Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Bo-Pepper posted:

Thoughts/experiences on smoking vegetables?

I've been asked to provide a "vegetable plate" for Easter this coming weekend and I'll be damned if I'm just going to slop some crudite on a platter and call it a day.

I like making a modified Greek eggplant dip on my charcoal smoker. Throw an eggplant or two directly on the coals, wait until they are deflated and nicely cooked through. Peel off the skin (some of it will have burned and its nbd), throw it in a food processor with parsley, lemon, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.

I've also had smoked mushrooms and enjoyed them but have never made them.

I've also had smoked jackfruit, which really requires a good sauce because it can be kind of bland.

lonelylikezoidberg fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

um excuse me posted:

No its a ham holiday. Its actually not a food holiday at all, but if the food industry can make it one they will. I'm sure the poultry market would love another holiday where serving a bird became a societal norm.

I have two turkeys frozen from post Thanksgiving clearance. 10 pound organic ones, not salted, absolutely perfect for smoking and was like $0.50/lb. I was thinking about doing a thanksgiving in summer party with them and do them roughly 6 months from Thanksgiving.

I feel like it's a ham and lamb holiday. It's also a holiday in which my wife makes me an easter basket even though I'm a grown-rear end man.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

um excuse me posted:

No its a ham holiday. Its actually not a food holiday at all, but if the food industry can make it one they will. I'm sure the poultry market would love another holiday where serving a bird became a societal norm.

I have two turkeys frozen from post Thanksgiving clearance. 10 pound organic ones, not salted, absolutely perfect for smoking and was like $0.50/lb. I was thinking about doing a thanksgiving in summer party with them and do them roughly 6 months from Thanksgiving.

Sounds like a good Memorial Day weekend project.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Remember, friends, not everything has to be smoked.

Reported.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Bo-Pepper posted:

Thoughts/experiences on smoking vegetables?

I've been asked to provide a "vegetable plate" for Easter this coming weekend and I'll be damned if I'm just going to slop some crudite on a platter and call it a day.

High heat roasted vegetables are universally delicious, would recommend.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I was at a bar, looking at the menu. I asked them if smoked beets was a typo. It was not. I did not order it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

VulgarandStupid posted:

I was at a bar, looking at the menu. I asked them if smoked beets was a typo. It was not. I did not order it.

I don't like beets but I'd try it. Why not?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I smoked some mushrooms and some sweet potato fries as a vegan filling for street tacos and they were pretty good.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Kalman posted:

High heat roasted vegetables are universally delicious, would recommend.

While hot, yes. But if you're bringing them to an Easter gathering, they'd be cold or at best reheated, which... naw.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Bird wants his pole smoked

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

um excuse me posted:

You're really going to assert that the end of the 40 day fast before Easter Sunday isn't traditionally a holiday marked by feasting?

Anyway, last year I smoked a leg of lamb and this year I'm going to do it again, too.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Setting aside vegetables, what about best smoked dishes? My wife is 4+ months pregnant and meat makes her barf. The exception is when I can make something where the meat is either hidden or processed somehow. So like... steak or beef ribs? No go. Burger or bolognese? OK! Chicken on the bone? No thank you. Avocado chicken salad? OK!

I was thinking about smoking some pork shoulder and making tacos or maybe a turkey breast and turning it into some kind of salad? But I'm open to other things. I just miss running the smoker every week.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Smoking only elevates the meat imo. You can't mask it.

I actually also know someone who will absolutely not eat meat on the bone but are fine otherwise. Very strange.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 11, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

D34THROW posted:

Bird wants his pole smoked

drat right

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Chad Sexington posted:

Setting aside vegetables, what about best smoked dishes? My wife is 4+ months pregnant and meat makes her barf. The exception is when I can make something where the meat is either hidden or processed somehow. So like... steak or beef ribs? No go. Burger or bolognese? OK! Chicken on the bone? No thank you. Avocado chicken salad? OK!

I was thinking about smoking some pork shoulder and making tacos or maybe a turkey breast and turning it into some kind of salad? But I'm open to other things. I just miss running the smoker every week.
Smoke some chicken with tons of garlic and herbs and then convert to chicken salad with homemade mayo, it's great every time.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

While hot, yes. But if you're bringing them to an Easter gathering, they'd be cold or at best reheated, which... naw.

I like them cold too, tbh, but yeah, some people don’t.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Should I reheat a ham on the smoker? Smokeception?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

NomNomNom posted:

Should I reheat a ham on the smoker? Smokeception?

I was gonna do that with some smoked sausage (that I got at the store, already smoked) last night, but it got too late so I just put it in the air fryer. :sigh:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
One turkey acquired. I almost got two but decided to double check my freezer space first, which was wise. I'm gonna play with things later tonight and see if I can make some more room, need to do a full shopping trip on Friday anyway.

I think I broke the cashier, though.....

"Oh are you making a turkey for Easter?"
"What's Easter? I just saw cheap turkey so I'm throwing this on the smoker this weekend."

She was like 70 and wearing several crosses and had no idea how to respond to that.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

One turkey acquired. I almost got two but decided to double check my freezer space first, which was wise. I'm gonna play with things later tonight and see if I can make some more room, need to do a full shopping trip on Friday anyway.

I think I broke the cashier, though.....

"Oh are you making a turkey for Easter?"
"What's Easter? I just saw cheap turkey so I'm throwing this on the smoker this weekend."

She was like 70 and wearing several crosses and had no idea how to respond to that.

She definitely said "Jesus Christ" under her breath

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone interested in buying a used FireBoard 2 drive with a pit viper fan? I’m not smoking meats as much as I used to and I’m definitely not doing long cooks.

Figure $200 shipped to conus 48 and I’d post here first before going to SA Mart or eBay.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I had a highdea last night, and after the customary waiting period of thinking about it sober the next day, I am still curious if it'll work. How would cold smoking a super processed cheese work out? Any time I've ever seen someone do that with cheese it's an actually good cheese, but if I got a block of white American that I plan to use to make a sodium citrate queso dip and cold smoked it, would it actually take on flavor and elevate the cheese? Or is there some hosed up food science reason that the plasticky cheese would just not be good for that?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bluedeanie posted:

I had a highdea last night, and after the customary waiting period of thinking about it sober the next day, I am still curious if it'll work. How would cold smoking a super processed cheese work out? Any time I've ever seen someone do that with cheese it's an actually good cheese, but if I got a block of white American that I plan to use to make a sodium citrate queso dip and cold smoked it, would it actually take on flavor and elevate the cheese? Or is there some hosed up food science reason that the plasticky cheese would just not be good for that?

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't pick up some flavor. I mean, Member's Mark-quality mozzarella loaf and sharp cheddar pick it up just fine.

The real trick might be that since it melts so easily, you're going to have to really keep the temp lower than you might for harder cheeses. That may or may not be a struggle, given your setup and outdoor temps.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I see no reason why it wouldn't work; processed cheese is pretty much just cheese + sodium citrate, and I don't see why the citrate would inhibit the smoke at all. You probably just have to make sure that it is actually cold smoking (and not even warm smoking) since processed cheese has a low melting point.

fake edit: yep, same thoughts exactly

real edit: lol, you even mentioned citrate in the OP. well, maybe the above is helpful anyway in case you didn't know there was already citrate in your american cheese (and so if you're looking at a queso recipe built around totally natural cheese you can likely back off on the additional citrate a bit).

I also think you could straight up cold smoke the queso itself as long as you put it in a bowl (and probably transfer it to another bowl to serve, since it'll get all smoked up). Then you don't have to worry at all about melting.

Scythe fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 21, 2022

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It may improve it. The way I view it is like with most cooking. Quality of ingredients matter. Yes you can make something good with garbage ingredients, but it will generally require more finesse and fine tuning than if you had just started with a better ingredient. Like putting makeup on a pig, its a lot more work to get something passable than just not starting with a pig.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Sure it's been asked before but would cheese pick up smoke flavor by just leaving it in an unlit grill/smoker with a pellet smoke tube/maze?

Don't know how much of a role slightly elevating the temperature would play.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Monkey Fracas posted:

Sure it's been asked before but would cheese pick up smoke flavor by just leaving it in an unlit grill/smoker with a pellet smoke tube/maze?

Don't know how much of a role slightly elevating the temperature would play.

That's basically how I cold-smoke my cheeses (though I do it in my MES-30, not the grill. Same concept though).

The MES-30 seems to be insulated well enough that I struggle with internal temp in the smoker, even in freezing temperatures. A grill may or may not be as well insulated (and may have a lot more holes for smoke to leak out of) but in theory it should work just fine I'd imagine.

If you have an upper rack, you may want to consider putting the tube above and away from the cheese. I'd say test the pellet tube first and see how good a job it does filling the entire grill with smoke (and maybe toss a thermometer where you would put your cheese just to see how temps will do). I suspect it'll do just fine, though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Bought a $10 brisket on sale to try out smoking before I get an expensive piece and my MiL sliced part of it up to use in a dish she was making. No reason to not move forward with what’s left, right? Can’t think of a reason that it couldn’t be used.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

Bought a $10 brisket on sale to try out smoking before I get an expensive piece and my MiL sliced part of it up to use in a dish she was making. No reason to not move forward with what’s left, right? Can’t think of a reason that it couldn’t be used.

Go for it, assuming she didn't make any weird, really thin, remnants that will overcook and dry out. If she did and it does, its chili time, baby.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

$10 brisket - what's the weight? Of what's left now, anyway.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Sorry, $15 for just shy of 3lbs. Now down to a bit under 2.4.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Briskets that size, while they can be smoked, tend to do better braised or in the crockpot.

I would definitely inject to prevent it drying out in the smoker.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, unfortunately you probably don't want to smoke that unless you're throwing it in chili or something. I also suspect that's just the flat, which tends to dry out more than the point, especially when separated.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Well the good news is that I arrived home to find the rest of it chunked out and being braised in lord knows what so I suppose it worked out.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Turkey #1 is headed into the brine tomorrow and I'll smoke that bastard on Sunday probably. I'd have done it tonight...but stupid me forgot I used up my last big brine bag last time :negative:

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Bluedeanie posted:

I've actually read that processed cheese is better for smoking, since all natural cheeses have a protein that interacts poorly with smoke and tastes funky.

I've never tested it out though.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Can't go out to celebrate my new job offer tonight, but I can at least smoke this batch of wings. Using a different rub this time, we'll see how it goes.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I finally, finally got the Char-Griller 980 I ordered from Lowes a month ago. Got it assembled. The build quality seems quite good. Excited to do a seasoning and burn in. Not quite sure what the first smoke will be!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Internet Explorer posted:

I finally, finally got the Char-Griller 980 I ordered from Lowes a month ago. Got it assembled. The build quality seems quite good. Excited to do a seasoning and burn in. Not quite sure what the first smoke will be!

I really need a new smoker. I’m still on my first one. I’ve definitely outgrown it and need more room for bigger cooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I've just replaced the original hopper and controller from my gen 1 Traeger Ironwood with the updated version, as I was having issues with the original controller and its replacement. Fortunately, the controllers were covered by warranty.

It was annoying that there were no instructions provided with the replacement hopper, but the sales rep gave a few brief pointers via email. It was surprisingly easy to replace everything, and it gave me confidence seeing how simple the construction is. If something ever gets damaged, it's an easy fix.

I still need to burn the new unit in, and configure the new controller, but at least I'm now closer to smoking more meat again.