Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

besides smoke weed ofc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Communist Thoughts posted:

whats so stupid about the carbon capture plant?

Entropy

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm deeply offended on a cosmic level by the concept of boxing up a small area, heating it up from freezing, and then cooling it back down to freezing in a smaller area. Just seems like such a waste.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm deeply offended on a cosmic level by the concept of boxing up a small area, heating it up from freezing, and then cooling it back down to freezing in a smaller area. Just seems like such a waste.

run a space heater inside a freezer inside a hot house during a blizzard. call it an entropy nesting doll.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 12 days!)

kater posted:

how much micro plastics to trees eat
they absorb microplastics and other pollutants, which mostly show up in their foliage and other green bits. once a tree is fully grown nothing eats its mature leaves much (bugs and birds prefer the fresh shoots), so at least the particles just stay there until the leaf falls off. then they're back in the soil. i am sure there's some denaturing and weathering that occurs from the leaf's processes working on the phthalates or whatever the hell is going on, not enough to totally remove the harm but something would happen. nobody has studied how microplastics get recycled through the trophic network or what happens to them over time, we only know enough to know they're there and they're causing problems. bioremediation is going to be a big field in about 5 years, with mostly disastrous results

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

silicone thrills posted:

Well I did it for the first time last year and the babies still seem to be thriving. About 1.5ft tall. I might end up moving then again later when it's big enough to be a proper guerilla planting and survive.

Probably next to a golf course.
:neckbeard: ecoterrorism!! you are a visionary. golf must go.

quote:

I bought some corylus cornuta last year which is native to my area but I've never seen it before. They're thriving. Going to be a visual break between mine and my neighbors house when they get bigger.

Once they start putting out some nuts I'll be guerilla planting them all over lol. And I'm sure the squirrels will too
:3: you are doing amazing work. bless you

the good thing about the bolded bit is that you'll never be legally culpable, no matter where the trees spring up you can blame it on the squirrels.

e: according to wikipedia, by reintroducing this plant to the area you have singlehandedly assisted the local squirrels, the chipmunks, the voles, the deer and moose, the beavers, the bears, the jays, the turkeys, and the ruffed grouse.

mahershalalhashbaz has issued a correction as of 01:32 on Apr 11, 2022

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

they absorb microplastics and other pollutants, which mostly show up in their foliage and other green bits. once a tree is fully grown nothing eats its mature leaves much (bugs and birds prefer the fresh shoots), so at least the particles just stay there until the leaf falls off. then they're back in the soil. i am sure there's some denaturing and weathering that occurs from the leaf's processes working on the phthalates or whatever the hell is going on, not enough to totally remove the harm but something would happen. nobody has studied how microplastics get recycled through the trophic network or what happens to them over time, we only know enough to know they're there and they're causing problems. bioremediation is going to be a big field in about 5 years, with mostly disastrous results

Speaking of pollution remediation - Have you seen the paul stamets work with osyter mushrooms and crude oil contaminated substrate?

https://paulstamets.com/mycorestoration/the-petroleum-problem

Super curious to see this get repeated/tested/etc with microplastics.

Paul asks it himself - do the oyster mushrooms fully break down the oil?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
This is all the poo poo that helps me really deal with my depression btw - clinical and climate change induced. There's so much poo poo you can do in your local area that doesn't involve worrying about what some dipshit moron loving politicians are doing. Find plants that are local to your area to plant and feed the local wildlife. Reintroduce plants that have been killed off because dumb rear end land developers didn't want to replant them and once they are bigger you can spread them far and wide for free or you could make money selling shoots and poo poo on etsy. Whatever. Or just give them to goons. I got my fig tree from a goon :D

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

even if we were to stop all carbon emission now, right now, we would still be locked in for a whole lot of global warming due to all the carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases already released into the world

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

silicone thrills posted:

This is all the poo poo that helps me really deal with my depression btw - clinical and climate change induced. There's so much poo poo you can do in your local area that doesn't involve worrying about what some dipshit moron loving politicians are doing. Find plants that are local to your area to plant and feed the local wildlife. Reintroduce plants that have been killed off because dumb rear end land developers didn't want to replant them and once they are bigger you can spread them far and wide for free or you could make money selling shoots and poo poo on etsy. Whatever. Or just give them to goons. I got my fig tree from a goon :D

my issue is that you can only plant certain things in certain seasons and it gets annoying to keep track of

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

when a petroleum product is combined with oxygen and a little bit of heat, a whole bunch of energy is released as is a whole bunch of carbon dioxide. getting the carbon dioxide back means spending a whole bunch of energy. carbon capture is literally a PR scam to calm the masses down, distract real climate change proposals, and kick the can down the road.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

silicone thrills posted:

Speaking of pollution remediation - Have you seen the paul stamets work with osyter mushrooms and crude oil contaminated substrate?

https://paulstamets.com/mycorestoration/the-petroleum-problem

Super curious to see this get repeated/tested/etc with microplastics.

Paul asks it himself - do the oyster mushrooms fully break down the oil?
i hadn't! thanks so much - i'm an absolute beginner with the chemistry side of it, all i really know how to do is grow trees. and fungi is a whole other part of the system that i don't understand at all yet.

silicone thrills posted:

it really does help my mental state too. it's a great way to break through the sense of paralysis and make a noticeable impact on your local corner of the world. and the fact that it takes years is a good thing imo, it gives me space to occasionally get depressed and give up on everything for a few weeks but the trees are still there, in the ground, still growing when i get back. nowadays everybody is saying "consider yourself from the perspective of time! live in the moment!" but nobody understands how to do that. forcing yourself to live at the pace of a tree for a few minutes a day is one good way to reposition, and then when you plant you're bringing the future and the present together.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

bedpan posted:

when a petroleum product is combined with oxygen and a little bit of heat, a whole bunch of energy is released as is a whole bunch of carbon dioxide. getting the carbon dioxide back means spending a whole bunch of energy. carbon capture is literally a PR scam to calm the masses down, distract real climate change proposals, and kick the can down the road.

Carbon capture is dumb for all kinds of reasons, but thermodynamically, the energy needed to capture CO2 emissions is A.) unrelated to the energy released by oxidizing the hydrocarbons and B.) not necessarily large, at least on fundamental grounds.

Even in the (maximally stupid) case of direct air carbon capture, where you are attempting to separate out CO2 after it's been diluted into the ambient atmosphere, the fundamental thermodynamic energy required to do so is related to the free energy of mixing, which is small.

I bring this up because, arguing from simple thermodynamic grounds, it is easy to make a "good" argument for carbon capture, and its advocates do exactly this. This masks the (very big) actual problems with carbon capture such as:

-Energy requirements being often much higher than the simple thermodynamic limit, due to practical and engineering considerations

-The impossibility of implementing direct air capture at the necessary scale within the needed time

-Carbon capture "at the source" being impossible for transportation, and impractical for residential heating together which account for ~half of all use

-Engineering and geological limitations to sequestration, and the consequences of failure

-Costs as compared to alternatives like wind, solar, nuclear

-The implicit continuance of fossil fuel subsidies to make any such scheme workable

-The inherent problems arising from continued extraction and exploitation of fossil fuels, even if some of the carbon is neutralized

-That the entire scheme is often put forward in bad faith as a fig leaf over a "do nothing" strategy

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Carbon deserves freedom

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I like to imagine society’s oil consumption as the actions of a predator on a food chain.

and then retch cuz like eating eggs freaks me out sometimes much less the condensed biomass of existence.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol the D&D thread gets hype for weird modding so I checked and I see they're having a discussion about market forces which have always externalized ecosystem cost maybe, possibly not doing that lol. people go 'bwahhhh capitalism' but really don't understand how capitalist principles being universalized will always undermine any effort.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

thank you for this much better breakdown of why the entire process is garbage!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Morbus posted:

-Engineering and geological limitations to sequestration, and the consequences of failure
this is the big one for me: even if you could pull several tons of carbon out of the atmosphere per day (which wouldn't even register as a dent in emissions against the 30+ billion tons of CO2 dumped into the atmosphere yearly lmao), where do you put it?

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

FFT posted:

this is the big one for me: even if you could pull several tons of carbon out of the atmosphere per day (which wouldn't even register as a dent in emissions against the 30+ billion tons of CO2 dumped into the atmosphere yearly lmao), where do you put it?

Local mom's rear end, obviously

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

FFT posted:

Into several trillion trees (and then the ground, as soil amendment) because reforestation is the only direct capture technology that makes any drat sense

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Marenghi posted:

If carbon capture worked so well, why did none of those clean coal power plants succeed?

That seemed like a perfect use of carbon capture technology, capture the emissions as they are produced by a dirty power plant. I know they tried carbon capture but we can see they didn't succeed by the fact clean coal is no longer talked about

I used to design amine based carbon capture units for a living. Flue gas capture is tricky because it's at low pressure; capturing 95% of the CO2 from the flue gas will consume about 30% of the power plants energy production.

However, compared to atmospheric carbon capture, flue gas capture is a loving walk in the park.

It's another way to think about how dumb direct air capture is. If we can't even get capturing CO2 from our power plants to work under capitalism, how the gently caress are we going to get DAC to work when you're dealing with orders of magnitude lower CO2 partial pressure (which directly correlates to ease/difficulty of capture)?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

IAMKOREA posted:

I used to design amine based carbon capture units for a living.

Read this as anime

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Read this as anime

the anime based carbon capture units take a long time to power up but when they do hoo boy get outta the splash zone

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
100000000 year old earth with a 14 year old carbon foot print.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
when the earth was 14 wasn't it a molten hellscape

adds up, plus all the ufos think we're pervs for doing this

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Morbus posted:

Carbon capture is dumb for all kinds of reasons, but thermodynamically, the energy needed to capture CO2 emissions is A.) unrelated to the energy released by oxidizing the hydrocarbons and B.) not necessarily large, at least on fundamental grounds.

Even in the (maximally stupid) case of direct air carbon capture, where you are attempting to separate out CO2 after it's been diluted into the ambient atmosphere, the fundamental thermodynamic energy required to do so is related to the free energy of mixing, which is small.

I bring this up because, arguing from simple thermodynamic grounds, it is easy to make a "good" argument for carbon capture, and its advocates do exactly this. This masks the (very big) actual problems with carbon capture such as:

-Energy requirements being often much higher than the simple thermodynamic limit, due to practical and engineering considerations

-The impossibility of implementing direct air capture at the necessary scale within the needed time

-Carbon capture "at the source" being impossible for transportation, and impractical for residential heating together which account for ~half of all use

-Costs as compared to alternatives like wind, solar, nuclear

-The implicit continuance of fossil fuel subsidies to make any such scheme workable

-The inherent problems arising from continued extraction and exploitation of fossil fuels, even if some of the carbon is neutralized

-That the entire scheme is often put forward in bad faith as a fig leaf over a "do nothing" strategy

This is a bit hard to believe, not that I don't believe you, it just seems very unintuitive to me but I've always been involved in engineering actual carbon capture projects so I suppose mentally I just take real world constraints as a given. Do you happen to have any links or papers showing what you mentioned re: the thermodynamics?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
When atmospheric carbon hits a million ppm, carbon capture will be easy. Just open a box and then close it again and pop it in a ditch

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Homeless Friend posted:

lol the D&D thread gets hype for weird modding so I checked and I see they're having a discussion about market forces which have always externalized ecosystem cost maybe, possibly not doing that lol. people go 'bwahhhh capitalism' but really don't understand how capitalist principles being universalized will always undermine any effort.

thanks for the update

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

that magazine seems to own

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

thank god we made the plastic, that oil was gunning it for the atmosphere when it was buried under the ground

haakman
May 5, 2011
Just FYI those letters are from Viz, which is like a bawdy version of the Onion in the UK. None of them are serious (I hope).

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

this was the song that broke my brain and make me start viewing every individually wrapped snack package as oil.

millions of years of heat and pressure, creating a fluid that's a super-dense form of pure energy, pumped out of the ground in less than 20% of a millennium so that our gummy snacks would remain fresh and chewy and not get all dried out or stick together.

thanks josh tillman i really appreciate not being able to view anything in these terms anymore, seeing the entire world as the stupidest waste of energy that will ever be

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb860qZ40H4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IJPB9LMNB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smakRBOcVKc

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I don't know if this was posted in the thread, but it was an interesting video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX2aZUav-54

basically, the natural gas industry realized that the only thing that people even vaguely liked about natural gas was gas stoves, so they have a whole push to promote gas stoves to ensure that the gas infrastructure gets built into new buildings and lets people use natural gas heating/water heaters

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

xposting from succ zone

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

God Hole posted:

xposting from succ zone

"surely you would agree that only dumb babies care about the environment?"

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

God Hole posted:

xposting from succ zone

I am so tired

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

this was the song that broke my brain and make me start viewing every individually wrapped snack package as oil.

millions of years of heat and pressure, creating a fluid that's a super-dense form of pure energy, pumped out of the ground in less than 20% of a millennium so that our gummy snacks would remain fresh and chewy and not get all dried out or stick together.

thanks josh tillman i really appreciate not being able to view anything in these terms anymore, seeing the entire world as the stupidest waste of energy that will ever be

now that’s what I call pure comedy 🎭

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

IAMKOREA posted:

This is a bit hard to believe, not that I don't believe you, it just seems very unintuitive to me but I've always been involved in engineering actual carbon capture projects so I suppose mentally I just take real world constraints as a given. Do you happen to have any links or papers showing what you mentioned re: the thermodynamics?

Yeah, here is one for example: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0360544212006901?via%3Dihub

Like I said, very fundamental thermodynamic argument are often put forth in advocacy of direct air capture or similar projects...because from a very basic thermodynamic standpoint there isn't necessarily anything wrong with it--the problems (as with many or most things) are more complicated.

At the end of the day, the problem amounts to taking one mixture of gases, (mostly N2 and O2, some Ar and H2O, and ~0.4% CO2), and ending up with two gases--one CO2, and the other a mixture of everything that remains. Or more generally, the end state is two mixtures, one enriched in CO2 and one depleted in CO2. Since there are no significant chemical reactions going on between the various constituents, the change in starting energy and final energy arise purely from entropic terms, which for dilute mixtures will scale something like RT ln (P) where P is the partial pressure ratio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_of_mixing

The energy released from, say, CH4 + O2 -> 2H2O + CO2, has nothing to do with the energy of de-mixing CO2 + N2.

This is all kind of interesting when thinking about the theoretical barriers to DACC, but the real problems have practically nothing to do with the thermodynamic cycle efficiency and a lot to do with...everything else.

Morbus has issued a correction as of 18:38 on Apr 11, 2022