Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Snidhog posted:

Same. I was looking forward to it, but the models just aren't doing it for me. The Orlock buggy doesn't look chunky enough and the Nomads having pipes blocking their legs is a design choice I can't get past. The bugs are cool, but they're not the vehicles I was hoping for.

I am 99% sure we have some more vehicles coming down the line. There was a rumour engine that matches up convincingly to the big land train/guilder caravan thing in the animated trailer.

I'm also planning on some buggy/dirtbike conversions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I just think vehicle based games need to be on a smaller scale.

Ork/necromunda mad max style vehicle combat at 8mm scale would be amazing.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Floppychop posted:

Try Gaslands. It uses Hot wheels. Cheap and small!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Floppychop posted:

Indolent Bastard posted:

Try Gaslands. It uses Hot wheels. Cheap and small!

beat me to it. Gaslands is amazing. And now I want to 3d print some 1/64th orc buggies to go with my Mario Kart set.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

beat me to it. Gaslands is amazing. And now I want to 3d print some 1/64th orc buggies to go with my Mario Kart set.

I have the first edition rulebook and have converted some cars up, but I'm struggling to find anyone in my area that's willing to try a non-GW game.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
No new space hulk, ah, I see...

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Floppychop posted:

I see what you mean, at GW's 28-35mm scale vehicles are either moving very 'slowly' or you'd need a table 30 foot long. I think Gorkamorka (never played it) dealt with this by moving the terrain every turn, to represent the vehicles all moving in the same rough direction forward alongside each other? Which I think is a bit clunky and obviously only works for a race in a straight line.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Genghis Cohen posted:

I see what you mean, at GW's 28-35mm scale vehicles are either moving very 'slowly' or you'd need a table 30 foot long. I think Gorkamorka (never played it) dealt with this by moving the terrain every turn, to represent the vehicles all moving in the same rough direction forward alongside each other? Which I think is a bit clunky and obviously only works for a race in a straight line.

They only did that in a scenario representing a race. Terrain would move across the table. The players stayed stationary by default I think, they had to boost to get ahead. Gorkamorka was great fun, just utterly ludicrous mad max orks falling over constantly on their tiny lil bases.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Gorkamorka vehicles also moved fast, normal move then boost, then keep boosting then veer out of control and smash into a Boulder, all the orks then scatter wildly. For an individual ork that’s about 36 inches of movement

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
For the longest time I thought that in GoMo, once you started using the the thrusters, you had to keep thrusting until you fail. I think I had this misapprehension from the inaugural GoMo battle report in White Dwarf, probably from reading a jocular "once you start you can't stop" too literally.

Anyway it meant that my group's games were inevitably even more chaotic than usual.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Floppychop posted:

I have the first edition rulebook and have converted some cars up, but I'm struggling to find anyone in my area that's willing to try a non-GW game.

Set up a game in your flgs and start "practicing" in a solo game. I have yet to play a game of Gaslands that didn't draw attention simply because I'm using converted Hot wheels.

Or find people that play(ed) X-wing, they will get the game in no time.

E: To keep another game out of this thread here is the Gaslands thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3873025&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
x-post. still doing warmaster

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Sweet

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Squibsy posted:

For the longest time I thought that in GoMo, once you started using the the thrusters, you had to keep thrusting until you fail. I think I had this misapprehension from the inaugural GoMo battle report in White Dwarf, probably from reading a jocular "once you start you can't stop" too literally.

Anyway it meant that my group's games were inevitably even more chaotic than usual.

Means it was even more perfect

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

We had a rules question pop up in Blood Bowl and I'm fairly certain on the ruling, but not 100%.

Player with frenzy and block goes into a player with block. First result is a both down, but both players have block so both just stand there. Does the frenzy player get a second block.

I thought no because frenzy specifies "if the target is still standing after being pushed back" and the target was never pushed back. But the other player thought yes because both players are still standing and that's all that matters.

And whichever way it is, if you have something to point to that says it's the reason why it would be super helpful.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Floppychop posted:

We had a rules question pop up in Blood Bowl and I'm fairly certain on the ruling, but not 100%.

Player with frenzy and block goes into a player with block. First result is a both down, but both players have block so both just stand there. Does the frenzy player get a second block.

I thought no because frenzy specifies "if the target is still standing after being pushed back" and the target was never pushed back. But the other player thought yes because both players are still standing and that's all that matters.

And whichever way it is, if you have something to point to that says it's the reason why it would be super helpful.

The follow up is a required part of the extra block from Frenzy. Fend also prevents it as you can't follow up afterwards.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Floppychop posted:

Nope, no 2nd block. The only case where a player would get to make the 2nd block without the defender moving is if things interacted with Stand Firm, which is called out specifically. Basically, because there’s no follow up step allowed with that result, all the conditions for Frenzy are not met because you can’t follow up with a result of Both Down.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Hedningen posted:

Nope, no 2nd block. The only case where a player would get to make the 2nd block without the defender moving is if things interacted with Stand Firm, which is called out specifically. Basically, because there’s no follow up step allowed with that result, all the conditions for Frenzy are not met because you can’t follow up with a result of Both Down.

Well, if you blitzed and had juggernaugt then you would treat both down as pushback and be forced to do the 2nd frenzy block.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Hedningen posted:

Thanks, that's what I figured.

Now I just need to find a way to convince this player that it's the case. He's one of those guys that thinks he knows every rule interaction perfectly and always interprets them to benefit him in any scenario he's in.

MRLOLAST posted:

Well, if you blitzed and had juggernaugt then you would treat both down as pushback and be forced to do the 2nd frenzy block.

That's because juggernaught changes the dice result. Much like Dodge changes defender stumbles to a push.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Floppychop posted:

Now I just need to find a way to convince this player that it's the case. He's one of those guys that thinks he knows every rule interaction perfectly and always interprets them to benefit him in any scenario he's in.

For perhaps the only time in GW rules writing history it's literally RAW. Very clearly stated in the section about the Frenzy skill as to how it works and its limitations (and it even hints at interactions with other skills).

Alternatively: just don't play the guy.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
What should I do with 450k petty cash? Khorne team (most of my guys are dead)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

What should I do with 450k petty cash? Khorne team (most of my guys are dead)

1) Buy as many of the cheapest player you can
2) Buy as many rerolls as you can
3) Run teams of just the cheap players and intentionally try to kill as many of them as you can
4) After every game where at least one player died, declare the match a glorious victory for Khorne?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Randalor posted:

1) Buy as many of the cheapest player you can
2) Buy as many rerolls as you can
3) Run teams of just the cheap players and intentionally try to kill as many of them as you can
4) After every game where at least one player died, declare the match a glorious victory for Khorne?

No, this is before-game petty cash. I have 60k of actual gold.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I hope Kroot get a kill team and some new models one day. Vespid too

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

No, this is before-game petty cash. I have 60k of actual gold.

Morg and Akhorne. Not sure how much the latter is but should about stack up, you can always throw in some cash too.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I hope Kroot get a kill team and some new models one day. Vespid too

I would say good luck to Vespids but with Squats coming back anything is possible.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Redvenom posted:

Morg and Akhorne. Not sure how much the latter is but should about stack up, you can always throw in some cash too.

got obliterated. got memed into taking scylla and he just failed his unchallenged fury rolls 14 turns in the row

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

got obliterated. got memed into taking scylla and he just failed his unchallenged fury rolls 14 turns in the row

Did any of your players die so you could at least claim a moral victory in the name of Khorne?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

MRLOLAST posted:

Note that this portion of Juggernaut is optional.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Randalor posted:

Did any of your players die so you could at least claim a moral victory in the name of Khorne?

No. on the last two turns, Scylla killed his Ogre and his most leveled up blitzer. That apothecary roll was insane. 15. *reroll* 16.
Then the next one was 15. He still got three TDs on me the sick gently caress but he lost a shitload of Team Value

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
Scylla claimed the moral victory then. Typical Khorne, 14 turns of rubbish followed by glorious blood letting.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Finally got to play in my group's ongoing Necromunda campaign today (it has been going for a couple sessions prior). I'm using Enforcers, which are not that exciting a gang mechanically, but it's amazing how getting a campaign game in makes the whole thing come alive in your imagination.

Some highlights:

- My capt got shot at with a heavy stubber - my opponent rolled 6 hits! His subjugator kit was not enough to save him. Just into recovery, so no big deal.
- My power maul/shield subjugator went absolutely nuts down one flank (it was a doors-and-corridors style cardboard kill team mat) taking out 3 models in succession.
- Combat shotguns are hot poo poo against massed chaos cultists.
- I got to use the 'Got your Six' skill to shoot at my opponent's Cult leader, just as he was about to charge and annihilate my other Sgt.
- My sniper rifle enforcer tried a coin-flip shot, knowing that stray shots would be a risk. A series of the worst (or best?) possible rolls later, he'd sent a subjugator carrying the objective loot straight Out of Action.

So basically these faceless mooks who I hadn't even named prior to the game are all developing their own little personalities and campaign stories. Top Necromunda.

I really don't want to have to face the Ogryn gang though. 8 Ogryns at the moment. Gang rating isn't too much higher than mine, but Toughness and Wounds are fundamentally a huge advantage in Necromunda, as is immunity to pinning which most of his models have.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
This is where the magic happens, yeah. Wacky bullshit occurs and your little plastic dudes are suddenly characters with their own emergent stories. It's especially great once you start facing off against the same opponents again. You remember some of your opponent's individual fighters, they remember yours, you start going "that's the motherfucker who killed my champion" or "that's the lucky juve who held off multiple enemies in melee for two rounds and earned a set of flak" and adding more narrative meaning to what's happening on the table.

Necromunda is really the only game that successfully occupies this particular weird liminal space between skirmish wargame and tabletop RPG.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I have some Escher models taunting me to assemble and paint them for a campaign we'll probably locally do once Ash Wastes drops. But I want to wait for the rules so I don't kit them out wrong.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Floppychop posted:

I have some Escher models taunting me to assemble and paint them for a campaign we'll probably locally do once Ash Wastes drops. But I want to wait for the rules so I don't kit them out wrong.

I'm pretty confident that the gang rules won't change - the House of books should be current for a while. I imagine that the Ash Wastes book will have additional rules for vehicles and Ash Wastes specific equipment, but the gang lists should still be relevant. If GW told NM players that they had to buy yet another set of House of books, I think there would be some serious backlash from the community.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Guildencrantz posted:

This is where the magic happens, yeah. Wacky bullshit occurs and your little plastic dudes are suddenly characters with their own emergent stories. It's especially great once you start facing off against the same opponents again. You remember some of your opponent's individual fighters, they remember yours, you start going "that's the motherfucker who killed my champion" or "that's the lucky juve who held off multiple enemies in melee for two rounds and earned a set of flak" and adding more narrative meaning to what's happening on the table.

Necromunda is really the only game that successfully occupies this particular weird liminal space between skirmish wargame and tabletop RPG.

Mordheim does it too, but given that it hasn't been supported in 20 years it has lots of old-game-design issues.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I want to get into Necromunda just because I like making terrain.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

If GW told NM players that they had to buy yet another set of House of books, I think there would be some serious backlash from the community.

When has potential backlash from the community ever stopped them?

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Lumpy posted:

I want to get into Necromunda just because I like making terrain.

Conversely, I got into terrain building because of Necromunda. It's the perfect game for it. One, it really benefits from having lots of multilevel terrain on the table, two, it has fun rules for all sorts of weird terrain features, and three, the "underhive ruins" vibe means that any imperfections and random builds from trash and scrap plastic are entirely fine and thematically appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Guildencrantz posted:

Conversely, I got into terrain building because of Necromunda. It's the perfect game for it. One, it really benefits from having lots of multilevel terrain on the table, two, it has fun rules for all sorts of weird terrain features, and three, the "underhive ruins" vibe means that any imperfections and random builds from trash and scrap plastic are entirely fine and thematically appropriate.

Yeah, I love the theme / setting. I just need to find people to play with!

EDIT: is the rulebook in the Hive War box the full rulebook, or will I eventually need to get the core rulebook?

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 12, 2022