Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

tokin opposition posted:

Asking my professional development teacher how to put posting online since 2003 on my resume

You laugh, but I recently got a resume that listed running a Discord server for 20+ people and streaming on Twitch to 30+ concurrent viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

You laugh, but I recently got a resume that listed running a Discord server for 20+ people and streaming on Twitch to 30+ concurrent viewers.
Meeting facilitation

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

he got the memo on quantifiable metrics at least

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

best one i ever got was an "Independent Online Model" :thunk:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah, that's how latitude works.

lol

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Business Gorillas posted:

best one i ever got was an "Independent Online Model" :thunk:

"hey legal, is googling an applicants OF profile a GDPR issue if they allude to it in their application?"

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I still have the best (worst) resume I've ever been handedin hospitality, it was laminated and handed to me by a guy i recognised from when he used to wander around nightclubs doing close up magic and reading tarot to people for tips

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I still have the best (worst) resume I've ever been handedin hospitality, it was laminated and handed to me by a guy i recognised from when he used to wander around nightclubs doing close up magic and reading tarot to people for tips

he does look like a guy that would walk around nightclubs doing magic tricks and tarot card readings

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I’m sorry that owns and I respect it

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

one of the greatest resumes i've ever seen.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Centrist Committee posted:

I’m sorry that owns and I respect it

It could have said anything and it would have been more valuable than 90% of the resumes I see simply by way of being laminated tbh

I think there is such a different set of rules when it comes to hospitality resumes. I've been in the biz for 15 years and never had trouble finding work despite my resume saying I was 'an Aquarius (natural bartender)' and having phrases like 'poo poo chat' in my skills section

Jezza of OZPOS has issued a correction as of 09:39 on Apr 11, 2022

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

if you show up and aren't on too many drugs that's the bar for like 90% of jobs

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
When I interned at a engineering company they had me pre-sorting resumes. Just told me to make 2 piles one normal and one to be discarded. I naively thought they'd all be normal, but the amount of weird design choices people made.

One resume was framed by some artwork, some kind of Egyptian or Babylonian angel type creature done in an emo style, with their wings reaching across the top border and touching tips, and the creatures themselves making up the left and right border. That was the most egregious but there were plenty with floral or tribal frames.

Another used the entire rainbow for font colours.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
That dude is a walking liability

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

It could have said anything and it would have been more valuable than 90% of the resumes I see simply by way of being laminated tbh

Submit your resume in a format that can't be fed into a scanner so they can't just run it through the resume keyword machine

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Eight-Six posted:

if you show up and aren't on too many drugs that's the bar for like 90% of jobs

I only give the thumbs up to people who come to the interviews on the correct type and amount of drugs

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Shame Boy posted:

I only give the thumbs up to people who come to the interviews on with the correct type and amount of drugs

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

True enough. You wouldn't want someone coming into work with their judgement and inhibitions all hosed up by alcohol.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Facebook Aunt posted:

True enough. You wouldn't want someone coming into work with their judgement and inhibitions all hosed up by alcohol.

Feeling attacked by this post

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

Submit your resume in a format that can't be fed into a scanner so they can't just run it through the resume keyword machine

Immediately binned

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Failed Imagineer posted:

Immediately binned

i would give that a guy at least a phone interview on the spot

then again maybe there's a reason no one will ever put me in charge of hiring where i work

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Lol if you don't schedule an interview with this guy just to talk to him

I've done this before and actually gotten solid people out of it

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

“Do you like crazy!? Well we’ve got plenty of it! And we leave patients untreated except for locking em up so everything gets much worse!! The American Prison System; find your home today!”

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ikanreed posted:

Sometimes unironically, though. It depends. You've got to be pretty good with people to guess which ones respect pedantry

I had an interview once where they made fill out a quiz, half of which were multiple choice questions. One of the answer sets had no correct answer, but you could see where they'd hosed up their calculations.

Instead of doing any of the questionnaire, I filled every blank space on the sheets with the correct calculations and pointed out how and where they'd gone wrong. Normally, I'd never do something so blatantly pedantic in an interview, but the fuckers wanted me to do multiple loving choice basic maths for a job they were trying to poach me for.

poo poo was loving insulting and embarrassing.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

then what, you left?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Business Gorillas posted:

Lol if you don't schedule an interview with this guy just to talk to him

I've done this before and actually gotten solid people out of it
you could talk about undertale, I recognize that text box format

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I had an interview once where they made fill out a quiz, half of which were multiple choice questions. One of the answer sets had no correct answer, but you could see where they'd hosed up their calculations.

Instead of doing any of the questionnaire, I filled every blank space on the sheets with the correct calculations and pointed out how and where they'd gone wrong. Normally, I'd never do something so blatantly pedantic in an interview, but the fuckers wanted me to do multiple loving choice basic maths for a job they were trying to poach me for.

Not quite the same thing, but when I applied to work at Office Depot years ago, they had me fill out a personality quiz thing on a computer. One of the questions was something like, 'Do you consider yourself to be a leader?'. I answered honestly: no, I'm more of the kind of guy who prefers to work in the background.

I didn't get the job; probably just as well if they had bullshit busy work like that. It's really frustrating that they're more interested in your ability to tell them what they want to hear than an actual assessment of who you are and what kind of worker you'll be. What's even the point (I know the answer: good little worker bees that don't ask questions)?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Shear Modulus posted:

I assumed they meant they locked up everyone with a mental illness

Technically the cops wait for them to do something illegal before locking up the mentally ill. In practice it's mostly a matter of how long it takes

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
you don't have to be mentally ill to be locked up in here but it helps you will be

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Megillah Gorilla posted:

the hiring process exists so everyone can democrats.txt the blame of a failed hire (which gonna happen more or less anyway)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

i am harry posted:

then what, you left?

Pretty much. We'd already done the interview bit, so it was "Fill this in, you have 30 minutes, then we'll call you." *

Wish I could say I had some pithy remark for the HR people, but I just had to put in on their secretary's desk and she gave absolutely no fucks.

* They did not call me.

Megillah Gorilla has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Apr 11, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

I had a guy who worked as a recruiter for Capital One tell me to put stuff in the margins for resumes because the auto parser flags these resumes and they need to look at them manually.

This was years ago, and i'm sure that the software they use to do that has gotten slightly better but it's probably worth a shot.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you can put a "text box" that is shrunk down too small to render and paste in a shitload of keywords that make the computer happy

augias
Apr 7, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

you can put a "text box" that is shrunk down too small to render and paste in a shitload of keywords that make the computer happy

How do u do this in LaTeX markdown real answers onyl please

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

Also white text on a white background

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

I did interviews several months ago, and as part of the anonymization process, they took the resumes and converted them to basic text.

If someone had done that, those text boxes would have been a large bank of random words that just appeared as if it were in the regular body of the resume.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

none of that stuff works lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ham Equity posted:

I did interviews several months ago, and as part of the anonymization process, they took the resumes and converted them to basic text.

If someone had done that, those text boxes would have been a large bank of random words that just appeared as if it were in the regular body of the resume.

Can't win em all. Looking for work is universally hell

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
wasn't there some study done that people who played lacrosse where like 10x more likely to be hired due to a fault in the "ai" program?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

If you unfurl an admiralty flag as you enter the interview room you're legally entitled to any job in the company.