Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

How? How is a mass of basically solid tar moving at all, let alone upstream?
crab roads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A little brain teaser for you all. During the Blitz, an asphalt factory on the Isle of Dogs burned out of control for several hours as land-based firefighters were occupied fighting house fires, and the fire brigade's launches were unable to reach it at full power due to an exceptionally low tide. Over a hundred tons of asphalt (the sticky stuff they mix with aggregate to make tarmac) melted and fell onto the foreshore:

It's still there now because of course it's heavy and specifically used for waterproofing. Except it's *not* actually there:

The fire was just south of the jetty at the top of the screen, and "the smoothest bit of road in London" - thank you whoever said that on Discord - starts almost 250 metres south of that, and continues for almost a kilometre:

and in fact has moved at least a hundred metres just since I first learned about it in the 90s, when it was starting to appear at Island Gardens. The thing is that it's moving *upriver* - there's no trace of it at all further downriver.

How? How is a mass of basically solid tar moving at all, let alone upstream?

The answer is one of those that's blatantly obvious once you know it, but a complete brainfuck if you don't. Answers on a postcard please.

Some suggestions:

1) It didn't move. The Isle of Dogs moved downstream
2) Whatever was under the tar slipped downstream under the weight of the tar and Newton's 3rd law meant the tar went upstream.
3) Ancient Astronaut theorists say it was a visitor from outer space with a paddle who got on it and paddled it upstream.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Over a hundred tons of asphalt (the sticky stuff they mix with aggregate to make tarmac) melted and fell onto the foreshore

Woah woah woah, I thought Tarmac was just a brand name for asphalt (like Hoover or Perspex), and that it was aggregate + bitumen. Is that not the case?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

a pipe smoking dog posted:

This is going to be a breach of contract so it's a bit trickier than issuing for a debt, I would suggest taking some legal advice before you go ahead with it.

The actual process of issuing small claims proceedings is very straightforward however if that is what you're asking.

I've been taking advice from the British Horse Society - they give legal advice to members.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
There's always the Solidarity Fund if you need a horse replaced at short notice

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The answer is one of those that's blatantly obvious once you know it, but a complete brainfuck if you don't. Answers on a postcard please.

Is it gravity tho.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Natural forces of repulsion from Ilford.

So you're saying it'll eventually reach equilibrium with the repulsion from Slough, causing it to climb up and destroy Chelsea? I'm fine with this.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Angrymog posted:

I've been taking advice from the British Horse Society - they give legal advice to members.

That's good, to be honest the easiest thing to do is go through the moj website guide, it has a step by step guide which straightforward. You should be able to issue online through the county court business centre.

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

Before you issue just make sure you've given notice to the other side that you intend to issue proceedings if they fail to make payment and that you will look to recover your costs and interest if you are obliged to issue proceedings. This will also give them the opportunity to confirm their address for service if they've got solicitors. Hopefully they don't and they'll fail to defend the claim once you issue, and you can just enter a default judgement against them so you can instruct bailiffs

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

There's that alt-history Space Race show called For All Mankind on Apple TV, which is generally very enjoyable, but WvB pops up as a recurring character and I guess the audience is meant to empathise with him because he feels bad about being a mass-murderer. It's a pretty :ohno: beat in an otherwise mostly decent show

I liked Wubbo because he was called Wubbo & then I found out there was a real Dutch astronaut called Wubbo & it rules.

Anyway, I don't know how much empathy we were really meant to feel towards Von Braun. Some, definitely but that presentation/interrogation in Congress didn't exactly hold back on the lovely loving things he did in the name of science during the war. I didn't think it was a total whitewash.

Dumb but fun show, I should really catch that finally episode of season 2 I've got to watch

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Wasn't The New Statesman supposed to be a leftist paper. It seems to be writing a ton of reactionary non-progressive stuff nowadays.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Ravel posted:

Wasn't The New Statesman supposed to be a leftist paper. It seems to be writing a ton of reactionary non-progressive stuff nowadays.

Its left of centre, just the centre in the UK is more right than you realise.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Ravel posted:

it's been one of the leading "very serious" terf papers for a very long time, although they couched their rhetoric a bit more as "just asking questions". check out their interviews with judith butler where she tears them a new one, it's always delightful

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ravel posted:

It's Blairite. Blairites were always pretty reactionary.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Gove knew when the fines would come and has been poisoning Rishi in the press in preparation. Finally, he will have his day.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

Woah woah woah, I thought Tarmac was just a brand name for asphalt (like Hoover or Perspex), and that it was aggregate + bitumen. Is that not the case?

Asphalt, bitumen, pitch, tar and coal tar are all used more-or-less interchangeably as a term for the very heaviest fractions from either crude oil or coal gasification, but at one time they were used to differentiate the use of them - asphalt was used in roofing, bitumen as chemical feedstock and staining, and pitch and tar for waterproofing, even though they're all describing the exact same substance (more or less), because they all came into the language at different times and originally describing slightly different things (asphalt, tar and bitumen as petroleum products, pitch and coal tar from charcoal making and coal gasification), although apart from for chemical feedstock they're all interchangeable in use. You can use coal tar to fix roof tiles and pitch to make roads.

Confusing this further is that the road surface is known in this country as tarmacadam (as it was originally made by just pouring tar onto roads made by the Macadam method, which is basically an improved gravel road) which got shortened to tarmac and then just back to tar. The Americans, who'd never heard of Macadam, gave it the rather better name of asphalt concrete (because it's concrete made with asphalt as a binder). Tarmac was never a brand name *for that road surface*, but was (and is) the name of a company that invented a variation of the system using coal tar, furnace clinker and mine tailings that was much, much cheaper and harder-wearing than traditional tarmacadam, which was made with limestone and a petrochemical binder).

So yes, tarmac *is* aggregate and binder but the nature of both the aggregate and the binder - which might be called asphalt or bitumen or any of a bunch of other names) vary massively depending on local conditions, but it's not a brand name.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Some suggestions:

1) It didn't move. The Isle of Dogs moved downstream
2) Whatever was under the tar slipped downstream under the weight of the tar and Newton's 3rd law meant the tar went upstream.
3) Ancient Astronaut theorists say it was a visitor from outer space with a paddle who got on it and paddled it upstream.

1) I would notice if I were getting closer to Essex. Also I assume that someone at London City would say something if Canary Wharf was getting even closer to it.
2) No, but would it surprise you to know something like that *is* responsible for certain kinds of coastal erosion?
3) Any UFO parked round there would have been stripped for parts before he'd even got the paddle out of the boot.

Szmitten posted:

Is it gravity tho.

The "up" and "down" in "upstream/upriver" and "downstream/downriver" tend to be literal, what with water preferring to flow downhill.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

1) I would notice if I were getting closer to Essex. Also I assume that someone at London City would say something if Canary Wharf was getting even closer to it.
2) No, but would it surprise you to know something like that *is* responsible for certain kinds of coastal erosion?
3) Any UFO parked round there would have been stripped for parts before he'd even got the paddle out of the boot.

The "up" and "down" in "upstream/upriver" and "downstream/downriver" tend to be literal, what with water preferring to flow downhill.

So come on, what's the answer? Don't keep us in suspenders!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

I liked Wubbo because he was called Wubbo & then I found out there was a real Dutch astronaut called Wubbo & it rules.

Anyway, I don't know how much empathy we were really meant to feel towards Von Braun. Some, definitely but that presentation/interrogation in Congress didn't exactly hold back on the lovely loving things he did in the name of science during the war. I didn't think it was a total whitewash.

Dumb but fun show, I should really catch that finally episode of season 2 I've got to watch

All true.

I think I was more responding to the scenes between whatshername and her Uncle Werner. But yeah it's got some nuance.

Also the Russians are often portrayed fairly moustache-twirling, which I would have waved off as a bit it Boomerism but then you look at the news and welp

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'll give you all a little longer to think about it, but give you one more hint:

Despite my snarky reply earlier, "downstream" only actually applies about half the time to the Thames, because it is *extremely* tidal - at that point rising over 6 metres between high and low tide.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'll give you all a little longer to think about it, but give you one more hint:

Despite my snarky reply earlier, "downstream" only actually applies about half the time to the Thames, because it is *extremely* tidal - at that point rising over 6 metres between high and low tide.

So it's a bit like raising the Mary Rose or the Suez tanker :D Or some other item that was floated off during high tide.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 12, 2022

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I was going to say that the pull of the tide outweighs the flow of the river, hence it moving ‘up’

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm backing borus for having the guts to rebel against the fascist laws imposed on us by the metropolitan elites

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

All true.

I think I was more responding to the scenes between whatshername and her Uncle Werner. But yeah it's got some nuance.

Also the Russians are often portrayed fairly moustache-twirling, which I would have waved off as a bit it Boomerism but then you look at the news and welp

We quit it after four or five episodes because it's pretty light weight and liberal and dumb and had too much 'murcan lip-quivering, but we did find it amusing that its apparent thesis, at least in what we watched, was "the world would be much better, and scientific and social progress much swifter, if only the Soviets beat the Americans to the moon", which, uh, I'm pretty sure was not what the show was going for lol

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So putting aside the fine (which will be a paltry amount. Then again who knows if Bojo actually has £300 of his own money to pay a fine.)
Is there not an issue about Boris having misled Parliament? Since he has had a fine issued, if he pays he is accepting criminal liability.
If he denies that he has to fight it, which just extends the whole fiasco.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Does it trap an air bubble under it and float upriver when the tide comes in?

They used what I assume is liquid asphalt/bitumen to repair the cobbles at whitby, weird streaks of black solidified goop looking like lava flows all in between the cobbles, I assume it's airtight.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 12, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My guess is that the tidal influx, being saltwater, is dense enough to make the asphalt more buoyant than the river, being 'fresh' water (don't drink), is so it weighs less on the upstream than the downstream, moving it slowly upstream *puts on sunglasses and dad jumper* on aggregate.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

If you pay within 28 days there’s no criminal offence prosecution so surely that’s an incentive.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
watching all the smooth-brained centrists insist that surely this will be the thing that brings Boris down is darkly hilarious

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

We quit it after four or five episodes because it's pretty light weight and liberal and dumb and had too much 'murcan lip-quivering, but we did find it amusing that its apparent thesis, at least in what we watched, was "the world would be much better, and scientific and social progress much swifter, if only the Soviets beat the Americans to the moon", which, uh, I'm pretty sure was not what the show was going for lol

Well, the very clear thesis of the show is that "if the world had gone all-in on investing in space travel after the space race this would have led to much better outcomes technologically, socially, geopolitically and economically" to the point that it is likely heading towards a Star Trek-esque scenario by the 2020s. It's just that the (not-unreasonable) reason the US and USSR continue going big on space is that Korolev doesn't die, the Soviets get to the Moon first and the US insists on continuing the space race until a point where they might actually win.

As for Von Braun, the show hardly goes easy on him. In literally the second episode he is exposed as a slave-labour-exploiting war criminal, everyone hates him, and he just appears a few times after that for his (fictional) protégé to feel conflicted but ultimately not forgive him.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

My guess is that the tidal influx, being saltwater, is dense enough to make the asphalt more buoyant than the river, being 'fresh' water (don't drink), is so it weighs less on the upstream than the downstream, moving it slowly upstream *puts on sunglasses and dad jumper* on aggregate.

That sounds plausible. I had forgotten the salt water coming back up. I did check out the density of asphalt but it's quite a bit more dense than even salt water, though as it isn't pure asphalt, whatever else is mixed in with that may make it less dense.

Now come on Twisto, the Inquiring Minds ITT want to know the real answer. Professor Google has been of no assistance here.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
All this asphalt has been sitting in the Thames doing nothing for decades and yet the southern section of the M25 is still concrete

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's why I'm thinking air bell, presumably the riverbank would cause it to set in a slightly concave shape, which would then preferentially level out as the water table keeps hitting it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I did check out the density of asphalt but it's quite a bit more dense than even salt water, though as it isn't pure asphalt, whatever else is mixed in with that may make it less dense.
That's my thinking behind why it's so slow. If it were floating in saltwater and sinking in fresh it'd move an appreciable distance each cycle, but being ever so slightly more buoyant in salt than fresh would cause a slow walking movement, a bit like those boulders that change in density between the cold desert night and the hot desert sun and move a tiny bit each day, generating odd conspiracies.

Ravel posted:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Red Oktober posted:

If you pay within 28 days there’s no criminal offence prosecution so surely that’s an incentive.

Yes you won't have a criminal prosecution recorded against you. But you will be accepting the State's version of events.
So Borris will have been admiting that there was a party and he attended.

Like he could try an Andy Windsor route and thread the needle of "I was totally innocent. I just paid the money because it was less hassle. But I'm still innocent." But let's see how that works out.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1513868493036400646

Heavens.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWmxeaz6ftE

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That sounds plausible. I had forgotten the salt water coming back up. I did check out the density of asphalt but it's quite a bit more dense than even salt water, though as it isn't pure asphalt, whatever else is mixed in with that may make it less dense.

Now come on Twisto, the Inquiring Minds ITT want to know the real answer. Professor Google has been of no assistance here.

It's much simpler than that. Asphalt/bitumen/tar/whatever has one defining property, the one reason why it's used in so many applications - it's low melting point. Anyone who's parked a motorbike on a cheap tarmac drive will have encountered this - after only a few hours in the sunshine it can be soft enough to flow fairly quickly when a force (e.g. a motorbike side stand) is applied to it, leaving your bike to slowly slump onto its side (or even worse, when you come back to it when it's cooled down, leaving it entombed until the next sunny day).

So when the tide is going out, the tar is underwater and kept cool enough that the water flow can't move it. Once the tide has gone out, on a sunny day the tar heats up and softens, and the inrush of the tide after a few hours of heating is able to move it, albeit only a tiny amount, before it cools down enough to solidify again. Therefore it's basically a ratchet, and the tar can only move upstream.

There *is* a considerable chunk of it still left at the scene of the fire and slightly upstream but below the low tide mark and invisible apart from at the very lowest tides.

I do have to say I was impressed by the guesses about the salinity of the water which is some top-class thinking but not actually that much of an effect because it's not fresh sea water coming back up, it's the brackish stuff already washed down, being pushed back up by the North Sea. The actual salinity of the Thames even at high tide is under 1% inside London - safe enough to drink (if it weren't for all the other stuff floating in it, obviously).

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 12, 2022

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Ah... well, nevertheless...

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Fairly sure describing any part of the Thames as "safe enough to drink" counts as attempted murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Isomermaid posted:

It's because they believe that working class people are too stupid to understand that kind of nuance and can only be talked down and pandered to. It's insulting as hell and a big giveaway about where their sensibilities rest.

Just to go back to this (good) point, because it reminded me of something:

quote:

You see, the great mass of workers only wants bread and circuses. Ideas are not accessible to them and we cannot hope to win them over. We attach ourselves to the fringe, the race of lords, which did not grow through a miserable doctrine and knows by the virtue of its own character that it is called to rule.

K. Starmer or A. Hitler?

:hitler:

Is 'the fringe' Boris?