Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

In one of the hottest periods for American wrestling ever, WCW Greed had 50,000 buys and an attendance of 5,030; I view WCW die-hards around that time as cabin-dwelling weirdos talking poo poo on Vince over ham radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I think when AEW first started, a lot of people dreamed that it was going to be exactly the kind of wrestling they wanted. For some it was "NJPW But American" for others it was "Exactly Like Wrestling Was When They Personally Were 10". Then when AEW turned out to not be that, a lot of those people took it personally.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Takuan posted:

I think when AEW first started, a lot of people dreamed that it was going to be exactly the kind of wrestling they wanted. For some it was "NJPW But American" for others it was "Exactly Like Wrestling Was When They Personally Were 10". Then when AEW turned out to not be that, a lot of those people took it personally.

Basically. And like, it's OK to be disappointed it isn't the thing you would like the best. Hell, I'd probably like it more if it was NJPW But American (and with a real budget) but criticising it for not being that isn't really productive. There's totally things you can still criticise, but I always try really hard not to rag on something for not being something it isn't trying to be.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

AEw has rightfully gone with a mix of styles, being Southern style in places, NJPW in places, DDT in places, Deathmatches in places...etc...

If it was just one it'd probably be worst for it in terms of American TV

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

If you want NJPW but American you can always join us weirdos as we watch New Japan Strong :yayclod:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It's so hard for me to fathom that people waste so much time thinking about a promotion they dislike, just loving joyless pricks. AEW wasn't for me, so I ignore it for the most part because there's so much wrestling I enjoy to take up my time and energy

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
I think "sports-like" just means "presented exactly like how the UFC is presented".

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Dr. Baker posted:

I thought the main complaint about AEW was that they don't have any stories.

The irony being that if AEW was just "New Japan but America" there would be even less "stories" cause these people prove time and time again they have no concept whatsoever of in-ring storytelling.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

SG Bamboo posted:

It's so hard for me to fathom that people waste so much time thinking about a promotion they dislike, just loving joyless pricks. AEW wasn't for me, so I ignore it for the most part because there's so much wrestling I enjoy to take up my time and energy

Tell that to the WWE Thread fam

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
It is actually very joyful to laugh at and make fun of how bad the WWE is

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

It is actually very joyful to laugh at and make fun of how bad the WWE is

Indeed, it's rather cathartic at times

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Venomous posted:

AEW Is Bad Because It's Not WWE

It's not even that. It's "AEW is bad because the people I hate, my posting enemies, the smarks, like it".

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Generico posted:

I think "sports-like" just means "presented exactly like how the UFC is presented".

Let's see what that account thinks when AEW puts on a match that strikes me as pretty sports like:

https://twitter.com/AEW_Fritz/status/1512623319354384384

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
What

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
the very special brain that tried to find a funny and dismissive way to describe forearm exchanges and lands on "Eric Cartman ro sham bo forearm contest"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah it sounds awesome

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
people who hate strong style (the best style) are disgusting subhuman filth to me

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvpTunSHsag

FullMetalJackoff fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 11, 2022

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

the very special brain that tried to find a funny and dismissive way to describe forearm exchanges and lands on "Eric Cartman ro sham bo forearm contest"

This reference makes no sense because Cartman's ro sham bo was just him kicking another kid in the balls and winning.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I understand this reference

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

how do you do that and then become the "599" company a few years later

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

how do you do that and then become the "599" company a few years later

Well, more like 10, and that was because Sony needed the Blu Ray format to succeed so the PS3 had to have a player and so on

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

10 is a small number, and i know how they literally step by step got into that situation. it's just horrendous management to get into that situation where they had to do that. i'm sorry thanx. i'm sorry i freaked out bad. I got pissed off and broke my xbox one controller that i use for pc. i can't play my games now

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 11, 2022

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/ItsBradShepard/status/1513299862258868231?s=20&t=-TyXyup8ruY6FzwyXw5q8Q

I'm not sure if this is in reference to Dr. Pimple Popper but I believe it has/had better ratings than RAW and SD a couple of years ago

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

"toilet exploders"

NWS for cleavage

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I feel like the second guy should be on some sort of registry...

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I wanna say that particular dude wasn’t being sincere about it but I didn’t care to click through to his own feed and find out.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Let's see what that account thinks when AEW puts on a match that strikes me as pretty sports like:

https://twitter.com/AEW_Fritz/status/1512623319354384384

So for example, when this man says "sports like presentation" he means "What wrestling was like when it looked like a real sport, when I, personally, was 10 years old in the mid-80s and believed it was real."

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

pretty mad that 'toilet exploders' is an unsexy way of describing butts instead of an accurate way of describing a suplex in a bathroom :mad:

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

quote:

I don't believe this.

If WWE had an extra 15 minutes on the Sunday broadcast they could have and would have given New Day vs. Shea Butchridge more time.

Roman hurt his shoulder. Brock broke a rib. Both injuries related to the weird spear spot. Brock was trying to put Roman's shoulder back in place during the Kimura. With both guys hurt, they decided to rush home and get out of there.

This was not what was "laid out" for what was promoted as the "biggest WrestleMania match of all time." This was not what was "laid out" for a match in which Brock made a show of removing his gloves before it even started.

Re: Roman not being injured and the match just being bad

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

pretty mad that 'toilet exploders' is an unsexy way of describing butts instead of an accurate way of describing a suplex in a bathroom :mad:

DDT's next rojo show needs to end with a toilet exploder to reclaim the term

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
wanna see someone do an exploder suplex on a toilet

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Re: Roman not being injured and the match just being bad

oh my god, the idea that expert medic Brock Lesnar was trying to reset Roman's dislocated shoulder by slapping on a kimura is fantastic

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

DDT's next rojo show needs to end with a toilet exploder to reclaim the term
Taz: Suplexing into turnbuckles is dangerous and shouldn't be done.
DDT: *dude suplexes his opponent into a toilet*
Taz: :vince:

Kota Ibushi: *puts fireworks into toilet and then sits on it*

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

I'm really struggling to figure out what a toilet exploder is.

As I'm writing this I of course find out that it's just the weirdest way to say rear end I've ever heard. I think I'll adopt that into my vocabulary.

E: I definitely googled it first but google didn't help

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'm really struggling to figure out what a toilet exploder is.

As I'm writing this I of course find out that it's just the weirdest way to say rear end I've ever heard. I think I'll adopt that into my vocabulary.

E: I definitely googled it first but google didn't help

I really wanna know the circumstances for that last one

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Destroy My Sweater posted:

https://twitter.com/ItsBradShepard/status/1513299862258868231?s=20&t=-TyXyup8ruY6FzwyXw5q8Q

I'm not sure if this is in reference to Dr. Pimple Popper but I believe it has/had better ratings than RAW and SD a couple of years ago

It's such a dead brand that they should rename it to this thing, which I also think is a dead brand, as I have just explained to you now

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

tfw you have never read a poem

https://twitter.com/magestrike/status/1513695655021228034?s=21&t=Idn8_PrlVswTuxs8LjzA5w

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

It's like poetry, it rhymes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you've ever told a joke congrats it was better than this attempt by The Holzerman.

https://twitter.com/HorbFlerbminber/status/1512490420776980483

Also what's the over/under on how many tweets it takes for The King to unfollow me.

Or maybe we just become best friends.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 12, 2022