Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
I love my Grabber ATX, basically the same tread design as the K02 but with a studdable option

Solar Coaster fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Big K of Justice posted:

Yes, but with air there's usually a hose system with some sort of manifold/valuing system + a pump of some sort. Basically it'll pump up to a certain PSI and hold that pressure in the line to keep the lockers locked then release it when it doesn't need it any more.

Yup, it's this. Air pressure = locker is locked, no air pressure = open.

I have an entirely home-brewed setup using a Viair 88p hooked to a manifold but no other air storage, and it will cycle the compressor pretty much any time I engage the lockers, but then it will hold without running the compressor again for 5-10 minutes or more. The compressor runtime for engaging the locker is only a few seconds anyway. ARB's purpose-built compressors come with a soda can sized air tank built into them.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I really like my goodyear duratracs. I have the E-load rating in LT285/75/16. They do really well offroad, better than they have any right to be in mud, decent in sand, and I've put thousands of miles of heavy towing on them. They are ABSOLUTE TRASH in the snow, though.

For winter I have E-load winterforces in the same size. They are an amazing snow tire and i have no complaints about their performance in snow, on pavement, towing, towing in a blizzard, etc.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I miss the OG Winterforces, the new ones don't look like they'll do as well on muddy dirt roads as they used to. Which do you have?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kastein posted:

I miss the OG Winterforces, the new ones don't look like they'll do as well on muddy dirt roads as they used to. Which do you have?

I have the OG blocky ones. The new ones have more siping and closer tread blocks. Probably better on ice and quieter on the highway, at the expense of worse performance in situations where you need clearing action. Mushy snow, mud, etc.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have the Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure with Kevlar currently. They're fine on dry stuff. They're bad on wet stuff. And they were okay in snow when they were new, but now they're less than okay. My biggest complaint is the tread life. I'm at 4/32 with 23k miles on them, which means I'm definitely not making it past 30k.

I am planning on going up in size from 255/65/17 (30" x 10") to a 255/75/17 (32" x 10"). I think going bigger or wider than that is going to cause issues and I don't want to trim anything.

Anyway. I think the poor wet road performance is just endemic to the AT design. I'd even consider a HT tire for all of the on-road benefits, but I am concerned about durability more than grip on the off-road stuff.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

I've been running the falken wildpeak at3s in western Oregon for 3 years or so now and they don't worry me one bit on our frequently wet roads.

Only problems I've noticed were the tire shop had trouble balancing them and they might be wearing a little fast. I figure the cheap price I got em for makes up for a little premature wear though.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I've run BFG KOs and KO2s in various sizes collectively for something like 20 years now. I don't think they're the end-all be-all of AT tires, but they've rarely let me down and I keep coming back to them.

Pros
- wear extremely well. I've gotten serious serious mileage out of a few pairs
- very durable
- relatively quiet
- surprisingly good in snow

Cons
- heavy
- they're getting to be on the expensive side
- will not self clean properly in mud
- surprisingly bad on oily/wet pavement

I have 255/75/r17 C rated BFG KO2s on my truck now, a 2019 toyota tacoma w/ 3" lift. I had 265/65r17 E rated on before the lift. I'm looking at 35ishs now, whether thats a 315/75r17 in BFG KO2, or a 35x10.50 Kenda Klever RT. Toyota trucks have a bunch of weird poo poo about tire width because of how they do the steering alignment; a lotta dudes cut the cab mount :stare: so they can fit larger tires, but uh.... thats not just how the cab stays attached to the frame, thats what prevents the tire being crushed into your legs in an accident. No dice :colbert:

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 6, 2022

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

I don't think the body mount chop is inherently bad as long as it is reinforced correctly. I.E., notch and re-plate, don't just cut til it fits and send it.

I have personally used BFG ATs on quite a few vehicles over the last 20+ years. I've never had any major issue with them on their intended surfaces, even wet roads that people like to complain about. I think it's really vehicle and condition specific. The tread pattern looks fantastic and works, but they are usually a bit undersized and expensive. And nowadays you have some of the more budget friendly brands coming out with good looking and performing tires, so it's hard to justify the additional expense. I went with the newer kenda A/T on my GX460 and they were under 650 for the set of 4 (255/70/18). They probably have more road noise, but I can deal with that for now.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

My 4runner has BFG K02's. Very poor in wet conditions on the road. I have to be very careful when it's raining.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I got MT KM2's which is .. not great on slick asphalt... it's worse on the H1 since I need a load range E tire usually at 37" so the BFG AT KO/KO2 are my usual go tos. I remember tires being the first thing I got for it, I drove down the mountains during a rain storm with the military style Wrangler MT's and epp... slip and slide. GSA's were the normal tire spec but were phased out 18 years ago, Looking at what's there if I want a more on road/less slippy tire I have a few cooper/Nitto/Yokohama tires.

I'll probably wind up going back to the BFG AT's. I'm also looking at doubling by braking power by switching out my oem brakes to wilwood kit.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

arbybaconator posted:

My 4runner has BFG K02's. Very poor in wet conditions on the road. I have to be very careful when it's raining.

What generation 4runner? AWD or in 2wd? How old are they? What size, load range, pressure? Not trying to say you are full of poo poo at all, I think there are a lot of variables that play into this & I'd like to understand what they are. I also wonder about the difference between what came on a vehicle from the factory (I believe some 4runners had them in the teens, and some JK or JLs had them as well) vs what you get from the tire shop. I've heard a lot of guys having issues on full size trucks and mixed reviews on midsize rigs.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Not sure if I asked this question already, but here it is again if I did.

Going to extend the differential breather on my Tacoma today, should I use teflon tape or thread dope on the threads for the fitting that goes in to the diff?

I've heard no, but some of the threads that I've seen people do it on, they have used it. It appears to be a tapered thread, which IIRC are *supposed* to seal via thread distortion or whatever the gently caress, but in my own experience with NPT fittings, in practice that doesn't always work as intended

E: used thread dope anyway because gently caress it what's the worst that could happen?

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 12, 2022

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I’m a huge fan of the toyo tyres over the BFG’s having run both over the years. Their MT’s have better on and off-road manners, are more resistant to damage and wear better than the BFG MT’s and their AT’s are about the same. That was KO2’s vs the AT2, but now there’s an AT3 out in the US we haven’t gotten in Australia yet.

The only downside of the toyo muddies is that they’re HEAVY.

In other news I finally got sick of being trapped at home and pissed off for the long weekend. No 4wding, just sitting around with friends relaxing and doing a bit of bush cleanup while we’re here.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Paulie posted:

What generation 4runner? AWD or in 2wd? How old are they? What size, load range, pressure? Not trying to say you are full of poo poo at all, I think there are a lot of variables that play into this & I'd like to understand what they are. I also wonder about the difference between what came on a vehicle from the factory (I believe some 4runners had them in the teens, and some JK or JLs had them as well) vs what you get from the tire shop. I've heard a lot of guys having issues on full size trucks and mixed reviews on midsize rigs.

6 months old. 2021 TRD Pro

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

arbybaconator posted:

6 months old. 2021 TRD Pro

Wow, interesting. And they are the factory tires?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

No. It came with Nitto Ridge Grapplers standard. These were an upgrade. Love the tires - just a little slippery when on wet pavement

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

The truck is getting sold tomorrow so I guess it doesn’t really matter anyway

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

So the State of Colorado apparently decided on a whim that Commercial Hummers / H1's built from 1992-2006 are no longer road legal and are revoking titles and issuing OHV only titles which is a thing.

I'm guessing someone got the wires crossed on the Humvee vs HMMWV vs Hummer nonclemature.

This isn't normally a thing for low production run vehicles, except you got a ton of guy's with surplus "$5000" Hummers trying to register them in any way possible and some states laying the ban hammer down on military vehicles in general.

What probably didn't help is AM General sending out HMMWV/HUMVEE's don't meet FMVSS and aren't road legal letters for 2-3 decades to DMV's and not clarifying what a Hummer is.

/edit I just looked at the DMV website for Colorado on military vehicles and yeah, it's all OHV for military vehicles except for Hummer H2's and H3's with a 17 Digit vin. That's the problem line right there.

Half the "h1s" made were made as AM General Hummer Commercial, and then either as GM H1 or Hummer H1.. it's bad enough shopping insurance/parts that computer databases split the 2 right off the bat.

I wonder if Civilian Volvo C303 owners are going to get caught up with this?

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 7, 2022

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
There’s a ton of surplus Humvee registered in Ohio/ Kentucky, just a matter of hoops to do it. I’m glad to live in a state that only gives half a poo poo about it.

Haven’t checked in a while, wonder if any are getting dumped due to gas prices.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

So how do people legally drive these "deuces" and "deuce and a halfs" that are popular with the off-road crowd on road?

Are they not also classified as military or whatever the gently caress?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

You can get a historical plate for them in CA. These military trucks punish the owners enough that the DMV doesn't need to apply additional negative feedback.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Having owned one, yeah. The deuces are in high demand because gvwr is low enough to not need a CDL. 5 tons, you either need to live in a state where they only apply CDL limits if you're making money with it, or have a CDL. They're... Very very utilitarian when it comes to features but the most fun I've ever had doing 52mph in a straight line.

As long as it's over 25 years old most states will shrug and let you put antique plates on it. I registered mine in Washington and they simply didn't care, let me put regular plates on it, 30k gvwr (could have left it at 39 but it costs per thousand pounds so I had them set it lower) and no CDL needed as long as I was using it privately not for commerce. 350 bucks a year in tag fees have a nice day sir.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I choose to believe some dipshit in a lifted pickup rolled coal on a CO state senator or smth, thereby instigating a crackdown on 'huge trucks'.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

ryanrs posted:

You can get a historical plate for them in CA. These military trucks punish the owners enough that the DMV doesn't need to apply additional negative feedback.

This is one way. RV conversion is another. Then there's no mileage limitations like historical use does.
Still a miserable loving vehicle to be subject to.

ryanrs posted:

I choose to believe some dipshit in a lifted pickup rolled coal on a CO state senator or smth, thereby instigating a crackdown on 'huge trucks'.

Its sorta why CA started smogging MY 98+ light duty diesels. All the fuckwits with their diesel 2500s headed out to glamis pulling toyhaulers with the tune turned up to 11.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Lol, owned. RIP their emission deletes because jackasses refuse to keep their trucks even marginally civilized.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

ryanrs posted:

Lol, owned. RIP their emission deletes because jackasses refuse to keep their trucks even marginally civilized.

I'm not like some super liberal tree hugger hippie dirt worshipper type but if I had God like powers every time I saw someone rolling coal I'd wave my hand a couple times and send a connecting rod or two through the side of their block. gently caress them.

In other news I put my summer tires on my Tacoma today, the falken wild peak something something's and they rub a bit on the lower control arms when I have the wheel cranked right over. They are the same size as stock, but I guess it must be the tread lugs that go up the sidewalls a bit that are doing it.

Is it safe to assume that this is fine provided I just don't constantly drive with the wheel all the way over?
Is this my introduction to 'trying to do some off roady poo poo 101, tires that probably rub on something'?

I don't want to get spacers, and am willing to tolerate it if there aren't any safety issues I should worry about.

E: Heres a pic for those that might (probably don't) give a poo poo. Thats at full lock to the one side. It squeals a bit. I should probably check the tire pressures, that might help just a bit.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 11, 2022

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

if I had God like powers every time I saw someone rolling coal I'd wave my hand a couple times and send a connecting rod or two through the side of their block. gently caress them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wishes for godlike powers to be used in almost that exact way.

Re: tires, depends on "how much" they rub but I'm also surprised that a true same-size tire would be that close. If the rubbing is really minor and it's only on full lock then perhaps I'd ignore it (or adjust my steering stops, but I don't think most trucks have that option).

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wishes for godlike powers to be used in almost that exact way.

Same.
I take solace in every time they coal this doofus on two wheels they're one step closer to killing a twenty-thousand dollar engine in a truck they're already upside down on and making thousand a month in payments on.

If it has steering stops, adjust them. Otherwise yeah just be aware it rubs and don't hold it there.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

wesleywillis posted:

I'm not like some super liberal tree hugger hippie dirt worshipper type but if I had God like powers every time I saw someone rolling coal I'd wave my hand a couple times and send a connecting rod or two through the side of their block. gently caress them.

In other news I put my summer tires on my Tacoma today, the falken wild peak something something's and they rub a bit on the lower control arms when I have the wheel cranked right over. They are the same size as stock, but I guess it must be the tread lugs that go up the sidewalls a bit that are doing it.

Is it safe to assume that this is fine provided I just don't constantly drive with the wheel all the way over?
Is this my introduction to 'trying to do some off roady poo poo 101, tires that probably rub on something'?

I don't want to get spacers, and am willing to tolerate it if there aren't any safety issues I should worry about.

E: Heres a pic for those that might (probably don't) give a poo poo. Thats at full lock to the one side. It squeals a bit. I should probably check the tire pressures, that might help just a bit.

Nothing should be rubbing anywhere on stock size tires, not even close.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

rifles posted:

Nothing should be rubbing anywhere on stock size tires, not even close.

I double checked the size on the sidewall. 265 65 17, same as stock. Checked the tire pressures, might actually be a bit high at 34 psi. I think stock might be 29? Or maybe thats the older Tundras that we have at work and I'm confusing the two, but the tire pressures were taken after sitting all day, not much sun, not particularly hot.
Like I said, I think the tread lugs that come up the side wall are the culprits, as they stick out a bit, but I don't know what it was like with the factory tires, never paid attention.

cursedshitbox posted:

If it has steering stops, adjust them. Otherwise yeah just be aware it rubs and don't hold it there.

I'll see if that can be done. Thanks.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

wesleywillis posted:

I double checked the size on the sidewall. 265 65 17, same as stock. Checked the tire pressures, might actually be a bit high at 34 psi. I think stock might be 29? Or maybe thats the older Tundras that we have at work and I'm confusing the two, but the tire pressures were taken after sitting all day, not much sun, not particularly hot.
Like I said, I think the tread lugs that come up the side wall are the culprits, as they stick out a bit, but I don't know what it was like with the factory tires, never paid attention.

I'll see if that can be done. Thanks.

34 should be about right. I've got at3s on my 2016 tacoma offroad and never noticed any rubbing. Might have even gone up a size on the tires but I know the sports have a taller wheel to start with.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Rubbing is usually a width issue more than height unless you're going more than +2" in diameter.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Looks like Colorado is revisiting the law in regards to Military Vehicles since it doesn't make sense as it's written, and the DMV is restoring H1/Hummer titles in cases where they were converted to OHV.

https://gazette.com/news/local/colo...7dee8d81b6.html

Now I got to see if I can find a decently priced M1101/M1102 trailer, hopefully, one comes up for auction in Food Hood sometime this summer so I can use it to help move poo poo back to California and convert it to a overlanding trailer.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

FogHelmut posted:

Rubbing is usually a width issue more than height unless you're going more than +2" in diameter.

Yeah, its definitely on the sidewalls.

Checked tire placard on the door opening. Should be 29 psi for stock tires. I think maybe I'll drop a few psi and see what happens.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Looking at upgrading to an early GX from my 3rd gen 4Runner (might as well get V8 performance if I'm gonna get V8 MPG). I remember somebody posting a pretty exhaustive buying guide but it was a while ago so if that was you could you reply so I can find that post.

Also considering a V8 4th Gen 4Runner or a Sequoia. I've got a non-nav 2nd owner 2003 GX in my crosshairs right now and I'm just waiting on a reply. Hopefully I drive to Seattle this weekend to get it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I can try to answer any GX questions you may have.

Non-nav is preferable. You can convert a non-nav to nav, but finding the non-nav climate control unit for your year to do the conversion can be tough (without paying over $1k for the part from Lexus/Toyota), and you'd still need to expect to spend in the $300-500+ range for that second hand. This is especially true if you have an '06-09, as it seems like a vast majority of those versions were sold with nav. However, it is possible, and even with an '07 I was lucky and was able to snag the proper climate control unit from a guy on ih8mud from Kazakhstan (actually in the middle of doing the conversion right now). IIRC there are 4 different of climate units depending on manufacture date ('02-04, '04-05, '05, '06-09). The newer you go, the harder it is to find a non-nav climate unit. There are some options for upgraded head unit experiences with the nav version, but they all seem to have some sort of downside that's going to have you still wanting non-nav (and no matter which option you go with, if you have nav some of the climate controls will be via a screen).

KDSS is another one of the major options. I believe all sport trim GX's have it, but I believe it was also possible to add separately from the sport package (at least some years). It sounds like KDSS can be nice, especially if you're only aiming to do lighter off road stuff, but it's also pretty hard to find. You'll either be paying a significant premium for it, and/or it will get swooped up fast. KDSS needs to be deleted if you want more than ~2" of lift, and KDSS complicates some suspension work. "KDSS lean" is also an issue people run into and have to correct, especially after installing lifts. You'll also find less options for things like sliders and skid plates if you have KDSS (though there's still plenty of options these days). I originally was set on finding a KDSS model, but eventually I gave up. I can't say I ever think too much about lack of KDSS or regret not waiting for it. It definitely felt good not having to do the KDSS specific steps when I was upgrading the suspension.

Starting in 2005 they switched to the VVTI engine, which added some power. It also bumped the fuel recommendation from regular to premium, however, many say it's fine to run regular in the VVTI, the ECU will just dial things back a bit. I believe the VVTI makes some maintenance/repair harder, but I haven't encountered anything related to that yet. Also have seen people say the pre-VVTI is non-interference. I haven't looked to hard into whether that's actually the case, I'd just change the timing belt on schedule regardless.

Sport trim has the best / least dated looking wood trim (it's mostly blackish rather than light brown or dark brown). Again though, it's hard to find a sport. Just vinyl wrap the wood trims if it's something that'll bother you.

Cracked dashboards is another thing to look out for.

Some years had issues with the white (blizzard pearl) paint peeling (think this was mainly an 07-09 thing). There was a tsb/recall for some years (free repaint), but not all that were affected. At this point though it'll be pretty obvious if it's an issue with the truck you're looking at. Not gonna be something that surprises you years after you buy.

Aux input was added in '07 I believe. '07 the nav screen was also updated (higher resolution), so if you want to use something like a GROM VLine (android unit that adds modern features / carplay while keeping the factory nav unit/screen), you'll have a better experience than with the earlier models.

I believe Mark Levinson limits your options for speaker upgrades (without also having to get a new amp), and I believe you also can't easily swap an ML amp for a non-ML amp without also changing the speakers (due to impedances I believe). That means if your ML amp dies you either need to replace it with an ML amp (which I believe is expensive), or do some significant sound work. I'm probably missing some of the nuance here. The ML sound isn't bad by any means though, so unless you are very picky about your sound or get unlucky with a dead amp, it's not a huge issue.

e: I'm sure you're familiar with the suspension (and at this point not many are still running OEM), but the adjustable damping is actually pretty nice, you just only get it with OEM shocks (which are expensive). So that's gone if you ever lift or even just need to replace the original shocks @ stock height and want something more reasonably priced. The rear air suspension is nice for auto leveling based on your load, but it will leak. Being off road when the air compressor decides to turn itself off to avoid burning out isn't fun for you butt and spine (speaking from experience here). You can get the compressor to restart via jumping some pins once it's cooled down, so it's not completely game over once they start leaking. I'd just plan on converting to springs in the rear. If you need air features for say towing, you can always add helper bags.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 27, 2022

highme
May 25, 2001

Awesome, thanks for that info dump. One question I'll start with is how do you identify the sport versions? These are all pretty similarly badged with no OEM+ TRD type of stuff.

I've got a truck in my sights but it's in Los Angeles and I am not, he's said his lowest price is $13k which is a little more than I want to spend (especially for a car I need to drive 1000 miles back to Portland) but it's a non-nav that's already been lifted. Timing belt and water pump were done 40k ago.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/1377237517

Los Angeles Car Bro posted:

Selling a 2003 Lexus GX470 with 216,319 miles car fax report in hand shows maintenance . Truck has 2.5” Ironman springs with brand new bill-stein 5100 shocks with rear iron man air Bag delete , cab mount chop , front skid plates . Truck is on method wheels and KO2 285/70r17 . Fresh new fluids , new front brakes , new serpentine belt . Trucks paint is almost perfect has some some scratches on the rear and front bumper can send pictures but paint is 8.5 out of 10 . Interior is very clean has a small tear on driver seat but in all 8 out of 10

This local Sequoia & V8 4Runner have picqued my interest as well, though the 4th gen is at the bottom of the list as I'd prefer the larger vehicle if I'm getting garbage mpg.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/troutdale-2005-toyota-sequoia-limited/7474867729.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/nco/cto/d/wilsonville-2004-toyota-4runner-v8/7464411898.html

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

highme posted:

Awesome, thanks for that info dump. One question I'll start with is how do you identify the sport versions? These are all pretty similarly badged with no OEM+ TRD type of stuff.

Sports will have a dark sort of charcoal wood grain color on the interior. No other trim has it.

I really don't know that they are worth much of a premium. The KDSS is nice on road, but from what I understand, slow speed crawling it doesn't actually even function, i.e., forced articulation via the sway bars, when below a certain speed (12mph I may have heard). Otherwise that stuff just sorta gets in the way when figuring out a lift kit.

One question I have - I have a 460 and I'm probably not actually going to build it, but for shits and giggles I like to know this stuff - does anyone know if the recent model tacoma diffs will swap in? The v6 manuals have a 4.30 gear (I read) and it would be sweet to be able to just pull the rear 3rd and front clamshell and swap them in to correct for 33-35" tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

Gotcha, thanks. Looking across the west coast and some of the southwest I've seen exactly one of those for sale. It's a well built truck for $18.5k in Austin. However tha'ts out of my budget and outside of my desired travels to find something.

However a new contender has entered the ring, a 2nd gen Xterra with a 6spd and a locker. I know gently caress all about Nissan drive trains though. There's a 2009 with 260k in the Bay Area for $7000. Which leaves plenty of budget for other shenanigans. Should I be scared of 260k Nissan with "mostly highway mileage" ?