Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

The Protagonist posted:

i am not sure i can afford 50 eggs atm

e; no joke i should probably hit up that goonbucks thread i am almost on the street

:( dolances. Hopefully just part of the character arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Protagonist posted:

i am not sure i can afford 50 eggs atm

e; no joke i should probably hit up that goonbucks thread i am almost on the street

im sorry :(

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
absolutely lolling at this snippet from the guardian

quote:

we are currently on track for catastrophic 3C heating. In a world where half of the its population is highly vulnerable to the climate crisis, that spells disaster. Extreme heatwaves, floods and droughts far outside the normal tolerances of cities and towns will destroy lives and livelihoods globally. The knock-on effects of crop failures, migration and economic disruption could then overload political institutions and our abilities to respond to unfolding events.

If that feels depressing, there is cause for hope. Governments own this report. They have endorsed it, and they have signed it off. Their citizens can now hold them to account for the failures it details.

oh thank god, we can hold them to account

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Vote!!

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

writing a letter to my congressman right now to do whatever exxon mobile thinks is best for the climate

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

which means if we don't "hold them to account," climate change becomes the fault of the least powerful. they didn't want to fight climate change enough.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

going to hold them to account by being really really upset with them after they died at the end of a long life full of opulent wealth. Going to write in history books that the guy who died a 95 year old in a $50 million dollar home was a bad dude, who was no good. He didn't even know how to make mac n cheese, his private chef took care of that, the scoundrel

that's how we will get back at those who fight against a livable future

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

weird of the guardian to be calling for violence like that

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Rime posted:

Been trying for days to write a big long classic style post about how and why I'm so depressed, largely by having to continue existing in this interminably liminal state of affairs and society, that I was seriously considering just calling it quits and killing myself last week - but I can't even manage to scrape together a shitpost longer than this bland one-liner anymore. :sigh:

you’re gonna die eventually, don’t rush it…

really you ought to take some time off or whatever, don’t hurt yourself

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
things are less depressing when you remember that nothing matters

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmfao who exactly is supposed to hold them to account, revolutionary tribunals?

Stereotype posted:

weird of the guardian to be calling for violence like that

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

https://twitter.com/barackobama/status/1261004586359422979

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I would like to speak to the climate's manager

someone needs to be held accountable for my fajitas not having cheese

oh also my family died in a resource war, but fajitas are my immediate concern

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Mister President, we *cannot* allow a Big Mac gap!"

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Xaris posted:

rime can you post about turbine manufacturers sucking now or are you still under some form of nda

yea speaking of, i tried to PM you but couldnt. would love to ask a bunch of q's about the farm/turbine/repair world

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I did, and things got worse :argh:

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
https://www.wired.com/story/as-climate-fears-mount-some-are-relocating-within-the-us/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

quote:

Keenan, who studies the intersection of climate change adaptation and the built environment, estimated that 50 million Americans could eventually move within the country to regions such as New England or the Upper Midwest in search of a haven from severe climate impacts. He predicted that migration driven by increasingly uninhabitable coastal areas is likely to happen sooner rather than later, citing the latest federal estimate that US coastal sea levels will rise by as much as a foot by 2050. Another projection, by Matthew Hauer, an assistant professor of sociology at Florida State University, is that 13.1 million Americans will relocate because of sea level rise alone by 2100, based on projections that seas along the US coast will rise by an average of 1.8 meters—nearly 6 feet—by then.

“We left in 2020 after getting tired of being evacuated in the middle of the night by a policeman saying, ‘Pack your cars, take your dogs, don’t pick up anything, just go,’” said Parvin.

As they became convinced that they could no longer live in Sonoma, they briefly considered Bend, Oregon, but dismissed that because it too had fire problems. They looked at Austin, Texas, but decided that would be too hot. They concluded it was time for a move out of the West altogether.

also my unironic apocalypse plan was jerking off and mst3k repeats and i make no apologies.

gonna chill till i can't.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

twin cities property owning crew value go up

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Iron Crowned posted:

I did, and things got worse :argh:

Did you vote hard enough?

No, no I didn't think so

Can't believe you (specifically) killed the earth

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

No, no I didn't think so

I can, I don't recycle (because there's no recycling programs outside of the lib bastions like Seattle)

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Erghh posted:

https://www.wired.com/story/as-climate-fears-mount-some-are-relocating-within-the-us/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

also my unironic apocalypse plan was jerking off and mst3k repeats and i make no apologies.

gonna chill till i can't.

Climate scientists have been doing this for some time time (the migrating part, not sure about the jerking off and mst3k parts). No one noticed, I guess.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I can, I don't recycle (because there's no recycling programs outside of the lib bastions like Seattle)

Thank you for sequestering carbon and reducing microplastics by landfilling your plastic waste o7

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

No, no I didn't think so

Listen buddy, I'd vote right now if I could!

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IAMKOREA posted:

Thank you for sequestering carbon and reducing microplastics by landfilling your plastic waste o7

if they even gave a single solitary gently caress about reducing microplastics what would that process even look like (aside from banning them)

find & burn as much plastic waste as possible? dissolve it? bury it in concrete?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Fly Molo posted:

if they even gave a single solitary gently caress about reducing microplastics what would that process even look like (aside from banning them)

find & burn as much plastic waste as possible? dissolve it? bury it in concrete?

I think a significant portion of microplastics that we encounter in our daily lives come from fibers so um good luck shutting down the textile industry lmao

Imagine having carpeting in your house lmao

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

klamus made a trailer for his protest getting suppressed and memory holed

https://twitter.com/ClimateHuman/status/1513564975524024323

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

jetz0r posted:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1433540993735856131

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jetz0r posted:

you can either be a doombrained crack ping addict or you can commit yourself to [REDACTED], everything else is a waste of time

and probably both of those are a waste of time as well tbh

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

TACD posted:

you can either be a doombrained crack ping addict or you can commit yourself to [REDACTED], everything else is a waste of time

It would just be spun as totally counterproductive and unnecessary (because things aren't that bad yet). There would be op ed after op ed about how resorting to violence makes climate protesters just as bad as Them

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

TACD posted:

There are huge extinction rebellion banners at that protest, so accomplishing nothing except getting arrested was the point.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

jetz0r posted:

There are huge extinction rebellion banners at that protest, so accomplishing nothing except getting arrested was the point.

ahaha

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

our society is like the forests, dying.

and like the forests, the best we can do is prepare the ground for the succession of oaks to replace pines and mesquites to replace oaks.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
at first my nihilism was just a useful rhetorical posting tool to avoid depression but recently it's just how i feel about everything, so overall i'd say things are fine. because nothing matters you see

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Stereotype posted:

at first my nihilism was just a useful rhetorical posting tool to avoid depression but recently it's just how i feel about everything, so overall i'd say things are fine. because nothing matters you see

that is depression.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Zodium posted:

that is depression.

nihilism and depression are two separate things

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Raine posted:

nihilism and depression are two separate things

yes, and they're describing depression.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Zodium posted:

yes, and they're describing depression.

oh no not that

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
the assertion that 'nothing matters' is neither itself depression, nor is it gnostically refutable :colbert:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i can't be depressed, a new cat wandered up to my house and i fed it and so now i have a new cat, which makes 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Stereotype posted:

i can't be depressed, a new cat wandered up to my house and i fed it and so now i have a new cat, which makes 4

yeah I guess that's true.