Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is that bit of metal with the blue on it not a very obvious 'use your rope pull skill here' thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Oh, I know this place.

Sakurazuka posted:

Is that bit of metal with the blue on it not a very obvious 'use your rope pull skill here' thing?

No, this is the light that shines through the other side. You see, this specific area is a cave that's walled off by two sets of those crumbly rocks, however, one set can only be interacted with from the inside of a cave because that's the intended exit.

They look identical.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Alhazred posted:

This has to be the worst puzzle in the entire game:

Figure out which piece of identical rock you can interactive in order to enter a cave.

I mean, that's what your focus is for?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Medullah posted:

I mean, that's what your focus is for?

"Scan the entire mountain for a small opening" doesn't make the puzzle better.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Alhazred posted:

"Scan the entire mountain for a small opening" doesn't make the puzzle better.

Huh I guess I got lucky, I never had an area that took more than a couple minutes to find. Well, except the underwater areas, gently caress those.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The ending doesn't really make any sense. If the Zeniths literally didn't want anything but to use earth as a pit stop, there are just pointless villians with no motivation for anything they did for the 10 minutes they were on screen. And Aloy and her crew accomplished literally nothing. The story is basically some space assholes came to earth just to be assholes for a bit. What's their motivation for terrorozing people? Well, they are just assholes. And oh the real threat. Not only is it not stopped but it's not even slowed down.

Really fun mission though the robot battle was epic even if you don't actually get to engage with it.

Like, the first game wrapped everything up nicely and then threw in a sequel hook which was fine, but this just straight up ended on a cliffhanger. Games that take 5-7 years to make should not end on cliffhangers imo.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It really feels like the people who designed the enemies and the people who designed the combat never communicated with each other

EDIT: Was this game rushed? Because I seriously don't understand how the Bulwark melee pit got through QA testing like this. The melee combat in general really, it's so sloooow for such a fast paced game.
EDIT2: I'm really confused because I loved the first game's combat but I don't quite understand what they did to gently caress it up so bad with this one.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 11, 2022

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

RatHat posted:

It really feels like the people who designed the enemies and the people who designed the combat never communicated with each other

EDIT: Was this game rushed? Because I seriously don't understand how the Bulwark melee pit got through QA testing like this. The melee combat in general really, it's so sloooow for such a fast paced game.
EDIT2: I'm really confused because I loved the first game's combat but I don't quite understand what they did to gently caress it up so bad with this one.

Just completed the Enduring on very hard, and that fight is absolute horseshit. The old lady can counter many strikes with no warning, including in the middle of combos that any other human in the game couldn’t counter. Even the block breaker doesn’t always stagger her. God help you if she pulls out her bow. She can fire off multiple arrows in quick succession that each do 150 damage, and they’re shot in a way that you’re all but guaranteed to get hit by at least one while you’re dodging. If you try to close her down when she pulls out the bow, she’ll just shoot you with the arrow rapidly even while getting hit with your spear. Occasionally, she can even use special explosive arrows.

Whoever designed the melee combat was terrible at their job. I like that they tried making melee more important and expanded from ZD, but it’s so horribly implemented, especially with no block button.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nottherealaborn posted:

Whoever designed the melee combat was terrible at their job. I like that they tried making melee more important and expanded from ZD, but it’s so horribly implemented, especially with no block button.

That was the big one for me. With the roll being shorter and there being no way to block attacks, melee was always risky as hell. I like the idea of the Shieldwire tripcaster but I just couldn't find a good way to use it often.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's at least one robot from the 1st game that has an AOE attack specifically used when you get in Mele range lol

veni veni veni posted:

The ending doesn't really make any sense.
It makes sense in the continuation of the theme that self-involved rich assholes are a cancer. These folks like 100 lifetimes and the only thing they accomplished was making an angry-rear end cyber ID full of hate that rivaled the Faro Swarm in terms of destruction.

now, they're saying gently caress You Die to an entire planet brought back from extinction because their own needs are greater.

also, anyone with half a brain knows that sending a massive, malevolent AI to a planet with a bunch of deactivated self-replicating kill bots is a bad idea. Their brilliant plan of a fractal escape route works only on a scale of time, which is easily worked around if your AI Devil can send out droneships to survey the routes you plan on taking.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nottherealaborn posted:

Just completed the Enduring on very hard, and that fight is absolute horseshit. The old lady can counter many strikes with no warning, including in the middle of combos that any other human in the game couldn’t counter. Even the block breaker doesn’t always stagger her. God help you if she pulls out her bow. She can fire off multiple arrows in quick succession that each do 150 damage, and they’re shot in a way that you’re all but guaranteed to get hit by at least one while you’re dodging. If you try to close her down when she pulls out the bow, she’ll just shoot you with the arrow rapidly even while getting hit with your spear. Occasionally, she can even use special explosive arrows.

I just fought her too. It wasn't as bad for me as the shield guy where I beat him with 4 seconds left, but it was absolutely comical how the enduring would just instadrop me with her bow at complete random. I probably did 30 tries, almost all of them block breaker spam then detonating resonators. No real reason I won , because that time she stayed staggered instead of breaking free and doing the arrow
I didn't think her melee counters were any worse than the shield guys 180 backhand or his shield interrupt

That being said, I absolutely slept on the healing valor surge. When you get valor on impact, it just stays on forever. I fought some clawsrtriders in melee only with my unupgraded legendary armor, and just couldn't die. Spent a lot of time knocked down but was pretty fun

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 11, 2022

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

I just fought her too. It wasn't as bad for me as the shield guy where I beat him with 4 seconds left, but it was absolutely comical how the enduring would just instadrop me with her bow at complete random. I probably did 30 tries, almost all of them block breaker spam then detonating resonators. No real reason I won , because that time she stayed staggered instead of breaking free and doing the arrow
I didn't think her melee counters were any worse than the shield guys 180 backhand or his shield interrupt

I only had 4-5 seconds left on shield man too! It’s insane how much health and armor human enemies have compared to you, especially for how much damage their basic arrows and melee can do to you.

For the enduring, it took me just as many tries as you and had the same strategy. On the last time, I got lucky and actually got to use a critical strike to finish her off.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I also just cannot do the final gauntlet race. I'm definitely having fun loving with robots now that I've done the whole game, but those side tasks are brutally balanced.

I did find the salvage contracts to be silly : there are just SO MANY of them, where half the time is traveling back to turn them in.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

I also just cannot do the final gauntlet race. I'm definitely having fun loving with robots now that I've done the whole game, but those side tasks are brutally balanced.

I did find the salvage contracts to be silly : there are just SO MANY of them, where half the time is traveling back to turn them in.

I'm just glad that fast travel packs are cheap, for the first part of the game I was conserving them and going to campfires to travel every time, but around halfway through I said eff it and just quick travelled everywhere. Definitely good for salvage missions since you can travel right there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Medullah posted:

I'm just glad that fast travel packs are cheap, for the first part of the game I was conserving them and going to campfires to travel every time, but around halfway through I said eff it and just quick travelled everywhere. Definitely good for salvage missions since you can travel right there.

A pointless “trick” given how cheap they are, but you can always fast travel back to the base for free and it’ll drop you right by the campfire on either side so if you REALLY want to save the shards, a quick jump to base meant free fast travel anywhere else.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

veni veni veni posted:

The ending doesn't really make any sense. If the Zeniths literally didn't want anything but to use earth as a pit stop, there are just pointless villians with no motivation for anything they did for the 10 minutes they were on screen. And Aloy and her crew accomplished literally nothing. The story is basically some space assholes came to earth just to be assholes for a bit. What's their motivation for terrorozing people? Well, they are just assholes. And oh the real threat. Not only is it not stopped but it's not even slowed down.
They return to Earth for two reasons, to get a copy of GAIA and her subordinate functions so they can terraform a new world to hide from Nemesis, and to restock on supplies for the trip there. All the times we come into conflict with them (until the end) it’s because they’re going after GAIA, one of the other functions, and/or Beta at the same time we are.

Edit: As to what Aloy and friends accomplished: Got the last copy of GAIA (which otherwise would be in the hands of the Zeniths), which will allow them to fix Earth; got the other subordinate functions, including the APOLLO database from the Zeniths; learned about Nemesis, giving them a chance to prepare; and rescued Beta.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 11, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A pointless “trick” given how cheap they are, but you can always fast travel back to the base for free and it’ll drop you right by the campfire on either side so if you REALLY want to save the shards, a quick jump to base meant free fast travel anywhere else.

For 99% of the time after unlocking the Base I forgot about the campfire outside the east door. Which is right outside the door. I fast travelled to the west campfire everytime up until the very end. So many pointless runs from that little camp on the west side with the rumour lady and hunter merchant to the cliff up the hill and then grappling to it and then going through the base door :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just spent all my animal meat on fast travel packs because I sure got a lot of it from trying to get pouch parts

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Lobok posted:

For 99% of the time after unlocking the Base I forgot about the campfire outside the east door. Which is right outside the door. I fast travelled to the west campfire everytime up until the very end. So many pointless runs from that little camp on the west side with the rumour lady and hunter merchant to the cliff up the hill and then grappling to it and then going through the base door :(

Pretty sure you always go to the west door when you fast travel from west of the base, and the same for east. I don't think you get to choose.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Klungar posted:

Pretty sure you always go to the west door when you fast travel from west of the base, and the same for east. I don't think you get to choose.

If you zoom in enough to just select the campfire, you can fast travel directly to the East campfire. This will also negate the “trick” for free fast travel from anywhere though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Klungar posted:

Nottherealaborn posted:

If you zoom in enough to just select the campfire, you can fast travel directly to the East campfire. This will also negate the “trick” for free fast travel from anywhere though.

I either selected the base itself and it defaulted or if I happened to be zoomed in I selected the west fire but I wouldn't have cared about the cost of going to the east one. Just plum forgot about it. I gladly would have eaten the cost for the extra convenience.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

haveblue posted:

I just spent all my animal meat on fast travel packs because I sure got a lot of it from trying to get pouch parts

I killed soooo many crabs just so Aloy could glam up her pouch with one crab shell that was prettier than the others.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I feel like they made the crafting costs for the Legendary weapons a bit too high, so that it's unlikely many would devote the time to upgrade them for the final few missions.

Anyway I finished this a few weeks ago and thoughts:

WTF:
Too Many Ammo Types
They should have condensed Purgewater and Plasma, have it so a successful plasmawater charge negates elemental attacks and thr bonus plasma blast can happen with enough charge anyway. Override Focus arrows should have been an Add-On/Special and not a whole-rear end ammo category.

Too Many Status Types
On Aloy, specifically. Oh my focus won't work. Oh I have a broken bone I guess? And now my potions aren't as good or are as good? Iono man.

Weapon Balance
Because of the myriad ammos I never felt like a legendary bow was worth it.

Weapon Distribution
Earlier in the thread someone was like "sweet! I can finally upgrade my stuff. I can choose... a bow with acid. Or a shredder with acid, or a long- bow.... with acid." And like 2/3 of the early half enemies are plasma/purge/fire weak but where the gently caress was that poo poo.

Aloy's Fuckin Pouch
Carries too much poo poo. I just need a drat smoke bomb not 2 MREs, 4 potions. Etc

The Good

RIGHT TO IT
Did not expect the story to just pick up from the Meridian fight.

Sylens: Not a Total Dick
Put aside for the moment that 80% of his lording over everyone is the result of him spoon-feeding a malevolent AI and gaining Arcane Secrets from it... his plan to orchestrate a hijack and save his own rear end kind of endeared him to me. He's still a loving cocksucker, but at least it wasn't just I'm Eeeeevil!

Eat the Rich
The game starts with lovely tech bros and never stops. It warms my heart to see so much hate against the supposed betters of the world being small-minded, uncreative gits who squander functional immortality by just reliving their greatest hits and shitposting from the confines of a VR Murder world.
I also love how Sylens' whole deal dovetails with this. He's exactly the kind of rear end in a top hat who would gate knowledge and horde resources for his benefit because "everyone else doesn't deserve it".

Side quests Aplenty
There's a lot of really small but memorable things written into the story. The old Tenakht woman who wants to reconnect with the Utaru she had a fling with, the Oseram tracking down a repeating signal; the Tenakht Elder fighting dementia; the 5 little messages left in the base by its builders.... all really great moments

Getting Past Sobek
In many ways! Hearing more about her as a person, having Aloy begin to move past her idolatry of her and establish herself more. I feel like this game let us step out of that shadow.

The Friends We Made
I'm interested to see how Aloy's education initiative affects things. Granted making everyone more tech-focused while an AI is gunning for the planet kind of seems bad but I guess we'll find out in X years.

This Game is Pretty.
Wow. I can't wait to see what a later-cycle PS5 specific Horizon will look like without the PS4/Pro cruft.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

On the topic of too many weapon or ammo types, I'm also not sure why Adhesive ammo and ropecasters are both in the game. They're two versions of the same thing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Put aside for the moment that 80% of his lording over everyone is the result of him spoon-feeding a malevolent AI and gaining Arcane Secrets from it... his plan to orchestrate a hijack and save his own rear end kind of endeared him to me. He's still a loving cocksucker, but at least it wasn't just I'm Eeeeevil!

I think it's time to acknowledge that Sylen's plan really sucked. Starting a civil war, hoping that his side survives with enough people and machines and then just throwing them at the zenith and hoping they don't notice him sneaking in and stealing their poo poo. Actually working with Aloy would've been the smartest choice.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I also didn't love Aloy's plan because we have been used to seeing Cauldrons and the only thing that prevented the good guys from being swarmed by the Zeniths' machines was conveniently a Cauldron that worked like a Star Trek replicator.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I thought Aloy’s plan was clever, I just find it frustrating when a game hides the protagonist’s thoughts from the player just for the sake of a dramatic reveal. I am Aloy, I should not be in the dark about what she is saying to other people.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Eggnogium posted:

I thought Aloy’s plan was clever, I just find it frustrating when a game hides the protagonist’s thoughts from the player just for the sake of a dramatic reveal. I am Aloy, I should not be in the dark about what she is saying to other people.

christ knows she never leaves you in the dark about anything else

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Has there been any official word on NG+? I know HZD didn't have one at launch and it was added later

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ok I can accept finding potions and traps in ancient chests but I draw the line at meat

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't think of game where I opened so many chests and never found single goddamn thing to get excited about in any of them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh I think HFW has the single worst loot/rewards/upgrade system of any game I can think of. It's pretty much a constant stream of apathy and disappointment.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

One thing I liked about the loot was that it added to the narrative that a lot of knowledge is lost. So keys are labeled as "old bell" and wrist watches are "black armbands".

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Alhazred posted:

One thing I liked about the loot was that it added to the narrative that a lot of knowledge is lost. So keys are labeled as "old bell" "ancient chimes" and wrist watches are "black armbands".

Close enough. :)

Yeah I liked that too, but there was definitely some iffyness on the level of stuff that Aloy knows about from the modern world. One of the ruins is an office building and she calls it that...why would she know what an office is? I guess the magic answer is "It was all in her focus and the archives" but stilllll

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is hitting the time limits in the arena even possible on the harder difficulties?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

RatHat posted:

Is hitting the time limits in the arena even possible on the harder difficulties?

The guide I watched on YouTube for the slitherfang on very hard had the player practically never miss a shot with the shredder and rarely take damage, and they still only finished with 5 seconds left. It was at that point I decided to finish the entire arena on story mode because that level of challenge is not fun to me.

I’ll probably return to the arena after I finish the game to try them on harder difficulties, but maybe not very hard.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nottherealaborn posted:

The guide I watched on YouTube for the slitherfang on very hard had the player practically never miss a shot with the shredder and rarely take damage, and they still only finished with 5 seconds left. It was at that point I decided to finish the entire arena on story mode because that level of challenge is not fun to me.

I’ll probably return to the arena after I finish the game to try them on harder difficulties, but maybe not very hard.

I gave up last night on very hard due to the slitherfang fight. I found the earlier fights fun and challenging, but with the locked load out I just could not do it

It was kind of funny going through the other 20 fights on story difficulty and just nuking stuff

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

I gave up last night on very hard due to the slitherfang fight. I found the earlier fights fun and challenging, but with the locked load out I just could not do it

It was kind of funny going through the other 20 fights on story difficulty and just nuking stuff

I actually like that each difficulty has its own leaderboard and the story ones are hilarious. Like there’s people genuinely competing for 1-3 second clears.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I actually like that each difficulty has its own leaderboard and the story ones are hilarious. Like there’s people genuinely competing for 1-3 second clears.

Yeah, I found it hilarious that my 15-30 second clears were magnitudes worse than the leaderboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
The most frustrating one is the bellowback/shellsnapper fight, it's really dumb putting an enemy that can randomly burrow underground for long periods of time and sometimes will repeatedly reburrow as soon as they emerge in a tightly timed fight.