Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Rappaport posted:

The sniping is really, really fun in 4, especially because it's set in an actual ruined city, and you can have hours of fun finding new high places from which to brutally murder raiders and mutants.

Wait, where are you going :(

it's also fun to have an explosive full auto weapon and run around shooting snipers from the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chatrapati posted:

Cool, thanks! I figured New Vegas would be recommended just based off the glowing OP. I'm happy to skip 3 since I'd be surprised if they made a game that was too confusing to play if you didn't play the prequel.

'Charming sniper' sounds like the sort of playstyle I want. I played 2 with a full luck, full charisma person; I liked solving problems without necessarily fighting, and if I got into a fight, she could prod things with her little finger and they exploded :D. Why is the conversation system worse in 4?

The one problem is that with any of them except 4 you need to mod the game pretty heavily to make it work well today (they're Bethesda engine games with all the associate instability). There's a dedicated modding thread for new vegas here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713, and the Viva New Vegas guide in the OP does a pretty good job of getting you started (skip the overhauls section unless you want kind of the director's cut by the goon lead developer experience, in which case ask in the modding thread here)

In New Vegas in particular, goofy stuff like Doctor Who references (and there are a few) are locked behind the Wild Wasteland trait which you pick at character creation FYI.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

What are treasury notes used for? I have 100 of them and i can't store or scrap them so I assume they're yet another currency.

Yes, yet another currency. You have to finish the Wastelander questline to unlock the Gold Vendors.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Flesh Forge posted:

FO4 is also pretty good as a 3rd person shooter, I had to lean on VATS heavily in FO3/NV but I really enjoy just free shooting in FO4. F76 is about the best iteration of this, the realtime VATS feels better to me than I thought it would. For me, VATS was mostly a crutch for having terrible frames per second and just not being good at shooters.

Repconn HQ in New Vegas and the facial recognition scanner. The fact that you can successfully pass it by screaming "ICE CREAM" with an LCK >7 or INT <2 check is just fantastic :allears:

Arivia posted:

In New Vegas in particular, goofy stuff like Doctor Who references (and there are a few) are locked behind the Wild Wasteland trait which you pick at character creation FYI.

The SA reference is tops too.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

^^^ Multiple references, at least one each for WW and non-WW

Sensenmann posted:

Yes, yet another currency. You have to finish the Wastelander questline to unlock the Gold Vendors.

I believe you can convert them before you finish at the machines in both camps, which isn't a bad idea because there is a conversion cap

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You don't need any mods just play. And remember if someone says New Vegas railroads you, they just never tried to get off the tracks.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Arivia posted:

The one problem is that with any of them except 4 you need to mod the game pretty heavily to make it work well today (they're Bethesda engine games with all the associate instability). There's a dedicated modding thread for new vegas here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713, and the Viva New Vegas guide in the OP does a pretty good job of getting you started (skip the overhauls section unless you want kind of the director's cut by the goon lead developer experience, in which case ask in the modding thread here)

Oh wow. That looks quite complicated. I think I'll soldier through it regardless since no-one's said anything positive about Fallout 1 or 3, and I'm not really interested in building, or playing a "3rd person shooter" like Flesh Forge described. Cheers guys, I'm looking forward to see if war ever changes!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It doesn't

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

yeah skip 3, 1 and 2 are great but may be too antiquated for you. just start with New Vegas. 4 is a lot of fun but the dialogue system sucks and there's few opportunities to talk your way out of things, the game is geared best to making your own fun, loving around, and shuttling from one shooting gallery to the next

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Chatrapati posted:

Oh wow. That looks quite complicated. I think I'll soldier through it regardless since no-one's said anything positive about Fallout 1 or 3, and I'm not really interested in building, or playing a "3rd person shooter" like Flesh Forge described. Cheers guys, I'm looking forward to see if war ever changes!

oh you can play it in first person too, it's fine like that.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Chatrapati posted:

Fallout 3 isn't really a bad game, but it's technically inferior to 4 and can't stand up story wise against New Vegas as one of the best written RPGs ever, so it kind of gets neglected.

I realize this probably won't win me many internet points but I never could really get into Fallout 1 or 2. When I tried them it seemed to be all about pixel hunting for a few important things you were supposed to find to figure out what you were supposed to do.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You don't need any mods just play. And remember if someone says New Vegas railroads you, they just never tried to get off the tracks.

by "mods" i hope you don't mean recommending someone should play new vegas without anti-crash fixes, tick fixes, stuff to stop save corruption, etc

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bremen posted:

I realize this probably won't win me many internet points but I never could really get into Fallout 1 or 2. When I tried them it seemed to be all about pixel hunting for a few important things you were supposed to find to figure out what you were supposed to do.

Fallout 1 and especially 2 had an infuriating habit of making big rooms full of containers, filled with nothing. :argh: But the main fetch quests in both games are straight-forward, especially when compared to actual pixel hunt puzzles in adventure games. 2 even takes pity on you, and there's a spare macguffin if you somehow managed to not bring the "actual" one to the end-game.

Unless you mean things like powerful honking weapons, there's a couple I can remember that are sort of obscure to locate, but especially in 2 the "last" town of the story has shops that sell pretty much any equipment you'd want.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Bremen posted:

Fallout 3 isn't really a bad game, but it's technically inferior to 4 and can't stand up story wise against New Vegas as one of the best written RPGs ever, so it kind of gets neglected.

I probably would have tried Fallout 1 again had anyone recommended it, but having replayed Arcanum a couple years back, the graphics can be a bit much to return to. If they did hi-res remakes of the old games, I think they'd be a lot more appealing.
Saying that, I don't remember any pixel hunting in Fallout 2, though finding settlements could be awkward.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Chatrapati posted:

I probably would have tried Fallout 1 again had anyone recommended it, but having replayed Arcanum a couple years back, the graphics can be a bit much to return to. If they did hi-res remakes of the old games, I think they'd be a lot more appealing.
Saying that, I don't remember any pixel hunting in Fallout 2, though finding settlements could be awkward.

There's a high-res patch for at least F2, but it only scales the graphics, so while you're not having to stare at a postage stamp sized window, it's still a bit of a pixel mush. That said, I'm not sure how much of the graphics system is tied to the hex representation of the world. I know there's sprite replacements so you can have different hair colours, but the basic character models are roughly the same.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Taerkar posted:

^^^ Multiple references, at least one each for WW and non-WW

I believe you can convert them before you finish at the machines in both camps, which isn't a bad idea because there is a conversion cap

You can't. Gold Bullion becomes only available after you finish the last Wastelanders quest. Before that the machines either don't exist or do nothing when you access them. Can't remember which.

You can, however, farm the Notes before you finish Wastelanders, the requirement for them to only become available as event rewards once you finish the last quest has been ditched with Steel Reign.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Sensenmann posted:

You can't. Gold Bullion becomes only available after you finish the last Wastelanders quest. Before that the machines either don't exist or do nothing when you access them. Can't remember which.

You can, however, farm the Notes before you finish Wastelanders, the requirement for them to only become available as event rewards once you finish the last quest has been ditched with Steel Reign.

I was definitely able to both exchange my notes and spend bullion before finishing the quest when I played FO76, since I never finished the Wastelanders quest.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So i went to the Camp where I can get the real backpack, and uh the Supermutants that infest that area are pretty hard to kill with my current gear/SPECIAL. Like it would take one full clip from my combat rifle to take one down. Any suggestions on how to increase my damage? I've been getting the perks that increase my rifle damage, but that doesn't seem to be increasing it that much.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Fallout 3 is definitely playable without mods after the december 2021 patch, I finished a playthrough with all 5 dlcs last weekend without any major issues (a one-time crash in the final area of The Pitt).
You need some controller software if you're using a dualshock instead of an xbox controller and the game still hates alt-tabbing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

So i went to the Camp where I can get the real backpack, and uh the Supermutants that infest that area are pretty hard to kill with my current gear/SPECIAL. Like it would take one full clip from my combat rifle to take one down. Any suggestions on how to increase my damage? I've been getting the perks that increase my rifle damage, but that doesn't seem to be increasing it that much.

sneak and skip them if they're not fun to fight.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Bremen posted:

I was definitely able to both exchange my notes and spend bullion before finishing the quest when I played FO76, since I never finished the Wastelanders quest.

You sure you didn't raid the vault? Unless that's been drastically changed with one of the last big patches the vault raid is the requirement for the machines to work and for the gold vendors to sell you stuff.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Sensenmann posted:

You sure you didn't raid the vault? Unless that's been drastically changed with one of the last big patches the vault raid is the requirement for the machines to work and for the gold vendors to sell you stuff.

Positive. I'm actually less sure that I redeemed the certificates and bought stuff with gold, but I'm pretty sure I remember using the machines and then spending the gold at that trader that alternates cities and sells stuff on a rotating cycle.

twistedmentat posted:

If I recall correctly the Super Mutants in 76 have considerably higher physical damage resistance than energy so you could try using an energy weapon if you have one.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Have they migrated from the Bethesda launcher to Steam yet? I stopped playing before NPCs were introduced and I kinda want to pick it back up but I also don't want to download another launcher service, especially one that's about to shut down.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Flesh Forge posted:

sneak and skip them if they're not fun to fight.

I wasn't intending to fight them, but i exited a door and there were a big group right outside. I had no problem with the ghouls in the prison.

Bremen posted:

Positive. I'm actually less sure that I redeemed the certificates and bought stuff with gold, but I'm pretty sure I remember using the machines and then spending the gold at that trader that alternates cities and sells stuff on a rotating cycle.

If I recall correctly the Super Mutants in 76 have considerably higher physical damage resistance than energy so you could try using an energy weapon if you have one.

Oh yea, I have a laser rifle stored up, i should go grab it then.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Bremen posted:

Ah, ok. Minerva is different, there's no quest to be done to "activate" her. Still confused about the machines. It's been ages since I done that but I could have sworn that they gave me nothing until I had the quests done.

Oh well, it works, so why worry about it. :)

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Sensenmann posted:

Still confused about the machines. It's been ages since I done that but I could have sworn that they gave me nothing until I had the quests done.

it was changed with steel reign i believe.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Who's played Far Harbor? I seem to have broken the questline and can't advance in the way I want.

I confronted Dima about murdering Captain Avery, and then promised to keep his secret. Allen Lee asked me if Dima murdered Avery, and I lied to him. Later, when Dima proposed murdering another person, I decided he's remorseless and needs to die. But I don't have any dialogue options to tell Allen the truth, or to confront Dima. So I shot Dima in the face, but it turns out he's marked essential so I can't even take the Commonwealth Justice approach. Can I somehow get the truth out about the murder?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Iirc you need to talk to Avery

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Talk to the doctor in far harbor and have him examine Avery's skull.

If this doesn't work, the only way to beat him is to inform some of the more aggressive major factions in the Commonwealth.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Talk to the doctor in far harbor and have him examine Avery's skull.

If this doesn't work, the only way to beat him is to inform some of the more aggressive major factions in the Commonwealth.

I already did. The problem is that I then lied about it. I'll try talking to the doctor again to see if I can reopen that can of worms, if not, I guess I'll go tell the Brotherhood about Acadia. This DLC has made my character into a Synth hater.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The only good synth is Vic.

No longer phoneposting, but i just want to interject how much i hate the "Sole Survivor is a Synth" theory. To me, it would ruin the entire main story of the game, and a lot of the evidence is really suspect and one of the big ones, you can use vats before getting the PipBoy. Its a tutorial level, they're going to give you all the main gameplay there, its not some big hint. Plus most of the evidence comes from Dima, who is just a gaslighting rear end in a top hat "Oh yea lonely girl, you're totally a synth, run away to my commune cult".

He 100% gets whats coming to him.

Anyways, in FO76 do certain resources only appear after certain levels? I needed black titanium to complete the excavator power armor quest so i could get the power armor station, and i went to the 4 places on the map that the resource map i've been using shows them and they were not there. The lead deposits i looked for where exactly where the map said, and the other ones i came across were there too, but no black titanium. I can only assume that i need to get a certain level for them to be accessable?

So I just went to Welch and the train yard near by and slaughtered all the mole miners i could find. I kinda feel bad for them because they are totally decended from miners who were stuck underground when the bombs fell.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 16, 2022

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I don’t think the sole survivor is a synth but think it would have been a more interesting story if it was written that way which would involve a lot of rewrites obviously.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I utterly reject the main story, it sucks balls, so I'm totally happy to have my character a synth, or an aspirant Child of Atom, or a roving cannibal mutated raider :shrug:

twistedmentat posted:

Anyways, in FO76 do certain resources only appear after certain levels? I needed black titanium to complete the excavator power armor quest so i could get the power armor station, and i went to the 4 places on the map that the resource map i've been using shows them and they were not there. The lead deposits i looked for where exactly where the map said, and the other ones i came across were there too, but no black titanium. I can only assume that i need to get a certain level for them to be accessable?

So I just went to Welch and the train yard near by and slaughtered all the mole miners i could find. I kinda feel bad for them because they are totally decended from miners who were stuck underground when the bombs fell.

that's the best way to get a lot of it, scrapping mole miner poo poo. mining deposits are not locked behind levels or anything like that, it's just way simpler to beat up mole miners than scrutinize sparse little lumps of rock to get 1 or 2 units of ore and then have to process it and consume acid or whatever.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 16, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

ruin the entire main story of the game,

At any rate, any sort of reveal that F4's main character's traumatic memories from the freezer vault were synth implants could not possibly have been a dumber sequence than traversing Kellogg's memories. What even was that, seriously

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I like Kellogg a lot more than most of the main story characters even if the repeat play throughs make memory den a chore. The game was all downhill after him.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kellogg made a more compelling villain and boss fight than the Institute.

Anyway, I fixed my problem in Far Harbor by getting the Children of Atom to blow themselves up. Afterwards, I got a dialogue option with Dima to make him confess to the town.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

twistedmentat posted:

Don't worry, in the Foundation half of Wastelanders you get to recruit the Hornwright who automated away mining jobs AND wrote terminal entries demanding the family patriarch to have security start firing live rounds at striking miners because they're no better than animals. She is wholly unrepentant but it's okay because she's a total Girl Boss! :j:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's more evidence in Fallout 4 pointing towards the player character being a synth than there is against it. Also it makes exactly the same amount of sense as anyone in the game being a synth, as there is literally literally zero logic behind anything the institute does, other than staying underground, and cleaning.

And that's even without Far Harbour

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 17, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Just played Nuka World, and it's a pretty funny contrast to Far Harbor. Far Harbor had a large, beautiful world, and I spent a lot of time wondering how I was going to resolve the conflict. In Nuka World, my character's choice of action was obvious.

"Shoot these four dudes." "OK".
"Congrats, the story is over!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Chamale posted:

Just played Nuka World, and it's a pretty funny contrast to Far Harbor. Far Harbor had a large, beautiful world, and I spent a lot of time wondering how I was going to resolve the conflict. In Nuka World, my character's choice of action was obvious.

"Shoot these four dudes." "OK".
"Congrats, the story is over!"

Become the raider king to make Preston extremely mad at you and then shoot every single raider in the head.

It's almost upsetting how good Far Harbor is in every way compared to everything else in FO4 and its dlcs. Almost every kind of character build is going to leave the island with new useful items/perks/settlement items. Only major downside is the fog effect destroys the frame rate on older computers.