Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

spaceblancmange posted:

Vince instead of Trump as President. Discuss.

We're at war with Sweden because Vince McMahon chased their prime minister around the UN building with his soiled underpants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

spaceblancmange posted:

Steroids are mandatory, and Big Boss Man would be the head of the Department of Homeland Security.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Right to Censor gets its own cabinet position.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

Steroids are mandatory, and Big Boss Man would be the head of the Department of Homeland Security.

I have some bad news about the Big Bossman

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

What season of Decker is this from???

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

spaceblancmange posted:

All of America's critical infrastructure is diverted to support the XFL. It fails anyway.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i think vince has the capability to feel shame while trump doesnt imo.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

Iron Sheikh tasked with securing peace in the Middle East, undoubtedly does better than Kushner.

He’s gently caress Netanyahu’s rear end, make him humble.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bogus Adventure posted:

Obviously The Genius is secretary of education.
Sgt slaughter is secretary of defense.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Is a Metal Gear joke too obvious?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Gonna plug a Youtube Channel I've found that's basically video essays on 90's wrestling where they do some fairly deep dives on different angles/matches/etc

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIf44toFAHLORJ8dwEQkh9g

It's a bit dry, but very well researched stuff, for example, I didn't know that the '95 Summerslam Ladder match was during a policy in WWF where weapons weren't allowed, so Razor and Michaels had to create a match where they didn't hit each other with the ladder, although they did "accidentally" a few times. Some pretty good background youtube if you like the topic.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TheSwizzler posted:

Gonna plug a Youtube Channel I've found that's basically video essays on 90's wrestling where they do some fairly deep dives on different angles/matches/etc

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIf44toFAHLORJ8dwEQkh9g

It's a bit dry, but very well researched stuff, for example, I didn't know that the '95 Summerslam Ladder match was during a policy in WWF where weapons weren't allowed, so Razor and Michaels had to create a match where they didn't hit each other with the ladder, although they did "accidentally" a few times. Some pretty good background youtube if you like the topic.

One of that guy's videos features a tangent where he calls me out for an old article I wrote where I briefly mentioned that Kama/Godfather/Papa Shango wasn't very good in the ring, so gently caress that guy.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Gavok posted:

One of that guy's videos features a tangent where he calls me out for an old article I wrote where I briefly mentioned that Kama/Godfather/Papa Shango wasn't very good in the ring, so gently caress that guy.

That's on you for angering the wide-reaching Papa Shango fandom

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Gavok posted:

idk how you could say that after watching him feud with the ultimate warrior

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Oh wow, okay, I did happen upon the specific video by accident and I'm kinda with the youtube guy (though I agree it's definitely a bit weird that he'd go specifically after your statement given how much ink has been spilled everywhere)

Do you really think Charles Wright was one of the WWF's worst workers in company history? He's definitely nothing to write home about and has never had a standout match but in a world of Friar Furgeson, Road Dogg, Mantaur and Giant Gonzales, he wasn't really stinking up the joint to a level it was notable. Was this just nerdsite writing hyperbole?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gavok posted:

Shango's shoulder breaker finisher immediately disqualifies him from that.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

The Papa Shango silent majority has awoken

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was into wrestling in threw early 90s, when it was guys like Razor Ramon and Papa Django, and also I was like 9 so I entirely failed to realize how racist those personas and characters were. Like until recently my recollection would have been that the former was an Italian American character and the latter was a mildly racist Baron Samedi thing. Watching it again 30 years later has been a trip.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Elephant Ambush posted:

I have some bad news about the Big Bossman

Oops, my mistake. It will be another man with a goatee sporting the name Big Bossman because that's what Vince would do.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is a Metal Gear joke too obvious?

Nothing is too obvious for wrestling

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

TheSwizzler posted:

Friar Furgeson, Road Dogg, Mantaur and Giant Gonzales

For quite a while, it was possible to convince people on the internet that any terrible wrestler had some absolute mat classics during their brief run in Japan, if you're lucky enough to ever find the tapes. "I'm telling you, Brian Knobbs and Giant Baba had Korakuen on their feet."

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

TheSwizzler posted:

Oh wow, okay, I did happen upon the specific video by accident and I'm kinda with the youtube guy (though I agree it's definitely a bit weird that he'd go specifically after your statement given how much ink has been spilled everywhere)

Do you really think Charles Wright was one of the WWF's worst workers in company history? He's definitely nothing to write home about and has never had a standout match but in a world of Friar Furgeson, Road Dogg, Mantaur and Giant Gonzales, he wasn't really stinking up the joint to a level it was notable. Was this just nerdsite writing hyperbole?

Was road dogg that bad?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
papa shango made ultimate warrior have seizures and vomit green goo so he owns

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

papa shango made ultimate warrior have seizures and vomit green goo so he owns

terrified me as a child

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

gbs but from 2004 posted:

Was road dogg that bad?

oh, you didn't know?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TheSwizzler posted:

Most of those names, while worse than Wright were also just a flash in the pan.

Papa Shango was a killer gimmick with a great look, but his matches were plodding dogshit. He's fondly remembered because of the Ultimate Warrior's acting, which says a lot.

The Godfather was just "tall Road Dogg." He was charismatic, which translated to a repetitive opening match spiel and a popular spot he'd do in every match that was "taunt + regular move." That was all he had. I mean, I think his finisher was the Death Valley Driver, but hell if I can remember him using it. Godfather was the first time I remember noticing WWF's crowd sweetening. It was a taped Raw and Godfather had a match or brawl with Tiger Ali Singh that was so bad looking that you could see the crowd booing the poo poo out of it despite the cheering audio they were playing over it.

In the article I was writing, I was talking about Kama the Supreme Fighting Machine and that was Wright at his worst (except maybe the Goodfather). He lacked the badass of Papa Shango or the fun of the Godfather. He was just this lanky, uncoordinated attempt to be an MMA guy before that was really a thing. He only had one high-profile match during that whole run, where he was treated as the end boss to the Undertaker's extremely long feud with the Million Dollar Corporation, which was certainly a choice.

Maybe he's not on the level of Giant Gonzalez or Great Khali, but I would label Wright as slightly worse than, say, Titus O'Neil.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

spaceblancmange posted:

oh, you didn't know?

I really walked into that one. I guess my rear end better call somebody

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
I relistened to the Attitude Era Podcast the other day and it was fun to hear them realise that the New Age Outlaws, who they had remembered fondly, were actually just having the same match over and over again.

I went through the same arc with Enzo and Cass before they both imploded.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Her Dryer posted:

I relistened to the Attitude Era Podcast the other day and it was fun to hear them realise that the New Age Outlaws, who they had remembered fondly, were actually just having the same match over and over again.

Yeah, Road Dogg's move set was extremely limited to basic moves with added taunts. His go-to moves were "punch, punch, punch, dance, punch" and "dance, knee drop." His finisher was "pretend to hump the opponent, pump handle slam," but he rarely ever used that. It worked fine when he was in tag matches because he could sprinkle those moves out throughout the match.

When he was in a singles match and he'd do the punch combo followed by the knee drop, that was a signal that this was going to be an extremely short match for one reason or another.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

gbs but from 2004 posted:

Was road dogg that bad?

Man I hate Road Dogg

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i picked up wrestling empire on steam, its a goddamn shitshow

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The New Age Outlaws were one of the worst tag teams ever and I always hated both of them and it's nice to finally see some of the people wearing rose colored glasses come around.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

True, but they had top tier entrance songs.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

The New Age Outlaws were one of the worst tag teams ever and I always hated both of them and it's nice to finally see some of the people wearing rose colored glasses come around.

Ironically Billy "Mr. rear end" Gunn is having a career renaissance in AEW. Not saying he's a super great wrestler or anything but he does seem to be having a lot of fun tagging with his sons and generally being around for people to ask questions to and stuff

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Her Dryer posted:

Yet another good comparison to shonen anime there. And poo poo like Power Rangers, who outright use stock footage. It's repetitive, but sometimes you just like that poo poo anyway.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Elephant Ambush posted:

i dont care, 14 year old me thought they were awesome and thats how it will stay

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

GolfHole posted:

i picked up wrestling empire on steam, its a goddamn shitshow

Yeah it's full on jank and it owns. I'm having a blast with it.

Bogus Adventure posted:

True, but they had top tier entrance songs.

I hated their song too because every time I heard the opening riff I knew the next 10 minutes of the show would suck.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

There really was kinda a whole attitude era crop of wrestlers who didn't really "do" anything in the ring, they just kinda showed up and did their catchphrases/taunts and punched their way through the matches, personally I thought Road Dogg was the worst of the bunch. The Godfather fits the bill too but at least they made it so that half the time he wouldn't even have a match. X-Pac turned into one of these in spite of actually being good in the ring when he tried. Billy Gunn too but he was actually okay to good with the right opponent

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Man, I hated X-Pac. Still do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

On another note, AEW Dynamite looks to be must-watch tonight. Seven matches and presumably an overrun that will go up to 30 minutes.

Namely we're getting Minori Suzuki vs. Samoa Joe and CM Punk vs. Penta Oscuro. There's barely any story to either of those other than "holy poo poo dream match."