

I like this answer best

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

khwarezm posted:

I don't know I would say that Elden Ring is harder than DS3 since they have added the spirit ashes.

Though if you are trying to avoid using both ashes and regular summons, and maybe also avoiding some of the more broken int/dex builds, I would absolutely say its a harder game.

ER with no ashes/summons is definitely harder, later game stuff has more HP and does more damage.

However, since I have already soloed every duo or trio boss in the previous games, its justified and canon to use Mimic Tear to even the odds in Elden Ring.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

this is easily the worst dark souls game. boring setting. boring bosses. even the generic nameless horseman boss with golden armor has epic endgame music. everyone has an epic 2nd form and a new set of even lamer moves. convoluted boring story. it's like a parody of a dark souls game. gonna go replay sekiro. thanks for listening.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

In spite of thinking cloud form wouldn’t work on fast, aggressive bosses, Dragon King’s Cragblade served me well against Malekith. It tracked his crazy flips, let me poise through mistakes and did crazy high damage. Of course, I also got obliterated by his anime bullshit multiple times, but fights where I used the skill went better than fights where I didn’t.

Then I got the spell you can trade for his remembrance and it seems like the incantation I’ve been waiting for the whole game. I just wish I had a little more to actually use it on.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Gripper posted:

From a few pages back and after a bunch of people said 'invading people who don't want to be invaded is the best', but those kind of invasions completely turned the person I was playing with off co-op entirely in Elden Ring very early on.

if someone sees invasions and goes "oh, this game isn't for me" that makes them smarter than the people who whine about invasions. it's a good outcome for them and for the health of the game. if only everyone were as self-aware and free of entitlement!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Invasions question: I have never been invaded (other than NPC invasions) in about 55 hours of gameplay. Is this because I'm still a baby at level 56-ish or is it because I have not used multiplayer whatsoever other than that I am online and see messages, etc?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Why do some friendly people invade and then ask to be backstabbed? I mean its nice of them but im curious

Edit: pretty sure you cant be invaded if you are solo playing but i could be wrong (except for npc invasions which are story stuff)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Invasions question: I have never been invaded (other than NPC invasions) in about 55 hours of gameplay. Is this because I'm still a baby at level 56-ish or is it because I have not used multiplayer whatsoever other than that I am online and see messages, etc?

you literally can't be invaded solo unless you use the dried finger equivalent (Taunter's Tongue). so do that or grab some co-op buddies

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

you can only be invaded if you have summoned another player for coop assistance, or if you use the taunter's tongue item (which you can acquire by jumping off the balcony in roundtable and beating a short encounter)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
DS3 embering you after a boss fight is pretty genius, you think 'hey cool, free health!' and it can be seen as part of the reward for the fight, but it leaves the door open for you to have to handle an invader, especially since you're usually pressing forward into an area where you haven't killed the next boss, but with it being unlikely you'll find that boss for quite a while.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like the idea of being invaded by a player once in a blue moon as a total surprise. It never happened in 120+ hours but I'm not sure if it can since I never opened myself up to coop summons?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

kanonvandekempen posted:

Did you do the optional bosses as well? Nameless king is one of the hardest bosses they ever made in my memories.

And Sister Friede, and Gundyr 2.0

ds3 is what happens when they make too many fair bosses imo, if you've dodgerolled a lot in the previous games you slice through ds3 like a hot knife through butter once you've learned what the game is asking of you. even nameless king and gundyr aren't too bad, you don't ever really need vary up the rhythm of dodging and stabbing and waiting for stamina.

whereas elden ring varies up that rhythm significantly, up to and including putting a ton of really hosed up attacks that you really have to see coming and know what to do, and then mixing the patterns and combos of these attacks up to keep you on your toes. it's not perfect obv but i found it a lot more compelling than ds3, particularly with the bosses where they feel like they are just shy of being too much, like mogh and radagon.

i mean ER is easy too if you use all the stuff that makes it easy but personally i much prefer this way of balancing the difficulty, warts and all.

friede is an unfair boss, which is why it's the best one in ds3. it's also just so drat cool. we have no need of thy flail, father, i'm gonna dumpster this dumbass unkindled.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 11, 2022

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

The latter, you need to have a co-op partner or be using the 'please invade me' item to be invaded

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

khwarezm posted:

DS3 embering you after a boss fight is pretty genius, you think 'hey cool, free health!' and it can be seen as part of the reward for the fight, but it leaves the door open for you to have to handle an invader, especially since you're usually pressing forward into an area where you haven't killed the next boss.

thats why you just kill yourself ASAP, same way the nexus in DeS is just a neverending cavalcade of people jumping to their deaths

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

thats why you just kill yourself ASAP, same way the nexus in DeS is just a neverending cavalcade of people jumping to their deaths

Killing yourself while embered to avoid the possibility of dying to an invader has real 'You can't fire me, I quit!' energy tbh.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Killing yourself while embered to avoid the possibility of dying to an invader has real 'You can't fire me, I quit!' energy tbh.

it's kind of bad in the sense that if it's possible to opt out at all then it shouldn't be so convoluted, but it's also hysterically funny that that's how it works so in the end it's probably good on balance

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

khwarezm posted:

don't care, pvp has never interested me in these games. i don't bitch about it, i just avoid the mechanic

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

khwarezm posted:

It minimizes the risk of losing souls and lets you avoid the nightmarish broken dogshit that is Fromsoft netcode.

I still never figured out how someone teleport stabbed me into a section of map I hadn't been to yet *while on console*

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the true alpha gamer move is to remain embered and then never be invaded anyways, because my steam account was one of the cursed ones that was largely unable to interface with DS3's matchmaking for some reason and this was never fixed by fromsoft while i was playing it

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's kind of bad in the sense that if it's possible to opt out at all then it shouldn't be so convoluted, but it's also hysterically funny that that's how it works so in the end it's probably good on balance

I just think its good the way that the game gives you a fairly significant boost balanced by the possibility that an invader might show up. I know it can pretty humiliating to die to an invader but nowadays I prefer to treat them as just another one of the many threats you'll have to deal with in a Dark Souls game and not give too much thought, like those drat dogs will sooner drive me to kill myself.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Just dicking around in NG+ and the beast seal +9 with gurranq boulder is no loving joke.

You can spam it and it has a left hand-right hand-left hand combo and does insane damage against some enemies.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The Anime Liker posted:

Just dicking around in NG+ and the beast seal +9 with gurranq boulder is no loving joke.

You can spam it and it has a left hand-right hand-left hand combo and does insane damage against some enemies.

If you 2-hand the seal it gets benefits from 50% more strength like any other weapon.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if someone sees invasions and goes "oh, this game isn't for me" that makes them smarter than the people who whine about invasions. it's a good outcome for them and for the health of the game. if only everyone were as self-aware and free of entitlement!

Note, they didn't say they stopped playing the game, they stopped using co-op, which they wanted to enjoy with another person whilst playing a video game. Sounds like you feel entitled to dictate how other people enjoy the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Meanwhile I want nothing more than a toggle that says just let them invade me whenever I don't care and the game won't give it to me so I never got invaded a single time.

dumby
Oct 25, 2007
Leyndell capital is amazing, what a great level.

what's up with all the M names, by the way? Melina Malanea Maliketh millicent malarkey

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Regy Rusty posted:

Meanwhile I want nothing more than a toggle that says just let them invade me whenever I don't care and the game won't give it to me so I never got invaded a single time.

The Taunter's Tongue that does this can be found in the Roundtable Hold. Take the plunge you won't die

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

dumby posted:

what's up with all the M names, by the way? Melina Malanea Maliketh millicent malarkey

They're a little more inventive than our historical nobility in, say, Europe.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

dumby posted:

Godfrey Godwyn Godrick
Renalla Radagon
Rykard Radahn Ranni
Marika Margott Malenia Miquella Mohg

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

They're a little more inventive than our historical nobility in, say, Europe.

The story of a country endlessly hosed by some guy named Richard.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Vermain posted:

you can only be invaded if you have summoned another player for coop assistance, or if you use the taunter's tongue item (which you can acquire by jumping off the balcony in roundtable and beating a short encounter)

Ah, yeah, never activated that item cause if invasions already can be hard 1v1 didn’t seem like a good time.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

dumby posted:

G R R M

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

The Taunter's Tongue that does this can be found in the Roundtable Hold. Take the plunge you won't die

No no I know about the tongue but it's just annoying enough to use that it doesn't serve my purpose. Having to remember to use two items, one of them consumable, every time I died or warped just resulted in me forgetting most of the time and still not getting invaded even when I remember. A toggle I could just turn on and forget about the whole game is what I want.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

There's one of those sword graveyards with the inscriptions that I literally just ran into while traveling to get the Meteorite staff that reads

"The Battle of Aeonia
Radahn and Malenia locked in stalemate
Then, the scarlet rot blooms"

which sort of implies that her first blooming was in the swamp of Aeonia.

Yeah, my understanding of this is that the giant plant structure on the swamp is what the flower grows in to after a long period

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The idea that getting trounced by a twinked out invader on the regular is so core to the fromsoft game experience that it's better to never play any of them at all if they want to opt out is certainly a take.