Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

How can I make money off of Russia inevitably not invading Ukraine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Red and Black posted:

IDK. Unlike Biden, they are smart enough to not wade into the shitshow of deciding if a small incursion counts as an invasion.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Red and Black posted:

Short the MIC

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Short the MIC

Nah, they'll make off like bandits whatever happens

Zeta Taskforce posted:

IDK. Unlike Biden, they are smart enough to not wade into the shitshow of deciding if a small incursion counts as an invasion.

By they you mean predictit?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Red and Black posted:

By they you mean predictit?

Yes. You should always read the rules in any market you invest in. They try to always have clear deadlines and clear things that need to happen in that time frame. Decisions have to be final, they can't undo a botched market, but they still want to avoid screwing things up.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Why can't they just say an incursion of a battalion of troops or more before the end of March equals an invasion? I would bet on that. What's the point of an all out media offensive to convince us a war is happening if I can't make a quick buck off of it?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they tend to avoid markets that directly involve death

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

i say swears online posted:

Yeah, thats fair

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

given what i've seen some commenters do in order to try to scoop info or alter the market, this is a good policy decision, otherwise some random PI user would spark a war so he wins $3000

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my trunk full of rope and duct tape says that filibuster ends today

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ever since a crazy guy threatened to kill Andrew Yang over the tweet markets they've been pretty gun-shy.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

heh

Private Witt
Feb 21, 2019
Michelle Childs is currently trading in the low 20s to be Biden's pick for the Supreme Court, and she is realistically worth about 3c.

Easy, easy NO that is (almost) free money.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

Private Witt posted:

Michelle Childs is currently trading in the low 20s to be Biden's pick for the Supreme Court, and she is realistically worth about 3c.

Easy, easy NO that is (almost) free money.

Yeah, I was amazed when that was up at 30c earlier this month; I already put as much as I'm willing to on No when she first jumped up to the 20s on the basis of "Clyburn and Graham like her".

As silly as the "How many times will the president say [words] in [speech]?" markets are, for a quick payout I also really like 3 or fewer No in the "How many times will Biden say "Russia" or "Putin" in the State of the Union?" market. (For comparison, he said "Russia" three times and "Putin" once in his first joint address to Congress at the end of April last year.)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I have a double max on KBJ yes and childs no, feeling safe with it

I always get hosed in mention markets but this is the first one in forever so I slipped a few buys in on rando brackets at .04. I let the bids run for 24 hours and cancelled the ones that didn't fill, so I only have like $30 in the market but it seems like a good play

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Atahualpa posted:

As silly as the "How many times will the president say [words] in [speech]?" markets are, for a quick payout I also really like 3 or fewer No in the "How many times will Biden say "Russia" or "Putin" in the State of the Union?" market. (For comparison, he said "Russia" three times and "Putin" once in his first joint address to Congress at the end of April last year.)

I'm liking "No" on 11+ mentions.

e: Nevermind.

Merlot Brougham has issued a correction as of 05:14 on Feb 24, 2022

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Holy poo poo, the Josh Hawley market finally closed.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

anyone in on TX28

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

betting cuellar, the man whose offices were raided by the fbi, purely on the basis that elections like these have tended to go poorly for bernie wing candidates

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

also have money on the criminal

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
when is the primary in texass?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

early may but don't know the date offhand

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
French election Round 1 is days away and the markets are starting to pick up some action again.

Anyone been dabbling in this one since my last post? I've done okay so far with the strategy I outlined. Bought against the field mostly and have Le Pen finishing 2nd in round 1, etc.

Should be some money for the taking if it's going to be anything like the last French election. if you get in on election night round 1 this Sunday, just remember - the day-of French exit polls/projections are extremely accurate.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

WHEW i'm so glad this isn't a nailbiter, i had too much into macron 2nd no

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gaze in wonder in the worst bet i've made in months. white-knuckling it a few hours ago from a bet made last month

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

gaze in wonder in the worst bet i've made in months. white-knuckling it a few hours ago from a bet made last month

97c!?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

so much risked, for so little reward

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
All water under the bridge. On to Round 2. Easy money.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Only registered members can see post attachments!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmfaooo someone beat me

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

WampaLord posted:

so much risked, for so little reward
The finance industry term is "picking up pennies in front of a steamroller"

My predictit strategy so far has been to buy
1) Foregone conclusions, especially things that have already happened
2) Positions opposite to people who are clearly not betting rationally, such as all the MAGA money

Sometimes these overlap, such as betting Trump would not win California.

At the time I bought in, Le Pen was way behind in the polls and looked like she had some MAGA-money enthusiasm. But I clearly misjudged; I think delusional cheerleaders don't make sophisticated bets like second place or margin of victory, they just buy "my guy will win". Witness, for instance, how you can almost always buy "democrat no" for cheaper than "republican yes" in places where those are the only two options.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah probably 80% of my bets are NO whatever

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It helps that in most elections democrats are known losers.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Red and Black posted:

Good job they didn't offer this market!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i would have lost so much loving money

the logic was that they didn't have nearly enough troops for a proper invasion and things would get bogged down quickly with heavy losses on both sides, so lol

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

i would have lost so much loving money

the logic was that they didn't have nearly enough troops for a proper invasion and things would get bogged down quickly with heavy losses on both sides, so lol

Never bet on logically arrived conclusions my friend, for you will resent it's absence in the results.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Will Sweden or Finland take formal steps to join NATO in 2022? seems way underpriced right now (at 89%).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah that's almost a bond. I haven't bought it but wouldn't blame someone who does

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hmm, just either has to be offered an "Intensified Dialogue" or an "Action Plan" (jesus, sounds like an HR intervention) to resolve to yes.

Even Ukraine has an "intensified dialogue" right now. This does sound like pretty easy money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

yeah that's almost a bond. I haven't bought it but wouldn't blame someone who does

France paying bonds for the same price but it pays in a few days. We're all double maxed for Sunday in France right?