Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s probably the last deck box I’ll ever buy, so I’m considering splurging a little. It’s also the only time I’ve ever given the Prof a dime for the 5+ years I’ve been watching his content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I'm getting one regular Prof package one, and another Prof package but with all the exclusive alt art on the box, playmat, life counter, those candy looking +1/+1 tokens and some treasure merfolk, and dry erase tokens.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s probably the last deck box I’ll ever buy, so I’m considering splurging a little. It’s also the only time I’ve ever given the Prof a dime for the 5+ years I’ve been watching his content

Yeah this is kind of how I'm viewing it, like I'll probably only use those cheapo toolboxes for storage after this so why not splurge a little? Currently amping myself up to pledge for a second box. Already getting the library playmat and those cool tokens :getin:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

http://mythicspoiler.com/CAP/cards/luxiorgiadasgift.html

Nice of them to add another card to abuse Devoted Druid with.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

Well SOMEONE needs to be Gideon, may as well be my Nahiri, The Lithomancer. Also that needle sword looks like it's got a liqueur in it called Viniq.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

And it can be tutored for by Urzas Saga and equipment tutors, even!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
x-posting from MTG sales thread:

Got a sort of unusual pitch

I’m trying to sell this Commander deck. Ideal for new, current, or lapsed players who want a nice mid-power battlecruiser deck that has lots of bling, or maybe a gift for your partner or friend who has been meaning to get into the game but doesn’t have the time or know-how to brew and build a deck.

My Moxfield Link says the deck is approximately $205 on TCG low, without any of the accessories. I am asking for $200 + Shipping for

The Deck
-sleeved & double sleeved
-Custom Alter Sleeves so that the Commander exclusive mutants match the Ikoria showcase frames

and I’m also including the Satin Tower orange deck box and both sets of dice. This is absolutely everything you or your recipient would need to sit down at almost any table and have a good, balanced game with fun and cool cards

I’ve collected foil showcase versions of every mutant and the deck looks really great in action, like a little museum of cool alternate arts. I’ll also include all the little custom alters I made by cutting up the giant oversized Otrimis that come with the Precon.

I know this isn’t the normal kind of sale but I just wanna make room for more stuff and I’ve had to power this deck down multiple times and it still just deletes my playgroup unless they gang up on me. Rather than start breaking up the shiny foil mutant family I have chosen to sell it to a good home (where you can piece it out on your own).

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 11, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m trying to sell this Commander deck. Ideal for new, current, or lapsed players who want a nice mid-power battlecruiser deck that has lots of bling, or maybe a gift for your partner or friend who has been meaning to get into the game but doesn’t have the time or know-how to brew and build a deck.

My Moxfield Link says the deck is approximately $205 on TCG low, without any of the accessories. I am asking for $200 + Shipping for

The Deck
-Custom Alter Sleeves so that the Commander exclusive mutants match the Ikoria showcase frames

and I’m also including the Satin Tower orange deck box and both sets of dice. This is absolutely everything you or your recipient would need to sit down at almost any table and have a good, balanced game with fun and cool cards

I’ve collected foil showcase versions of every mutant and the deck looks really great in action, like a little museum of cool alternate arts. I’ll also include all the little custom alters I made by cutting up the giant oversized Otrimis that come with the Precon.

I know this isn’t the normal kind of sale but I just wanna make room for more stuff and I’ve had to power this deck down multiple times and it still just deletes my playgroup unless they gang up on me. Rather than start breaking up the shiny foil mutant family I have chosen to sell it to a good home (where you can piece it out on your own).

Just out of curiosity, do you have the previous versions written out (or does Moxfield keep a history)? Curious about the levels of power the deck went through.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I cut BoP and Deathrite, originally the entire mana base was untapped except for Zagoth Triome, and instead of the bland mana rocks I had more premium spot removal like rear end Trophy and Abrupt Decay. I refuse to cut down on the mutants because there aren’t that many of them and I only really play the good ones. The X-Spells are there because… it’s an X-Men theme deck… and I had to cut Agadeem’s Awakening because my opponents would exhaust their resources clearing my board again and again and I would just put 5 mutants back into play. The only other merciful cuts I could make would be the mutate bases, Needle Specter and Cephalid Constable, because when they swing on T4 as a 6/6 flying trample it’s functionally the same as dealing them 10 poison, they are removed from the game.

The “problem”, such as it is, is that the deck has a mini-primetime. Every game just becomes “Oh look, Auspicious Starrix is here, now I will funnel all mana and resources into triggering them over and over” and it’s just sooooooo much more linear than I’d envisioned, but once you’re in a boardstate looking at what’s happening, it just always makes the most sense to dump your deck directly into play for free. I wouldn’t cut him because it’s a mutate deck and he’s the definitive best mutant, but I don’t like it when a deck has obvious power outliers like this.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

I cut BoP and Deathrite, originally the entire mana base was untapped except for Zagoth Triome, and instead of the bland mana rocks I had more premium spot removal like rear end Trophy and Abrupt Decay. I refuse to cut down on the mutants because there aren’t that many of them and I only really play the good ones. The X-Spells are there because… it’s an X-Men theme deck… and I had to cut Agadeem’s Awakening because my opponents would exhaust their resources clearing my board again and again and I would just put 5 mutants back into play. The only other merciful cuts I could make would be the mutate bases, Needle Specter and Cephalid Constable, because when they swing on T4 as a 6/6 flying trample it’s functionally the same as dealing them 10 poison, they are removed from the game.

The “problem”, such as it is, is that the deck has a mini-primetime. Every game just becomes “Oh look, Auspicious Starrix is here, now I will funnel all mana and resources into triggering them over and over” and it’s just sooooooo much more linear than I’d envisioned, but once you’re in a boardstate looking at what’s happening, it just always makes the most sense to dump your deck directly into play for free. I wouldn’t cut him because it’s a mutate deck and he’s the definitive best mutant, but I don’t like it when a deck has obvious power outliers like this.

Or... Bear with me here... We add Plague Stinger and Phyrexian Crusader!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If I was gonna do Sultai Infect it would just be nu-Volrath, the infect suite, and then all the best Giant Growths…

Goddamn that sounds fun…

and I AM suddenly lacking a Sultai deck

…goddammit

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

If I was gonna do Sultai Infect it would just be nu-Volrath, the infect suite, and then all the best Giant Growths…

Goddamn that sounds fun…

and I AM suddenly lacking a Sultai deck

…goddammit

According to keikaku

E:

Man, the $300 from selling this deck would sure come in handy right about now...

E2:

Went to that Commander Night at my local LGS again and got an insane start with my stupid Riku deck. Something like:

1) Sol Ring
2) Wood Elves
3) Conjurer's Closet
4) Myr Battlesphere
5) Craterhoof

Got a lot of passive aggressive comments from one dude about the power level of my deck. Like, I'm sorry dude! The deck doesn't normally perform like that, lol.

We played another game (I was using a different deck) and he spent the majority of the time recurring a Strip Mine and nuking my lands.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 12, 2022

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

lmao what a salty bitch

If your deck gets a one in a million lucky pop off like that, everyone at the table should just nod in approval and reshuffle for the next game

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

This looks like it could be a cool commander to build around:

http://mythicspoiler.com/CAP/cards/toluzcleverconductor.html

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Batterypowered7 posted:

This looks like it could be a cool commander to build around:

http://mythicspoiler.com/CAP/cards/toluzcleverconductor.html

I think this is the first time we've seen two different two-color hybrid manas on a card? Reaper King had the 2/X ones.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Batterypowered7 posted:

We played another game (I was using a different deck) and he spent the majority of the time recurring a Strip Mine and nuking my lands.
The one time I went to the MtG club in my college someone did this to me. His deck cost more than everyone else's put together and the other players were unwilling to focus him and he won every game he played with trivial ease. I never went back.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Elysiume posted:

The one time I went to the MtG club in my college someone did this to me. His deck cost more than everyone else's put together and the other players were unwilling to focus him and he won every game he played with trivial ease. I never went back.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Like, how is that fun for anyone involved, including the deck owner? And then just playing that same deck multiple times? :psyduck:

I've merged two playgroups together and for a New Capenna release party it'll be like 3.5 groups all playing together and every group before starting always asks how hard/spicy we're gonna go.

And when a deck just gets to go off from turn 1 yeah you cheese it up and let it roll cause that feeling is so loving goooooooood when it happens to you

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I'm thinking some sort of Voltron build for Toluz where you grow her through connive and then get to refill your hand if/when she gets killed. The deck could have a cycling subtheme since you'd get those cards back when she dies, even if cycling itself won't grow her.

E:

Okay, maybe the connive idea was stupid 'cause there's probably not enough good cards/repeatable effects.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 12, 2022

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

This doesn't make any sense to me. Like, how is that fun for anyone involved, including the deck owner? And then just playing that same deck multiple times? :psyduck:

I've merged two playgroups together and for a New Capenna release party it'll be like 3.5 groups all playing together and every group before starting always asks how hard/spicy we're gonna go.

And when a deck just gets to go off from turn 1 yeah you cheese it up and let it roll cause that feeling is so loving goooooooood when it happens to you

A guy in my group rolls a die to pick who he swings at, and every time he does we (playfully) call him a coward. We all know how this must end

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

A guy in my group rolls a die to pick who he swings at, and every time he does we (playfully) call him a coward. We all know how this must end

Might as well be playing Ruhan

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Whenever someone attempts to roll a die to attack, I stop them and ask them why, and then point out whose life total matters and why. If they continue to random roll after that, I don’t play with them anymore. Some people just have soft, doughy brains and I don’t wanna waste time playing bad games with RNG dorks who are scared of making enemies because they threw 3 chip damage at the black Aristocrats player

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 12, 2022

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
It's just very simple brained politicking "Hey I didn't choose to attack you, it was the dice!"
Also the number of people I see who do the "[x] has the highest life total so i'll attack them" as a sort of free pass for "that means you aren't allowed to get mad and exact revenge on me"
I'm not going to bear a grudge for you attacking me for 2 when i'm on 38 and someone else is on 40 still.
But maybe the person who is starting to assemble an egine of destruction could have a bit more pressure on their life so they have to hold up mana to respond and/or might have to chump with those creatures with spicy rules text on?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I proxied Bust Rodd's SLAMpires and get absolutely demolished every time I play it 'cause people know how out of hand Edgar can get. Just painting a big ol' target on my back, lol.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I roll a die as a joke if nobody has any blockers, it's basically a chump attack, and it's like turn 2. I expect to get called a coward, it's mostly just a joke, but it's definitely come back to bite me in the end, lol.

I was playing a bit ago and one player could've taken out another, who arguably had the strongest deck (just not at the time) but instead he swung his player-killing creature at me so it could get chump blocked. That kind of soured me on that game, cause then the person with the strongest deck... won. After like half an hour of just those two players playing. :psyduck:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Rolling a die is weak politics. Explaining to the table why you are the underdog and how another player can steal the game in a single turn while you bop them in the noggin with your dude and then you steal the game with the pressure off you is the real big brain times.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Look sometimes you just need to make an enemy and you don't have enough of a grudge against any particular person

Sometimes you're way out ahead and you just want the table to know you're toying with their lives

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just lost a savage cEDH goon game because Winota correctly assessed the only way they could beat me (Heliod) was by letting the Blood Pod pilot farm them for resources in order to slow me down. I was biting through tongue while I watched Tana and Tymna just effortlessly waltz between an army of angry vigilant 6/6’s, but the Jedi Mindcraft at play was honorable, I’m used to controlling the board through fear but apparently our new Winota pilot has also read DUNE lol

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Everyone brings their tribal warrior decks?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Broke: Rolling a die to decide whom to attack.

Woke: Rolling a die to decide how many creatures to attack with.

Bespoke: Rolling a die to bluff the table into thinking you're leaving it up to RNG.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I don’t even “play” Commander at all, I just build a deck and then roll a die for every decision in a game, letting Lady Luck pilot my deck for me. Truly the ultimate casual play style.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Bust Rodd posted:

The Deck

Heavily interested in this, but lacking the funds. If you still have this within a month-ish, I will most likely dm you.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

http://mythicspoiler.com/CAP/cards/smugglersstash.html

If only this wasn't 6 mana.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Oh cool Green can make any color of mana now.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

now???

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I hate sounding like a broken record but honestly I really don’t understand how this isn’t a white card, green should be the MANA color, not the TREASURE color (yes there’s a difference dont @me)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

'cause they poo poo the bed with Smothering Tithe so they were afraid to put the effect back in white.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Smothering tithe is literally fine, if everyone pays every time then everyone is slowed down to roughly the same speed. If I spend four mana and everyone just pay as for it every time then it takes two turns for me to get my mana value out of it.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I just built prosper and I know they couldn't let that card be red

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

TheLawinator posted:

I just built prosper and I know they couldn't let that card be red

Consider Brass’s Bounty, a sorcery that replicates this effect once, at 7 mana. Brass’s Bounty sees widespread in a variety of power levels. Halo Stash is going to be ubiquitous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Consider Brass’s Bounty, a sorcery that replicates this effect once, at 7 mana. Brass’s Bounty sees widespread in a variety of power levels. Halo Stash is going to be ubiquitous

I had no idea that card existed but edhrec says it's in like 20k+ decks, ha.

Halo Stash will be a battlecruiser staple, but it probably shouldn't since it doesn't accelerate you at all for 2+ turns, you can get mana reflection for that, but I admit I'm super underestimating all the fringe b benefits of making a million artifact tokens over the next few turns.