Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Despera posted:

Iraq also invaded a neighboring state unprovoked

Coalition of the Willing was gulf war 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

killer_robot posted:

Coalition of the Willing was gulf war 2.

oh yeah kuwait too

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Did anyone bring up the 100 person "purge" of the FSB?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
What was the site that people use for translating Ukrainian to English that seemed to work better than Google. I believe there was a pay option but the free one seemed to work just fine.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/cossackgundi/status/1513768135375077379?t=iE0oV7HxPSBnw0MDzGTvkQ&s=19

Expect this guy to get trodded around ad nuseum

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Despera posted:

Iraq also invaded a neighboring state unprovoked

He did ask the US for permission first.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CapnPegLeg posted:

On the same day as the rumored chemical attack...the Ukrainian government contacts me after a solid month of vetting to say I've been green lit and issues me an official invite to Kyiv.
What are the chances? And yes, they know about my lovely prosthetic.
(Can verify for mods. Say no to more war tourists)

I hope you know what you’re getting yourself into, if so, good luck.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sad Panda posted:

What was the site that people use for translating Ukrainian to English that seemed to work better than Google. I believe there was a pay option but the free one seemed to work just fine.

for images this seems to work well, Idk how it compares to google tho
https://translate.yandex.com/ocr

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sandweed posted:

He did ask the US for permission first.

And he was totally justified because they were drilling into his oiiiiiil

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

TheFluff posted:

The Cyrillic alphabet is called Cyrillic after Saint Cyril, a Byzantine missionary who created... well, not Cyrillic, but the glagolitic alphabet, which was used to write the first Slavic literary language (Old Church Slavonic). The Grand Duchy of Moscow had pretty close ties to the Byzantines in the middle ages, and the claim of Moscow as the "Third Rome" specifically comes from Ivan III, Grand Prince of Moscow, who married a niece of the last Byzantine emperor some 20 years after the fall of Constantinople, and was the first to call himself "tsar". The Russian Orthodox Church however effectively became a state church in the 1600's and Peter the Great abolished the patriarchy in the early 1700's.

After Nicholas abdication the last vestiges of the imperial authority remained in the Finnish senate. After the October revolution the senate declared independence from Bolshevic Russia and the independence was recognized by Lenin. The senate authority was later transferred to the Finnish parliament, which is still in power today. Therefore, Finland is the last inheritor of the Roman empire, or Fourth Rome.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mystic Mongol posted:

Sure, I'll start. Remember the Coalition of the Willing? The US spent years building up to the Iraq war loudly explaining its (entirely fictitious) reasons for the upcoming conflict, and rounded up dozens of other countries to give the upcoming slaughter moral legitimacy. Compare and contrast to Russia who, up until the day before the invasion of Ukraine, was claiming it had no plans to invade, and went to war with noted independent third party Belarus. Things can always get worse.

I didn't think I'd ever hold up George Bush as having done a good job, but time and Putin make fools of us all.

i don't find much... comfort or whatever in the US managing to leverage enough diplomatic power in advance of the iraq war to find a group of countries willing to pay lip service to a stupid war. im glad that basically nobody wants to support putin other than reluctant, punished lukashenko, and that even central asia has largely issued a soflty-spoken (or unexpectedly somewhat harshly-spoken, in the unexpected case of Uzbekistan) "gently caress you" to Russia (Japarov excluded)

Putin may have gone to war without much international support, which he didn't much think he'd need or benefit from, but idk, poo poo still sucks, and im still disheartened by apparent higher domestic support than i'd have hoped (granted, estimation of this is a bit of a clusteruck for the forseeable future, but it's not zero). thankfully russia has fuckall economic influence other than selling oil and dispersing proceeds from such via remittances by central asian migrant workers

bad_fmr posted:

After Nicholas abdication the last vestiges of the imperial authority remained in the Finnish senate. After the October revolution the senate declared independence from Bolshevic Russia and the independence was recognized by Lenin. The senate authority was later transferred to the Finnish parliament, which is still in power today. Therefore, Finland is the last inheritor of the Roman empire, or Fourth Rome.

:hmmyes:

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 12, 2022

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

bad_fmr posted:

Indeed! See also this handy diagram explaining the same:

d64
Jan 15, 2003
It would be a timeline: Russia uses chemical or biological weapons in the war, the NFZ is established... all the while we're still paying them for gas and oil.

PegLegActual
Sep 11, 2001

Real Pirate. Real Amputee. Limping Through Life.

Rinkles posted:

I hope you know what you’re getting yourself into, if so, good luck.

I unfortunately do. This is a traveling position however so my slow speed will hopefully not endanger anyone on the front lines. It has been stressed to me that my position isn't primarily a combat one although I am armed. Still working out logistics which are a challenge. Also having to ensure the wife doesn't see anything with "chemical attack" in the news.

I've been in communication with a couple of Goons in Poland so hopefully you'll at least get a war related Goonmeet out of this as I head to the border.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

jaete posted:

Indeed! See also this handy diagram explaining the same:

When Prime Minister Sauli Niinistö Cross the Rubcon with his army to show he is rightful emperor, I feel Italy will be rather confused.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The Iraq war happened at a special time when USA was stoked at putting an end to terrorism forever by turning Middle East into a western democracy and was raising WMD hysteria to help selling the point.

It was weird then and sounds even crazier now, but intended audiences at home bought the case and some really believed that Baghdad and Kabul would become shining beacons of liberty that would drag Tehran and Islamabad and all to 21st century with them.

Of course it helped that Saddam was already pariah so no one really rooted for him personally even if the invasion was disgusting.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Well given that he was in favour of the UK giving up the Trident nuclear deterrent it’s probably the lesser of 2 evils that the Churchill bobble-head is in charge right now.

Oh, I googled his views on Russia and apparently he’s in the ‘NATO aggression, both sides at fault’ camp. What a gem.

Corbyn warns of Putin back in 2001
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/jeremy-corbyns-2001-warning-about-valdimir-putin-resurfaces-314188/

Says Tony Blair should not visit russia because putin has blood on his hands in 2000:
https://twitter.com/weemoxy1/status/1499858625896095749

Calling to freeze russian assets on more than one occasion
https://twitter.com/Greenrecovery21/status/1499851219745091585

IIRC a few years ago Corbyn was also one of the very few MPs who wanted to put a stop to russian oligarchs using London as a hub for laundering money.

There are loads of details like this, but it's pretty clear that Corbyn is no friend of Russia and before the war broke out did more to warn and act against russia than any tory ever did who was/is in bed with the oligarchs and benefitted from their money laundering.

The worst you can say about corbyn is he's too pacifist and anti-war.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Nenonen posted:

The Iraq war happened at a special time when USA was stoked at putting an end to terrorism forever by turning Middle East into a western democracy and was raising WMD hysteria to help selling the point.

It was weird then and sounds even crazier now, but intended audiences at home bought the case and some really believed that Baghdad and Kabul would become shining beacons of liberty that would drag Tehran and Islamabad and all to 21st century with them.

Of course it helped that Saddam was already pariah so no one really rooted for him personally even if the invasion was disgusting.

In the case of Iraq, it wasn't entirely crazy on the face of it. Iraq had a tradition of secular rationalism, had been a democracy, and was a relatively centralised state. You could almost imagine a competent rebuilding succeeding in the fashion of Germany or Japan.

Of course, in practice the rebuilding was overseen by far right stooges hopped up on Randian ideology who proceeded to botch every aspect of the rebuilding and demolish as much of the state infrastructure as they could so the free market could flourish (tm).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The crazy part was the belief that once Arabs and Persians saw their neigbours get freedom(TM) they would immediately abandon their Moon God and just transition into happy clients of USA. It was a total pipe dream.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Let’s wrap up UKPol and reminiscing about Iraq War.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
So are people going back to Kyiv now who fled earlier? I haven't really seen anything about the flow of refugees since Russia's Kyiv and Sumy fronts collapsed. NYT had an article about trains west being "full" and trains east "largely empty" but they didn't describe the reference point for "east" and "west". I haven't seen anything in domestic EU politics recently about refugees either, e.g. if more places are needed, if accommodations are sufficient, ...

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Mosley

He was head of the FIA which is F1's parent company.
Don't forget about his predecessor, Jean-Marie Balestre, who was a literal French SS member.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CapnPegLeg posted:

I unfortunately do. This is a traveling position however so my slow speed will hopefully not endanger anyone on the front lines. It has been stressed to me that my position isn't primarily a combat one although I am armed. Still working out logistics which are a challenge. Also having to ensure the wife doesn't see anything with "chemical attack" in the news.

I've been in communication with a couple of Goons in Poland so hopefully you'll at least get a war related Goonmeet out of this as I head to the border.
Whoa, you're actually going there? I somehow haven't seen your previous posts. Are you still in Warsaw? What is your role going to be if it's not top secret spy poo poo?

Saladman posted:

So are people going back to Kyiv now who fled earlier? I haven't really seen anything about the flow of refugees since Russia's Kyiv and Sumy fronts collapsed. NYT had an article about trains west being "full" and trains east "largely empty" but they didn't describe the reference point for "east" and "west". I haven't seen anything in domestic EU politics recently about refugees either, e.g. if more places are needed, if accommodations are sufficient, ...
I don't have any data on this. It does feel like the flow to the EU slowed down, though I imagine that anyone who managed to find a place would want to stay put because you never know what the crazy russians might do.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

PT6A posted:

Also, as others have mentioned: Saddam was a really lovely person who very certainly committed war crimes. By rights, he should've gone to the Hague and died in a prison cell instead of ending up on the gallows in Iraq. Even if the war was a gigantic clusterfuck, and it totally was, the world is better off for not having Hussein in it. The best thing you could say about him is he kept things so brutally repressed by any means necessary that it was convenient for our own interests, and honestly... that's not great.
The removal of Hussein led to two decades of war throughout multiple countries causing hundreds of thousands of deaths and millions of refugees.

You don't get a free "start an illegal war of aggression and murder countless people"-card just because a country is run by an awful dictator.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Iraq War talk :words:

There's a book by Hans-Christof Sponeck, A Different Kind of War. Sponeck was the former UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Iraq until, like his predecessor Denis Halliday, he resigned over the vile cruelty that were the US enforced sanctions, which only hurt the civilian population, while Saddam and his cronies lived in luxury. The sanctions even strenghtened Saddam's grip of the country because the Ba'ath Party, thanks to a relatively well functioning rationing system, was the only provider of basic needs.

In a just world Bush, Rumsfeld, Cheney and all the other ghouls would be rotting in a cell in The Hague, together with the countless war criminals among the US armed forces.

Unfortunately there is no way to enforce this, so all we can do for now is support Ukraine in every possible way and contain the Russian aggression. But implying that the US war in Iraq was somehow morally superior to what the Russians are now doing in Ukraine, is ridiculous and a hideous mockery of the countless innocent victims that the US either directly or indirectly murdered in Iraq and across multiple conflicts all across the world. Both wars share some of the same characteristics when it comes to propaganda, pettiness (freedom fries) and sheer barbarity.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 12, 2022

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
A chemical weapon expert weighs in on the possibility of a chemical attack:

https://twitter.com/DanKaszeta/status/1513798406849933313?t=rT11lLqGs9Hx4tv6NJcVBw&s=19

Quite possibly smoke inhalation or something along those lines, not enough information is available to say much right now.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I just saw some planes flying in tight circles over a nearby military base in Southern Germany, however, Flightradar didn’t show anything. Are military planes allowed to hide their position and is it unusual if they do it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Honj Steak posted:

I just saw some planes flying in tight circles over a nearby military base in Southern Germany, however, Flightradar didn’t show anything. Are military planes allowed to hide their position and is it unusual if they do it?

They’re allowed to do that, and they normally don’t turn the position transmitters on for actual missions.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Honj Steak posted:

Around 70% are hidden at all times, be it training or actual deployment. So don't worry too much.
Flightradar only uses a public transponder btw, the actual transponders that allow towers and flight radars to track their planes are a different device, in case of the military, an encrypted one.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Honj Steak posted:

It's not unusual to see jets without transponders
It's not required of them too.
But if you see all military aircraft suddenly turn them off
Then it's not a bad time to cry
You are probably gonna die

PegLegActual
Sep 11, 2001

Real Pirate. Real Amputee. Limping Through Life.

mobby_6kl posted:

Whoa, you're actually going there? I somehow haven't seen your previous posts. Are you still in Warsaw? What is your role going to be if it's not top secret spy poo poo?

I don't have any data on this. It does feel like the flow to the EU slowed down, though I imagine that anyone who managed to find a place would want to stay put because you never know what the crazy russians might do.

No top secret stuff here. They've asked me to come be part of an investigations team. Going isn't set in stone yet as I'm still waiting on logistical information from the embassy. Another call tonight with the defense attache. Just a regular person. I volunteered to help get disabled individuals out of the warzone early on. I'm not even booking the Warsaw flight yet until I get the information I need. The Warsaw airport is full of wannabe mercs and so is Lyiv. I'm not going to just show up at the border like a lot of these folks have. I'll keep you guys updated on where the process is at. It certainly hasn't been quick. To their credit, they have spent a full month vetting me.

Apologies, no derail intended. I figured ya'll would be interested if any members joined the conflict.

PegLegActual fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 21, 2022

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Honj Steak posted:

Not at all unusual. Especially not if the airport had no civilian component.

Edit: To add something, a danish FTC told me that when our F-16 are travelling, only the first one has the transponder on, as a courtesy.

Trump fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 12, 2022

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

What are they going to do if it really is a chemical attack that they aren’t doing already?

Absolutely not. But the pressure from NATO on countries like Germany to abandon their distinction between offensive and defensive weaponry would certainly mount, and the trickle of tanks and self-propelled artillery and so on from Slovakia and the Czech Republic would probably start to include other countries imo.

Adenoid Dan posted:

A chemical weapon expert weighs in on the possibility of a chemical attack:

Yeah, this Ockham's razor take seems plausible given what we know at the moment:

https://twitter.com/DanKaszeta/status/1513804243802763266?s=20&t=UajB9AzJRv5sMnnXfsF8QQ

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Important update. Putin has announced the objective of the special military operation - it is to help people in Donbas.

https://twitter.com/ru_rbc/status/1513802614059773952

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I imagine the most helpful thing for them would be to stop drafting all able bodied men into military units that get send to attack entrenched Ukrainian positions..

zone
Dec 6, 2016

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Important update. Putin has announced the objective of the special military operation - it is to help people in Donbas.

https://twitter.com/ru_rbc/status/1513802614059773952

Special Depopulation Operation of the Donbass :sad:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

KillHour posted:

This just says he was into weird sex stuff, not that he was an actual Nazi.

I think some of that is because the News of the World ran a story about him having "Nazi themed orgies" and lost a Defamation case over it. Which has meant there tends to be a lot of dancing around issues when it comes to him.

I haven't read the judgment, but I think a lot of Mosley's case rested on "these sex workers* were just wearing leather coats and matching boots and generic red arm bands. They didn't have any actual SS badges, so weren't technically Nazi's."

*= It was the mid 2000's. They were describing these women as sex workers.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
He saved the people of Donbass from living in anxiety and fear of war, poverty and atrocities by showing them it could always be worse

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They’re allowed to do that, and they normally don’t turn the position transmitters on for actual missions.

Kikas posted:

Around 70% are hidden at all times, be it training or actual deployment. So don't worry too much.
Flightradar only uses a public transponder btw, the actual transponders that allow towers and flight radars to track their planes are a different device, in case of the military, an encrypted one.

Gervasius posted:

It's not unusual to see jets without transponders
It's not required of them too.
But if you see all military aircraft suddenly turn them off
Then it's not a bad time to cry
You are probably gonna die

Trump posted:

Not at all unusual. Especially not if the airport had no civilian component.

Edit: To add something, a danish FTC told me that when our F-16 are travelling, only the first one has the transponder on, as a courtesy.

Neat. Thanks! Would they fly completely silently or do they also have an encrypted transponder for their own military to see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Honj Steak posted:

Neat. Thanks! Would they fly completely silently or do they also have an encrypted transponder for their own military to see?

Safe to say their own military knows where they are, unless it’s US Rangers Ligma mission into North Korea or something.