Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
get everything as long as its still free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
All Moderna here, shot number 2 put me in bed for around 18 hours. It was odd because my body was like 'OMG U HAEV TEH FLU' but besides chills and bodyaches (which were alleviated by blankets, a heating pad, and scrolling around on my phone) I didn't have any of the mental fog, nausea, or other misery that comes with actually being sick.

Third shot did mostly the same thing to me but I just cranked the bed heater up and slept through most of it. Got the shot around lunchtime on Friday, logged off a bit early when the malaise hit, and was back to normal by Sunday morning.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.
First dose of Pfizer made me sick for a couple days. Second made me miserable for a week. Moderna booster was nothing by comparison: some very slight chills and body aches for a few hours.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I think my immune system is probably crap because all three shots did nothing other than give me a sort arm for a couple of days.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Dick Trauma posted:

I think my immune system is probably crap because all three shots did nothing other than give me a sort arm for a couple of days.

I'm not sure that's a fair take. My understanding is that vaccine response does not necessarily correlate with vaccine/immune system efficacy.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I've had zero reaction to the the Pfizer shots I've had outside of a sore arm.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Nothing but a sore arm for all three (2x Pfizer then Moderna). I have a bit more sympathy for people grumbling about how they're just going to keep giving us shots forever when I remember that for a lot of people it equals being really unwell for a couple of days.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Pfizer shots had no side effects on me. Moderna booster gave me mild night chills, but I think I only woke up once that night so it wasn't a big deal.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Pfizer shots have universally knocked me out for a day or so and left me with a sore arm. I'm perfectly OK with that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One night of minor chills for J&J, zero notable effects for Moderna booster

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
https://twitter.com/patrickmadrid/status/1512600957204537350?t=yzQ9fsLW9QaBHg1IUHB4wg&s=19

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
During the half assed lockdowns here people were also yelling and screaming. At other times they started banging pots to honor the troopsessential workers for going into the plague mines for no extra pay/benefits.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

There are some horrifying videos of a lot of people jumping off buildings in China right now. Christ.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's totally possible to think lockdowns are justified but that the current one in Shanghai is terrible on pretty much every level.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mebh posted:

There are some horrifying videos of a lot of people jumping off buildings in China right now. Christ.

Jumping off buildings???

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Who is this source and is there a better source than Patrick Madrid’s friend’s father for what’s supposedly happening in this video?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's a whole bunch of awful videos being tweeted over the past few days, supposedly from Shanghai and other places in China. I say supposedly because they're for the most part being posted by anti-NPI shitheads that have been spreading misinformation and lies over the past 2 years, so not exactly trustworthy sources

The videos themselves look real enough though

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Moderna gave me neuropathy in my shot arm. Had to aggressively rehab it for the past five months.

Probably going to get Pfizer next time. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

droll posted:

During the half assed lockdowns here people were also yelling and screaming. At other times they started banging pots to honor the troopsessential workers for going into the plague mines for no extra pay/benefits.

I was gonna say, it could be the local equivalent of banging pots and pans at 7 or whatever

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Just got my second booster, so x3 Pfizer and now 1 Moderna. Went into CVS for the appointment and they didn't even check my ID or insurance card or make me fill out anything. They looked at my vaccination card, shot me up, and stamped the card, and sent me off. We had a fun convo about how people with covid sometimes come in for vaccinations and they obviously hate it.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

droll posted:

The cheering helped.

It was 6 days a week, 12 hour shift, 7PM start to 7AM for the worst night shift ever for weeks and weeks and strangers standing outside their doors and next to cars parked across the street next to the local hospital helped us walk into the doors of hell.

I'd post the photos but SA excuses monsters.

MadJackal fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 13, 2022

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Yeah the outward expression helped me. I'd sunbake in the one sunlit window my apartment had during the day then yell shared frustrations with my neighbors after work hours. They were being sent to work during lockdown for no extra pay. This post should be probed for whataboutism, if my last post was probed. I'll come back later to post a non specific tweet with no comment afterwards.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Bet you guys wouldn't have minded some actual material help, like more staff, more pay, or more resources as well though.

It felt extremely "thoughts and prayers" to me - we'll cheer you on, but we won't lift a finger to actually help.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Many of those people couldn't help. The issue was that medical care is not something you can toss anyone into.

Now the extra pay or the loving heroes act would have helped. Instead the hospital administration givjng themselves goddamn bonuses and then looking at Frontline workers saying that they can't get any help and just have to deal can go die in a loving fire

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gort posted:

Bet you guys wouldn't have minded some actual material help, like more staff, more pay, or more resources as well though.

It felt extremely "thoughts and prayers" to me - we'll cheer you on, but we won't lift a finger to actually help.

I have nothing to do with lawmaking or hospital administration so I couldn't also grant a nurse a raise when I said I appreciated what they were doing, but that kind of support from friends/family/regular people does mean something.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 13, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

droll posted:

Yeah the outward expression helped me. I'd sunbake in the one sunlit window my apartment had during the day then yell shared frustrations with my neighbors after work hours. They were being sent to work during lockdown for no extra pay. This post should be probed for whataboutism, if my last post was probed. I'll come back later to post a non specific tweet with no comment afterwards.

Next time you feel like information about what is going on in Shanghai is incorrect or not worth discussing, feel free to provide some analysis or evidence that says so, rather than doing a dumb whataboutism about people banging on pots and pans in the US in support of health care workers somehow being the same as people who aren't receiving food and can't physically leave their apartments to get it shouting out their windows in protest.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

If China's weaker vaccine and lower booster uptake is genuinely good reason to continue with harsh measures, I'm confused why the CCP is also sticking with the line that of Shanghai's hundreds of thousands of cases, only one (1) is severe and there have been zero deaths:

https://twitter.com/QinchenCQ/status/1513846023021465604

https://twitter.com/StephenMcDonell/status/1514057515050446848

Clearly a mathematically impossible lie even in a society with 99% MRNA booster uptake, which China definitely isn't, but... why? Surely you'd have more public support for the lockdown if you revealed how dire the situation is/could become?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

freebooter posted:

Clearly a mathematically impossible lie even in a society with 99% MRNA booster uptake, which China definitely isn't, but... why? Surely you'd have more public support for the lockdown if you revealed how dire the situation is/could become?

Who has done mass surveillance testing like this? Wasn't it a big part of South Korea's strategy? How much are they full of poo poo here?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

freebooter posted:

If China's weaker vaccine and lower booster uptake is genuinely good reason to continue with harsh measures, I'm confused why the CCP is also sticking with the line that of Shanghai's hundreds of thousands of cases, only one (1) is severe and there have been zero deaths:

https://twitter.com/QinchenCQ/status/1513846023021465604

https://twitter.com/StephenMcDonell/status/1514057515050446848

No! Only other countries without the benevolent hand of Xi have these problems. His measurements are the only thing keeping China from such a dire situation as the one Europe is in now.
Ideally, they would show pictures from other countries where the dead are just filling the streets right now, but well it's not as apocalyptic these past few days.

Perhaps strong prevention measures actually do also make it somewhat more mild. As far as I heard, the initial caseload is proportional to the severity. So if everyone is locked in cages and the only way the virus can spread is by weird air circulation at 1/1000 the rate as talking face to face, it would be less severe.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 13, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
All of the deaths in hong kong also did not move the official chinese death count.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tiny Timbs posted:

I have nothing to do with lawmaking or hospital administration so I couldn't also grant a nurse a raise when I said I appreciated what they were doing, but that kind of support from friends/family/regular people does mean something.

Sure, but at least here in the UK, the people ensuring that medical staff are underpaid and hospitals are understaffed during a pandemic are the same people who suggested banging pots and pans for the National Health Service. You can see how refusing material help but suggesting purely symbolic gestures instead feels like hypocrisy.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The UK is absolutely the place with the biggest discord between "Support Our NHS" and "gently caress you, no pay rises."

(My experience living there as a foreigner in general was that the attitude around the NHS was super-weird; a slavish bipartisan devotion to the idea of universal healthcare, almost to the point where you could be forgiven for thinking Britain was the only country in the world that had it, but nobody actually seemed to want to fund it and my day-to-day experience with it loving sucked)

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1516110848166670342

I'm literally on a plane right now for a business critical work trip. Can't wait to see how this plays out today.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Admittedly the entire legal system is opaque to me, but I don't understand how one judge can just decide to remove the mandate.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They can't really. The SCOTUS already upheld the public transport mandate, so this won't survive going up the ladder I don't think.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bubbacub posted:

Admittedly the entire legal system is opaque to me, but I don't understand how one judge can just decide to remove the mandate.

The judge ruled that the mandate exceeds the CDC's legal authority. This case will be appealed to a higher judge, which may overrule this ruling or keep it in place, and both sides will keep appealing it until it goes up to the Supreme Court, which will make a final decision one way or the other.

Of course, whether the mandate gets put back in place temporarily while all this works through the appeals process remains to be seen; that's up to the higher courts to decide.

But stuff like this is why federal court nominations, and not just the Supreme Court, are important. The judge in question is a Trump nominee who was confirmed during the lame-duck period by a party-line vote following the election, a Federalist Society member who graduated law school less a decade ago.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well, the extension was for two weeks, and we're almost at the start of week one into it, so chances are the court case to determine whether CDC overreached it's authority will take longer than the act itself.

That said, a lot of the reaction about the judge's nomination process seems to be leaning on the fantasy that 'a proper judge' wouldn't have ruled this way in this case. If my cat were a judge he would probably get at least the occasional case right if they all came down to yes/no decisions like "is this legal".

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 18, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The mask mandates already allowed passengers to remove them while eating or drinking, correct? And they never enforced any fit or quality requirements?

They were useless and pointless, pretty much every mask mandate in North America has been. Wear a high-quality, properly fitting mask and stop giving a poo poo about what other people do. Ever since I made that choice, my life has become so much better and less stressful, and I still have yet to get COVID despite tons of people at work getting it, meaning I've likely been exposed several times.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
On airplanes, yes. Many municipal transit networks in the US don't allow any sort of eating or drinking, it's more common in Canada because IIRC diabetics pressed the government to make a nationwide right for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Craptacular! posted:

On airplanes, yes. Many municipal transit networks in the US don't allow any sort of eating or drinking, it's more common in Canada because IIRC diabetics pressed the government to make a nationwide right for it.

Ah, interesting, I wasn't aware that the mandate extended to municipal or state-level systems in the US. Here in Canada, the mandates at the federal level concerning COVID protocols on public transportation only apply to federally-regulated transportation like inter-province trains and aviation as a whole. Provincial or municipal mandates have largely covered the remaining forms of public transportation.

I think that makes it a lot easier to make the case that some element of the regulation overstepped the boundaries allowed by law.