Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I really like my Hamilton Beach for work. It keeps the water close enough in temperature for multiple mugs (I got the one with a keep-warm function). I also use it to heat up water for my hot water bottle, if you're looking for things to use up more of the 2L capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I had a pleasant sticky rice puerh at a cafe while I was traveling recently and didn't get a chance to ask where it was from. Anybody have any sticky rice puerh recs? I've had mixed reactions to puerh til this one.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

this should be good https://yunnansourcing.com/products/2020-yunnan-sourcing-nuo-mi-xiang-ripe-pu-erh-tea-and-sticky-rice-herb

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I posted earlier about electric teakettles, and I ended up getting a Cosori, largely because of the small size and the push button temp settings. It's great so far. I don't think the spout pours too slow, but then again, I'm usually just doing a cup or two at a time.

That leads me to a question, which is: why is temp so crucial to blacks at 212 vs greens at 180, etc? What happens if I were to steep a white or green tea at boiling, or a black tea at a lower temp than favorable?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Planet X posted:

I posted earlier about electric teakettles, and I ended up getting a Cosori, largely because of the small size and the push button temp settings. It's great so far. I don't think the spout pours too slow, but then again, I'm usually just doing a cup or two at a time.

That leads me to a question, which is: why is temp so crucial to blacks at 212 vs greens at 180, etc? What happens if I were to steep a white or green tea at boiling, or a black tea at a lower temp than favorable?

Those temps are general recommendations for starting with that specific style of tea. Green teas and others you might start with at a cooler temp are likely to release off flavors (astringency, grassy, bitter things). Inversely, black teas won't release their flavor as well at cooler temps (generally speaking). Sometimes you will want a higher temp for it with really short steep times, but 170-180 for 2-3 minutes is what you'll find on packaging.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

if you can control the temperature, you can inch your way upwards with, say a white or green, and then taste the differences. the hotter the water the more you extract, but lighter teas, such as green and white, will have more stuff in it that’ll taste bitter and unpleasant than darker teas, which have oxidised and thus lost a lot of (but not all of) that in the process. so you will want to have cooler water in order to get all the good flavours out without the bitter

ulvir fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 22, 2022

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

When I brew decent tea I usually steep it a few times, and I've found that inching up the temperature helps the flavor of the later extractions.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Planet X posted:

Mostly it's fine. I have had some Japanese greens that were legitimately sensitive to temperature, but I brew Chinese ones with boiling water all the time and it's good.

In general the hotter the water the more astringency you risk extracting. I drink a lot of Yunnan blacks and some of those will even be recommended for temps like 185. Brewing blacks teas at green tea temps is totally fine unless you're specifically looking for a bitter brew to pair with milk and sugar.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

beepsandboops posted:

I had a pleasant sticky rice puerh at a cafe while I was traveling recently and didn't get a chance to ask where it was from. Anybody have any sticky rice puerh recs? I've had mixed reactions to puerh til this one.

I have these mini tuos, its tasty. One little guy per session so its handy too.
https://yunnansourcing.com/products/sticky-rice-scent-ripe-pu-erh-mini-tuo-cha-nuo-mi-xiang?_pos=2&_sid=39f050da4&_ss=r

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Today I was enjoying the heck out of this ripe, its really smooth and refreshing. I'm saving the leaves for tomorrow as well because its the last I have. Time to get a bing I think

https://yeeonteaco.com/collections/puerh/products/2009-purple-tea-ripe-tea-cake-7342h

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Holy poo poo, how are these so cheap?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Strange Cares posted:

Holy poo poo, how are these so cheap?

they don't ferment the top quality leaves, and the mini tuos are often pressed with fragments and dust left over from larger bing processing. These little guys are not terribly dusty but the leaves aren't large either

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Bilirubin posted:

they don't ferment the top quality leaves, and the mini tuos are often pressed with fragments and dust left over from larger bing processing. These little guys are not terribly dusty but the leaves aren't large either

They do have higher grade ones out there but not a lot of western suppliers pick up and run with it since generally those are 'good enough' and also don't sell at nearly the order volume that other products do.

As an aside, I am still intending to put up tea thread 2022 but I have been side tracked in, uh, opening up a tea business - filed the LLC and getting the storefront set up right now, so hopefully I should be ready to launch by May, which is the original time table. I'll be able to do hosted and event tea services as well as retail stuff for the teas that I'm sourcing. Combine that with 3 other jobs that I'm working and volunteering for a tea ambassador program, music, dance, and weightlifting, and my schedule has been a little hectic.

I did take the time to write out a long form essay concerning tea recently though, which I'd like to share and invite commentary on:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13EXDpnCrU4fgpwRZ-j2o3eCMip5XnZT36bHcEH3GOdo/edit?usp=sharing

Maybe others in this thread might find it to be interesting, or not, I'm not your mom!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Do folks have any recommendations for a stovetop kettle that isn't complete garbage? Looking to pick one up as a gift for my mother, who doesn't like the electrics for her own reasons that I'm not going to argue with her about, and it seems like the build quality on anything under $100 is just shockingly low now: everything I've seen so far has had reviews like, "the coating on the interior came right off into my water after four weeks," or "the hot water literally melted the plastic" with pictures to back it up. I'd love to know if I can get her something that will stand the test of time.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I have a Copco brand cheapie from Target and it works fine. We're on our second. The first one was fine but it got all scaly and I didn't want to deal with it when I could get a new one for like $11 many years ago. Stainless steel is really expensive now so I'm sure a similar model will be, like, 20.

It usually whistles but sometimes the spout thingy needs to be pushed back in a bit.

It hasn't rusted out, nor did the first one.

Before that I boiled water in a 1 quart sauce pan.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Kestral posted:

Do folks have any recommendations for a stovetop kettle that isn't complete garbage? Looking to pick one up as a gift for my mother, who doesn't like the electrics for her own reasons that I'm not going to argue with her about, and it seems like the build quality on anything under $100 is just shockingly low now: everything I've seen so far has had reviews like, "the coating on the interior came right off into my water after four weeks," or "the hot water literally melted the plastic" with pictures to back it up. I'd love to know if I can get her something that will stand the test of time.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZSA84J

This one is good for both heating water on an electric stovetop and brewing the tea. I actually found it's about 1.5 liters, which is weird but whatever.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kestral posted:

We’ve had a stainless Chantal tea kettle for 15 years and it was in use at a relative’s for at least a few years prior. It was given to us when they switched to a gas range and it’s been used 3-5 times a day for many years. The rubber gasket is still in great condition and the whistle still works wonderfully. You don’t steep in it, so I don’t know if that’s something she needs or not. But I won’t ever need to do anything but replace the gasket in this thing.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Kestral posted:

It's a bit over the $100 mark, but I have the La Creuset classic teakettle (in red) and I like it a lot. It looks very nice on my otherwise ugly stove, it whistles loudly enough, cleans up easily, and nothing's melted or chipped off in the five or so years I've had it. Negative reviews often mention spluttering and spillage when you pour, but it only happens to me if I overfill it and/or try to pour when the water is still actively boiling, and the issue is not unique to this particular kettle.

I feel for you in the frustrating quest to find the right kettle. I went through the same thing a few years ago when the spout lid/whistle on my old kettle broke off and its wonderful banshee-grade shriek was silenced forever. I looked at several kettles at our local kitchen store and initially bought an adorably globular one (possibly a Chantal, but not sure), but had to return it because it didn't whistle (whistle is important because I need to hear it through multiple plaster walls). A shame because it was otherwise lovely. The guy pointed me towards the La Creuset, which was fortunately on sale at the time and not too much more expensive than the one I had to return.

One annoying thing about kettles in particular is that they're often not the stars of cookware product lines, so their production gets outsourced, even by the most prestigious brands. This doesn't mean that they're bad products, just that they're not necessarily at quite the level of materials and quality control as core products made at the companies' own factories. Tradeoff is a price point that's substantially lower than it'd be if it were made at the real factory.

I guess the main takeaway here is to go to a brick & mortar kitchen store where you can personally examine and handle a number of kettles before buying. Wasn't possible for me to gauge whistle loudness and quality for obvious reasons, but I was otherwise able to get a good sense of material quality and ergonomics and avoid options that seemed too flimsy or plasticky. And if you do order online, you might want to consider ordering the kettle from the manufacturer's own website or Williams Sonoma's online store or something instead of Amazon, which is absolutely infested with counterfeit garbage these days. Yet another option would be to hit up antique/vintage stores and look for a well-made old kettle that doesn't contain plastic. This is a crapshoot though because inventory at these places is highly variable and there may or may not be a suitable kettle available when you need it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

So there's a Chinese herb called Nuo Mi Xiang that tastes like sticky rice and companies in Yunnan province make pu'erh with a small amount of the herb. This is the best tea I have ever had, swear to god. https://yunnansourcing.com/products/2020-yunnan-sourcing-nuo-mi-xiang-ripe-pu-erh-tea-and-sticky-rice-herb

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Kestral posted:

Kalita Pelican kettle is lovely and I love using mine.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
went to the local korean shop today and got some ti kuan yin, oolong, and corn tea.

never even heard of corn tea before. I don't hate it, but the smell is definitely better than the taste imo. there just isn't much mouthfeel or flavor, unless I brewed it too hot

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

isaboo posted:

went to the local korean shop today and got some ti kuan yin, oolong, and corn tea.

never even heard of corn tea before. I don't hate it, but the smell is definitely better than the taste imo. there just isn't much mouthfeel or flavor, unless I brewed it too hot

I'm partial to roasted buckwheat or barley, as tisanes go

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

You might try adding some sugar or honey to the corn tea. That's what we did at a place I worked at and I think it makes it a lot tastier.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I adore roasted barley, but I ran out of it recently. I'll have to get some more in the future but Yunomi had a spring sale and whoops I kind of single-mindedly picked up some new stuff.

I remember having a bag of corn tea a couple months back - great corn aroma, but the actual taste felt kinda thin, so same experience here, I'd say. Not bad, but I personally wouldn't be going back to it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

So there's a Chinese herb called Nuo Mi Xiang that tastes like sticky rice and companies in Yunnan province make pu'erh with a small amount of the herb. This is the best tea I have ever had, swear to god. https://yunnansourcing.com/products/2020-yunnan-sourcing-nuo-mi-xiang-ripe-pu-erh-tea-and-sticky-rice-herb

I ordered some of this tea after reading this post and I love it. Thanks for the tip!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
throughout the day I often find myself thinking about tea and the next time I'll be able to drink some

also I love to just smell my bags of loose leaf

tea is good tea forever tea is life

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I may have been known to nibble on tea leaves.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I always swallow the broken bits and pieces of tea that ends up in my cup. no shame, no regrets

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Everyone does that, don't they?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I am inveterate gyokuro drinker and I will often take the spent leaves and either put them on top of sushi or put a little soy sauce on them and eat them straight

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Heath posted:

I am invertebrate gyokuro drinker and I will often take the spent leaves and either put them on top of sushi or put a little soy sauce on them and eat them straight

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

You can also use em for Burmese tea leaf salad. Typically people will buy premade tea leaf stuff but you don't have to.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

You can also use em for Burmese tea leaf salad. Typically people will buy premade tea leaf stuff but you don't have to.

Demanding a recipe for this

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Heath posted:

Demanding a recipe for this

Yeah let’s go!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

You put this idea into my head. Please do not question the logistics of an octopus drinking tea or criticize my anatomy because I didn't use a reference

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I love it :kimchi:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
If that’s your anatomy I have questions about how you use a keyboard.

I too like it.

I’m very excited as my tea trees have started growing for the year and I’m hoping I can convince them to put in some good growth. Maybe I’ll sneak a few new leaves from the bottom branches at probably the wrong time for picking and make a single cup of tea with them.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Heath posted:

You put this idea into my head. Please do not question the logistics of an octopus drinking tea or criticize my anatomy because I didn't use a reference

:cthulhu:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Gonna place an order for the sticky rice pu'erh from Yunnan Sourcing -- any other recommendations so it makes the shipping worthwhile?

Nowadays I mostly drink black and pu'erh teas, so maybe a sampler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Are there any good tea timer apps? Particularly for multiple steeps.