Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bossk is very good if you're cagey about when you move him and load him up with aims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Funzo posted:

Finished up Bossk. Can't wait for him to get shot off the table before he makes his points back.
Also, I have come to the conclusion that I suck at taking pictures of my minis.

Everyone sucks at photographing their minis, but you freaking nailed his reptile skin, and gave his face a lot of character. Dude looks better than the official paint job.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, that's a sweet Bossk.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

StashAugustine posted:

AMG has been incredibly bad at communicating and even if you obsessively follow it there's a lot of info that's still unclear. That said it seems to be:
-New "mercenary" units that can be taken in multiple factions (ie Black Sun is CIS/Empire, Pykes are everyone) but will have some restrictions on both listbuilding and gameplay. Some existing units (the 3 bounty hunters and apparently the AA5?) are being updated to be mercenaries as well. Mercs are not going to be a unified faction, however
-A new listbuilding mechanic "battle forces" meant to represent specific battles- mentioned as forthcoming are Trade Federation on Naboo, 501st on Umbara, Rebels and Imperials on Hoth. They will have limits on what units you can take, new command cards, and different list building limits. They're going to be print and play at first but will probably be physical product in the future- unclear if they will have models or just cards
-Combining these two is the "Shadow Collective" battle force representing Maul and his Mandalorian army, which isn't affiliated with any faction but can take certain mercenaries as well as Maul, Mandalorian supercommandos, and apparently Gar Saxon; none of which are available to other lists

If the new Maul is only usable as part of a battleforce, and the Shadow Collective is not getting full faction treatment, I'll be pretty disappointed tbh. There is enough scope there to build it out.

Sadly AMG managed to firmly wedge their foot in mouth for the grand reveal and clearly put out the wrong teaser images for the super commandos.

Speaking of, they will be sadly under utilised if their list options are as thin as they appear.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I did not know that there is a separate Legion thread, so decided to cross post a bit. I myself do not play Legion (yet) but a friend of mine passes me his minis to be painted and I enjoy them a lot.

I'm still not 100% on how to do light sabers but I keep trying.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Those are great! Really impressive source lighting on Maul.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I did not know that there is a separate Legion thread, so decided to cross post a bit. I myself do not play Legion (yet) but a friend of mine passes me his minis to be painted and I enjoy them a lot.

Great stuff, particularly the faces!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Lightsabers are such a pain. It either you work the “golden angle” (which it looks like you did here) or you just try to a generic white-to-color transition on the whole blade. Golden angle looks better in photos from one position, the other tends to look better when you’re constantly moving your dudes around a table.

In any event I’m always awed by your stuff, so great work as always!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I wish I had any pictures of it, but in the way back when days of D20 I used to take cocktail swords and shave them down to make lightsaber blades for RPG characters. Worked reasonably well.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

ToyotaThong posted:

I've gotten a bit burned out on 40k as of late.
So, last year I bought a starter set of Legion.
Here are some not so great photos of my first units painted.

I switched over and shelved all of my 40k armies right when the new Custodes book came out. I'd been getting a little burnt on my armies already. Between that and how broken Custodes, Tau and Eldar are, I just didn't want to continue with that game

I've now got a huge Empire army painted and a very solid Rebels army both painted, and just traded a ton of Eldar for a Clones army which I'll work on next. This game has been so much more enjoyable than 40k.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Ugleb posted:

If the new Maul is only usable as part of a battleforce, and the Shadow Collective is not getting full faction treatment, I'll be pretty disappointed tbh. There is enough scope there to build it out.
It's been pretty much confirmed it's not a fully fledged faction, but might be a kind of catch-all for the more evil aligned mercs that get released.

Ewoks, which are confirmed in the future, will probably get a similar treatment. They can be a relatively inflexible army, or be added to Rebels as 1-2 units. It's probably far easier to balance this way.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Maybe so. I do expect to see Hondo and his Weequay pirates added as mercs though.

Possibly available to everyone but Empire, unless I am forgetting an episode where he probably tried to sell Spectre team to the Imps for a bounty. I feel like he would have.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Hondo can’t come to Legion soon enough because he is the best kind of total shitbag.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I’m really hoping they introduce Ahsoka with the 501st box that’s been talked about. If they do, I’ll have no choice but to start a Republic army.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Its still entirely unclear if there will be minis for other battleforces, and they're definitely releasing without new models. However AMG has confirmed Ashoka's in development, and added that she might get added to the 501st after release (though apparently it's pretty specifically based on the battle of Umbara rather than the legion in general.)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So how’s the Ewoks coming along? Need them and Chewie on an ATST. I wouldn’t say no to a couple porgs though

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Chill la Chill posted:

So how’s the Ewoks coming along? Need them and Chewie on an ATST. I wouldn’t say no to a couple porgs though

They haven't said anything since announcing that they are coming to the game eventually. I think they're doing another ministravaganza soon so that's when I'd expect news about all this stuff.

edit: it's in June so not THAT soon

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 14, 2022

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It would be nice if we got some battleforces that let us do like the TX tanks in rebels as retrofit surplus gear or "captured" AT-STs, etc.

Plus it would be a marketing opportunity to sell people stuff for a faction they may not buy on the reg.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Ewoks aren't coming until 2023 iirc, supposed to be a 40 year anniversary of ROTJ. (Chewie and ATST already exist though)

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'd just like to say that over the years I've played Warhammer, 40K, Blood Bowl, Warmachine, Battletech, and all kinds of other tabletop miniatures games...

...and the droidekas from the Clone Wars starter box are by far the biggest pain in the loving rear end miniatures to put together that I've ever dealt with in my loving life. :argh:

The clones and even the speeder bike were fine, but god drat gently caress literally everything about those droidekas.

They are two dozen parts 100% held together by glue, some of them literally just a smooth plastic surface glued to another (tiny) smooth plastic surface. At an angle. So you can sit there and hold them together while the glue dries. And inevitably sticks to your finger. gently caress them so loving much.

It doesn't help that I have what I call "stupid fingers" that just spaz out and fling bits in seemingly random directions moments before the glue was going to set or whatever.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 17, 2022

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Funzo posted:

I’m really hoping they introduce Ahsoka with the 501st box that’s been talked about. If they do, I’ll have no choice but to start a Republic army.

I have a feeling we will get Ashoka after the TV show comes out. Unless they do two versions of her.

Imagined posted:

I'd just like to say that over the years I've played Warhammer, 40K, Blood Bowl, Warmachine, Battletech, and all kinds of other tabletop miniatures games...

...and the droidekas from the Clone Wars starter box are by far the biggest pain in the loving rear end miniatures to put together that I've ever dealt with in my loving life. :argh:

The clones and even the speeder bike were fine, but god drat gently caress literally everything about those droidekas.

They are two dozen parts 100% held together by glue, some of them literally just a smooth plastic surface glued to another (tiny) smooth plastic surface. At an angle. So you can sit there and hold them together while the glue dries. And inevitably sticks to your finger. gently caress them so loving much.

It doesn't help that I have what I call "stupid fingers" that just spaz out and fling bits in seemingly random directions moments before the glue was going to set or whatever.

I expected the B1's to be annoying because everyone complains about them, and their needlessly two part tiny heads were indeed annoying.

I was not expecting the Droidekas to be worse, yet people rarely mention it. Fortunately there are far fewer of them to get through.

Worst mini to assemble however goes to the metal version of Katana from Knight Models Suicide Squad box. God drat that was infuriating.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 19, 2022

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ugleb posted:

I have a feeling we will get Ashoka after the TV show comes out. Unless they do two versions of her.

I expected the B1's to be annoying because everyone complains about them, and their needlessly two part tiny heads were indeed annoying.

I was not expecting the Droidekas to be worse, yet people rarely mention it. Fortunately there are far fewer of them to get through.

Worst mini to assemble however goes to the metal version of Katana from Knight Models Suicide Squad box. God drat that was infuriating.

For the longest time, I think nobody actually used the droidekas, or even thought they were worth putting together :v:

i assembled 2 sets of them :negative:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I keep having to take a break between between every B1 I put together because they make me so angry. Got the game last week and at this rate we'll get to play it in about ten more days, because every single Separatist model is the worst. I actually got this starter because I was thinking of playing that faction, and my son wanted to play the Republic, but I seriously don't think I could stand to put together any more of these little fuckers after this, especially knowing they're useless cannon fodder. It's that bad. You might have to assemble 300 of them but at least Warhammer fantasy goblin spearmen were like two, three pieces each, tops.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Yeah, both the B1s and Droidekas are really annoying, especially for a box that's going to be the first modeling experience for a lot of people. And even when they're built they still don't feel sturdy; you're almost afraid to touch them.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

At least B1s paint up fast!

Or so I hear, I got so frustrated that I never finished a squad and now I just play clones

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Yeah B1s are frontloaded time consuming, but you can paint up a whole unit nicely in a single sitting.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Those look really nice! I don't have any pictures on hand to show, all my Legion stuff has been boxed up pretty much since Covid hit, but I found that making the blades almost pure white where they meet the hilt and at the very tip helped sell the idea that it was an energy blade. Don't know if I 100% nailed it either, but it looked better than my first few attempts.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
One thing that's made the B1s at least a *little* easier for me has been leaving the back of their tiny loving head on the sprue until the glue sets for the faceplate. Then at least you only have to hold onto one tiny little bit.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

At least B1s paint up fast!

Or so I hear, I got so frustrated that I never finished a squad and now I just play clones

Yea they were absurdly easy to paint, all things considered.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Imagined posted:

One thing that's made the B1s at least a *little* easier for me has been leaving the back of their tiny loving head on the sprue until the glue sets for the faceplate. Then at least you only have to hold onto one tiny little bit.

I heard this magnificent tip a couple of days after I built 4 squads of the buggers!

Honestly I would give them a pass if the head was single piece. I just can't wrap my brain around why they thought it was necessary to make them like that.

I have also built two squads of Droidekas in both walking and wheel mode configuration. I don't care what the meta says, I'm using mine!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I finally finished the starter box B1s. The last six were a cinch, relatively, once I worked out a sort of assembly line system.

- Cut out all sprues except front and back of heads, sorting bits for each separate droid into different piles.
- Glue on all backpacks.
- Cut out all faceplates and glue to back of head while leaving the latter on the sprue.
- Glue on all legs on all droids.
- Glue all droids to bases.
- Glue on weapon arm on all droids.
- Glue on other arm on all droids.
- Cut assembled heads from sprue, glue on.

YMMV, of course, but this was what seemed to work best for me.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Imagined posted:

I finally finished the starter box B1s. The last six were a cinch, relatively, once I worked out a sort of assembly line system.

- Cut out all sprues except front and back of heads, sorting bits for each separate droid into different piles.
- Glue on all backpacks.
- Cut out all faceplates and glue to back of head while leaving the latter on the sprue.
- Glue on all legs on all droids.
- Glue all droids to bases.
- Glue on weapon arm on all droids.
- Glue on other arm on all droids.
- Cut assembled heads from sprue, glue on.

YMMV, of course, but this was what seemed to work best for me.

This is the way.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

The May 4th retail bundle offer is kinda blowing my mind.

For the price of a core set (£110 these days apparently), you get a core set and six expansions including a choice of commander.

I chucked stuff into a cart and the expansions alone added up to over £150. So it is something like 60% off.

Very tempted to grab the clones bundle and sell the core set off later as I already have two. I could maybe use the B1's from it to take me up to six squads, but I don't see myself needing a third squad of Droidekas, or 6 squads of phase 1 clones. Maybe a third Barc? I dunno.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Holy crap. That’s an amazing deal.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
For the first time in my life, I'm jealous of the UK

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

smug jeebus posted:

For the first time in my life, I'm jealous of the UK

Is it UK only? The asmodee clip I saw anmouncing it didn't specify.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Ugleb posted:

Is it UK only? The asmodee clip I saw anmouncing it didn't specify.
Some cursory googling made it seem that way, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

gently caress it might almost be worth ordering from the United Kingdom of great Britain and Northern Ireland for that bundle.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The boy and I finished the introductory game tonight. Loved it. He said, "We should play this EVERY Saturday!" I really love the command card / order token system and YGIG activation. That feels ultra modern and the most fair way to handle that sort of thing I've ever seen in any miniature wargame to date.

My only complaint so far is the supposed starter-box neither includes the "minimum" 800 points for any faction nor nearly enough dice. I'm wondering whether I should order another core set or just some more dice and dive into units.

Obi-Wan takes down General Grievous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Nice! A second core is definitely a good buy if you need the bits and both sides of the army. There's also official rules for 500 point games to start, though those are still pretty thin with just one core.