Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Halsey being a self murdering psycho war criminal being allowed to do war crimes and kidnap kids plays a lot better when the UNSC is literally on the losing end of a war against an unbeatable alien force and they need literally ANYTHING to hang out. Show is not doing a very good job selling the covenant threat and why it’s allowed people like Hasley to just get away with poo poo.

Did Kwan ever touch the relic in the pelican? I’m curious if that’s the hook they’ll use to keep her around. Have her also be attuned to forerunner tech or maybe just attuned to the other half.

In a way that's kind of the point. The USNC have always been absolutely horrid garbage rear end in a top hat fascists long before the Covenant showed up. They never needed the excuse of an alien invasion, the prospect of warcriming separatists was plenty enough for them.

But yeah, gotta say I kind of like what they're doing with Cortana. Still not too hot on the visual design they went with (although it's miles better than Halo 4's), but so far her banter with John works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Halsey being a self murdering psycho war criminal being allowed to do war crimes and kidnap kids plays a lot better when the UNSC is literally on the losing end of a war against an unbeatable alien force and they need literally ANYTHING to hang out. Show is not doing a very good job selling the covenant threat and why it’s allowed people like Hasley to just get away with poo poo.

That's the thing though. In the prime timeline the UNSC did let Halsey get away with it and then when the Covenant showed up they used it to justify human atrocities after the fact.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

It seems like the tv show wants the war with the Covenant to be a slow burn

Ok but how many episodes is this show going to make us wait before we see Master Chief punch a Grunt?

I mean, I'm enjoying it so far but It's kind of what mad that we got to see a Hunter organism outside of their armored trenchcoat before even a single Grunt.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know it's almost exactly how it works in the game, I know that it makes sense in the context of the show and the scenes in which it appears. But I can't shake the feeling that this week's episode featured about 15 minutes of promotional placement for MS's Cortana assistant.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

zoux posted:

I know it's almost exactly how it works in the game, I know that it makes sense in the context of the show and the scenes in which it appears. But I can't shake the feeling that this week's episode featured about 15 minutes of promotional placement for MS's Cortana assistant.

I thought that was part of the joke with how she was reading the promo material at one point tbh. It's a good joke

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Also the part where she actually is a spy, recording and reporting on all your movements. Also she's almost impossible to completely turn off.

Probably unintentional but I couldn't help but see a parallel with Windows 10.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Professor Beetus posted:

They're hunters. Hunters in the Halo games are canonically a bunch of worms in a trenchcoat.

Wow, I didn't know that at all. Apparently they pilot Scarabs and stuff too, neat.

Do they ever, uh, do that in the games? Seems like something useful that you'd want to show off. Like me mate Dave - he's got a nine-incher, and he gets it out all the time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mister Speaker posted:

Wow, I didn't know that at all. Apparently they pilot Scarabs and stuff too, neat.

Do they ever, uh, do that in the games? Seems like something useful that you'd want to show off. Like me mate Dave - he's got a nine-incher, and he gets it out all the time.

You don't see them out of the armor but you see the individual worms in the scarab and suit a lot if you look closely

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Going real hard with the not-Blade Runner 2049 music in this episode.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

I kept my expectations low for this show, and they still found was to disappoint. Didn't like that it was looking like another lone wolf and cub story, as I do not care at all what happens to Kwan. In fact, I have very little attachment to any characters outside of Dr. Halsey and John. I'm not thrilled with how they wrote Halsey either. They have shown no "for the good of humanity" behind any of her motivations and treat her more like a mad scientist then someone who is willing to make difficult decisions for the greater good.

Did they do any world building about the AI? It seemed to me that there was no explanation other than the use of the flash clone as to why Cortana is special.

I have no idea where they are going to the blonde, but I really hope it doesn't end with her being John's sister or something equally stupid.

Also, what the gently caress is up with Halsey's creepy assistant?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Fartington Butts posted:

Going real hard with the not-Blade Runner 2049 music in this episode.

the show keeps sounding like mass effect to me

Finally saw last week's episode. I kinda loved how the Hunter has been introduced. The rest was...fine.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I haven't played a halo game since halo 2, and so far this show is 3 episodes in and there hasn't been any halo, so that's the loving point?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The way the show has been set up I have no idea how they'd actually do the Halo. You can't just have a whole season of Chief and Cortana running around various outdoor environments shooting Covenant and talking to like a group of marines once in a while. Either way people probably aren't gonna like it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

The way the show has been set up I have no idea how they'd actually do the Halo. You can't just have a whole season of Chief and Cortana running around various outdoor environments shooting Covenant and talking to like a group of marines once in a while. Either way people probably aren't gonna like it.

I'm guessing the Pillar of Autumn is either going to survive in some functional state or crash on the Halo and become a base of operations for its exploration, there's no way it's going to be like the game.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, they'll have some base on the installation. Chief and Cortana will mostly be on their own. Then we'll also follow the human covenant lady working against John.

I'd like to see the Arbiter fleshed out as well whenever they bring him in.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, they'll have some base on the installation. Chief and Cortana will mostly be on their own. Then we'll also follow the human covenant lady working against John.

I'd like to see the Arbiter fleshed out as well whenever they bring him in.

Adding a proper covenant POV to the show would be a step in the right direction and the Arbiter would be fantastic for it.

As for S2 and doing anything in the actual Halo, they’ll probably merge Halo 1 and Infinite in terms of how the UNSC and Covenant operate on the ring.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If they do get Keith David to voice Arbiter, then all is forgiven.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

my cat is norris posted:

the show keeps sounding like mass effect to me

I mean commander Shepard did get a call out in episode 1

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean commander Shepard did get a call out in episode 1

The asteroid colony is basically Omega

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Knight2m posted:

Did they do any world building about the AI? It seemed to me that there was no explanation other than the use of the flash clone as to why Cortana is special.

My take away was that in order to make a Cortana, you have to destructively analyze a living brain and inject your own special firmware in the process.

So Cortana is special because everything about her existence is super unethical. And Cortana’s life is nightmare fuel. She’s fully sentient, smarter than humans, and created specifically to take over and control the body of John Halo. She’s a super advanced parasite being handicapped at 5% of her abilities and she knows it and appears frustrated by it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't think they'll bring in the Arbiter because they would have to spend a lot of money to animate the character unless he's only in it for like a minute or two at a time

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sammus posted:

My take away was that in order to make a Cortana, you have to destructively analyze a living brain and inject your own special firmware in the process.

So Cortana is special because everything about her existence is super unethical. And Cortana’s life is nightmare fuel. She’s fully sentient, smarter than humans, and created specifically to take over and control the body of John Halo. She’s a super advanced parasite being handicapped at 5% of her abilities and she knows it and appears frustrated by it.

Yeah the whole point of that sequence was a 'subtext is for cowards' HALSEY IS NOT GOOD scream at the viewer.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
On the other hand, what's a little unethical experimentation when the end result is arguably an evolution of humanity that'll definitely fare a lot better in the universe than the old kind.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Khanstant posted:

On the other hand, what's a little unethical experimentation when the end result is arguably an evolution of humanity that'll definitely fare a lot better in the universe than the old kind.

an ai like cortana will think herself to death in seven years

so y'know

that

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Horizon Burning posted:

so y'know

that

I’m curious if they’ll even bother with that. Given how Cortana has been shown / integrated to John, it feels like they have no intention on touching on AI in general outside of her if they even have other AI referenced at all. So no other smart/dumb AI, no easy to move around tags for the AI to be repurposed / taken away, and no rampancy.

Or gently caress it, maybe they do go on Rampancy but it’s something that immediately happens / begin to happen once Cortana begins interfacing with the forerunner tech during a moment John is activating it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m curious if they’ll even bother with that. Given how Cortana has been shown / integrated to John, it feels like they have no intention on touching on AI in general outside of her if they even have other AI referenced at all. So no other smart/dumb AI, no easy to move around tags for the AI to be repurposed / taken away, and no rampancy.

Or gently caress it, maybe they do go on Rampancy but it’s something that immediately happens / begin to happen once Cortana begins interfacing with the forerunner tech during a moment John is activating it.

The impending rampancy is a big deal for the Cortana and John relationship, so I'm sure they'll keep something like that in the show.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The show is cool and good and I like it.

Give me 100% the show of John and Cortana running around a Halo ring shooting up Covenant and going hog wild in vehicles.

Bring in the additional Spartans for spice.

Leave out the Flood. Don’t care for more zombie poo poo. That boat has sunk.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I doubt they will leave out the flood since they are the reason for the titular Halo in the first place. But I think it could still work if they go full body horror with it and get weird instead of just being Marines with walking dead makeup on.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I never liked zombie poo poo either and tbh I always dreaded fighting the Flood in later games but their presence in the first one is kind of important to the story and the three way battles between you the Flood and the Covenant are iconic

given what they've done with the Hunter worms and how gory the show is so far I think there's a decent chance they could make the Flood pretty crazy

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Once they’re in Halo, one episode will be a shot for shot recreation of The Library level

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Once they’re in Halo, one episode will be a shot for shot recreation of The Library level

I hope they adapt that level because it was loving terrifying

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’ll be a whole season of chief slowly making his way through because he can’t seem to find another shotgun

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tighclops posted:

given what they've done with the Hunter worms and how gory the show is so far I think there's a decent chance they could make the Flood pretty crazy

Given how the Flood are kinda fleshy-planty I could see them going for something like the lab scene from the Swamp Thing tv show the other year.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I doubt that AI Rampancy gets addressed on this show.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't get how they're going to make the change from 'cortana is embedded in my neocortex' to 'cortana exists on this thumb drive'

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Starting to understand why everyone hates the Halsey poo poo from halo 4 and 5 and onward. 343 studios really made halo so boring

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Starting to understand why everyone hates the Halsey poo poo from halo 4 and 5 and onward. 343 studios really made halo so boring

The Halsey stuff in Halo 4 is fine. The stuff with Halsey during Spartan Ops was fun, but like everything that was promising about Spartan Ops, it fell off a cliff after Halo 5 released. Spartan Ops season 2 was canceled and replaced with a comic book tie-in and then the entire storyline of Halsey going traitor and joining the Covenant remnants to spite the UNSC was wrapped up in Halo 5's first level.

Also they made Halsey sound like a 90 year old grandma for some reason when she's in her mid 60s in Halo 4, in a setting where faster than light travel time dilation and cryosleep fucks with biological aging. Johnson was 75 years old when he died in Halo 3 and he looked like he was in his 40s or early 50s.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 13, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gonz posted:

I doubt that AI Rampancy gets addressed on this show.

I bet they do because Halsey's whole angle seems to be "the evolution of humanity" with Spartans and AIs in their heads and half of that having less than a decade lifespan seems like a problem for it

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Oh yeah. You can tell exactly where the 343 influence was in this lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Horizon Burning posted:

so y'know

that

hear me out, just an old fashioned fatbrain here, but couldn't she use some of that time to think of a way to maybe fix the issue, or transfer herself forward or into a greater vessel that won't break down? I'm just a mortal and even I have been saving up my skin cells, fingernails, teeth, hair, etc for years slowly building the golem I will inhabit next. With her super-brain and strength I feel like she could solve the issues, but I don't know how it goes in the games.

I tend to think Her probably handled the alleyoop of humans creating a more advanced life form best. If cortana starts dating mr halo, it's like one episode of them having some cute moments and then she's off dating all the other AIs and they zip off to space and become an even higher level of being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

hear me out, just an old fashioned fatbrain here, but couldn't she use some of that time to think of a way to maybe fix the issue, or transfer herself forward or into a greater vessel that won't break down?

I want a Marathon tv show too