Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Even with small stuff like starfighters Star Wars isn't consistent with scale. Seems like the Y wing and B wing fluctuate about 50% in size depending on where you look. Not in the movies but in games and EU stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cerv posted:

where do they even find that many crew? when every planet in Star Wars seems to have the population of a small to medium sized town.

Well obviously, because the rest of the population got drafted to work on star destroyers

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"mid-2000s" more like "nerds never change"

One of my buddies was in the navy and claimed after morning PT, he could slack off a good chunk of the day just walking intently around base with two cups of coffee. Idk if bullshit or not but it's a great Star Wars b-plot. Trooper TK-69420 isn't shirking his duties, he's on a special mission for Admiral Fukko.

That’s the one.

And your buddy owns.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I want to make one of those but make all of the scales incredibly wrong just to annoy people

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Napoleon Nelson posted:

What gets me more than the size is the crewing:
Home One: 5,400 crews and gunners
Star Destroyer: 9,200 officers, 27,900 enlisted crew, 2,700 stormtroopers
And for comparison, the Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier: 508 officers, 3,800 enlisted

The Imperial Navy is really just a jobs program, isn't it?

Some quick estimates. Home One is about four times the length of the Ford. To get the volume difference we cube that to get 64.

So the crew "should" be 275,712 assuming an equivalent crew/volume ratio.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hazo posted:

Reminds me of those mid-2000s charts of sci fi spaceships showing how ridiculously and stupidly huge Star Wars and Trek ships were and, if I remember right, eventually led to a video where some nerd scientifically proved how taking the elevator turbo-elevator on the Enterprise from the shuttle bay to the bridge involved some form of magic in order to be possible.

And it’s really funny to me how the sizes of star destroyers throughout the movies range from 1 to 38 miles wide or long, meaning some random trooper could spend an entire day walking the length of the ship and back.

That's not the worst problem that a ship that big would have.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I like how it only gently nods at the turning problems caused and doesn't go into how in reality you would splatter your crew all over the inside walls with any unexpected motion at all.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

I like how it only gently nods at the turning problems caused and doesn't go into how in reality you would splatter your crew all over the inside walls with any unexpected motion at all.

Pretty sure that's what inertial dampeners and acceleration compensators are for

You'd still need a literal planet's worth of them though

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Vinylshadow posted:

Pretty sure that's what inertial dampeners and acceleration compensators are for

You'd still need a literal planet's worth of them though
Which apparently they didn't install, because the sewage is heading to the centre of mass of the ship.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

STAR WARS

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
STAR WARS

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That's not the worst problem that a ship that big would have.

not a picture but

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11685932/1/Instruments-of-Destruction

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Napoleon Nelson posted:

What gets me more than the size is the crewing:
Home One: 5,400 crews and gunners
Star Destroyer: 9,200 officers, 27,900 enlisted crew, 2,700 stormtroopers
And for comparison, the Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier: 508 officers, 3,800 enlisted

The Imperial Navy is really just a jobs program, isn't it?

I have no idea what all the jobs in a normal ship are, so I can't even really guess at what all those people would be doing. Like I know what a lot of the support positions might be, like what people would be needed to prepare, maintain, and pilot the aircraft, positions like kitchen staff, janitors, but I have no idea what people do in the actual running of the ship doing ship things. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if modern ships with all their computerization and new machines actually need less crew relative to their size than they used to (definitely less relative to the age of sail when they needed people to be climbing around manually pulling ropes).

Drawn up cross-sections of Star Destroyers seem to have really big sections that are just decks upon decks. All the important functions of the ship are isolated in the big wedge down below. I feel like there's probably big parts of that which could be just generic office space or a lot of paper pushers. Notably, Republic Venator Star Destroyers had a much less space up top for all those decks.

And then if you take a cross-section of an aircraft carrier-

no not like that

There's a lot less space dedicated to just crew decks proportionally.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you rotate the boat to closer map the Star Destroyer's angle it's a little less ludicrous. The crew quarters run about a third a length of the ship.

I like how the Star Destroyer's engines are almost as long and tall as the whole area where people live and work. That's the kind of character-over-function spaceship design that makes the Empire great. You know there's unsung Imperial Death Engineers down in that cavern, doing mechanical work on OSHA-incompliant catwalks.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
That ISD cross section doesn't answer the biggest question though: what's the little bulb on the bottom under the engine for?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

BiggestBatman posted:

That ISD cross section doesn't answer the biggest question though: what's the little bulb on the bottom under the engine for?

I've seen another cross section where it's the bottom of a gigantic reactor that almost reaches the top of the ship.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Here's a more detailed cutaway, to start, typical ISD:

"Xyston" class from Ep IX (literally just a 150% scale ISD I lol, specifically the nice 3D model ILM had from Rogue One).

The bulge is part of the reactor system that powers the whole ship. It's spherical (reaction containment vessel), we only see a bit of it coming through the otherwise unbroken line of the hull.

That the bulge is part of the reactor has settled pretty deeply in to the lore, if a new star destroyer design is supposed to be more powerful it's expected to have a bigger reactor bulge (or a fatter hull to accommodate one invisibly). The Ep IX "design" breaking this so horribly and lazily is one of the many reasons ship nerds hate it so much.

Here's a pretty good article about what factors inform real-life warship design (hint: propulsion and weapon systems consistently take up 66%+ of a warship's volume, everything else is wrapped and deformed to fit around them), he specifically calls out the ISD as being hilariously under-armed. https://acoup.blog/2019/12/20/collections-starships-in-silhouette/

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Squadrons answers it, but I can't remember what it actually is beyond "a thing to shoot at".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In Rogue Squadron it's a ventral shield projector.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Speaking of Rogue Squadron, I submit the cover of book 4 as the platonic ideal "Star Wars space battle image"

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Prolonged Panorama posted:

Speaking of Rogue Squadron, I submit the cover of book 4 as the platonic ideal "Star Wars space battle image"

:hmmyes:

That was one of the first EU books I read, in no small part due to the cover.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

same, although more because it was the only one we had in the house (??? dad must have bought it on the strength of the cover lol). It was a little confusing to drop in to the story at the end of a four part arc!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
As usual the A-Wing is far and away the most awesome craft. Look at that, pilot bagged two TIEs in one shot.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Paul Youll's art is fantastic

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

koshmar posted:

I was under the impression that the starships in Star Trek are reasonably sized and the the original Enterprise was supposed to be roughly the same length as the actual Enterprise Class aircraft carriers.

Star Wars on the other hand seems to have no internal logic for size.

Kind of, at least in the older series/movies. The hero ships/stations generally aren't too bad, especially the Enterprises from TOS (~350m) and TNG (~650m), and they had a lot of thought put into their designs from Matt Jefferies and Andrew Probert, respectively. Same with a lot of the alien ships, which rarely exceed about 1km in length. The biggest issue is that the sizes of some ships can vary wildly from episode to episode, or even shot to shot - the Defiant from DS9 and the Klingon Bird of Prey are probably the worst offenders. There's a few absolutely gigantic ships, but they're usually from ancient, long-lost civilizations (V'Ger from TMP, ~90km) or super advanced aliens (Borg Cube, ~3km on each side).

JJTrek and Discovery on the other hand, well they have the same problems as JJ's Star Wars movies. In Star Trek (2009), the Enterprise was initially about the same size as the original (~350m). However, based on the shots of the shuttlebay, which was way too huge to fit a 350m ship, Abrams simply doubled the size of Enterprise without changing any of the other exterior details so it's suddenly a ~700m ship with ridiculously huge windows. And then there was the dreadnought in Into Darkness which was twice that size again. The Discovery also started off at a reasonable size (~750m, although most of that length is in the ridiculously long engine nacelles) but apparently has a massive, several kilometres long void in the middle which the turbolifts travel through.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Paul Youll's art is fantastic

Youll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Spice. But yeah, it rules. Hadn't seen that last one before, found a high res version:

It's becoming clear to me that "giant background explosion" is a key element of the raddest Star Wars ship art.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Prolonged Panorama posted:

Youll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Spice. But yeah, it rules. Hadn't seen that last one before, found a high res version:

That's the most recent old EU book I've read. It has very little to do with the New Republic, gently caress all to do with the cover art, and seems to mostly be reprinted setup stories from the Journal RPG modules with none of the game rule text.

Really weird book.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As usual the A-Wing is far and away the most awesome craft. Look at that, pilot bagged two TIEs in one shot.

:hmmyes: I see you are a man of good taste.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yes, but the Y-wing is the workhorse of the Rebel fleet. It’s not quick or flashy, but it gets the job done. The armor on this ship is extensive, and the shields will protect you from just about anything, which is good because you won’t be going anywhere fast. The Y-wing is used mainly as a bomber, because it can carry a heavy payload of missiles, torpedos, and bombs. The other important weapon is the top-side ion cannon, which rather than destroying a target can disable it for later capture. Our cannons have a computer assisted auto-fire feature, so don’t forget that when you’re in the heat of battle.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I understand why they'd want to differentiate the ships for gameplay, but it's funny that the Y-Wing's design philosophy of "it's got giant engines and they pulled all the armor off to make it go even faster" ended up translating as "slow & durable" everywhere else.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

That "workhorse" poo poo is pure Y-Wing propaganda.

A-Wings took down the Executor and helped secure the first destruction of a Siege Dreadnought.

Name one cool thing a Y-Wing ever did.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

More like why wings.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Hazo posted:

That "workhorse" poo poo is pure Y-Wing propaganda.

A-Wings took down the Executor and helped secure the first destruction of a Siege Dreadnought.

Name one cool thing a Y-Wing ever did.

All the Rebel fighters are cool and good.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Roooooouge Squadron. This is General Rieken. One of our shuttles will rendezvous with a small convoy from local resistance on Barkhesh, which must first travel through imperial territory...

fartknocker posted:

V-Wing is terrible, prove me wrong.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 12, 2022

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

fartknocker posted:

This a actually a great answer, and I respect you even more fartknocker

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The X-wing is the F14, the Y-wing is the F15, and the A-wing is the F16.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
TIE fighter is the MiG 29, Interceptor is the Su-35, Bomber is the Su-34, Ka-52 is the Lamba shuttle, and Su-57 is one of those TIEs with way too many panels that exists in a quantum state of Schrödinger's canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

A-wing is definitely an F-16, no question. And I can buy the X-wing as an F-14, but then the Y-wing has to be like an A-6 or an F-111 or an F-4. The F-15 is too similar to the F-14, and it's also more advanced (and a better multirole airframe, despite initially being envisioned as a purely air-to-air platform), which is the wrong way around. But I'm open to further discussion.

One major airframe missing in the above is the F-18, and I think it's a better fit for the X-wing as a versatile jack of all trades, though an F-14 or F-15 could fit that description as well. But either way the Y-wing has to be an earlier model, or a more dedicated bomber or attack craft.

Crossposting from the Y-wing thread:

MiG 29 is too modern for a TIE, the OG TIE has to be like a MiG 19 or 21; firmly Vietnam era. I could buy the MiG 29 as an Interceptor though.