Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Poland is the single most sympathetic to Ukraine EU member state, it’s not a country you should be thinking about here. Hungary will cause problems for Ukrainian membership, due to Hungarian minority in Ukraine, but that would happen in any case - Orban is wont to gently caress others over for personal gain. The “one thing at a time” countries here are the same countries that support austerity measures for the Eurocrisis, like the Netherlands or Germany.

Not what the OP meant, I think - Ukraine to cause problems, like Poland and Hungary have caused, with rule of law, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
You can order alcohol online in Latvia? Strange, I order from Wolt and never seen an alcohol option.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Mokotow posted:

Not what the OP meant, I think - Ukraine to cause problems, like Poland and Hungary have caused, with rule of law, etc.

Correct, and not specific to Ukraine but to enlargement in general. The fuckery around the COVID fund(s) has made it very clear that the EU is dangerously easy to sabotage and that problem grows more acute the more members there are.

There is urgent need to reform the EU decision process so it can't be paralysed in times of crisis. And make no mistake, Orban going Full Putin is a serious crisis for an organisation that requires unanimity for important decisions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Monglo posted:

You can order alcohol online in Latvia? Strange, I order from Wolt and never seen an alcohol option.

Wolt offered alcohol for the entirety of 2020. In the end of that year they locked down sales to shop’s own websites and apps, so you can continue getting it only via direct orders, say via Lulū.

https://www.vid.gov.lv/lv/lidz-28decembrim-japarregistre-licences-alkoholisko-dzerienu-tirdzniecibai-interneta

Mokotow posted:

My bad then, I misread. It’s definitely a concern EU must address before enlarging - how to deal with intentionally uncooperative member states.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Antigravitas posted:

Correct, and not specific to Ukraine but to enlargement in general. The fuckery around the COVID fund(s) has made it very clear that the EU is dangerously easy to sabotage and that problem grows more acute the more members there are.

There is urgent need to reform the EU decision process so it can't be paralysed in times of crisis. And make no mistake, Orban going Full Putin is a serious crisis for an organisation that requires unanimity for important decisions.

We've learned nothing from Liberum Veto and having Russia pay off one turd to obstruct

Xarn posted:

How the gently caress is Latvia winning by a whole litre?

Used to be that Poland and Lithuania got a lot of booze from Belarus that was dirt cheap and sometimes killing people. My guess would be that now the contraband over the border is cut off and people haven't started producing it in the same quantities

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Somaen posted:

Used to be that Poland and Lithuania got a lot of booze from Belarus that was dirt cheap and sometimes killing people. My guess would be that now the contraband over the border is cut off and people haven't started producing it in the same quantities

Or those statistics are for store bought alcohol, and don't include proud tradition of drinking homemade "bimber". Still by my observation people drink way less in Poland, and when they do it's usually better quality stuff. There's a noticeable decrease in sales of cheap beer for example. And based on a quick google search looks like most of recent alcohol poisonings in Poland were from trying to drink denaturated alcohol.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I got curious and read up on our system. Its called MoLaRi (Monitoring és Lakossági Riasztó) unrelated to Londo.
System has 4 different sounds "Air raid alert" "Disaster alert" "Alert over" and "Test".
Thing is the only one I ever knew is the test sound, I did know there could be air raid and chemical spill warnings but had no idea they are different. Makes sense that one of them warns you to go to the basement, the other tells you to stay inside. Now I even know which is which.

I do have to say that every time I hear the test the poo poo freezes inside me, its so fuckin eerie. It also doesn't help that we don't have the system in ALL districts, so I never hear it at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWo95EalWMQ

Civil defense siren chat is my jam and I can't help myself. All of them are extremely eerie, and thanks for posting yours. The Swedish one is a monotone and just uses tone length and grouping for different signals. The most common one (and the one that gets tested) is the "general alert" signal which consists of 7 seconds tone/14 seconds silence, repeated six times. It has some really freaky dynamics to it when you hear it in a big city, because all the sirens are of course in sync with each other. That means you first hear the ones closest to you go off, but then the tone is gradually filled in and increases in volume as you start hearing sirens all over the city joining the choir. Then the closest siren turns off, and you hear dogs barking and people talking, but the tone doesn't go silent immediately - you hear a powerful echo ringing in the distance still, and slowly, sloooowly it fades away over maybe ten seconds. There's a few seconds of dense silence, and then it returns. I doubt it was actually intentional, but it seems almost engineered to sound spooky.

Air raid siren nerd recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyCAXEasaIY&t=140s

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 11, 2022

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

TheFluff posted:

Civil defense siren chat is my jam and I can't help myself. All of them are extremely eerie, and thanks for posting yours. The Swedish one is a monotone and just uses tone length and grouping for different signals. The most common one (and the one that gets tested) is the "general alert" signal which consists of 7 seconds tone/14 seconds silence, repeated six times. It has some really freaky dynamics to it when you hear it in a big city, because all the sirens are of course in sync with each other. That means you first hear the ones closest to you go off, but then the tone is gradually filled in and increases in volume as you start hearing sirens all over the city joining the choir. Then the closest siren turns off, and you hear dogs barking and people talking, but the tone doesn't go silent immediately - you hear a powerful echo ringing in the distance still, and slowly, sloooowly it fades away over maybe ten seconds. There's a few seconds of dense silence, and then it returns. I doubt it was actually intentional, but it seems almost engineered to sound spooky.

Air raid siren nerd recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyCAXEasaIY&t=140s

Just for you then, this page has sound samples and graphs of the mentioned alerts:
https://www.katasztrofavedelem.hu/49/molari-rendszer auto translate should help you find the details.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Just for you then, this page has sound samples and graphs of the mentioned alerts:
https://www.katasztrofavedelem.hu/49/molari-rendszer auto translate should help you find the details.

Found another funny Russian Twitter account, and thought about your wife enjoying the Meduza parody.

https://twitter.com/a4toslu4ilos

Some choice bits

https://twitter.com/a4toslu4ilos/status/1513088507773865988

https://twitter.com/a4toslu4ilos/status/1512833254197452808

https://twitter.com/a4toslu4ilos/status/1513424544173903876

Edit: I’m dead

https://twitter.com/taxfreelt/status/1513202119167430661

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 11, 2022

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Found another funny Russian Twitter account, and thought about your wife enjoying the Meduza parody.

Passed it on! Thank you. Lukashenka never gets old either.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’m not sure how common that cartoon was abroad [the ex-USSR], but it was a major part of my childhood, so that video just hits different. :laffo:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m not sure how common that cartoon was abroad [the ex-USSR], but it was a major part of my childhood, so that video just hits different. :laffo:

:same: holy poo poo. Also helps that I haven't seen that speech before so it took me a while to realize he didn't actually record this to explain the war to children.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

:same: holy poo poo. Also helps that I haven't seen that speech before so it took me a while to realize he didn't actually record this to explain the war to children.

Oh drat, are you saying that you’ve missed all the parodies of the speech?!

https://twitter.com/andriskalnozols/status/1506941440655507460

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Turkish EU membership, before practical concerns, faces 2 political obstacles - Erdogan is a regressive autocrat, and it’s a Muslim country.

There's a third one too called Greece.

Unless Turkey fucks off from Cyprus (and even then maybe not at all), Greece will not allow Turkey to join the EU.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TearsOfPirates posted:

There's a third one too called Greece.

Unless Turkey fucks off from Cyprus (and even then maybe not at all), Greece will not allow Turkey to join the EU.

Greek popular opinion on it is negative, but EU and US have pressured past governments to support the ascension under the premise of easier resolution of bilateral issues once they have something other than contempt in common, and I don’t have reasons to believe they won’t do it again. If a referendum gets forced, however, Turkey would get blocked for sure.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Oh drat, are you saying that you’ve missed all the parodies of the speech?!

https://twitter.com/andriskalnozols/status/1506941440655507460

No I have not, thanks! There are some really good ones there, but I think I just didn't have time for memes in the early days.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Xarn posted:

How the gently caress is Latvia winning by a whole litre?

Probably because of all the Finns, Swedes and Estonians coming to border stores to buy cheap booze. Estonia hiked their alcohol taxes a while ago, so the booze stores moved south.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
My experience has been that in the most booze soaked countries it's less about speed of drinking and more about how early they start drinking. Especially on work days. min/maxing your countries booze consumption really requires having a drink or two with lunch. There's also some cultural tipping point where alcohol is suddenly completely inescapably everywhere and there is zero barrier to drinking.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

My experience has been that in the most booze soaked countries it's less about speed of drinking and more about how early they start drinking. Especially on work days. min/maxing your countries booze consumption really requires having a drink or two with lunch. There's also some cultural tipping point where alcohol is suddenly completely inescapably everywhere and there is zero barrier to drinking.

Lunch-time drinks are uncommon here. People just drink as a hobby, so they’ll come home from work at 6pm on Tuesday and crack a cold one as the first thing.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Or beer being often cheaper than common non-alcoholic drinks (like in Czechia).

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Lunch-time drinks are uncommon here. People just drink as a hobby, so they’ll come home from work at 6pm on Tuesday and crack a cold one as the first thing.

That's a lot of countries though, I think what really pushes the average up are the lifestyle alcoholics that are going from light drinks to vodka on Monday afternoon and stop only when money ends. This includes middle aged people and everyone from small places with nothing to do for kids, so after school finishes they start drinking from the age of 13-14

Iceache
Jul 9, 2009

Monglo posted:

There are Latvijas Balzams stores on Bolt Food/Bolt market, that's a recent development for all your lazy morning alcoholism needs.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Can you still buy alcohol in plastic containers with yogurt-like lids? I remember seeing those in Lithuania ~10 years ago and thinking how much of a product targetted to alcoholics having morning shakes those were.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

They were a thing here when I was in highschool for sure, but I haven’t seen them in a while. It was basically a sealed cup of vodka for $2, to those wondering.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

found the picture. It was one of the things that surprised me going from Poland. Also how strict were the "no alcohol sales after x hour".

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

alex314 posted:

Also how strict were the "no alcohol sales after x hour".

Ngl, it cannot be stressed enough just how much safer streets / parks became, especially after dark after the law was introduced in the early 2000s.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Well, there's a reason France is #5 (and not too far short of the top) on that list despite as far as I'm aware not having that much of a reputation for heavy weekend or binge drinking. On all my visits there I always had the impression that a decent chunk of the population were just constantly ever so slightly drunk.

Dwesa posted:

Or beer being often cheaper than common non-alcoholic drinks (like in Czechia).

I'm pretty sure that's Denmark as well. Beer is laughably cheap there for a Scandinavian country. They're a ways down on the list.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 13, 2022

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

alex314 posted:

found the picture. It was one of the things that surprised me going from Poland. Also how strict were the "no alcohol sales after x hour".

Me and my friends in Estonia always called these "pudding vodka". Never drank one though.

Still for sale at Rimi!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1514164554602889219

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009
My stepfather's daughter and her family are coming from Russia to stay with us for the foreseeable future.

They originally wanted to drive from here (Estonia) to Spain, but heard that drivers with russian plate numbers are getting harassed in Poland. Can any polish goons chime in, is there any truth to that or is it mostly RU state propaganda?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I know there were some reports of blockades on the border with Belarus and Kaliningrad against trucks, but I don't believe I heard anything about individual passenger cars. Probably wouldn't rule it out though, unfortunately.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Weyd posted:

My stepfather's daughter and her family are coming from Russia to stay with us for the foreseeable future.

They originally wanted to drive from here (Estonia) to Spain, but heard that drivers with russian plate numbers are getting harassed in Poland. Can any polish goons chime in, is there any truth to that or is it mostly RU state propaganda?

I’m seeing some russian cars in Warsaw and sticking ukrainian flags in the front and back windshield seems to do the trick. I havent heard anyone being actaully assaulted but yeah, if they don’t declare their colors, they might have problems. The A2 highway through Poland is also frequented by many ukrainian cars and busses and that might be its own dynamic, ei. At night when you cant see the ukrainian flag.

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009
Good to hear, thank you. I was willing to believe that things like that are happening, but wasn't sure how common it would be.

Still, it's probably safer for them to stay with my parents in the russian-speaker majority town, for now.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Also consider taking a car ferry to Germany or Denmark and bypass Poland

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah I wouldn’t suggest them driving through Latvia and Lithuania right now, what is there to say about the 10-14 hour drive through Poland. If they want to go to Spain, they can take an airplane.

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009
They were planning to stay in Spain, they're coming with their car and belongings, so going by Plane would be tricky. Going by ferry could be an option though, I'll be sure to let them know.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Ferry to Finland, another to Sweden, then driving or further ferries from there. Dunno how practical but possible and the car comes along.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
I think there is a line from Helsinki to Lubeck, also.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
There is a ferry from Liepāja to Travemunde too, fwiw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat

Edit is not quote.