Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

The video game Binary Domain handled it that way instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuCWJbQ1Gpw

The game itself is not great! But as a weird sci-fi world it's wonderful.

See that! That's it exactly

But I'd also be down for some Rosie The Robot and Robbie the RObot and Invasion Earth motherfuckers showing up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

christmas boots posted:

What's the level/interpretation of Batty's speech where Deckard is a replicant?

For me that whole moment works because they've essentially switched places and both through saving Deckard and his speech, Batty shows himself to be more human than the human pursuing him, again calling into question if there's really a difference. If Deckard himself is a replicant then I've always felt like that sequence loses some of its impact so I'm curious to know what your take is.

I strongly prefer the 'Deckard is human' version too, though Roy wouldn't necessarily know, so the emotion works the same way from his perspective, and it adds a little undertone of bitter irony. But if Deckard is a replicant, and Roy knows that he is, then it's a reaching-out to a fellow replicant who's so enslaved by the system that he isn't even aware of it, and I like that too.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
From the voice-over version, Deckard says, "Sushi, that's what my ex-wife called me. Cold fish."

In the Deckard-is-a-replicant version, I see this as Deckard not being able to express emotions whereas the Nexus-6 could develop them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

HopperUK posted:

I strongly prefer the 'Deckard is human' version too, though Roy wouldn't necessarily know, so the emotion works the same way from his perspective, and it adds a little undertone of bitter irony. But if Deckard is a replicant, and Roy knows that he is, then it's a reaching-out to a fellow replicant who's so enslaved by the system that he isn't even aware of it, and I like that too.

Hmm. I should watch the movie again

Usu Kai Ken
Oct 2, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y01RdvuG7g0

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The Blade Runner video game from the 90's had a different take. You played a Blade Runner, but not Deckard. Depending on how you played, you could end up killing the missing replicants, helping them escape, or running off to Mexico with either the stripper or the fourteen year old girl.

It leaves the replicant/human question of the protagonist up in the air. You could be sure you're one or the other, or unsure and don't care. With the exception of two characters, most of the others are assigned their status at random, which affect their behavior and game flow. Apparently there's thousands of variations possible in overall game story.

It was a pretty good and well rendered game for the time. I still have the cd around somewhere.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Mister Kingdom posted:

From the voice-over version, Deckard says, "Sushi, that's what my ex-wife called me. Cold fish."

In the Deckard-is-a-replicant version, I see this as Deckard not being able to express emotions whereas the Nexus-6 could develop them.
Yeah, that's why they limit their life span to 4 years. They begin to develop emotionally and begin to develop a sense of self and personhood outside of others. I mean, just imagine a toddler having a meltdown in the supermarket except the toddler is genetically enhanced for combat

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I'm nearly done with Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman and the current storyline concerns a white supremacist group, The GGG (Glorius Guardians of Good). They want to make Fernwood a safe place for the right people. One of its members is determined to blow up the local TV station because they broadcast Roots. Quite a few racial slurs were tossed around with one even being put on a poster. Yikes!

The bomber, who is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, accidently blows up part of the auto factory where most of the main characters work. The head of the group is also management of the factory and is desperate to blame someone for the accident. Enter Dewey, apparently the only Black person in town. To make their case, they leave evidence at the scene. Namely an Afro pick and a Marvin Gaye album.

Later the group decides to start their own political party and holds a telethon. When some of the money goes missing, guess who gets blamed? This time the manager guy plants more evidence - a watermelon.

Obviously, this is being played for laughs to show how stupid the klan guys are, but it's still very cringe-worthy.

Earlier, they had some stereotypical Romani people, too, one of whom stole another character's baby.

The 70s were a weird time on TV

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Yeah, that's why they limit their life span to 4 years. They begin to develop emotionally and begin to develop a sense of self and personhood outside of others. I mean, just imagine a toddler having a meltdown in the supermarket except the toddler is genetically enhanced for combat

Or the whole thing about them developing emotions over time is wrong and they’re simply completely human slaves killed quickly to prevent them from organizing and to otherwise keep them controllable, albeit assembled by other means.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I AM GRANDO posted:

Or the whole thing about them developing emotions over time is wrong and they’re simply completely human slaves killed quickly to prevent them from organizing and to otherwise keep them controllable, albeit assembled by other means.
I feel like this might have come up at some point

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I feel like any attempt to answer whether or not he's a replicant misses the point entirely.

The fact that the distinction is so unclear that we even have to - or can - ask the question points out how meaningless the question is. People are people, whether they come from a vagina or a vat or whatever it is that Replicants are made in.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Is Deckard a replican or a replicant?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

The voice over is so bad. Carefully explaining every single thing that happens. "Roy Batty saved me, maybe he was more human than most humans?" "In case you didn't notice, my boss doesn't like replicants." "People on the street has developed their owne language."

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

"And that's when I ran my first blade."

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alhazred posted:

The voice over is so bad. Carefully explaining every single thing that happens. "Roy Batty saved me, maybe he was more human than most humans?" "In case you didn't notice, my boss doesn't like replicants." "People on the street has developed their owne language."

Isn't there a cut of the film without the voice over?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Kwyndig posted:

Isn't there a cut of the film without the voice over?

All cuts, in fact, except the original theatrical release.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's two theatrical cuts (both have the voiceover).
:goonsay:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Torquemada posted:

All cuts, in fact, except the original theatrical release.

It was studio imposed. That's why Ford sounds so non-plussed throughout - VO might be a Noir tradition, but I suspect he was more than a little pissed that the execs didn't think his work spoke for itself.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Eventually the technology will exist to Muppetify any movie

Kermit: Everyone be cool, this is a robbery!
Miss Piggy: Any of you loving pricks move, and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jedit posted:

It was studio imposed. That's why Ford sounds so non-plussed throughout - VO might be a Noir tradition, but I suspect he was more than a little pissed that the execs didn't think his work spoke for itself.

I believe there's theory that the VO is bad because Harrison Ford was trying to deliberately sabotage it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Cleretic posted:

I believe there's theory that the VO is bad because Harrison Ford was trying to deliberately sabotage it.

He said he wasn't, but he's a nut, so who really knows?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well it's not like that's something you can really admit that you did if someone asks you. Even if there's no chance of you catching wind for it from the people who you did it to spite, a "wink wink maybe I did" is probably the best you'd get.

edit: See all the folks re-examining Xena to find even more homoerotic subtext only to discover that oh don't worry it was there the whole time and they did it on purpose, but it'd ruin the television historical reason for doing so for the showrunners to say so.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 12:49 on Apr 11, 2022

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

bitterandtwisted posted:

Kermit: Everyone be cool, this is a robbery!
Miss Piggy: Any of you loving pricks move, and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!

That reminds me of an old thing that rewrote Pulp Fiction as a Shakespearean play. I even contributed a bit! It was a neat little writing exercise. But now I can't find the original site, just stuff about it being adapted into an actual play.

I only remember a few bits from it: Honey-bunny and Pumpkin were Meadsweet Coney and Pumpkin-pie. The whole thing started when someone came up with "English, base knave! Dost thou speak it!?" and it just sort of spiraled from there.

fakeedit: I found it on the wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20120306000650/http://pulpbard.wikispaces.com/Table+of+Contents

quote:

MEADSWEET: If but one of thy uncouth, base number
Stirs with unrest; then every mother's son
Of you, I will put in the earth by this
My very own long sword; Harken to'it.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 14:19 on Apr 11, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Alhazred posted:

The voiceover was apparently written in a rush by the producers/financiers because Warner Bros said the move was too confusing.

The movie is such an oddity because there's 6 versions of it, and Scott hated almost all of them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

The voice over is bad because it is poorly written. We don't need someone to tell us what is happening and how the characters feel.

pentyne posted:

The movie is such an oddity because there's 6 versions of it, and Scott hated almost all of them.
He likes the version where he got to cut it. Which is not the director's cut version.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Scott's movies seem to get cut to poo poo and then get bad reviews and then he gets to do what he wanted and the reviews are good, same deal with kingdom of heaven

God imagine being in a room with Hollywood producers making decisions, lmao

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hawowanlawow posted:

Scott's movies seem to get cut to poo poo and then get bad reviews and then he gets to do what he wanted and the reviews are good, same deal with kingdom of heaven

yea pretty much, it's hilariously cyclical. Scott's movie comes out, people go 'woah this sucks what happened', turned out it got wrecked in editing, Scott can put out a better cut, people go 'ah, there it is, nice'.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hawowanlawow posted:

Maybe he should just get better at dealing with producers? :thunk:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

He should be more direct with them. Directer.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I mean, I wouldn't say GOOD reviews, but they are generally "hey this is better than what the studio put out."

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Maybe he should just get better at dealing with producers? :thunk:

like the grapefruit technique?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Alhazred posted:

The voice over is bad because it is poorly written. We don't need someone to tell us what is happening and how the characters feel.

He likes the version where he got to cut it. Which is not the director's cut version.

That’s not what they mean. Harrison sounds bored and disinterested, no amount of good writing could save that

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hawowanlawow posted:

like the grapefruit technique?

I'm saying that dealing with producers is part of the film-making process, and a lot of other directors are able to get their visions out there in front of the public to commercial and critical acclaim. This isn't some quirky joke, this is him being bad at part of his job. And I can't imagine the cast and crew benefit from the movies only being liked way past theatrical release.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

CharlestheHammer posted:

Harrison sounds bored and disinterested,

Almost like he’s a robot

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
A lot of directors also end up getting canned and replaced by yes men.

And Sam Raimi? This has happened to several marvel Movies over the years

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm saying that dealing with producers is part of the film-making process, and a lot of other directors are able to get their visions out there in front of the public to commercial and critical acclaim. This isn't some quirky joke, this is him being bad at part of his job. And I can't imagine the cast and crew benefit from the movies only being liked way past theatrical release.

maybe you should write him a letter

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s not what they mean. Harrison sounds bored and disinterested, no amount of good writing could save that

It's basically just him saying what happens on the screen, I wouldn't blame him for being bored by that.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I am annoyed at Ridley Scott for convincing nerds that directors' cuts are a good thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Alhazred posted:

It's basically just him saying what happens on the screen, I wouldn't blame him for being bored by that.

Oh I can understand why he doesn’t care, but the VA doesn’t attempt to alleviate the writing at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite recent director's cut is Death Stranding Director's Cut purely because Death Stranding already IS Hideo Kojima's unconstrained vision, only a few years after a months long media frenzy about the messy handling of his departure from the company keeping him from directing everything himself.