Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

zoux posted:

What agent does "respiratory failure, vestibulo-atactic syndrome" suggest

“vestibulo-atactic syndrome” is a neurological disorder…so nerve agents, likely.

:smith:

e: specifically, fucks with your sense of balance (ataxia: “Impaired balance or coordination, can be due to damage to brain, nerves, or muscles.”)

Some nerve agents target the one link between all 3, the neural synapses and some enzymes found there.

I made 3 mistakes in the army in Afghanistan: asking a chemical warfare officer to tell me about her job, verifying some of what she said with the nurse I worked for, then digging down the rabbit hole of chemical weapons and learning some fun things.

Q: what’s the difference between a pesticide and chemical weapon?

A: the size, and (more importantly) whatever you view as a pest.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

zoux posted:

Nerve agent.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

These symptoms sound like organophosphate poisoning. That's the general category that includes the older Sarin/Soman/Tabun/VX agents. If I remember correctly, Russia had developed additional newer chemical weapons of this type. I think most of the Novichok agents fall into this category.

I hope we shipped Ukraine a lot of atropine and DuoDote injectors :(

e:

Icon Of Sin posted:

Q: what’s the difference between a pesticide and chemical weapon?

A: the size, and (more importantly) whatever you view as a pest.

There's this, but there's also environmental persistence. Organophosphates used as pesticides don't typically persist in the environment all that long, while weapons like VX are designed to persist a lot longer in the environment to be a more effective weapon. Some agents like Soman also have characteristics where there is rapid "aging" of the targeted molecule becomes irreversibly damaged and makes treatment even harder.

Dong Quixote fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 11, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1513589963320967172?t=H3H3iGrjNDTV3guqVBWGPQ&s=19

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

In case of confirmed chemical attacks by Russia, is the play as Ukraine to retaliate? I mean at worst even Ukraine probably has enough pool supply stores to be able to produce large amounts of chlorine gas and if I was a betting man, I wouldn't bet about the availability or structural integrity of Russian Gas Masks. Is it distribute Mopp Gear and hope for the best?

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Defenestrategy posted:

In case of confirmed chemical attacks by Russia, is the play as Ukraine to retaliate? I mean at worst even Ukraine probably has enough pool supply stores to be able to produce large amounts of chlorine gas and if I was a betting man, I wouldn't bet about the availability or structural integrity of Russian Gas Masks. Is it distribute Mopp Gear and hope for the best?

Chlorine isn't a very effective chemical weapon. I have no idea if the Ukraine had a chemical weapons program, but even if they wanted to use them, you need specialized equipment for most of them to disperse the agents effectively. Seems like that capability would be pretty hard to stand up in the middle of a war.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

No. Chemical weapons are fickle as all hell, and you’re only ever a change of wind away from experiencing them yourself. You’ve also got to decontaminate the area somehow, if it’s a place you want to keep (like a major city :v: )

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Second question: do you really have to inject the atropine directly into your heart like in The Rock

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Defenestrategy posted:

Chemical weapons aren't actually that useful except in very specific circumstances that the Ukrainian army isn't that likely to want to create.

Basically they're only useful against people in the situation the Azov defenders are in, when you're an aggressor like Russia who doesn't care about potential collateral damage including yo your own troops.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Second question: do you really have to inject the atropine directly into your heart like in The Rock

Unfortunately it's not that dramatic, just a ton of atropine by IV, or intramuscular if you only have the autoinjector. I've personally treated organophosphate poisoning before and it'd be a lot of sticks in the heart if you tried!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dong Quixote posted:

Unfortunately it's not that dramatic, just a ton of atropine by IV, or intramuscular if you only have the autoinjector. I've personally treated organophosphate poisoning before and it'd be a lot of sticks in the heart if you tried!

Is the treatment still “administer atropine to tolerance” and hope for the best beyond that?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Defenestrategy posted:

No. It’s to wait and see if Europe sees chemical weapons use as grounds for finally turning off ALL of Russians petro exports.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

The little kits they issue for randos to use is right into the leg muscle.

I also accidently injected myself with one doing a class one time. It sucks.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I feel like if Ukraine used chemical weapons in reply it would just end up with mass use against their own civilians

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Icon Of Sin posted:

Is the treatment still “administer atropine to tolerance” and hope for the best beyond that?

Doctors or medics may have to support their breathing too, but for treatment with the antidote, you keep giving atropine at a doubled dose (i.e 2mg, 4mg, 8mg, 16mg) every 5 minutes until people stop having low blood pressure, low heart rate, airway spasms, and a ton of secretions/body fluids filling up their airways and lungs. So yeah, pretty much to tolerance.

The problem is, some of the organophosphates can get absorbed into your fat stores and slowly seep out and still cause toxicity, so people may have to get continual atropine infusions for days afterwards. It may not be a one-and-done treatment for people with significant exposures, especially chemical weapons designed to be very hard to treat.

There's also 2-PAM, a different antidote, which works in different ways to try to get your body working correctly again, but the atropine is the life-saving part.

These nerve agents can cause seizures too, so you need a 3rd medication for treatment in that case, which is a benzodiazepine like Valium.

In short, if hundreds of people in Mariupol got significant doses to a nerve agent like this, it would be very hard to treat all of them.

Dong Quixote fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 11, 2022

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Chemical weapons are only particularly effective against civilian populations. Troops spread out, bunker down, use gas masks/PPE, have access to medical care, and weather it. Civilians are much more vulnerable, don't have any resources, and die in droves.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kaal posted:

Chemical weapons are only particularly effective against civilian populations. Troops spread out, bunker down, use gas masks/PPE, have access to medical care, and weather it. Civilians are much more vulnerable, don't have any resources, and die in droves.

For Russia, those facts are all upside.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

For Russia, those facts are all upside.

Right, and for the Ukrainians it's all downside. The Russians also recognize that westerners aren't going to retaliate with chemical weapons regardless of what happens, and may not retaliate at all, so the deterrent effect is lessened.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Chemical weapons aren't actually that useful except in very specific circumstances that the Ukrainian army isn't that likely to want to create.

Basically they're only useful against people in the situation the Azov defenders are in, when you're an aggressor like Russia who doesn't care about potential collateral damage including yo your own troops.

It'd also be a serious loss in the diplomatic war. Confirmed Russian use would going create intense pressure on Europe to cut off oil & gas and could be a tipping point in some of the gently caress-gently caress games that third countries are playing around which side they support, but that would evaporate with a both-sides claim. I wouldn't be surprised to see more strikes within Russia, assuming they could mount the capacity, in retaliation, but it would be both tactically and strategically dumb for them to use chemical weapons even if they had them.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Dong Quixote posted:

In short, if hundreds of people in Mariupol got significant doses to a nerve agent like this, it would be very hard to treat all of them.

There's a "the Russians use" reply here, but it's really not funny. Especially not since I suspect it's true.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

So as i think mentioned they break down over time. But what do you rely on to clear it outve an area just the wind?
Or there still a chance of waltzing into a trapped pocket in a basement months later?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

Chemical weapons suck as weapons. Pound for pound, good old TNT is more effective at killing combatants. If you want to sow terror, or murder large numbers of unprotected civilians, that's your chemical weapons use case. There's no benefit to Ukraine to retaliate in kind.

Sentinel posted:

So as i think mentioned they break down over time. But what do you rely on to clear it outve an area just the wind?
Or there still a chance of waltzing into a trapped pocket in a basement months later?

it depends on the exact agent but yes, there is a risk.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CainFortea posted:

SSgt Huff?

Edit: now that I think about it this guy Capps injected himself too. I wonder how many people have accidentally given themselves an Atropine or 2-PamChloride injection?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 12, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

CainFortea posted:

The little kits they issue for randos to use is right into the leg muscle.

Doesn't that poo poo rev up your metabolism something fierce to make your body break down the agent quicker and keep you breathing?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

A.o.D. posted:

Chemical weapons suck as weapons. Pound for pound, good old TNT is more effective at killing combatants. If you want to sow terror, or murder large numbers of unprotected civilians, that's your chemical weapons use case. There's no benefit to Ukraine to retaliate in kind.

it depends on the exact agent but yes, there is a risk.

Persistence is variable but in the extremely potent agents is a concern that exists.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/ForeignAffairs/status/1513596525775101955?t=GhY_u6YsMDVe5SdJww6onA&s=19

https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1513467102958690304?t=XwKgD1zLNTMEw5C-_JGFTQ&s=19

Two good articles from today.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cimber posted:

Doesn't that poo poo rev up your metabolism something fierce to make your body break down the agent quicker and keep you breathing?

Here's how sort of how it works. The organophosphates/nerve agents block an enzyme in your nerves which breaks down a molecule that causes the target of the nerve to fire. Once the enzyme isn't working anymore, that nerve keeps firing, and the nerves that are most important in this case are the nerves causing you to make lots of fluids into your lungs, causing you to drown, and also the nerves causing your heart to slow down to dangerous levels. Atropine competes with the molecule for a spot at the receptor, and if atropine is taking up the spot, the target of the nerve won't fire. Once you get enough atropine in there, you're outcompeting the excess molecule that the nerve agent had made your body unable to break down. As a result everything dries up and your heart goes faster.

An event simpler way is this: The nerve agent makes your nerves make a bunch of a molecule that keeps hitting receptors in your lungs and heart which causes you to drown from your own body fluids and your heart to slow down way too much. You need a little of it for the nerves but the nerve agent causes you to have way too much. Atropine gets into the area of the nerves and the receptors, latches on to the receptors and makes them unable to be affected by that molecule and they stop making your body dump fluids into your lungs and your heart starts to speed up again.

2-PAM, the second antidote in the DuoDote auto-injector attacks the bond between the nerve agent and enzyme in area by your nerves and your receptors that breaks down the molecule to keep it at the normal level needed to function. It's too slow on its own to save someone who is dying, so that's why you both atropine and 2-PAM with these types of nerve agents.

Dong Quixote fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 12, 2022

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

MrYenko posted:

No. It’s to wait and see if Europe sees chemical weapons use as grounds for finally turning off ALL of Russians petro exports.

I learned recently that ~50% of the nuclear fuel for US reactors generating electricity on the grid comes from Russia, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan (recall Rosatom and Uranium One).

The industry has already asked the US to not put sanctions on fuel.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Lake of Methane posted:

I learned recently that ~50% of the nuclear fuel for US reactors generating electricity on the grid comes from Russia, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan (recall Rosatom and Uranium One).

Enrich your own goddamn uranium how in the hell was this industry allowed to rely on fuel from historical adversaries while Australia has uranium tumbling out of its pockets?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Carth Dookie posted:

Enrich your own goddamn uranium how in the hell was this industry allowed to rely on fuel from historical adversaries while Australia has uranium tumbling out of its pockets?

A lot of the USA's economic interactions with Russia over the past 30 years have been a Jobs/Economic stimulus project for Russia.

Also, the US, and Canada have useful uranium deposits. We don't have to go as far as Australia if we don't want to.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Name me a more "I'm a general trying to be Tom Friedman" anecdote

https://www.thebulwark.com/i-commanded-u-s-army-europe-heres-what-i-saw-in-the-russian-and-ukrainian-armies/

quote:

Over the course of nearly four decades, I spent a lot of time either engaging or working with the two armies now engaged in a bitter struggle in Ukraine. I met their leaders, observed their maneuvers, and watched their development closely either up close or through reading intelligence reports. Strangely, one memory that stands out had more to do with trumpets and rim-shots than tanks and rifles.

It was an event I witnessed secondhand—a visit by our U.S. Army Europe band to Moscow. I had been back in the United States when, according to the band’s director, “America’s Musical Ambassadors in Europe” had “rocked Red Square in six performances.” Russia had invited military bands from a half-dozen countries to perform modern music from their respective countries, and soldiers’ from our European Army band had knocked-em-dead with a Michael Jackson medley outside the Kremlin.

A very young sergeant, a trumpet player, confirmed to me that the Red Square concert had been a smashing success. When I pressed her for more details, she offered that the Russian musicians “were good, but they really weren’t very impressive. They weren’t really soldiers; they were musicians dressed like soldiers. And their leadership. . . well, we wouldn’t allow leaders like them in our Army. I wasn’t impressed.” I asked which countries had impressed her. “Germany was really good, and France performed some great music. But the Ukrainians—those soldiers really got it going on!”

What can you learn about a military from its band? Usually, not much. But
putting on great performance requires some of the same skills as conducting a military operation. It requires recruiting the right people with the right talents (and many militaries, including the American military, use bands as a recruiting tool). It requires equipping those people with the right technology—often highly specialized—so they can do their job. It requires training those people to work together to perform complicated tasks with impeccable timing. It requires developing young leaders, managing logistics, and maintaining high morale. The sergeant I spoke to observed that what came through in the Ukrainians’ performance is that they wanted to be there, they wanted to be great, and their leaders were inspirational.

quote:

What can you learn about a military from its band? Usually, not much. But

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

When you look behind the curtain enough and see similar patterns again and again that poo poo starts to stand out and make an impression.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Lake of Methane posted:

Elliott Lake's mayor just got a hard-on.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Please just let me keep pretending this is a Russian performance

https://youtu.be/-OxK4lPRoww

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dong Quixote posted:

Chlorine isn't a very effective chemical weapon. I have no idea if the Ukraine had a chemical weapons program, but even if they wanted to use them, you need specialized equipment for most of them to disperse the agents effectively. Seems like that capability would be pretty hard to stand up in the middle of a war.

It’s just Ukraine.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How much would it cost to get Russia word filtered to The Russia?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Are we still allowed to post editorial hot takes?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If they’re entertaining.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Dong Quixote posted:

Here's how sort of how it works. The organophosphates/nerve agents block an enzyme in your nerves which breaks down a molecule that causes the target of the nerve to fire. Once the enzyme isn't working anymore, that nerve keeps firing, and the nerves that are most important in this case are the nerves causing you to make lots of fluids into your lungs, causing you to drown, and also the nerves causing your heart to slow down to dangerous levels. Atropine competes with the molecule for a spot at the receptor, and if atropine is taking up the spot, the target of the nerve won't fire. Once you get enough atropine in there, you're outcompeting the excess molecule that the nerve agent had made your body unable to break down. As a result everything dries up and your heart goes faster.

An event simpler way is this: The nerve agent makes your nerves make a bunch of a molecule that keeps hitting receptors in your lungs and heart which causes you to drown from your own body fluids and your heart to slow down way too much. You need a little of it for the nerves but the nerve agent causes you to have way too much. Atropine gets into the area of the nerves and the receptors, latches on to the receptors and makes them unable to be affected by that molecule and they stop making your body dump fluids into your lungs and your heart starts to speed up again.

2-PAM, the second antidote in the DuoDote auto-injector attacks the bond between the nerve agent and enzyme in area by your nerves and your receptors that breaks down the molecule to keep it at the normal level needed to function. It's too slow on its own to save someone who is dying, so that's why you both atropine and 2-PAM with these types of nerve agents.

You forgot the catastrophic full-body muscle seizures that can break bones and lock you up so hard you can't breathe, even if you aren't already drowning in your own drool. My first reflex for a real no-poo poo confirmed exposure to a modern nerve agent would be going for my sidearm, not my mask. I learned way, way too much poo poo about "treating" CBRNE attacks as a medic to ever want to go out like that. Probably the only thing off the top of my head that might actually be worse than playing dig for buried treasure as I put up camp in the Chernobyl forests for a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

More infuriating. Just your standard issue moronic UKRAINE'S NEO-NAZIS AND NATO STARTED THIS WAR crap.