Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Doom 2016 is a less complex game, but it's not fundamentally different. 2016 just has a few weapons that trivialise encounters (siege mode, upgraded ssg) making it an easier game, and the equipment in 2016 was useless so there was no incentive to learn to use it.

2016 also wanted you to use weapon alt-fires, I'm not sure why alt-fires don't count as "shooting guns" in Eternal.

Eternal is still mostly about reaction time, positioning yourself so you don't get swarmed too bad, learning enemy behavior and shooting guns. I think the only abilities that are mandatory on lower difficulties are the chainsaw and flame belch.

Doomykins posted:

cyber mancubi trained me to avoid melee
I did this too initially, until I realized their AoE only hits the ground, so if you come from above or jump then meathook to them, they can't hit you with it

Edit: Just went and tried the first level on I'm too young to die, and even though you're more tanky than on higher difficulties you still feel pretty squishy (a melee caco will wreck you in a few hits), and the game feels punishing because the enemies are fast and you don't have the dash, flame belch or meathook yet. The early game doesn't feel great, even on easy.

Esran fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
But, it is so incredibly satisfying to Ice Bomb -> Meathook + SSG -> Blood Punch a CyberMancubus RIGHT IN ITS FAT loving FACE

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Cyber- mancubi can also be staggered with a direct hit from the SSG or rocket launcher, which gives you time to get in and punch them safely.

Also the only reason I figured this out is because the DLCs started throwing pairs of them at you as a direct counter to everyone learning to ice bomb them in the main game, and I think that's pretty neat!

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I had to look up what the infinite ammo rune was because I've never used that and man if you are actually keeping your armor above 100 consistently, I think your approach to these games must be way safer than mine

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's not that hard because you do it once and then gib everything that spawns with the ballista alt-fire. I love 2016 but the enemy roster is quite the Doom 1 vs Doom 2 once you've played Eternal.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Also keeping your armor above 100 (or later 75 when that rune is upgraded) is pretty easy if you make one of your other runes equipment power (also upgraded) then spam siphon grenades into every group of enemies you come across which can pretty much instantly fully refill both your health and armor if it hits more than 3-4 enemies in one blast.

2016 gives you giant ammo pools that you don't even have to use all that often if you can keep your armor up and also makes it comically easy to full refill both your health and armor with a single equipment item that has infinite ammo right from the start.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Regarding ammo in Doom '16, I just finished the Cyberdemon fight with maxed out ammo capacity, and I'm still switching weapons like crazy just because of how they're used, what range they're effective at, the damage done per shot, all while taking account of how much ammo you still have, and while you do get enough to stick with one weapon for a while it's not going to do you any good if you can't kill your targets efficiently. Any good Doom player since the classic games will frequently switch weapons to match the flow of the fight, and the Chainsaw is just as much a "delete this thing now" button as it is a way to get more ammo with how much fuel you can carry compared to Eternal. I don't miss running around having to chainsaw fodder every two minutes while getting pelted by projectiles.

What I DO miss from Eternal is the fast travel once you're done with a level. There are way too many "one way" doors and missable goodies and while it's fun to replay levels a lot of them can take a while.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Infinite ammo isn't even that relevant, you don't get it until 2/3 of the game is finished. The higher ammo capacity is the real reason 2016 is clearly the superior game.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

The ammo restrictions in Eternal really put me off from using a bunch of weapon mods. The Auto-shotgun's fun, but then you realize you blew all your shells after about three seconds. The Microwave Beam, apart from being very impractical for what it was supposed to do, chewed up cells very quickly, and Micro-missles don't become useful until you start upgrading them (kind of like in Doom '16, but they're really good when they are and you have more max ammo to use them with). I forget how much ammo the Chaingun's shield consumed while it was active, but honestly it didn't seem worth it compared to Mobile Turret, which is itself a huge drain, albeit a more cost-effective one. They should've given you a little more ammo to comfortably play around with - not a whole bunch, just enough - instead of being so laser focused on making sure you rotated through your entire arsenal, which, once again, you probably would've been doing anyway if you had a lick of sense.

Also, the Chainsaw. What's the point of having three pips maximum if it only uses one for fodder enemies and all three for everything else? There's no inbetween, at least none that I saw. A little more would've incentivized using it more aggressively, and would've been great to have instead of twiddling your thumbs waiting for that last pip to regen.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

super fart shooter posted:

I had to look up what the infinite ammo rune was because I've never used that and man if you are actually keeping your armor above 100 consistently, I think your approach to these games must be way safer than mine
Pair it with the Chaingun and Mobile Turret upgrade. Everything dies so fast it doesn't matter and you've got the siphon grenade to top you off if it does.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Dr Cheesequake posted:

Doom eternal peaked at the Holt gate on nightmare for me. I think I spent three weeks trying to get through it. Every time I fired it up, I couldn’t do more than 30 minutes or so, just because of how much concentration it required. I eventually got better and beat it, and I think took a few days off. But it was still the most memorable part of the game for me. In general, I liked DLC 1 the most out of the three parts of the game. It’s a brilliant game, but it’s exhausting.
Yeah, DLC1 is the most intense FPS I've ever played. I finally got thru the last part of UAC Atlantis on Nightmare after about 20+ tries, spread over a few weeks, and in-between attempts, picking up tips by watching a few pro-players play thru that section on 1/2 speed (right before reaching the Seraphim). After finally getting thru that section tonight, somewhat in disbelief, I had to ice-down my left forearm (I'm no longer that young).

And I'm not yet up to the skills of the pro youtubers but hope to get to that level some day. For example, in my last successful attempt on the pre-Seraphim level, I managed to get thru it and completely forgot about my chaingun weapon due to focusing on everything else. So I still have a ways to go to improve.

Each major section of DLC1 feels like playing thru a Slayers Gate. Which isn't a bad thing, as now I can play thru the Slayers Gates a little bit easier, now lol.

Also I started playing thru Doom 2016 again in parallel, and that game seems so easy now on Nightmare, after having to bring up my gameplay abilities in Doom Eternal on Nightmare.

I hope my experience in Doom:Eternal Nightmare doesn't make FPS gameplay in any new FPS titles seem underwhelming. For example, on the side I just started playing thru Metro:Exodus, for my first time, on the next to hardest skill setting and so far combat is a breeze. I pretty much go into any unexplored area and take out hordes of anything with almost no effort.

And the previous Metro titles, before my exposure to Doom:Eternal, I would always have difficulty in combat, also playing at similar difficulty settings.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 23, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
hell yeah dude, you're getting gamer good

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you want an fps that’s gonna remain challenging despite how good you are at doom eternal, play doom 2 slaughter/challenge maps. Completely different mechanics, style, etc - plenty of speed runners from that community did some Eternal runs and found it boring and monotonous so they went back to Doom 2.

Like doom eternal manages your bfg shots so you don’t instantly melt everything and ruin all challenge slaughterfest 2012 hands you an infinite shot BFG and then smashes your face in anyway

Arivia fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 24, 2022

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
Does anyone have pro controller settings advice for Doom 2016?
I feel like my aiming is just very off constantly

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/romero/status/1499172470330437633?t=Hwevo1g5qtINQtsETUWDDQ&s=19

John Romero is going to make Vladimir Putin his bitch.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Mods are starting to go places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_pGh__snXI

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
hell yeah let's fuckin gooooooooooo

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

holy poo poo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZJE9hFFZ9g/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

So back in January Mick put out a video of him blasting Super Gore Nest on his IG account. I also discovered he's doing the music for Atomic Heart and it sounds insane. When he's going all out Mick's music is just perfect.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I haven't followed atomic heart for ages because yeah it looked pretty but none of it made me get a feel for how it would actually play.

But Mick is involved? Ok now it's interesting regardless of the rest. Gonna have to check it out again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mindblast posted:

I haven't followed atomic heart for ages because yeah it looked pretty but none of it made me get a feel for how it would actually play.

But Mick is involved? Ok now it's interesting regardless of the rest. Gonna have to check it out again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SstWbERMv00

Sounds like a fusion of his Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein music, very industrial.

As for whether it will ever release given the Russian War going on right now...

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 11, 2022

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Oh wow that looks and sounds nice. Yeah here's to hoping it gets a release window.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Man I still sometimes think about what a shame it was how him and Id parted ways.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m still of the mind that Gordon’s best piece of music is his work with Tex Perkins covering “The Partisan.”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm inclined to agree but it is an extremely tight race between The Partisan, Ransacked and BFG Division.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BFG Division is GOATed forever

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

can move your copy over to steam now if you got a cheap bethlauncher key

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1519336438545981441

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

repiv posted:

can move your copy over to steam now if you got a cheap bethlauncher key

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1519336438545981441

If all your Bethesda games were bought thru Steam anyway, is this step necessary?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

no

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My housemate bought Doom Eternal so I decided to boot my copy up for another go. Tried playing on Ultra Violence because I haven't played in about eight months. Ended up stopping right after killing the first Hell Priest and going back to Nightmare. I need more pain.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I wanted to add to the eternal/2016 discourse: 2016 was not intense enough, the analogy of OG Doom:Community wads rings true to me. And I really really prefer how they used the classic designs with all the red skin and brains and blue guts of the sprites, instead of the reformulated designs from 2016 that kind of followed from the Doom 3 aesthetic. Let me play the expansions without the gimmick simon-says enemies though?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh man, give me Eternal but with 2016's combat and I'd be in heaven.(hell?)

Absolutely cannot grok with the "combat puzzle" bs of Eternal, it's more stressful than fun for me and does not make me feel like an unstoppable force of nature, I just end up feeling like a little baby clumsily fumbling with my guns and leaking health and ammo out of every orifice constantly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The biggest downside for me with Eternal's gameplay is that you're pretty much always encouraged to use Alt Fire mods for every gun rather than default shots. But it's a minor quibble now that i can juggle sticky bombs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deakul posted:

Oh man, give me Eternal but with 2016's combat and I'd be in heaven.(hell?)

Absolutely cannot grok with the "combat puzzle" bs of Eternal, it's more stressful than fun for me and does not make me feel like an unstoppable force of nature, I just end up feeling like a little baby clumsily fumbling with my guns and leaking health and ammo out of every orifice constantly.

Why don't you just lower the difficulty?

I'm not even trying to be snarky, I just see a lot of people struggling with the game in ways that I'm fairly sure can be avoided by just lowering the difficulty.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I'm not even trying to be snarky, I just see a lot of people struggling with the game in ways that I'm fairly sure can be avoided by just lowering the difficulty.

Yep. Any time I see people complain about Eternal I think this. It’s so fun on easy

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Jack Trades posted:

Lowering the difficulty doesn't change the core gameplay loop. I tried bring difficulty down out three or four levels into the campaign (went UV->HMP->HNTR) and still didn't like what Eternal was offering. There's a design difference between 2016 and Eternal that just doesn't click for some people.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yep. Any time I see people complain about Eternal I think this. It’s so fun on easy

Seconding this. The game on the easiest settings is much more flexible in how to solve its “combat puzzles.” You can just shoot things and they’ll die.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah the most annoying thing about criticizing Doom Eternal is how certain types of gamers just assume it's because that person is bad at the game and immediately go "just make it easier :hurr:"

It's an issue of game design, not difficulty

The worst part is knowing that Hugo et al. are definitely listening to the "mad cuz bad" crew. I'm interested to see what the next Id or Doom title will be and will definitely play it but my hopes aren't quite as high as they were going in to Eternal--which was an amazing game, yes, but way too finicky about how it wanted you to play it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah the most annoying thing about criticizing Doom Eternal is how certain types of gamers just assume it's because that person is bad at the game and immediately go "just make it easier :hurr:"

The worst part is knowing that Hugo et al. are definitely listening to the "mad cuz bad" crew. I'm interested to see what the next Id or Doom title will be and will definitely play it but my hopes aren't quite as high as they were going in to Eternal--which was an amazing game, yes, but way too finicky about how it wanted you to play it.

Finally, a western answer to Dark Souls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

What the gently caress do you think the game difficulties are there for? To look at them in passing while defaulting to Nightmare even though other difficulties will offer you an experience more suited to you?

If the problem is that doing the combat loop is too stressful because it requires too much speed and/or too many moving parts, it's perfectly fine to lower the difficulty, allowing you to either ignore parts of the combat loop that you think are too much or do it slower if it's too fast for you.