Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Walla posted:

How's Saturn emulation? I mostly want to try out some RPGs, especially Shining Force 3. I literally stopped playing videogames when the Saturn and PlayStation were announced and it's the only system I haven't been able to try out through emulation yet.

Saturn works, but with some caveats. The cores built into Retroarch don't seem to work very well, so you're forced to use Yaba Sanshiro 2. This emulator seems to have pretty good performance, but it's UI is just absolutely awful. On the few games I've tested, I haven't had any issues, and the community spreadsheet seems to indicate that it's mostly playable with only a few exceptions. It's the system I've played the least so far, so I don't claim to be an expert though. My main gripes then, come down to the emulator itself and not actually playing games on it. Once you're in game, the experience is totally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Cool, thanks. I don't care if the ui is lovely as long as I can play what I want. Can't wait to get my hands on it in September.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Just put in an order for an RP2+ - I'm a seasoned AliExpress user so I will now forget about it until it mysteriously shows up at my door in a few months.

Thanks for the recs, goons!

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Buckle up, I'm at 73 days and counting on my RP2+.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh yeah, 351Elec is now AmberElec (you know, because amber preserves) because uh, it's not really just for 351s anymore is it? The new beta supports importing Launchbox exports, so you can kit out your roms and metadata etc entirely on your PC.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I can't find a thread relevant to this, but does anyone have any advice on turning an old phone into a retro console? Like, a simple controller with a phone mount?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s an Android phone right?

How old are we talking? There are lots of options depending on the specs of the phone

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Personally I have a Razer Kishi for my iPhone which is just ok. The buttons are ok, but the triggers are squeaky. I think my ideal setup would be an 8bitdo controller with one of the phone clips you can buy for it, using an android phone.

I don’t love how the phone clips look, and it seems like the phone could weight the controller down causing hand fatigue? But I think most of the backbone/Kishi style phone controllers have pretty mediocre buttons. It’s a trade off I suppose.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I have two that I use

The Gamesir X2 is the top of the line if your phone takes usb-c. It's got microswitch buttons and feels great in the hand, and because it connects with usb instead of Bluetooth there's no input delay or battery to charge. I use mine to play through games over geforce now, so anything that added more input delay was a dealbreaker

Downside is that it costs as much as a miyoo mini

If you don't mind a little lag, then an ipega red knight is a good choice. It's cheap, versatile, and can work as a regular gamepad when you need a spare

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 6, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Switched.on posted:

Personally I have a Razer Kishi for my iPhone which is just ok. The buttons are ok, but the triggers are squeaky. I think my ideal setup would be an 8bitdo controller with one of the phone clips you can buy for it, using an android phone.

I don’t love how the phone clips look, and it seems like the phone could weight the controller down causing hand fatigue? But I think most of the backbone/Kishi style phone controllers have pretty mediocre buttons. It’s a trade off I suppose.

Yeah I have the Kishi and it’s ok? I didn’t pay much for it though.

I do agree about the clips though I’ve used a few and they always feel off and definitely cause fatigue because the balance is just off.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh yeah, 351Elec is now AmberElec (you know, because amber preserves) because uh, it's not really just for 351s anymore is it? The new beta supports importing Launchbox exports, so you can kit out your roms and metadata etc entirely on your PC.

Launchbox is a massive improvement. i could never get the integrated scraper to work very well with large collections.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Thanks gang. I'm probably going with the Kishi.

For reference, it's my Galaxy S10e and it's still my phone. I just wanted something for flights and I figure a bit of plastic is 1) easier to come by and 2) better for the environment than buying another computer chip thing. I have too many computer chip things already.

That said, I put in a reservation for a Steam Deck today. The Kishi is meant to tide me over until that bad boy ships late this year. Then I'll run all the retro games and not-retro games I want.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I dunno if I'd expect the Deck this year if you just reserved one recently. I reserved mine the day after they opened for reservations and I'm in the July-October bracket. "After Q3" just means sometime after October, so unless you actually have a Q4 estimate it could be literally any time after that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d have to look it up but I think the s10 is a pretty good little emulation machine. I think eta prime did a video on it.

Oh yeah it has a Snapdragon 855

Here is a decent emulation video

https://youtu.be/FDRO0E0cQfE

https://youtu.be/TjuhdQGzbGU

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 6, 2022

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

From the Retroid delivery dashboard

quote:

Dear All,

A HUGE thank you to all those who supported us so far. We are happy and excited to see many clients supported and posted our Retroid Pocket 2+. Thank you so much.

But at the same time we received complaints about the shipment from January. We are really sorry to delay the shipment upto 3 month due to the Chinese Spring Festival and Shenzhen's one week's lockdown. But the most important reason was we didn't manage well on component stock level and suffered from the quick status change from the supplier chain due to the outbreak of Omicon virus in HK, Shenzhen and Shanghai. We are solving this issue and will continue to ship from next week (April 11th) and will try our best to ship out all incoming orders out within the coming 2 weeks in April.

A big thanks for your patience and support again.

Team Retroid

They seem optimistic about catching things up here relatively soon. My Jan 16 Orange order is still unshipped but that’s the date range they claim to be shipping on the page next so hopefully next week it’ll finally be sent out.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I've been using my RGB10 Max 2 for a while and it's very nice with the RetroOz firmware. The only issue is PSP, it runs super poor and I can't figure out how to open the menu to try and change settings. I'm downloading Batocera to setup on a separate SD card to give it a try. This handheld is good I'll be happy if I can't run PSP games but I'd really like to play the Disgaea port on PSP. Anyway anyone already gone down this road with the Max 2 & PSP? Any tips?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

PlesantDilemma posted:

I've been using my RGB10 Max 2 for a while and it's very nice with the RetroOz firmware. The only issue is PSP, it runs super poor and I can't figure out how to open the menu to try and change settings. I'm downloading Batocera to setup on a separate SD card to give it a try. This handheld is good I'll be happy if I can't run PSP games but I'd really like to play the Disgaea port on PSP. Anyway anyone already gone down this road with the Max 2 & PSP? Any tips?

I think I found the problem. The rescue script attempts to copy a gamecontrollerdb.txt file that doesn't exist to /opt/ppsspp/assets/ and /opt/ppssppgo/assets/. To fix it you need to add the config to the gamecontrollerdb.txt file in these locations.

Each entry in gamecontollerdb.txt starts with a hex ID. The hex ID for Odroid Go Super, RG351MP, RGB10Max, and RGB10Max2 is 190000004b4800000011000000010000. Unfortunately since these actually have different control layouts despite having the same ID, you have to replace the gamecontrollerdb.txt depending on which device you have.

So, what you need to do is edit /opt/ppsspp/assets/gamecontrollerdb.txt (and I guess the one in ppssppgo, not sure what the difference in the versions is), make sure it doesn't already have a 190000004b4800000011000000010000 identifier, and add one of these two below:

code:
#RGB10Max2 (bottom start/back)
190000004b4800000011000000010000,GO-Super Gamepad,x:b3,a:b0,b:b1,y:b2,back:b14,guide:b12,start:b15,dpleft:b10,dpdown:b9,dpright:b11,dpup:b8,leftshoulder:b4,lefttrigger:b6,rightshoulder:b5,righttrigger:b7,leftstick:b16,rightstick:b17,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,rightx:a2,righty:a3,platform:Linux,

#RGB10Max2 (top start/back)
190000004b4800000011000000010000,GO-Super Gamepad,x:b3,a:b0,b:b1,y:b2,back:b12,guide:b14,start:b13,dpleft:b10,dpdown:b9,dpright:b11,dpup:b8,leftshoulder:b4,lefttrigger:b6,rightshoulder:b5,righttrigger:b7,leftstick:b16,rightstick:b17,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,rightx:a2,righty:a3,platform:Linux,
After that you *should* be able to use Select+X to open the menu. Or it might be Select+Y. Or the *other* select and X or Y. Just mess with it and you'll get in there somehow and can adjust the buttons accordingly.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Here's a question for the RG552 owner(s) out there. Is anyone else finding the sound output on the 3.5mm jack really noisy/hissy? It's like the usual amplifier noise you'd get from any system but the noise floor is way higher than any other device I've used.

edit: on a side note, I picked up a Retroid 2 Plus and the interface on that is so drat fast as long as you're not scrolling through a list of games. Really impressed at how quickly it just brings up/closes down a game. If only the screen was a bit bigger - it's definitely convinced me on the viability of Android interfaces for emulation.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 8, 2022

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Yea I just booted mine up and tried it out and it's definitely noticable, that's a shame really.

In other 552 new RetroGameCorps put out a video about custom firmwares on the 552. Right now I'm personally using JELOS and haven't had any issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB6IPbi9FeY

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
That's a shame - I really like both Jelos and the Black Seraph Android 9 ROM. It's a much snappier machine than it was when it first came out and the screen remains excellent.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Fyi the Mega SG, a few cartridge adapters and the analog output thing are in stock currently.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

How do you store your handheld consoles? I was thinking of making a charging rack with my Cricut. I know Russ on Retro Game Corps uses a dish rack.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

falz posted:

Fyi the Mega SG, a few cartridge adapters and the analog output thing are in stock currently.

cool, hopefully we'll see the same for the Super NT sometime

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

beep-beep car is go posted:

How do you store your handheld consoles? I was thinking of making a charging rack with my Cricut. I know Russ on Retro Game Corps uses a dish rack.

I was just thinking about this too yesterday. I was considering making a little shelf that can go behind my monitors above their arms to hold the consoles on little stands, but that does seem like a lot of work haha.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
My life in gaming has a brief episode on storing handheld carts and use these things. They can also be used for hand held consoles if thin enough, game boy color works fine, but a Sega nomad certainly wouldn't.

They come in a few sizes, this is the one I got. The other one is narrower but deeper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N24LHLZ/

I sorta just have stuff thrown on there in a closet for now, but for example.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Fair warning JELOS users. I did an OTA update a few minutes ago and now my 552 is stuck in a loop trying to load collections. I think I'm just going to sit things aside for now and wait for AnberElec to have an official release since the boot and game load times are near identical between the two and I never ran into a similar issue using 351Elec.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Hey friends, can anyone recommend a guide for how to map ps4 controller buttons for the dolphin emulator? I can’t seem to get it right.
Edit: still not sure where I went wrong with dolphin mmjr, but I switched to regular dolphin and everything works fine.

remigious fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 10, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So my steam deck will deffo be here before my Odin and I'm for sure not regretting getting it now,

quote:

Anyone thinking of picking up the odin, I have had a decent amount of time with mine now and for those picking up this device for emulation be aware that it doesn't have a 60hz screen. It's actually a 61hz screen.

Whilst this might not sound a big deal it absolutely is. I thought I might have a defective unit but seems they all have a 61hz screen judging by reddit posts.

What this means is, in any emulator, you'll get a micro stutter, once a second, like clockwork. Because typically emulated games are 60hz, and if you send 60 images a second to a 61hz display, your left with 1 frame a second over. This means one frame stays on the screen for 2 refreshes, causing stutter.

Quite how a device like the odin gets through reviews without this being picked up is ridiculous.

You can alleviate this somewhat (in retroarch anyway) by setting the refresh rate of emulation to match the screen, but this results in faster gameplay, and audio has a higher pitch because of it.

But this won't help you at all with emulators like redream, ppsspp etc, that run outside of retroarch.

The stutter might not be a deal breaker to some, but it's the most basic function that these devices have to get right, and the odin absolutely doesn't. So mine is making it's way to Ebay shortly.

quote:

You can't do anything about it. Ayn have actually stated that it's a 61hz screen as a design choice. Although quite why I have no idea as it doesn't benefit anything in terms of emulation.

quote:

t wasn't in any reviews I saw.

It MAY become a non issue in the coming months if authors of emulators adopt a sync emulator to screen refresh function.

To my knowledge duckstation has it, ppsspp is supposedly getting an update at some point to do this also. Redream (dreamcast) doesn't allow this yet.

Basically what this means is emulation can slow down or speed up depending on your screen refresh. So with the odin being 61hz, emulation would speed up by about 2 percent. So games play slightly faster, and audio has a slightly higher pitch. This is noticeable (as I've tried it) but it's way way better than stuttering.

So yeah, whilst it is a problem now, it's not a problem that can't be fixed even if Ayn don't do anything their end. But as it stands, it's not great.

If you Google "odin 61hz" the first topic that comes up is a reddit thread that I found when I find the issue with my odin. It's a good read.

:bang:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cool, maybe I can get one cheap now

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The one second microstutter infuriated me in Mario kart 8 on Wii U, this would be a dealbreaker for me

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

That is a really disappointing thing to learn..I assume it's the same screen on the Lite? I might just cancel and get a used 552 or something

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Holy poo poo my RP2+ finally shipped almost 3 months to the day.

I also ordered a Miyoo Mini since they’re back in stock. This is gonna be a sickness huh?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Third Party Retro Consoles: This is gonna be a sickness huh?

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Vegastar posted:

Holy poo poo my RP2+ finally shipped almost 3 months to the day.

Mine too, finally.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Photex posted:

That is a really disappointing thing to learn..I assume it's the same screen on the Lite? I might just cancel and get a used 552 or something

I have to assume they are using the same screen.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Commander Keene posted:

ooohhh wah ah ah ah

jfrancis
Nov 7, 2005

I look smarter than I am.
Responding to the sync issue, when using RetroArch, there's a way to fix it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=PliCqMdmUbM&t=1165s.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah but only in RetroArch which is fine for the lower stuff but the more powerful stuff that the device can run it can’t be fixed in.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Commander Keene posted:

iiii wasssss oncccccee a maaaaannnn.
why don't we have a cobra commander smiley/

Does anyone know if they make one of those nail polish terraces which is big enough for amiibo to sit in? That would be an idea storage / display solution.

Additional question: Has anyone had any luck finding 3rd party glass display covers for the analogue pocket? I want to have a couple of them before mine arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah but only in RetroArch which is fine for the lower stuff but the more powerful stuff that the device can run it can’t be fixed in.

Didn't the reddit post say it's only really a problem in GBA or lower? I guess I was confused at that bit in his post because it should just affect everything the entire time unless there is some sort of framesync