Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Huxley posted:

The whole comic is Arlo imagining how things might have turned out with the brilliant and successful artist Janis if this chance meeting with Cassandra hadn't ended up with them bitterly married for 50 years instead.

Fade out on Gene looking into a snowglobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Everyone pretty much called everything! If there's one thing Maruoka has proved time and again he's good at, it's leaning in to a trope and making a solid story out of it.

Night Visitors

Monya the Grey

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
*angrily banging on keyboard while smiling* i love this comic so much oh my god if monya and dorothy dont talk about staying friends forever im gonna go apeshit

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Doomykins posted:

*angrily banging on keyboard while smiling* i love this comic so much oh my god if monya and dorothy dont talk about staying friends forever im gonna go apeshit
*rhythmic clapping*
open up a portal so everyone can come & go as they please

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Murdstone posted:

Even if they weren't a thing, the term "comic book store" is pretty self-explanatory.

Exactly. Teenage Harry's response should have been "A store that just sells comic books? Sounds great!" instead of "what is this co-mic-book-store of which you speak?" Christ, Batiuk has gone back only 40 years with this story, he hasn't sent Crazy Harry to the Bronze Age or anything.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Howard Beale posted:

Exactly. Teenage Harry's response should have been "A store that just sells comic books? Sounds great!" instead of "what is this co-mic-book-store of which you speak?" Christ, Batiuk has gone back only 40 years with this story, he hasn't sent Crazy Harry to the Bronze Age or anything.
I'm pretty sure anyone from anywhere or anytime who has an understanding of the concept of a store would be able to figure out that a comic book store is a store which sells comic books, even if they don't know what a comic book is. :cripes:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
One of the early direct market comic book distributors was in Columbus. You'd think an Ohio kid would've at least had a passing familiarity with the concept.

Our Boarding House (September 29-October 1, 1921)

Toonerville Folks (December 26-28, 1918)

Dok's "Bagging A Bullmoose" Duck (January 19, 1914)

Little Lefty (April 30-May 3, 1936)

That parade was on May Day, just in case you'd forgotten for a moment that this was a Communist strip.

Blondie (From Zero) (November 9-11, 1931)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Pickles and Raw Meat Comics

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Since I screwed up this morning, here's Rhymes with Orange.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
So much for equality:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramercy_Park

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True April 21, 1919

And He Did! April 22, 1919

Cat Tales April 1, 1925

Oaky Doaks October 1, 1936

Mopsy December 9, 1937

Up Front March 14, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems June 20, 1952

Those Were the Days December 10, 1959

Wee Pals June 23, 1966

Dogbert March 8, 1967

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days December 10, 1959

Another year of Those Were the Days almost in the books, we're probably 5-7 updates away from the "Antiques?! We called it JUNK!" strip for January 1960.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Mar 4-5, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jun 25, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 15-16, 1990)

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

readingatwork posted:

Big Nate Year 1 (Mar 4-5, 1991)

So the number one thing I'm learning from the first year of Big Nate strips is that Nate is a huge rear end in a top hat.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann ain't loading for me today. The Featured Comment indicates that Bernice makes an appearance in this one, so all y'all better count your blessings.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days

Everyone pretty much called everything! If there's one thing Maruoka has proved time and again he's good at, it's leaning in to a trope and making a solid story out of it.

We haven't been introduced to the handsome and capable, yet shy regular customer yet, but whenever this hat-wearing mofo shows up, they better kiss.

JethroMcB posted:

Another year of Those Were the Days almost in the books, we're probably 5-7 updates away from the "Antiques?! We called it JUNK!" strip for January 1960.

"B-b-but, Boss! What with all these taxes, I can't afford for you to give me a raise!!"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah Big Nate is going back to eye slide status for me. Terrible art, no real jokes, just a classic "got the job and stuck with it by sheer inertia" comic.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Twelve by Pies posted:

So the number one thing I'm learning from the first year of Big Nate strips is that Nate is a huge rear end in a top hat.

Same, lol.

Doomykins posted:

Yeah Big Nate is going back to eye slide status for me. Terrible art, no real jokes, just a classic "got the job and stuck with it by sheer inertia" comic.

So far it's getting a solid "C" grade from me. Perfectly readable and largely inoffensive but also not really something you'd actively seek if you weren't posting it on a dead gay forum for that sweet, sweet internet clout.

Also on the subject of the art I skipped ahead a bit to see how quickly it improves and lmao it's like watching the cast age in reverse.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 12, 2022

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Green Intern posted:

They shot rice from a gun

Indeed they did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGpS6LHeBC0

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Twelve by Pies posted:

I feel I remember this being true of the strip when it was posted in one of the past threads so I don't think it was just the first year lol

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Murdstone posted:

I never saw it, I just read the review on the front page
I always feel bad when I forget there's a front page.

quote:

The Phantom

I tried but I'm terrible.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Julet Esqu posted:

We haven't been introduced to the handsome and capable, yet shy regular customer yet, but whenever this hat-wearing mofo shows up, they better kiss.
A finger curls on the monkey's paw, and it's the same guy from Uramachi Sakaba. It turns out he spends all his free time flirting with bartenders(but never actually kissing them).

Doomykins posted:

I made it about a week before going "yeah this isn't worth the 20 seconds it takes to read".

Schwarzwald posted:

Rarebit is an excellent comic but honestly the framing narrative holds it back. It'd be on another level if it was just strange things with no explanation. Or if it threw a curveball every once in a while, like this (great) edit.
Agreed. At least the "oh no why did I eat rarebit" part is contained in an easily-ignored last panel.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
I've been thinking about it and I think they should make a Powerful Katrinka movie with a big budget

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 05, 2000)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Giving me runnies replace vibes

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

This one got me pretty good

Vater und Sohn: Consider the lobster (13/1937)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Arlo and Janice is, I would argue, one of the S-tier strips posted here - sure, there are comics with better art (I know, I post one) but the level of wholesomeness, charm, humour with the flavour of endearing, Jucika-esque horniness makes it not only unique, but very, very good.

Also:

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne

I am very glad Norwegian baby stayed safe.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Retail

Get Fuzzy 4/11/02

Brenda Starr 7/12-14/48

Smokey Stover 4/13/47

Back to recycled gags again.

Everyday Movies 1/14/35

"Give me a ring some time, Egbert -- our neighbor's phone is Manhattan 3-4272."

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

readingatwork posted:

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

I like that I can't tell now whether this is botched slight of hand or some actual magical power that doesn't work the way she expects it to

Haifisch posted:

A finger curls on the monkey's paw, and it's the same guy from Uramachi Sakaba. It turns out he spends all his free time flirting with bartenders(but never actually kissing them).

This is impossible, everyone knows that the antiques guy made a huge find that set him up for life, so he married the owner, they gifted the bar to Emi, and then they retired to a lovely house in the countryside that is only occasionally menaced but never destroyed by giant radioactive monsters :colbert:

manero posted:

Nancy 1947

Normally I find eye dialect annoying but I appreciate that Sluggo's commitment to it is so strong that he writes that way too

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 17, 1950)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

If anyone else was curious about that phone

from 1976, apparently. And the top result for "Micky Mouse phone" so I guess not very obscure, but I've never seen one before.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jucika "148 - Jucika Is Making A Phone Call"

"149 - Jucika's Second Shift"

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

from 1976, apparently. And the top result for "Micky Mouse phone" so I guess not very obscure, but I've never seen one before.

It can also be seen early on in A Goofy Movie! :eng101:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Samovar posted:

Arlo and Janice is, I would argue, one of the S-tier strips posted here - sure, there are comics with better art (I know, I post one) but the level of wholesomeness, charm, humour with the flavour of endearing, Jucika-esque horniness makes it not only unique, but very, very good.

It's a nice balance to FOOB, which belongs in the dumpster

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann ain't loading for me today. The Featured Comment indicates that Bernice makes an appearance in this one, so all y'all better count your blessings.

Do you have an ad blocker in place? It wasn't loading for me either but then I put AdGuard on pause and suddenly:

Yep we're doing this crap again!

quote:

"B-b-but, Boss! What with all these taxes, I can't afford for you to give me a raise!!"

To be fair to Beeman, that horny old crank, before Regan and Co. started tearing the tax code to shreds there were a lot more tax brackets that scaled to significantly higher rates than anybody pays today. Here's the tax brackets for calendar year 1959 - seems to me that if you were sitting at the high end of a bracket and you got a modest raise, your tax rate could jump enough that it would not only negate the raise itself but eat into your previous take-home amount.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
A young couple kissing while fully clothed? In public! How did this filth get past the editor.
I will admit that it's weird that they're both kneeling down.

And I believe that tax brackets have always worked that the new taxation applies only to the money earned beyond whatever threshold.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mr. Squishy posted:

And I believe that tax brackets have always worked that the new taxation applies only to the money earned beyond whatever threshold.

Yes. It's somewhat common for withholding to be done in a way that looks like you are making less on each paycheck but you will have a larger refund.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

Yes. It's somewhat common for withholding to be done in a way that looks like you are making less on each paycheck but you will have a larger refund.

I used to argue with people that this was dumb because you obviously aren't saving any money and in fact are giving the government a no-interest loan by letting them hold your money for an entire year before giving back to you (which is true). Then someone pointed out that people know this and aren't stupid, but plan specifically around it because they recognize their spending habits and it might be the only time in a calendar year they see $1k in one place at one time. So I let it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was hoping the last panel would actually be Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

This took way too long (most of which was spent on duplicating the Mouthful UI prompt) so hope it's at least mildly amusing.