Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Seems unecessarily risky to anesthetize people for a little probe play, i googled it and people who got it done un-drugged say it doesn't even hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bismuth posted:

Seems unecessarily risky to anesthetize people for a little probe play, i googled it and people who got it done un-drugged say it doesn't even hurt

It's a situation where you definitely don't want people tightening up due to anxiety though, so they normally at least give you some sedation. I'd also assume if they want to actually do a biopsy or anything else involving sharp stuff they (and you) would prefer a bit of pain relief.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
If its just about anxiety then whys it so hard to find a dr willing to sedate me for procedures that trigger my panic attacks :mad:

If i need something shoved up my rear end to get the drugs i can arrange that!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Bismuth posted:

If its just about anxiety then whys it so hard to find a dr willing to sedate me for procedures that trigger my panic attacks :mad:

text me

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bismuth posted:

It's because the doctors are saving the good poo poo for themselves :mad:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bismuth posted:

Why do they have to put you under for a colonoscopy, dont they just put gas and a camera up your rear end?

As someone that woke up five minutes before they were finished: it's pretty uncomfortable (even with lingering anesthetic) since they pressurize your colon with compressed air (nitrogen?) and stick a steel rod up there.

Back in the day, they did not use anesthetic. Think everyone gets it now.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Also they slice a random piece of your large bowel off for biopsy and testing. That may not actually be painful but who knows.

Either way, the farts afterward are ungodly. So much volume. You have never experienced a deflation like colonoscopy farts. They don’t smell, just very loud, often long.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Mechanical Pencil posted:

If my TMS doesn't work out, this is what I'm gunning at

TMS was not a miracle for me like it seems to be for some people, but it did help and I take way less medication now than I did before. Good luck!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's such a dad joke it's grandpa-tier

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Eh, just give it time and B and C will catch up.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

That is such a crusty crab

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Bismuth posted:

They don't fully knock you out - propofol and midazolam are sedatives not anaesthetics, though they're usually used as the preparation for general anaesthetic. They both help prevent the formation of memories too, which can be handy, trauma-wise.

The scopes themselves probably aren't too bad - they're about 2cm in diameter - but the nipping at your insides for biopsies and the removal of polyps by ligature probably aren't much fun.

(Source: I witnessed a live colonoscopy/gastroscopy twofer a couple weeks back. As part of a nursing placement, not as a leisure time activity, though watching surgery is pretty cool.)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Bismuth posted:

It's better to be knocked out so you don't need to listen to Peggy and Bobby embarass you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsb6OeFL91U

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Who What Now posted:

It's because the doctors are saving the good poo poo for themselves :mad:

I don't care, as long as they do the colonoscopy properly they can keep whatever they find in there.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Sorry, i've missed the last few pages.

What type of food are we discussing here? British? American? Other?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The crust is the same in all three pieces of bread. The first one, however, has a crab-shaped hole.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Wipfmetz posted:

Pizza burgers atm

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Zil posted:

Ket infusions are pretty fun.

must ket?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

The Cabinet of Dr Caligari remake lookin promising

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Wipfmetz posted:

Let's go with... Other

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Baron von Eevl posted:

Esketamine is apparently available as a nasal spray. You night want to look into that.

It is, and the manufacturer has paid for the full suite of approval tests, so it’s more likely to be covered by insurance. It’s apparently not as effective for a lot of people as IV though, unfortunately.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Bismuth posted:

Why do they have to put you under for a colonoscopy, dont they just put gas and a camera up your rear end?

its the drs prefrence i believe. it can be done with or with out. you probably need some type of anesthesia for it so you dont randomly clench or something. Ive only had one dr perform it and he puts you under for it.

snergle has a new favorite as of 17:25 on Apr 11, 2022

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bismuth posted:

They don't really put you fully under, it is usually called twilight sedation. You pretty much are somewhat asleep and awake at the same time. You can respond to requests to reposition but your conscious mind doesn't form any memories of the procedure.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Guys I'm very glad that you're all taking rectal health seriously but can we post more funny pictures?

https://i.imgur.com/fdB6uJb.mp4

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

This was amazing. Perhaps the longest random YouTube video I've watched. And it's not really even a video!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Wipfmetz posted:

Please put food posts in the food thread. This is the funny pictures thread.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Scratch Monkey posted:

Guys I'm very glad that you're all taking rectal health seriously but can we post more funny pictures?

It's not Thursday

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Elissimpark posted:

They don't fully knock you out - propofol and midazolam are sedatives not anaesthetics, though they're usually used as the preparation for general anaesthetic. They both help prevent the formation of memories too, which can be handy, trauma-wise.

This is incorrect.

First off when you say general anesthesia, all you're referring to is the medication cocktail the patient gets pre-procedure. General anesthesia can be a wide variety of medication combinations, it's not one specific drug.

Propofol is a general anesthetic. Check your DDG, epocrates or even ask Dr. Google. It's therapeutic class is literally "general anesthetics." It's not an analgesic if that's what you meant, but it's entire purpose is the induction of general anesthesia - and it will 100% knock you out. I use it on rescue as part of our "facilitated intubation" protocols (RSI protocols are different), and I absolutely adore the looks from the ED nurses when they realize we carry propofol on our trucks.

The amount you give can alter what happens as well. If you want conscious sedation effects so you can reset a shoulder that's out of socket, for example, you'd give less because you don't want the patient totally unconscious. If you're inducing anesthesia for intubation, for example, you'd give a larger dose (maybe along with a paralytic, situation dependent) then continue propofol for your anesthesia.

The amount of drug given doesn't change it's drug class or indication for usage though.

Zipperelli. has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Apr 11, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://twitter.com/crowsx3/status/1513559734799974405?s=20&t=vmR3uUbDR5qDRynhL6837A

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/AmstradHater73/status/1513572058432774145

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

In 2026, Supreme Ruler Lord Pickles declares indefinite martial law over the United Kingdom

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Scratch Monkey posted:

It's not Thur-

Altared State posted:

It's not Thursday

gently caress!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Lord Pickles

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

Kwyndig posted:

Good luck on the TMS, those crazy magnets work for some people. hope it works for you.

Thanks! All Hail the EM woodpecker

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it's more like taking a muscle relaxant for your brain.

Esketamine is apparently available as a nasal spray. You night want to look into that.

Cheers!
I'm in Aus, saw a news report suggesting in clinic infusions running at ~$800 per session, with no Medicare/ Private coverage. Australian governments/ Therapeutic Goods Administration are pretty backwards when it comes to novel approaches.

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

TMS was not a miracle for me like it seems to be for some people, but it did help and I take way less medication now than I did before. Good luck!

Thanks!
Yeah that's not an ideal result, though glad you got some benefit.
This is also my hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day