Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Megabound posted:

Oh boy, the announcement up the top of this weeks episode is incredibly exciting to me

What is it? I tend to skip the 2003-era eps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

They'll be attending and covering the Sandy Hook trial this month, most likely in a daily wrap up style.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Megabound posted:

They'll be attending and covering the Sandy Hook trial this month, most likely in a daily wrap up style.

I thought you meant the announcement of YEAR OF THE MUSTARD but that's good too

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Go RV! posted:

I thought you meant the announcement of YEAR OF THE MUSTARD but that's good too

Not only that,but WITH PHOTOS

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They should do an all callers episode, much like Alex. It's interesting hearing these fuckin weirdos from 2003.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Grand Fromage posted:

They should do an all callers episode, much like Alex. It's interesting hearing these fuckin weirdos from 2003.

For some reason, hearing contemporary discussions about news and politics from my early 20s is very jarring. A lot of weird associated memories pop up.

But, yeah, those 2003 weirdos got spun back in the 90s and popularization of conspiracy by the X-Files. There was much more of a mythology of clandestine groups constantly moving against each or cooperating. Now, there is only the undifferentiated mass that is the Globalists.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Don't forget the chi-com atheists though :q:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Listening to the End Game series and I can't stop laughing when Dan does the violin sound

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Marsupial Ape posted:

For some reason, hearing contemporary discussions about news and politics from my early 20s is very jarring. A lot of weird associated memories pop up.

But, yeah, those 2003 weirdos got spun back in the 90s and popularization of conspiracy by the X-Files. There was much more of a mythology of clandestine groups constantly moving against each or cooperating. Now, there is only the undifferentiated mass that is the Globalists.

I mean, xfiles was just a schlocky 90s show about Washington DC filmed in Vancouver. The lone gunmen were not portrayed as people you wanted to be. Info wars is and was a little different, more of the post 9/11 era even in 2002.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Megabound posted:

This is great, esp since the recent depositions have been private... For some reason. Thought Jones would keep the cameras there for his HBO content.

There are like three SH cases open right? Which one is this? Haven't had a chance to listen yet.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

If anyone's looking for a nadir of Jordan's contribution to the show take a listen to episode 125. I put that on since I'm loving the Camelot episodes and Joedan took it as his mission to be as interuptive and unfunny as possible, to the point that he actively sabotaged Dan's revelation that one of Camelot's guests contributed to the Heavens Gate suicides and ensuing righteous anger that the episode ended with Dan sighing and Jordan yelling about how bad Jesus was.

What is wrong with this dude? That was embarrassing.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 9, 2022

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Jordan! Neighbors!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Be that as it may.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Marsupial Ape posted:

Be that as it may.

I love Dan and I love this tic.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I listened to way too much way too fast and noticed verbal tics that now annoy me. Poor decisions on my part.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
These Jordan takes are funny to me since I’ve only listened almost entirely to later episodes outside of Project Camelot.

I often come away feeling like Jordan makes funny jokes, or sets up funny premises that Dan could run with, but instead he lets them fall dead, without even laughing. Jordan and Billy Wayne Davis actually talk about this on BWDs podcast.

All that said, Dan and Jordan are clearly friends that respect each other, and they’ve both notably improved over the course of the podcast.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

These Jordan takes are funny to me since I’ve only listened almost entirely to later episodes outside of Project Camelot.

I often come away feeling like Jordan makes funny jokes, or sets up funny premises that Dan could run with, but instead he lets them fall dead, without even laughing. Jordan and Billy Wayne Davis actually talk about this on BWDs podcast.

All that said, Dan and Jordan are clearly friends that respect each other, and they’ve both notably improved over the course of the podcast.

I try not to judge them as people too much because they are putting on a show and are being their performative selves. Elevated versions of themselves.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I lost it listening to episode 666 when Jones said that GI Joe was real life and that he wasn't in Cobra

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

I try not to judge them as people too much because they are putting on a show and are being their performative selves. Elevated versions of themselves.

Jordan on the Billy Wayne Davis was a lot more chill and I think that's more of him not in performing mode.

The informed guy/dumb guy dynamic in podcasts is pretty common and certainly has expectations. Like when The Dollop guests somewhere else and Dave reacts a lot more strongly to things, or reverse Dollops. He's playing the role. I don't think Jordan would be screaming so much if you were just hanging out at a bar.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I, for one, like Jordan and find him funny. I'll take him over most of regular BtB guests.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I don't have a problem with Jordan as a concept, just with the degree of Jordan. I think the show would be much worse without Jordan, so it just needs to dial the Jordan down by a bit.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It's a double act and it'd be boring as hell if it was just Dan

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I'm pro-Jordan but I'm also specifically pro-Jordan after a couple hundred eps where he dialed it back from 11 to 7.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Jordan and Dan are a great duo, he just needed a bit to dial into a good rhythm where he wasn't stepping on Dan a bunch

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Episode #26 is a good drunk Alex episode especially because Dan goes into shoot wrestling promo mode against Alex because it was Wrestlemania weekend and that's On top of Jones just getting blasted and saying horrible poo poo for 2 hours.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea I’m sure Jordan isn’t a boiling cauldron of rage all the time. (Jk)

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Jordan’s stock falling with me just today by completely not knowing what a “shoot promo” is. Also Dan is wrong on the release year of A Bug’s Life, 1998 wasn’t within the last 20 years.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

0konner posted:

1998 wasn’t within the last 20 years.
Excuse you but the 90s were ten years ago, forever

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

0konner posted:

Jordan’s stock falling with me just today by completely not knowing what a “shoot promo” is. Also Dan is wrong on the release year of A Bug’s Life, 1998 wasn’t within the last 20 years.

the first is indeed unforgivable but no to us millennials the 90's will always be at most fifteen years ago, please don't make us face the reality of linear time or my bones will become dust

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
After listening to this new one I'm going to double down onb my prediction that he'll do the church setup after all this litigation. He'll have an avenue for donations and can channel his remaining devotees to an obvious tax shelter that they'll be happy to support.

He sounds like he's practicing. A lot of ministers of established religions have canonical documents and sermons to draw from/steal/co-opt, but Alex will be making a lot of it from scratch. He currently meanders and he'll have to double down on a through-line and a promise of salvation to make it work but that's the only path is see for him.

I wonder if certain state laws will keep him from establishing something like that if you've been guilty of word crimes, but I doubt it.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Is there any precedent for someone losing access to portions of their speech as a result of a civil trial? It seems really unlikely given my, admittedly layman's, understanding of 1st amendment rights.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Dan and Jordan are on Behind the Bastards on a semi recent episode:

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-how-the-rich-ate-93526364/

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
This might be beyond the scope of the KF thread and more suited for the Online Creators one, but it sort of involves half of KF and I wouldn't be surprised if it came up on the show at some point, even if only briefly.

So the second part of the Lions Led By Donkeys series that Jordan guested on dropped yesterday, and unfortunately it seems like there's a bit of drama to go along with it: the author of the book that Joe used as his only source isn't happy that podcasts have been using his work as a single or uncredited source, and called out the LLBD podcast during a Twitter thread about it:

https://twitter.com/brendankoerner/status/1513504339834322951

Jordan ended up replying to him, even though he was only a guest and had no responsibility in gathering research material:

https://twitter.com/gotobedjordan/status/1513512669244174338

And friend of the show Robert Evans chimed in with his thoughts on the matter:

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1513587433157263361

This isn't a new problem for podcasts; bigger ones like The Dollop and (I think) Last Podcast on the Left were criticized early on for not crediting sources, and have since adjusted, but I don't know if they communicate with authors in the cases of lesser known subjects where there might only be one or two sources. I don't even necessarily think that they're owed that in every case, but overall I take Robert's view on the subject

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I saw Koerner’s thread yesterday but didn’t realize it was this podcast he was talking about.

Anyway, he’s had this happen to him like three times now.

I don’t think the LLBD was quite so egregious, but in a previous incident he says another podcaster read straight from his book for the bulk of the podcast without ever mentioning his name or the title of his book. That’s why he’s pissed.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I know I've heard the hosts of other podcasts say that there are some subjects they don't cover because there's basically only a single book on the topic and they're not comfortable summarizing a single source in a podcast when someone could just buy the book. It probably depends in part on whether the podcast is supposed to be informative ("I am listening to this podcast to learn about a topic") or entertaining ("I am listening to this podcast to listen to a man scream").

But I know when BtB covers a topic that's mostly sourced from a single book I'll usually end up borrowing the book from the library because I want to know more. I don't know how many other listeners end up doing the same, or if there's a significant number of listeners out there who would have read the book if they hadn't listened to a podcast about it. I feel like not many? Not that this in any way invalidates the concern that other people are profiting off his labor.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's been awhile since I've listened to Last Podcast on the Left, but they seemed to thread the needle that way. If it was primarily one source they'd cite the book heavily and basically do an elevator pitch for it at the beginning and the end of the episode, specifically pushing it as "hey, there's a bunch of cool side stories like X, Y and Z that we didn't cover in the podcast cause if you want to know every little detail buy the book." I think the LPotL episodes on Tupac and Biggie got them a thank you email from some writer who looked them up after wondering why the hell they were suddenly selling hundreds of copies of a niche book.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I can sympathize with history podcasts wanting to do interesting unknown stories, it's pretty common for there to only be one source (at least in English) once you get outside the most popular subjects.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Amanda Moore seems okay but I wish she had slightly better podcast chops. I can forgive the poor quality of her audio and I'm sure that's compounding my issues but I'm having a hard time following her responses because she speaks very quickly and a little scattered and with a fair amount of "filler words."

I'm early in the interview though. Maybe I'll click into her wavelength or she'll settle in.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

She gets better as she goes, more comfortable. I'm finding it p interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Tree Dude posted:

Amanda Moore seems okay but I wish she had slightly better podcast chops. I can forgive the poor quality of her audio and I'm sure that's compounding my issues but I'm having a hard time following her responses because she speaks very quickly and a little scattered and with a fair amount of "filler words."

I'm early in the interview though. Maybe I'll click into her wavelength or she'll settle in.

I found this too. I was also having trouble parsing her California (?? not sure, I'm Aussie) accent.