Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
the commodore episode is really bad, and the london one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

yeah, the commodore is straight awful. everything else is watchable to great

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
'Lady In Waiting': solid enough, if nothing especially outstanding about the howcatchum aspects. The most interesting thing was the show's first female killer [EDIT: that I've seen; the two pilots aren't in the supposedly 'Complete' DVD set, annoyingly], and the way she was initially presented as unfairly downtrodden to catch the audience's sympathies... only for her to gradually make them go "wait, maybe her family had a point, she's an unstable rear end in a top hat." (This was also the first time a suspect finally cracked and told Columbo to gently caress off with his harassment, if not in those exact words.)

Only a few episodes in, and Columbo's "personable bumbler (which is 50% an act, but you don't know which 50%)" shtick is now solidified. It's amazing how quickly both Falk and the writers found a character who not only lasted for decades, but is arguably timeless.

Also: Oscar Goldman as the victim! Drebin again! drat, did Leslie Neilsen always look 67 years old even when he was playing a dashing young corporate up-and-comer?

Edit: I genuinely thought the gotcha would be "you have two servants in the house, but your fingerprints are on the light bulb", but early 70s Columbo ain't CSI.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 12, 2022

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nothing to contribute, other than this was the best piece of music used on the original run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khO0m-sROjw

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the music gil melle for death lends a hand takes the sequence from great to unforgettable
its a major bummer the later seasons didn't had his score

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lady Radia posted:

the commodore episode is really bad, and the london one

yah resorting to planting evidence is a lame resolution

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

even the very best shows have some misses tho, for being literally 50 years old columbo really is standing the test of time

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Payndz posted:

drat, did Leslie Neilsen always look 67 years old even when he was playing a dashing young corporate up-and-comer?

Leslie Nielsen was 54 when he did the Airplane! and 46 when he did the Poseidon Adventure (where he had grey hair), and the latter time he did Columbo was between these two.

Its just that he was much more better known as fifty-something "Drebin" with grey/white hair, than as a serious lead where was B-lister at best.

With dark hair he looks somehow "off", and going back ~65 years he actually had a strong resemblance to Daniel Craig while starting his career:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tunicate posted:

yah resorting to planting evidence is a lame resolution

What gets me most is how disappointed I was in Columbo for resorting to that. It's not so much that it's poo poo as a story thing--it doesn't make sense for the character that's been established so I'm disappointed in him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I watched Try and Catch Me from season 7 last night. I really enjoyed how Ruth Gordon was basically doing a Columbo impression, complete with "oh just one more thing Lieutenant..." She was definitely doing his mannerisms too.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://en.shindanmaker.com/1111127
i made a dumb thing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my group watched commodore. it was like bizzaro universe columbo. so much weird touching, so much yelling. it was too baffling for me to earn any real negative feelings, but oh boy it was bad

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I was just able to get my hands on the first season of the show after having seen a bunch of the later seasons. It's pretty amazing how fully formed the show is right from the start, like how did they know centering a detective show around Peter Falk would be such a home run?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I was just able to get my hands on the first season of the show after having seen a bunch of the later seasons. It's pretty amazing how fully formed the show is right from the start, like how did they know centering a detective show around Peter Falk would be such a home run?

Weirdly enough the first columbo episode was a single nonfalk episode in an anthology series that isn't available anywhere online.

Apparently adapted from a stage play or sowmthing like that

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Falk wasn’t the first choice for the role at all. He mentions on his inside the actor’s studio ep that the studio had pictured him as a much older detective and he had to . So I guess the character in the later reboot is more in line with his original conception than the original series.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
watched old fashioned murder yesterday with my group. columbophile dot com has had some opinions i disagree with before but i was really surprised how low they rank this one and the number of people in the comments who disliked it. my group really enjoyed it and everyone thought ruth was up there when it comes to killers lol

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Mover posted:

yeah, the commodore is straight awful. everything else is watchable to great

Tisn't.
Everyone seems to hate this episode but I love it; unique long climax scene with everyone in a room together, 2nd murder which is a mystery, and it's just overall bizarrely funny episode. Yeah Columbo is a little creepy with the girl meditating but he was tryna be quiet so as not to break her concentration. Throw in non-Irish detective Mac helping Columbo, you got a top 15 episode.

Top5:
Murder by the Book
Etude in Black
By Dawn's Early Light
Suitable for Framing
Any Old Port in a Storm

The best of the rebooted 'modern' Columbo have to be Columbo Goes to College & Columbo Goes to the Guillotine.

knox fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 11, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
columbo is creepy in general that episode. he invades everyone's space and not just her's though that was def the worst offender. I coulda got on board with the general sense of weirdness if that didn't made the whole episode uncomfortable to watch because of that and the screaming in places.

it's funny they setup mac as a smartie and then he is more useless than wilison. total nothing character.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Columbo is always screaming though, usually for no reason. Yeah that one scene at the boat yard is a little overkill for sure lol but everything is so bizarro/feels sloshed like the daughter whose drunk the entire episode. I feel like there are much worse episodes even during the main era. The food critic episode I just watched for example, is pretty terrible and super boring compared to Commodore episode for me.

One of my favorite scenes of the entire series.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Is there an ashtray in this thread? I’d like to get rid of these eggshells.

I had no idea there were Columbo fans on SA!

I just read this entire thread and it motivated me to set my DVR to record all Columbo episodes we get here. I think it airs on like four different channels.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

knox posted:

Columbo is always screaming though, usually for no reason. Yeah that one scene at the boat yard is a little overkill for sure lol but everything is so bizarro/feels sloshed like the daughter whose drunk the entire episode. I feel like there are much worse episodes even during the main era. The food critic episode I just watched for example, is pretty terrible and super boring compared to Commodore episode for me.

Food critic episode has Columbo having an extremely Italian conversation in Italian, scamming food every interview, and dodging every countless attempts to poison him at the end by just refusing to eat whatever the murderer poisoned. You’re nuts

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You have to have a high IQ to "get" Columbo

knox
Oct 28, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Food critic episode has Columbo having an extremely Italian conversation in Italian, scamming food every interview, and dodging every countless attempts to poison him at the end by just refusing to eat whatever the murderer poisoned. You’re nuts

Of course there are good aspects of every episode, even the very worst of the 90s ones- it's Peter Falk. I liked that they have the actor who plays Frank Pentangeli in the Godfather/ the Godfather vibes when Columbo summons the critic to his table first time with the detective telling guy "wait right here" and whispering in Columbo's ear. But episode is just boring to me, probably put it in bottom 15.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MrMojok posted:

Is there an ashtray in this thread? I’d like to get rid of these eggshells.

I had no idea there were Columbo fans on SA!

I just read this entire thread and it motivated me to set my DVR to record all Columbo episodes we get here. I think it airs on like four different channels.

It also streams for free on sites like Tubi.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

The ending of Commodore where Columbo awkwardly, silently gets into a row boat and drifts off as "Row Row Row Your Boat" plays is the most Patrick McGoohan thing I've seen that doesn't actually have McGoohan on screen.

What a weird fuckin guy

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It's this old man, which while goofy isn't out of the left field since it's columbo's theme and they were going into this thinking it was the finale. it's like the one bit of the episode that works but that also ends up making it feel even more out of place.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 23, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my group watched make me a perfect murder recently, really enjoyed it. i tend to enjoy the #girlboss killers the most but i didn't really connect with kay. but it makes up for it bt being a nice looking episode. the murder sequence is really good despite being nothing new, just well paced and tense. big fan of the two breakdown scenes (elevator and columbo on the TV screens)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

definitely think the commodore episode was the worst mainly just for the weird drunk daughter character being horrifyingly written.

not sure what my fave is, i think i need to rewatch

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Forgotten Lady was nuts. Def a top 10 contender for me. Lot of funny bits in it, dog eating ice cream, columbo skipping out on his test, the tree, etc. Plenty of great columbo lines too. Incredible supporting cast performances. And that ending!!
Like of course there is the memory twist but the build up to that moment was so tense and you got these moody shots of columbo all dressed up

Just saw it and wow they're starting season 5 on a strong note

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

UK Goon here, I've been watching a lot of this show since it's on freeview here.

It owns.

They have basically day-long marathons every Sunday. I've already seen both William Shatner & Johnny Cash as the killers.

Of the ones I've watched, I definitely think Rest In Peace, Mrs. Columbo is my favourite.

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde
This thread got me into Columbo and I have to say, its just fantastic. Love how, as the viewer, you know how the crime is done and the entire episode is just watching Columbo dissect the crime and suspects.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

knox posted:

I’ve mentioned this before but my favorite scene is the climax of the Bye Bye Sky High IQ society where Columbo goads the murderer into revealing the plan out of pride in his own intellect during a terrible storm in a back and forth almost choreographed like a dance to the classical music playing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm peeved because the first season 2 disc in the boxset I bought second-hand is so scratched it won't play for more than a minute without skipping and I can't even get Handbrake to read enough of it to rip a backup copy, so it's wrecked my plan to watch the entire show in order. I know the order doesn't matter (and I've already seen a bunch of later stories), but still. :argh:

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Payndz posted:

I'm peeved because the first season 2 disc in the boxset I bought second-hand is so scratched it won't play for more than a minute without skipping and I can't even get Handbrake to read enough of it to rip a backup copy, so it's wrecked my plan to watch the entire show in order. I know the order doesn't matter (and I've already seen a bunch of later stories), but still. :argh:

The entire show is on Tubi to watch for free.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

El Fideo posted:

The entire show is on Tubi to watch for free.
Not in the UK it ain't. :smith:

[Columbo voice]: Ah, gee, a - a "virtual private network"? You mean you can be in one country and the computer will think you're in another? [Touches forehead] That's something, that's, wow. Now my wife, she's an expert at the cyber-surfing thing, but me, I only just got the hang of the fax machine...

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 26, 2022

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Well you know what they say, time marches on. And really detective, I have a mountain of things to get done before I attend the gala tonight, so I'd better get marching as well, don't you know. Feel free to get in touch with me if I can help out with this case again, day or night. Uncle Roger meant so much to me, and we've really got to see his killer brought to justice.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I got over my annoyance at not being able to watch the show in order and moved on to 'The Most Crucial Game'. Yay, Culp's back! Shame the story wasn't as perfectly written as his first appearance, but it was enjoyable all the same. It feels like the writers now had a handle on the formula and were so busy planting red herrings (the other hot dog vendor! The girl who wanted an ice cream! The footprints!) to disguise the real gotcha the chiming clock that they didn't make the case against Culp airtight. A decent lawyer could surely have put plenty of doubt in a jury's mind about it. But hey, that's not what the show's about.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Payndz posted:

Not in the UK it ain't. :smith:

[Columbo voice]: Ah, gee, a - a "virtual private network"? You mean you can be in one country and the computer will think you're in another? [Touches forehead] That's something, that's, wow. Now my wife, she's an expert at the cyber-surfing thing, but me, I only just got the hang of the fax machine...

*Turns to leave, pauses, turns back*

"Oh! there's just one little ting that boddas me."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Sound and fuuuury, signifying... NOTHING!

Yes, I just watched the London/Macbeth episode. :haw:

I kid; it wasn't that bad. It wasn't good either, but as a Brit I treated it like whenever any US show has a Very Special Episode set in Britain and considered it a comedy. Looked at like that it's pretty watchable, as Honour Blackman (who I last watched as Cathy Gale in The Avengers) and [Gypsy voice] Richard Basehart! Richard Basehart! ham it up to the max as the overly theatrical thespianic couple who accidentally kill their meal ticket and then spiral their criminal activities outwards until they become cold-blooded murderers. They're great fun as a pair of bitchy, brittle, co-dependent egotists, to the point that they almost outshine Columbo in his own show. Almost.

Whenever American TV comes to Britain (either in the Austin Powers "It's remarkable how England in no way resembles Southern California" way, or the rarer type here where they actually shot on location in the UK) you can always expect to see the following: aristocrats, stuffy and pompous public-school (a very different meaning over here) officials, black cabs, red buses, Big Ben, fish and chips, cringing Cockney proles and the visiting American at first seeming browbeaten by those clarssy arccents before showing them what's what, what. And 'Dagger of the Mind' hits all the marks. It was actually a surprise to see the episode turn up so early in the show's run - I would have expected the foreign travel gimmick to come much later. (It was kind of funny spotting the switches between genuine London footage - with grey, lovely weather - and the bright, warm sunlight of LA, though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Payndz posted:

Sound and fuuuury, signifying... NOTHING!

Yes, I just watched the London/Macbeth episode. :haw:

I kid; it wasn't that bad. It wasn't good either, but as a Brit I treated it like whenever any US show has a Very Special Episode set in Britain and considered it a comedy. Looked at like that it's pretty watchable, as Honour Blackman (who I last watched as Cathy Gale in The Avengers) and [Gypsy voice] Richard Basehart! Richard Basehart! ham it up to the max as the overly theatrical thespianic couple who accidentally kill their meal ticket and then spiral their criminal activities outwards until they become cold-blooded murderers. They're great fun as a pair of bitchy, brittle, co-dependent egotists, to the point that they almost outshine Columbo in his own show. Almost.

Whenever American TV comes to Britain (either in the Austin Powers "It's remarkable how England in no way resembles Southern California" way, or the rarer type here where they actually shot on location in the UK) you can always expect to see the following: aristocrats, stuffy and pompous public-school (a very different meaning over here) officials, black cabs, red buses, Big Ben, fish and chips, cringing Cockney proles and the visiting American at first seeming browbeaten by those clarssy arccents before showing them what's what, what. And 'Dagger of the Mind' hits all the marks. It was actually a surprise to see the episode turn up so early in the show's run - I would have expected the foreign travel gimmick to come much later. (It was kind of funny spotting the switches between genuine London footage - with grey, lovely weather - and the bright, warm sunlight of LA, though.)

Yeah, I just hate how he catches them in this one.