Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

why isn't kirby 64 on the switch yet :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

To give us time to play the new Kirby

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is the deluxe edition of Lego Star Wars just a few other characters or is there some story content to go along with them? Is it worth the extra 10bux?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is the deluxe edition of Lego Star Wars just a few other characters or is there some story content to go along with them? Is it worth the extra 10bux?

Just a few extra characters as far as I’m aware, if you don’t care about that then no (the game’s expensive enough as it is)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Augus posted:

why isn't kirby 64 on the switch yet :(

It'll likely be out next month.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ugh, yesterday I brought my switch to my friend's house to play and while we were playing docked we suddenly started to hear a buzz and I though "huh, his neighbours are noisy" but then it turned out it was my switch making a ridiculous amount of noise again and I had to turn it off to stop, when usually it's enough to go to the home menu and put it in sleep mode. I think I might have to check it out somewhere...

If only I didn't lose the serial code sticker to check if it's an old hackable model, then I could buy an OLED and sell it to someone else.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Ugh, yesterday I brought my switch to my friend's house to play and while we were playing docked we suddenly started to hear a buzz and I though "huh, his neighbours are noisy" but then it turned out it was my switch making a ridiculous amount of noise again and I had to turn it off to stop, when usually it's enough to go to the home menu and put it in sleep mode. I think I might have to check it out somewhere...

If only I didn't lose the serial code sticker to check if it's an old hackable model, then I could buy an OLED and sell it to someone else.

P sure you can see your serial number in the settings menu if you're willing to turn it back on

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

cohsae posted:

P sure you can see your serial number in the settings menu if you're willing to turn it back on

...why does no guide I found ever mention that? And it turns out it's fine on that matter, makes sense since it's a launch Mario Odyssey edition Switch.

I have no fear to turn it on because the weird thing is, that poo poo only ever happens once after turning it on/leaving it to sleep after some time, if I let it rest it plays for hours with minimal noise (as in, the normal amount you can hear when pressing the console up your ear)

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Until the thread's recent digression on the topic I was wholly unaware of FFX's plot, though I'd recently started to play it as something that didn't need a lot of button pressing when my hands were too sore for much else. Already lost steam on it partially 'cause the ports didn't have 4x fast forward (which I kinda want in every game now) so I didn't feel too bad about the spoilers, but it's actively nice to read an effort post like that and sounds like if I do pick it back up it'll still be rewarding.

Chas McGill posted:

Anyone played Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi on Switch? I've never really played any first person dungeon crawlers before, but I really like the premise of this and it's 25% off.

I have not played that one but I will go to bat for Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk as one of the best games in the genre. The plot is extremely anime in a way that is ultimately rewarding though it has a few serious oof tropes/moments early on. But the music and gameplay are top-notch.

That being said if you do pick Yomi up (or anyone else already has) let us know how it is 'cause I could always use some more good DRPGs.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I know it came out ages ago, but I finally tried out Ignition Factor on SNESflix, and uhh... Wow, I'm kinda hooked.

You're a firefighter that has to save people from buildings, work sites, etc. Gotta manage your inventory and get it all done in under a certain amount of time.

It's not bad!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Old Switches are loud. Unless you hear like actual grinding then it's just fine. If you're embarrassed by how loud it is you can try shooting some compressed air into the vents.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

my older switch took a bump in my bag years ago and I think it slightly knocked the fan out of alignment because it's been noisy as gently caress every since but it still runs fine even when playing the most intense stuff like Doom or Witcher3

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

American McGay posted:

Old Switches are loud. Unless you hear like actual grinding then it's just fine. If you're embarrassed by how loud it is you can try shooting some compressed air into the vents.

I'm not sure if it's a grinding noise or just an extremely loud fan, and it also heats up a bit but as a launch Switch that might be normal.

The weirdest thing is besides intensive games the other thing that triggers the noise is... the Youtube app. Which also crashes a lot, so it might just be so lovely it takes more resources than loving Metroid.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know it came out ages ago, but I finally tried out Ignition Factor on SNESflix, and uhh... Wow, I'm kinda hooked.

You're a firefighter that has to save people from buildings, work sites, etc. Gotta manage your inventory and get it all done in under a certain amount of time.

It's not bad!

Further to this...

:wtc:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My (launch) switch started whirring just after I turned it on, whether I was playing something or not. If I rotated it on the x axis the whirring would change and get worse/better, so I'm pretty certain it's a fan that's just a little loose. Considering that I've dropped it a few times, I'm not surprised.

Anyway, was thinking of opening it up and poking around, but decided instead to get an OLED and give my old one to a friend. OLED is nice but I've yet to get a screen protector and I'm treating it with velvet gloves until I do.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Morpheus posted:

My (launch) switch started whirring just after I turned it on, whether I was playing something or not. If I rotated it on the x axis the whirring would change and get worse/better, so I'm pretty certain it's a fan that's just a little loose. Considering that I've dropped it a few times, I'm not surprised.

Anyway, was thinking of opening it up and poking around, but decided instead to get an OLED and give my old one to a friend. OLED is nice but I've yet to get a screen protector and I'm treating it with velvet gloves until I do.

Oh. Oh! That... might actually be it. On 2020 I managed to knock down my Switch from when it was at my desk because I'm big and unaware of my dimensions and it fell on the floor breaking the right Joycon (the joystick flew away and the R button stopped working), but since it fell on the joycon I never linked that to the fan noise. I guess I could check it out somewhere since I don't plan on getting a new model until they announce an actual Switch "Pro" or the next gen.

I guess I'm too used of Nintendo consoles being made of Orichalcum: my GC once fell from like 2m up because the Mario DDR mat had a too short cable and was fine besides the memory card breaking, and a friend of mine once left his GBASP on his pants, which went into the washing machine. And it still worked despite the water inside the screen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ignition Factor.

The game that keeps on giving.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pro title option

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Hello ma'am, *flashes badge*, I'm from Video Games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Hello ma'am, *flashes badge*, I'm from Video Games.

"... and I have no idea what I'm talking about."

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Pro title option

I agree, and I might actually spring for it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hammer Bro. posted:

Until the thread's recent digression on the topic I was wholly unaware of FFX's plot, though I'd recently started to play it as something that didn't need a lot of button pressing when my hands were too sore for much else. Already lost steam on it partially 'cause the ports didn't have 4x fast forward (which I kinda want in every game now) so I didn't feel too bad about the spoilers, but it's actively nice to read an effort post like that and sounds like if I do pick it back up it'll still be rewarding.

Fast-forward is so lovely in all games I agree. FFX isn't too bad without it since you tend to have to think about battles anyway. It'd be nice to speed up through some of the areas though, but once you get a No Encounters item it isn't bad and the game has very little back tracking until you finally get an airship. I hope you get back into it, it's a very good game.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

:fireman:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

It's a-me, Mario from videogames

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Nintendo Switch Thread - They're from 'Video Games'. Their name is 'Goons'.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Morter posted:

Nintendo Switch Thread - They're from 'Video Games'. Their name is 'Goons'.

I think a more apt one might be

Nintendo Switch: We have no idea what we're talking about.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Skipping all the recent chat to post that I got Chrono Cross and know basically nothing about it and am avoiding even incidental spoilers to add that i'm about 30 seconds in and it's like I entered a portal to the 90's, time travel achieved

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
It's not for everyone, but goddamn is Triangle Strategy really good. It's a pleasant surprise because I quit the first demo early because it sucked so much rear end. It's an early contender for GOTY for me (probably to be unseated when I get around to Elden Ring and/or Splatoon 3, but hey, what can you do). The backlog beckons, but I'm going in for New Game+. I can count the number of games I've done a New Game+ with on a single hand. This is my hole. It was made for me.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

NLJP posted:

Is the new Lego terrible on switch or not?

For reference I'm v satisfied with e.g how Witcher 3 runs on switch

Barreft posted:

same question but for me witcher 3 runs like dogshit

It's entirely ymmv. It runs fine and the game's aesthetic is beautiful, but honestly the 720p resolution was too blurry for me. It bugged me after watching footage of how nice it looks on other platforms.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Hammer Bro. posted:

I have not played that one but I will go to bat for Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk as one of the best games in the genre. The plot is extremely anime in a way that is ultimately rewarding though it has a few serious oof tropes/moments early on. But the music and gameplay are top-notch.

That being said if you do pick Yomi up (or anyone else already has) let us know how it is 'cause I could always use some more good DRPGs.
Cool, at the moment I'm trying to decide on this or Triangle Strategy for a long flight. Maybe I need both...

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Not sure if I’d play Labyrinth of Refrain out in public with the amount of poop covered monsters in it but I’m a coward who fears what strangers I’ll never talk to think

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tempura Wizard posted:

It's not for everyone, but goddamn is Triangle Strategy really good. It's a pleasant surprise because I quit the first demo early because it sucked so much rear end. It's an early contender for GOTY for me (probably to be unseated when I get around to Elden Ring and/or Splatoon 3, but hey, what can you do). The backlog beckons, but I'm going in for New Game+. I can count the number of games I've done a New Game+ with on a single hand. This is my hole. It was made for me.
I'm slowly working my way through it but I love it. I'm already looking forward to another play-through where i pick different options or let the game pick them for me. I'll probably start by picking the first path I didn't and then let the game decide from then on.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When do the n64 games typically unlock?

I’m jonesing for some Mario golf 64 the instant it’s available

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Like 7pm Pacific, it's kind of ridiculous

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Streets of Rogue is pretty drat cool. I just wish the objective types were color coded. Not a big deal in any case.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Like 7pm Pacific, it's kind of ridiculous

It's also not available until the 14th.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d like Toadstool Tour next month, please and thank you Nintendo

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's also not available until the 14th.

Is there a coming soon section? I swore I read that Kirby64 was already out but apparently not.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Is there a coming soon section? I swore I read that Kirby64 was already out but apparently not.

No, we only know the closest to be released.

They like to meter them out like little treats.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I hope you get back into it, it's a very good game.

Wasn't expecting to be bedridden, but it does fall under the category of things I can do without moving much. Though I'm so out of it that I took Kirby out and replaced it with FFX only to find I'd put Kirby back in. Both white carts.

It was kind of nice appreciating the main character interactions in the context of the spoilers. And Wakka is a good dude

I forgot about the Wonder Years framing device. Makes me glad I named him Tiduck, because he's a goof (and dresses like Donald in flashbacks).

Also I giggled at Valeforb because those orb memes still tickle me. Tells me when it was I started playing the game, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I'm looking for puzzle games to really sink my teeth into. I'm not a fan of picross, I already have "Obra Dinn" and "Baba is you" and loved them both so something else in the direction of those would be great. Unfortunately, Outer Wilds isn't available in my region yet so that's off the list.

I'm considering The Talos Principle, but I played a bit of it on the PC a few years ago and remember not loving it.

Edit: It's not on the switch but I also loved "The Witness" if that gives a bit more of an idea of what I like.