Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

No Mods No Masters posted:

Does BLM's rotation still change radically at different level ranges? I never really tried it to know how much truth there was to that but people sure said it a lot, enough to scare me away and probably many others too

Eh, kinda. Less-so now, but the basic gist of it is pretty static.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

Does BLM's rotation still change radically at different level ranges? I never really tried it to know how much truth there was to that but people sure said it a lot, enough to scare me away and probably many others too

The major change is at 60(?) with Fire 4. After that it’s just adding extra stuff into that, but not a huge change like going from fire 1 spam to fire 4 is

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The iaijutsu animation looks really bad when you don't clip kaiten into it. There's some glows that start before the actual sheath and it's just kind of slow and low energy.
i'm partially convinced a lot of people have no clue what the kaiten animation actually looked like and sort of just combined it with iaijutsu.

the loss of it is a fairly big hit to the overall feeling of SAM and moving the job away from the big burst damage identity it had also feels pretty bad. the auto crit changes were necessary, but further dumping the potencies is baffling.

and tenka goken not being an auto crit is ???? because it lost a ton of damage with kaiten's removal. SAM's AoE DPS in dungeons is gonna feel a lot worse.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
yeah but as has been often quoted to me in this very thread

"who gives a singular gently caress about dungeon balance nerd?"

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

MCH does not have that drawback. There is optimization and room to improve for certain but their base floor is much much higher than BLM because they have free movement at all times. Any given BLM has to both know how to clear mechanics AND how to make sure they can keep attack while doing that, a MCH just has to do the latter.

notably BLM has two teleportation abilities and MCH has zero, so this isn't as stark of a difference as you're making it out to be

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

you hardly ever actually saw the full animation play but the little sword twirl before sheathing into setsugekka was cool as gently caress

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Fister Roboto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31ey9tEPyTQ

A strange British man engages in some market PVP on Primal.

The milk thing was pretty funny. I guess if you've got the time and inclination to buy up an entire data centre's worth of a particular in-demand material you could do okay.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

the idea that the MCH rotation, which requires you to track multiple independent GCD and OGCD cooldowns to keep them rolling, plus two separate meters to charge and spend, with a frequently repeated fairly unforgiving burst phase, is inherently easier than "keep the GCD rolling and hit triplecast when needed" to the point where MCH has to lose the amount of DPS it currently loses as a result for fairness seems questionable. At best, they're challenging in distinct ways, neither of which seems obviously easier than the other.

Plus, my understanding is that the rDPS mobility also means you're more likely to be asked to take on mechanics, while there are >0 strats based around "don't make the BLM do anything".

Valentin fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 12, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Frida Call Me posted:

notably BLM has two teleportation abilities and MCH has zero, so this isn't as stark of a difference as you're making it out to be

It absolutely is. The teleportation abilities are something that have to be properly used and are relatively easy to mess up, especially in harder fights. MCH moving is something literally every class has to do.

Valentin posted:

the idea that the MCH rotation, which requires you to track multiple independent GCD and OGCD cooldowns to keep them rolling, plus two separate meters to charge and spend, with a frequently repeated fairly unforgiving burst phase, is inherently easier than "keep the GCD rolling and hit triplecast when needed" to the point where MCH has to lose DPS as a result for fairness seems specious. At best, they're challenging in distinct ways, neither of which seems obviously easier than the other.

Plus, my understanding is that the rDPS mobility also means you're more likely to be asked to take on mechanics, while there are >0 strats based around "don't make the BLM do anything".

No, MCH is way loving easier. It has less punishment for failure and less resources to keep track of. Trying to pretend like the battery or heat gauges are anything that requirements management is goofy as hell. Your BLM timer requires more management than either and that just requires "remember to cast Fire 1 at some point before it runs out."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 12, 2022

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Pretty much everyone agrees MCH should do less damage than BLM, the issue is that the magnitude of that gap is currently too large.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
MCH is almost certainly easier than BLM, but the "easier to play so less dps" thing doesn't hold up for any other job so I don't really think that should be a factor, at least not to the huge extent it is here. it's not like MCH is pushing up against SAM and BLM, it's literally bottom 1. i think its more of the ranged tax than the simplicity tax (which I'm not convinced exists)

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

It absolutely is. The teleportation abilities are something that have to be properly used and are relatively easy to mess up, especially in harder fights. MCH moving is something literally every class has to do.

i recently finished leveling BLM and i was shocked at how little movement you had to do with good aetherial manip usage. mechanics that you have to pre-move for on MCH you can resolve with a single button press with BLM. it is a win for BLM and not for MCH.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Frida Call Me posted:

i recently finished leveling BLM and i was shocked at how little movement you had to do with good aetherial manip usage. mechanics that you have to pre-move for on MCH you can resolve with a single button press with BLM. it is a win for BLM and not for MCH.

Yes, playing BLM well means you can do a lot of extremely awesome poo poo. The thing is that hitting that skill level requires much better knowledge of fights than MCH does.

Countblanc posted:

MCH is almost certainly easier than BLM, but the "easier to play so less dps" thing doesn't hold up for any other job so I don't really think that should be a factor, at least not to the huge extent it is here. it's not like MCH is pushing up against SAM and BLM, it's literally bottom 1. i think its more of the ranged tax than the simplicity tax (which I'm not convinced exists)

Eh, the simplicity tax goes with the range tax because a bit part of it is that it is lack of hardcasts or positionals while also having the "doesn't have to be up close" bonus which is pretty much exclusively ranged DPS + Summoner outside of Ifrit phrase.

Edit: Also I like BLM, MCH and SMN all, but MCH and SMN are easily my go-to "I want to play DPS but don't really want to stress" classes.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 12, 2022

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If not for new SMN, MCH would be the easiest job in the game.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, playing BLM well means you can do a lot of extremely awesome poo poo. The thing is that hitting that skill level requires much better knowledge of fights than MCH does.

if we're talking about savage content, you're already doing complex movement on MCH to make up for the lack of any gap closer or retreats, and you have zero oopsie buttons to push when that goes poorly or is mistimed. also, you have to make those movements while maintaining 1.5x the APM of the BLM. i really don't think this is an advantage for MCH.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If not for new SMN, MCH would be the easiest job in the game.

SMN, RDM, and every tank, yeah.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Valentin posted:

Nah, MCH is easier than RDM too. I wasn't thinking about tanks but they're probably mechanically pretty close.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Valentin posted:

SMN and MCH are way easier than RDM which is, pretty bizarrely, the least mobile of the three magic classes these days. (This does not mean RDM is hard.)

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Valentin posted:

Yeah I've never played MCH, but my PLD is the easiest of the 90's I have I find (DNC, PLD, SAM, BLM, AST).

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i thought 6.0 rdm was pretty mobile with the extended finisher and the changes to the meter but then i took blm to 90 and holy moly you can zip all over the place now

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

The more I read the PvP action lists, the more I'm convinced PvP 2.0 is going to be really stupid or really awesome. Maybe both. Every class has something that makes it stand out from the others, even without LBs. I guess we'll see what the balance looks like when it drops, but I'm excited to try some of these classes out. Which is something I didn't expect to say about the rework.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Even without the zips, two triple casts, swift, 2 sharpcasts means you probably have procs ready to go. You get a lot of movement on demand.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
They basically DOTA-fied each job's kit for PvP and I'm actually really excited to try it out. It's probably going to be really dumb (and frontlines is going to be pure chaos) but might be fun?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Even without the zips, two triple casts, swift, 2 sharpcasts means you probably have procs ready to go. You get a lot of movement on demand.

Plus Paradox-Ice and Foul/Xeno. You basically never have to waste a GCD on BLM.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'm a bit worried that PvP in ffxiv is just impossible to make feel good to me regardless of any individual mechanical changes being good, strictly for netcode reasons which I never see improving. definitely excited to try it out and hopefully be proven wrong but we'll see.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Countblanc posted:

i'm a bit worried that PvP in ffxiv is just impossible to make feel good to me regardless of any individual mechanical changes being good, strictly for netcode reasons which I never see improving. definitely excited to try it out and hopefully be proven wrong but we'll see.

This is my thought process, especially wrt the moves DRK, SMN, and maybe a couple others get that are short-range AoE Draw-Ins. There's absolutely no chance in hell those are gonna work reliably

Mr. Trampoline posted:

They basically DOTA-fied each job's kit for PvP and I'm actually really excited to try it out. It's probably going to be really dumb (and frontlines is going to be pure chaos) but might be fun?

Honestly I kind of expect it to be a total shitshow once all the AoE LBs start going off at once lol

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Chillgamesh posted:

Honestly I kind of expect it to be a total shitshow once all the AoE LBs start going off at once lol

All I want out of new PVP is one multi-kill Analysis Chainsaw.

Just rev it up and launch it into a pitched battle in Frontlines and score multiple OHKOs. :pray:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

For what it’s worth on the Samurai changes. I’ve been hearing in a few places that the math was done and Samurai lost 3 dps.

Not 3%, 3 whole damage per second.

In saying that, they should update the Iajutsu animation to start with the Kaiten animation now, seeing as it’s a cast time anyway.

Either that or give Kaiten back next expansion but it is on a charge system and modifies the Iajutsu into a different attack.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Chillgamesh posted:

This is my thought process, especially wrt the moves DRK, SMN, and maybe a couple others get that are short-range AoE Draw-Ins. There's absolutely no chance in hell those are gonna work reliably

right, the pull stuff was a big part of what i was thinking of, plus things like Guard or other abilities that clearly care a lot about timing windows. the big question we'll have to see is if things favor the attackers or the defenders

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think they should just give up and make that Final Fantasy MOBA they clearly want to make.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
In the Ninja PvP abilities, is Hollow Nozuchi just a passive that gets applied when you hit things in Doton?

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/ninja/#pvp

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If it's anything like PvE Nozuchi then yes.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Tooltip says

quote:

Requires the execution of a weaponskill, Hyosho Ranryu, or Goka Mekkyaku.

So those should proc it immediately provided you're within 100y of your Doton circle

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Pre-patch is up.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Talking about job changes, I'm pretty happy with Dancer. No potency buffs but now you don't get punished for hitting Flourish with any procs active since they are now separated. :toot:

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Countblanc posted:

You don't like running right next to a person and having your move start and then stop because the server updated and despite being right next to them you're too apparently too far away. I realize my internet isn't great but I legitimately can't hit a moving person in frontlines as a melee job sometimes.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
PS5 version just updated. The hidden trophy description has me pretty interested in this bit of story.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hellioning posted:

I think they should just give up and make that Final Fantasy MOBA they clearly want to make.

Oh yeah? Who's going to direct it? YoshiP?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So who from FFVIII gets to be the Invoker of FF MOBA, where they get a bunch of spells and most of the challenge is in understanding your own kit well enough to use it all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Argas posted:

Oh yeah? Who's going to direct it? YoshiP?

pls keep your voice down